PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking question?

SWATcop556
11-05-12, 00:18
So I've picked up backpacking in a big way here over the past year. I'm still new at all of it and I'm moving from bumming my equipment from my buddies to wanting to get my own gear.

I'm big into research and comparisons so what would you guys say is the "m4c" of the backpacking world? I'm not interested in shilling companies. I want quality information.

Also any good magazines I can dive into? I'm not local to many good outdoor retail stores (REI and such) but we do have Gander Mtn. though the prices are MSRP.

If you can't post in GD please feel free to PM me. Also please let me know your background in the area as well just to gauge info but all input is welcome!

SeriousStudent
11-05-12, 00:30
Backpacker and Outside magazines have annual gear guides that are worth reading. Even if you do not agree with the gear they picked, reading their evaluation criteria is worthwhile.

And their websites are not bad.

http://www.backpacker.com/

Just as there are makers on the right side of the chart, there are gear makers that produce quality stuff. I'm a fan of MSR, Mountain Hardwear, Mystery Ranch, and others.

Congrats - if you are a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy, you have just found another expensive hobby. ;)

theblackknight
11-05-12, 00:46
I'll 2nd outside magazine.

My local non big box store has legit people on staff who actually hike trails. http://greatoutdoorprovision.com/main/

One of the guys did the NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail and he was my bestest buddy for footcare advice when I was rucking for some schools and stuff.

SWATcop556
11-05-12, 12:42
I'm definitely a buy once cry once guy. I've got a lot of the clothing and layers just from being an outdoors guy to begin with. I'm looking at packs, stoves, bags, and associated gear with the actual overnighters.

My buddy bought me a Kelty tent for my birthday and I'm borrowing his Mountain Hardware sleeping bag and a REI pack.

I'm just looking for good sources for quality info.

SeriousStudent thanks for the PM and I'll get back to you ASAP.

J-Dub
11-05-12, 13:43
Also, dont over look milsurp stuff like Alice frame packs and such.

It doesnt have to be bright neon colors or some super new material to work. (not saying thats how you are/think at all).

Might want to look at a pocket rocket.

K.I.S.S.

Checkout Sierra Trading Post. Im lucky enough to have a store locally. Picked up a new pair of North Face hiking boots for 90 bucks, regulary sell for 170.00. They have TONS of Carhartt stuff too for cheap (which i love.)

11-05-12, 13:45
What up J? Good to see you pickin' up something besides a Shiner Bock.:D

Been hiking for years. We just moved west and the house is at 5000ft. with the nearest trailhead about 500yds. away. Been spending lots of time getting up to around 10000ft. Nothing like starting at
50F and ending up in snow and at 30F. Start with quality boots; been in Asolo TPS 520's for about 2yrs. now and have run them in dry 95F heat and 20F with snow. Great boots for wet weather.

REI.com is a good site to check out/buy equip. Backpacker and Outside are okay, but getting out and shaking down gear is the best way to get answers and make decisions. Backpacking/hiking gear is just like AR's. You'll buy and discard what doesn't work for you. You'll need to pick up some celebrity personal protection details to afford your new habit.:p

PM if you have any ?'s.

500grains
11-05-12, 13:50
good places for equipment and clothes:

campmor.com

sierratradingpost.com

My background is wilderness backpack hunting, so I have had to carry winter gear (heavy). Weight it at an absolute premium, and I have done it in 2 feet of snow as well as in multi-day snow storms.

On sleeping bags let me offer a comment. There are about 5 top name brands that do not lie about their temperature rating (North Face and Marmot being the ones I have experience with). The others lie about their temp rating by at least 20 degrees.

Also, a good fleece balaclava adds 10 degrees of warmth to any outfit.

I live at 7488 feet elevation, so most of my experience is at high altitude, not the low altitude and rainy conditions that may be found in some parts of the east coast.

Also, leave cotton at home.

J-Dub
11-06-12, 14:10
You should backpack through Big Bend Nat'l Park....and do a picture essay. That would be awesome.

chuckman
11-06-12, 14:24
I would add rei outlet, on their website. Some of their closeouts and clearance stuff is for cheap, comparatively speaking.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-06-12, 15:35
Backpacker magazine was the one I always got although I no longer subscribe. It usually had good information, destinations, trails, reviews, etc.

I am lucky and have an REI close so I usually go here. I have also purchased a lot of stuff through SierraTradingPost.com I am actually looking at their latest mailer now. Sign up for their email specials as they have pretty good ones on a regular basis. Although be warned, they send emails on a fairly regular basis(and by regular I mean all the time). I also second the above mentioned campmor.com and the REI outlet. I have spent a lot of money at all of these.

Get a jetboil stove, totally worth it. Especially in the morning for that cup of coffee. Nothing like having a cup of coffee in under a couple of minutes. I resisted the urge to buy one since I had a nice MSR stove, but finally gave in and am 100% happy I did.

I have an Arc'teryx backpack and couldn't recommend it more, but above all else make sure you get one that fits. If you can get to an REI they can do a real measurement to make sure you get the correct one.

The wife and I have a Kelty 3 person 3 season tent. Wasn't too expensive, easy to set up and is fairly light. Gives us a little extra room over the two person so we can move our gear inside if it is raining.

Just like guns, I am a subscriber to the buy once cry once way of thinking. Good gear does not make a good backpacking trip, but it can make it easier and more comfortable which means you will want to go more and take longer trips. I can't wait for our daughter to get a little older so we can start taking longer trips again, as it is now we try to keep it under 3 nights. I am by no means an expert. I have backpacked on and off since my Boy Scout Camp Philmont days. Usually it is up into Arkansas now days to keep the driving to a minimum but still provide some mountain type terrain and scenery. Not a lot of that around Dallas.

Moose-Knuckle
11-06-12, 19:38
good places for equipment and clothes:

campmor.com

sierratradingpost.com

Add to these two retailers Backcountry (http://www.backcountry.com/?CMP_ID=PD_GOO001&mv_pc=r101&mkwid=s7u9OqsD1|pcrid|17611942875&002=2444567&004=1623293985&005=389122740&006=17611942875&007=Search&008=&gclid=COS2pZDcu7MCFRR7nAodAF0Aew).

rljatl
11-06-12, 19:41
Never forget - (ultra) light is right. Even your backpack should be as lightweight as possible.

http://www.backpacking.net/

Irish
11-06-12, 21:00
Check out the Hill People Gear Kit Bag thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77315). It's a winner for backpacking!