PDA

View Full Version : Any new Insight Technology stuff from SHOT?

RAM Engineer
02-13-08, 06:30
Nothing new on their website. Did they have anything new at SHOT? Anything in Flat Dark Earth, maybe?:D

ToddG
02-13-08, 10:39
Just going off memory, and not sure if it's all really brand-new for SHOT:

The Typhoon (also branded for Blackhawk as the Gladius) is getting a boost in power up to 200 lumens, I think. It will also be available in different plastic colors (black, tan, green ... can't remember exactly) as well as new aluminum versions in some pretty bold colors. Think iPod.

A slightly thinner, all-metal light with around 140 lumen output is being made as an alternative to the Typhoon. Instead of using the rotating tail cap collar for switching between momentary, strobe, and dim settings everything is done through the tail cap button. Press it momentarily and it's momentary. Double-tap it and it strobes. Keep it pressed down and it dims. A buddy and I gave them hell over this ridiculous switching. Not only does it take good timing to get the strobe to work, but if you hold the button down for a few seconds (like, say, under stress) the light quickly dims away to nothing.

They've also got some rifle mounting gear for these lights.

In the pistol/small weapon light world, they have the "Procyon" which is a metal light capable of strobing. Since the excellent push/rotate switching from the X200/X300 is patented, Insight uses an interesting split switch that allows identical operation on the left and right sides of the lever. However, the strobe function is again achieved by double-tapping the lever, which can be hit or miss.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_P1010004.JPG

I've got one or two of the Procyon's on the way for T&E.

There was also a new 4-beam green laser designed for keeping people/vehicles at stand off distances, but I don't think it's commercially available. :cool:

MH64
02-14-08, 02:11

In the pistol/small weapon light world, they have the "Procyon" which is a metal light capable of strobing. Since the excellent push/rotate switching from the X200/X300 is patented, Insight uses an interesting split switch that allows identical operation on the left and right sides of the lever. However, the strobe function is again achieved by double-tapping the lever, which can be hit or miss.

Would like to hear what you think of the Procyon after playing with it awhile.

Renegade
02-14-08, 11:00
Nothing new on their website. Did they have anything new at SHOT? Anything in Flat Dark Earth, maybe?:D

Lots of new MIL/LEO stuff you cannot buy (IR, etc). :mad:

NCPatrolAR
03-12-08, 23:43

The Typhoon (also branded for Blackhawk as the Gladius) is getting a boost in power up to 200 lumens, I think. It will also be available in different plastic colors (black, tan, green ... can't remember exactly) as well as new aluminum versions in some pretty bold colors. Think iPod.

A slightly thinner, all-metal light with around 140 lumen output is being made as an alternative to the Typhoon. Instead of using the rotating tail cap collar for switching between momentary, strobe, and dim settings everything is done through the tail cap button. Press it momentarily and it's momentary. Double-tap it and it strobes. Keep it pressed down and it dims. A buddy and I gave them hell over this ridiculous switching. Not only does it take good timing to get the strobe to work, but if you hold the button down for a few seconds (like, say, under stress) the light quickly dims away to nothing.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_P1010004.JPG

There was also a new 4-beam green laser designed for keeping people/vehicles at stand off distances, but I don't think it's commercially available. :cool:

Any updates on this?

ToddG
03-13-08, 08:53
Nothing yet. :)