PDA

View Full Version : The Multicam Surcharge

LukeMacGillie
02-13-08, 08:45
So I have to ask, is Crye fabric all that more expensive than ACU or Coyote cordura?

Or is the extra price that everyone charges for items in Multicam based on the fact that the folks who use it are either spending mommy and daddy's money, or the fact that they go to war on TDY instead of deployment orders?

Went to order a particular item, a stock pouch for a SWS and the price doubled if you ordered in MC. :mad:

Ben Lenett
02-13-08, 08:55
There is an increase of cost on the MC nylon, but.....not double.

Diz
02-13-08, 09:07
I pay a little more for it but I don't think it justifies a significant price increase. Maybe when you scale it out to huge production runs, but even at that, methinks some people are gouging the market.

It could be also be a matter of supply and demand. Sometimes it's hard to get, sometimes it's unavailable. So with a single (authentic) choice of vendor, you have to buy a shit-load to stay in-stock, tying up funds, or run the risk of being out-of-stock. I think that also has something to do with why some people are charging a premium for it.

When it's all said and done, when enough people are buying it, it will be just as available as khaki tan or ranger green. Until that time, you may run into extra charges for it.

Stephen_H
02-13-08, 09:08
So I have to ask, is Crye fabric all that more expensive than ACU or Coyote cordura?

Or is the extra price that everyone charges for items in Multicam based on the fact that the folks who use it are either spending mommy and daddy's money, or the fact that they go to war on TDY instead of deployment orders?

Went to order a particular item, a stock pouch for a SWS and the price doubled if you ordered in MC. :mad:

We pay less than a dollar more per yard. I think the premium asked for ACU and Multicam by some manufacturers is ridiculous to be quite frank with you. The 1000d Cordura is a very small part of the cost of most products with the highest cost being labor followed in a distant second by the webbing (especially when the product is MOLLE compatible). I could understand if it were a large travel bag or was otherwise built with a large amount of Cordura, but even then it is simpler for me as a manufacturer to offer one price to my customers and let them decide if our products are worth it. Then again, we use a premium low-IR solution dyed Cordura for all our products. Our price gap between Multicam and our other patterns might be narrower because of this.

As you can tell, ATS offers one price across the board for all colors for our ATS line:D

Stephen

cohiba
02-13-08, 14:21
I happen to own a couple of pieces of multicam and I have always paid the slight premium thinking it was going to Crye as some sort of licensing fee. It was always a few dollars though, never double.

BTW, I spend Daddy's money. Mom didn't work. Not that staying home with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. isn't work. I mean, it's pretty damn hard. And it's not like she didn't get anything but she didn't get a paycheck every week. So like I said, Daddy's money.;)

LukeMacGillie
02-13-08, 16:15
I happen to own a couple of pieces of multicam and I have always paid the slight premium thinking it was going to Crye as some sort of licensing fee. It was always a few dollars though, never double.

BTW, I spend Daddy's money. Mom didn't work. Not that staying home with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. isn't work. I mean, it's pretty damn hard. And it's not like she didn't get anything but she didn't get a paycheck every week. So like I said, Daddy's money.;)

Come on now, you know I was talking about you, Your not pissed that I got a MC Bikini Top for my Jeep are you?:cool:

Its the plastic BB shooting folks I was speaking of:mad:

DIYTactical
02-25-08, 00:03
There is no license needed to use multicam you just need to buy the fabric through Crye. This is of course assuming you are using the standard fabrics they stock. If you want to have a special fabric printed then I'm sure there's a licensing process.

Multicam Cordura is more expensive than other Camo printed fabric, but I suspect the surcharge is because demand exceeds supply and the fact that MC is such a pain in the ass to get.