PDA

View Full Version : Flummoxed by Bipods

Will_Power
11-04-12, 20:45
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building out my first AR-15 and am focusing on a precision rifle to improve my marksmanship with. This is the same build I pestered folks with regarding quality triggers in another thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113430).

Now, can I pick your brains about bipods?

I initially was planning on the VLTOR Modpod (I liked its low center of gravity, wide footprint, and how it folded up and away from your hand if you use a VFG), but after reading reviews, its plastic legs seem extremely suspect. As such, I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm getting close to hitting the wall with my budget, so the Harris line of bipods seems attractive based on price point alone. Trouble is, they have a ton of different models, and I am uncertain what features I should look for.

Also, what's the word on picatinny mounts? Any in particular? Are their budget items that are acceptable?

Thanks.

JohnnyC
11-04-12, 21:12
I run a Harris BRMS, that's the 6-9" notched-leg with swivel with a podloc for the swivel and have it on a KAC picatinny adapter. I don't think you need any special picatinny adapter as long as it isn't crap, they're very simple adapters.

Anyway, it works fine and your limitation will be the mag length as far as getting low, but you could easily step up to the 9-13" size and be fine.

I think the Atlas is too expensive, but it's a nice piece of gear. I don't think there's any plastic bipod worth a damn considering loading the bipod is designed to put pressure on it.

Will_Power
11-04-12, 23:40
...you could easily step up to the 9-13" size and be fine...

So that's not too high for shooting from prone if you set it at 9"?

taliv
11-05-12, 09:58
my recommendation is same as Johnny's. it's all i run on ARs and bolt guns.

i use the 6-9". 6" when i'm on level ground, but often 9" because it's hilly around here and micro-terrain and barricades etc...

i will say that if you have a very large chest/gut, you should get the next longer size as 6" will probably be comfortable for your neck.

Kokopelli
11-05-12, 10:38
I like the GG&G offering.. Better pricing is available on the web as well.. Ron

http://www.gggaz.com/standard-xds-swivel-bipod.html

JohnnyC
11-06-12, 01:44
I shoot prone with 20 rounders, actually never tried 30 rounders with a bipod. If 30 rounders don't work, that would be my reason for stepping up to the 9-13. It just hasn't been a problem for me yet, but something for you to consider.

swinokur
11-06-12, 15:30
Many bipod adapters out there. I bought mine directly from Harris.

www.harrisbipods.com

prices vary

JohnnyC
11-06-12, 22:22
Many bipod adapters out there. I bought mine directly from Harris.

www.harrisbipods.com

prices vary

That's not directly from Harris. They're a retail shop that's not affiliated with them aside from owning the domain name and selling the product. Harris does not have a webpage.

That's not to say they're going to screw you, just that you're not actually ordering from Harris, just a reseller.

"We sell the complete line of Harris Bipods and adapters at discounted prices.
For repairs and warranty issues please call the manufacturer at (270) 334-3633"

From their website. At least they don't disguise the fact that they are not the manufacturers.