PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 62gr bonded "FBI Load" bullets...should they look like this?

Warp
11-05-12, 12:49
I figured this might fit better, and get more responses, in here. The 62gr bonded bullet used in the 5.56 FBI load by Winchester (RA556B and Q3313) as well as by Silver State Armory (and maybe others?)...are they supposed to look like this?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20121105_124943_zps61a3434e.jpg

jstone
11-05-12, 13:15
That is what the bullets look like. If you want me to post pics of just the projectiles so you can see them let me know. What you have is normal.

Warp
11-05-12, 13:34
That is what the bullets look like. If you want me to post pics of just the projectiles so you can see them let me know. What you have is normal.

Excellent. And thank you. :)

If it isn't too much trouble I would like to see just the projectile, yes. I suppose I could pull one of these bullets, but at $1.50 per round I'd rather not, lol

jstone
11-05-12, 20:15
Im not at home right now, and Im not sure what time i will be home. If i do not post them tonight i Will tomorrow morning before i leave.

Edit: don't waste one of those rounds just to look at the projectile. Look like i will not be getting home till late, but i should have the pics up before noon (west coast) tomorrow. It more than likely will be much earlier. I will get to it when i wake up noon would be the latest. If your that interested in having one of the bullets to look over i could mail you one to examine. I would offer more, but Im not sure when if ever i will be able to get more. I also have offered some to a member that does tests (not gelatin) shooting various bullets through barriers then catches them in water. Im not sure how many he will need for tests, and i only have 500.

markm
11-06-12, 07:56
Man...

I'd never run a bullet with that shape for Defensive purposes. After shooting those stupid SOST 62 gr OTMs... I'm a pointy bullet man.

Even the Gold Dot makes me a little nervouse now.

Traveshamockery
11-07-12, 16:16
Man...

I'd never run a bullet with that shape for Defensive purposes. After shooting those stupid SOST 62 gr OTMs... I'm a pointy bullet man.

Even the Gold Dot makes me a little nervouse now.

Why is that?

markm
11-08-12, 07:21
Out of 1500 rounds we got 4 or 5 total set backs. I mean bullet all the way back into the case... and powder in the barrel extension and everything. Complete mess.

This was on 3 different known Carbines. With 5 times that many SMKs fired, We've never had a feeding issue.

I'm convinced that this is the reason those bullets were bulk dumped for reloading.

Traveshamockery
11-08-12, 09:42
Out of 1500 rounds we got 4 or 5 total set backs. I mean bullet all the way back into the case... and powder in the barrel extension and everything. Complete mess.

This was on 3 different known Carbines. With 5 times that many SMKs fired, We've never had a feeding issue.

I'm convinced that this is the reason those bullets were bulk dumped for reloading.

So they were getting set back by the impact on the feed ramp? Wow.

markm
11-08-12, 10:56
Yep. These were cannalured bullets with a crimp too.