PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo question......

jmoore
11-04-12, 17:21
Is anyone aware of a one-stop chart that has the dimension of all of the Ameriglo front/rear sights? A comparison with other major sights would be even better. (yes - I'm looking for sight version of "the chart" :). TIA. john

Straight Shooter
11-04-12, 18:50
Last time I looked, on the website itself it gives height/width dimensions of all the sights they sell.
Is that what your looking for?
BTW- Im running the Ameriglo CAP sights on my new Gen 3..MOST EXCELLENT Ive ever used on a defense pistol.

jmoore
11-04-12, 19:12
Glad to hear feedback on the CAP sights! I'm torn between either a CAP front or a Hack - with Pro Operator rears. Yeh - i'm in that minority who like 3 dot systems.

For those who have Pro Operators, HOW bright are they compared to Glock factory 3 dots - which I love for their brightness?

FWIW - I have a Dan Wesson Valor with Heinie Straight 8s , and they are THE dimmest sights I've ever (almost) seen!!!! IMO - there are just times when brightness really matters, which is what I like about the Glock factory night sights. OTOH - I think I could do better in straight daylight with either the CAP or Hack front.

Thanks for any & all feedback/input.
john

Denali
11-04-12, 23:45
Glad to hear feedback on the CAP sights! I'm torn between either a CAP front or a Hack - with Pro Operator rears. Yeh - i'm in that minority who like 3 dot systems.

For those who have Pro Operators, HOW bright are they compared to Glock factory 3 dots - which I love for their brightness?

FWIW - I have a Dan Wesson Valor with Heinie Straight 8s , and they are THE dimmest sights I've ever (almost) seen!!!! IMO - there are just times when brightness really matters, which is what I like about the Glock factory night sights. OTOH - I think I could do better in straight daylight with either the CAP or Hack front.

Thanks for any & all feedback/input.
john

I run Ameriglo "Pro" series night sights on all of my Glock pistols, or at least I used too. This past summer I encountered severe corrosion issues with them. I'm out in the field every day, often in the national forest, where the environment can be harsh to say the least. At any rate, I had two different sets go very quickly, they were mounted to a G22, which is packed in an uncle Mikes Duty belt and holster. The first set was exposed to mosquito repellant, the resulting corrosion was quite dramatic, particularly the speed with which it set in.

There was nothing you could do, however Ameriglo was good about things and replaced them, unfortunately they proved equally vulnerable, and they too rotted. I ended up reverting to the stock Glock night sights, which are actually a little brighter(they are green, the Ameriglo's were amber)and treated to the nitride bath. They are not as fast to aqquire as the Ameriglo's, but they are far more durable...

I still have Ameriglo's mounted to my other Glock pistols, five sets. They have been just fine, but they are not packed on a daily basis either...

My advice, they are nice sights, they offer superior visibility, but they are environmentally vulnerable, at least mine were, so you'll need to keep an eye to them....Good luck..

jmoore
11-05-12, 10:32
I run Ameriglo "Pro" series night sights on all of my Glock pistols, or at least I used too. This past summer I encountered severe corrosion issues with them..

Just the kind of info I need up front. I sweat like a pig (however they sweat:) - so corrosion is always an issue (even though I'm in the last frickin no-ccw state in the nation.) Even so - it would certainly influence my decision to buy. Actually - now that you mention it - I recall others compolaining about the same issue. Heinies are melonite, I believe, but they are just too damn dim for my old eyes.

Looks like I may stick with the factory night sights, and just do a little careful painting of the front sight with some dayglo paint. All I'm really looking for is a little better vis in daylight.

Thanks again! - john

Nephrology
11-05-12, 10:47
Just the kind of info I need up front. I sweat like a pig (however they sweat:) - so corrosion is always an issue (even though I'm in the last frickin no-ccw state in the nation.) Even so - it would certainly influence my decision to buy. Actually - now that you mention it - I recall others compolaining about the same issue. Heinies are melonite, I believe, but they are just too damn dim for my old eyes.

Looks like I may stick with the factory night sights, and just do a little careful painting of the front sight with some dayglo paint. All I'm really looking for is a little better vis in daylight.

Thanks again! - john

I too have had issues with corrosion on my Ameriglos but nothing that a little solvent and a rag didn't fix quite easily. I am not marching through a swamp on a daily basis, however... just living in an excessively humid part of the country..

Denali
11-05-12, 21:08
I too have had issues with corrosion on my Ameriglos but nothing that a little solvent and a rag didn't fix quite easily. I am not marching through a swamp on a daily basis, however... just living in an excessively humid part of the country..

A thing I've taken to doing in the wake of my experience is applying eezox via Q-tip applicators to the entire sight, especially between the rear tritium tubes. Eezox is very reliable as a corrosion preventative in harsh environments. I apply it weekly, and allow it to completely dry, if I've had any especially harsh exposure I apply it again that day.

One thing though, I don't like mounting sights that need babying, Glocks OEM nigh sights may not have all the glitz of others, but they are tough as nails, I know that they will not corrode...

Salamander
11-06-12, 18:30
I run Ameriglo "Pro" series night sights on all of my Glock pistols, or at least I used too. This past summer I encountered severe corrosion issues with them. I'm out in the field every day, often in the national forest, where the environment can be harsh to say the least. At any rate, I had two different sets go very quickly, they were mounted to a G22, which is packed in an uncle Mikes Duty belt and holster. The first set was exposed to mosquito repellant, the resulting corrosion was quite dramatic, particularly the speed with which it set in.

There was nothing you could do, however Ameriglo was good about things and replaced them, unfortunately they proved equally vulnerable, and they too rotted. I ended up reverting to the stock Glock night sights, which are actually a little brighter(they are green, the Ameriglo's were amber)and treated to the nitride bath. They are not as fast to aqquire as the Ameriglo's, but they are far more durable...

I still have Ameriglo's mounted to my other Glock pistols, five sets. They have been just fine, but they are not packed on a daily basis either...

My advice, they are nice sights, they offer superior visibility, but they are environmentally vulnerable, at least mine were, so you'll need to keep an eye to them....Good luck..

Thanks for the info, it will be factored in since I'm currently looking into night sights.

We have basically two seasons here, raining and not raining. Humidity is relatively low in summer, but from late October to early April, anything that stands still for more than five minutes grows moss. I'm also five miles off the coast (and often work within sight of the Pacific), so salt spray is a concern, and I'm in the backcountry a lot. Using anything with a history of rust is probably asking for trouble.

AmeriGlo
11-11-12, 10:41
AmeriGlo now uses Black Nitride finish ( http://www.blacknitride.com/whatis.html ) on new tritium sights (as of Oct 2012) and will use Black Nitride on all new production going forward.