PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Gen M3 PMAG Overview W/ Pics Edit--Review Posted

plouffedaddy
11-05-12, 17:40
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1335.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1341.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1340.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1343.jpg

Well I'm still testing these mags (so far, so good) so no full review yet but here's a quick overview:

Things that are different:
-New polymer material for increased strength & durability. I can't feel a difference but Magpul says it's different
-Modified external/internal geometry so they can be used in multiple platforms to include the HK416, MR556A1, SA-80, SCAR 16/16s, M27 IAR, and possibly others
-The bolt catch cutout has been re-designed for use in the weapons above
-The slide has an overtravel stop to ensure it can't go to far into the magwell which can cause issues with the bolts on non-AR rifles
-Floorplate is slimmer to allow a better fit in dual mag pouches

Things that are the same:
-The proven stainless spring is the same
-The anti-tilt follower and curvature of the mag is the same. The follower is marked differently (see video) but is shaped the same
-Disassembly is the same; no tools required
-Still includes the dust/impact cover and it works on both the 'old' and new Gen M3
-Still made in the USA

Here's a video with some close ups, a bunch of additional photos at the end, and demonstrations of what I was talking about above:

MAGPUL GEN M3 HD OVERVIEW VIDEO LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsaEGS5KhA)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1344.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1338.jpg

Fairweather8588
11-05-12, 17:43
Thanks for the review, do you feel that the changes make it worthy of the price difference with the older gens already having a stellar reputation?

jaxman7
11-05-12, 18:15
Not a big issue but on the new PMAGs it looks like the dust cover cannot be clipped to the bottom of mag. Correct?

-Jax

SPQR476
11-05-12, 18:30
Correct. Can't be clipped to the bottom. Found that it was a feature not many cared about, and we could further optimize the design for strength by omitting it.

jaxman7
11-05-12, 18:42
Gotcha. Thanks for chiming in Duane.

-Jax

vicious_cb
11-05-12, 18:54
What Id like to know is does the overtravel stop cause compatibility issues with various different mag pouches designed for the pmag.

plouffedaddy
11-05-12, 19:09
What Id like to know is does the overtravel stop cause compatibility issues with various different mag pouches designed for the pmag.

I have a few and will be testing them out. I've only used them in 1 (tactical tailor) so far and it was good to go but time (and a bunch of mag changes) will tell.

das
11-05-12, 19:33
Nice review. Thanks for the info.

ilike9s
11-05-12, 19:36
Very nice review thanks for the info.

Fuzzy-Reticle
11-05-12, 19:41
Ah crap! Well now all the other P-Mags out there are worthless.

Please act responsibly and send all of your outdated worthless P-Mags to me for proper disposal. :D

SPQR476
11-05-12, 20:14
We've done Tac tailor, Eagle, Tyr, HSGI, ATS, TAG, Blue Force, and a few others. Some testers have indicated hang ups when using tall 3 mag shingles with short bungees--the bungee snagging on the over insertion stop when removing the middle
mag first. The stop is ramped to avoid this, however, and we've been unable to duplicate this with the pouch they've had issues with, so we're looking at it closer. From looking at it, if there is any bungee snagging, adding a smudge to the bungee length would solve it. In all cases where we've intentionally tried to snag the tab, the most we can get is a very slight hesitation, and then the bungee pops over the ramped stop.

We didn't just do this in the office and call it good...we've been running these on the dynamics side for a few months, and my gear is having an identity crisis from all the pouch swaps.

Even on really tight shingles that are optimized for USGI, wetting and stretching with shims has provided drama free operation with the GEN M3.

On side by side pouches if they're not optimized for PMAGs, they're about the same fit as with PMAGS, but on side by sides that have a little extra give or optimized for PMAGS, the slimmer floorplates make for a better fit, if that makes sense.

Blak1508
11-05-12, 20:17
Just ordered a few ... thanks for the review.

sinlessorrow
11-05-12, 20:22
What was the main thought behind adding the stop to the magazine?

SPQR476
11-05-12, 20:42
The stop serves 2 main functions: First, it means we have an even greater margin of durability in loaded weapon drop tests, including cold weather. Second, it prevents over-insertion in even the most abusive open-bolt reloads.

Warp
11-05-12, 22:04
Those ridges running down the edge...do they make a noticeable difference while handling the mag?

plouffedaddy
11-05-12, 22:13
Those ridges running down the edge...do they make a noticeable difference while handling the mag?

I have grip tape on some of mine---that makes a noticeable difference but also causes some fabrics to fray. These don't make a noticeable difference to me but very well may to others.

SMETNA
11-05-12, 22:41
Must . . . . . . Move . . . . . . To . . . . A . . . . . Free . . . . . . . . . State . . . . . Must . . . . . . . Get . . . . . Rid . . . . . Of . . . . . . Old . . . . . Pre . . . . Ban . . . . . . . . . Garbage . . . . . . . . Jam-0-matics . . .

Sent from my phone while I was on the toilet pooping

Warp
11-05-12, 22:51
Do (the old) Ranger Plates fit the new mags?

SPQR476
11-05-12, 23:18
No, the new floorplates go on from the rear. GEN M3 Ranger plates will be out "soon". (SHOT show-ish time frame)

DJ_Skinny
11-05-12, 23:39
OP, thanks for the great review. Would love to hear some follow up thoughts once you've tested them for a while.

Duane, are there plans to do similar updates with the .308 PMAGs? I noticed that the PMAG shipping with the Colt LE901 is "Colt spec" and has the same feature to prevent overtravel. Just wondering if this is going to translate to the regular magazines in the future. Thanks for chiming in here.

Split66
11-05-12, 23:58
New super reliable Generation 2 Magpul 20 rounder next?

Thanks for the review Plouffe......:D

Brahmzy
11-06-12, 00:18
Pretty crazy these don't fit the Noveske rifles. That's a big pisser for Noveske, and, well, their owners. Now I have various mags that work/don't work in certain rifles. I remember 6mo ago seeing the over travel stop and posting "those ain't gonna fit the Gen2 Noveske lowers" - sure nuff, they don't.

I'm sure you could 45 the stop and they'd fit (they're close) but I'd hate to take a grinder to a bunch of brand new mags.

It ain't Magpul's job to fit all lowers, plain and simple. Wish Noveske would've allowed a little more clearance in their magwell. Then, USGI fits the N lowers just fine. Cat n mouse.

SPQR476
11-06-12, 00:32
The GEN M3 improvements will make their way across the line, and we'll have some new additions as well. We've got several of them in final testing right now, and anticipate most being out by the end of Q1 2013, some shipping by SHOT. We're trying to be better at staying quiet about product until we're pretty far along, so you can also expect more releases at the NRA show in May that we won't talk about at SHOT, then another round in the fall, then...well, you get the idea.

The Colt-spec mag is still GEN M2 technology, for now.

Tier One Arms
11-06-12, 02:04
Any word on Noveske Gen II lower fitment? Also do you plan to release these in FDE?

Thanks

HackerF15E
11-06-12, 06:27
Thanks for the review, and Duane thanks for participating in the discussion and providing fill-ins on the new design.

Korgs130
11-06-12, 06:49
Thanks!

SPQR476
11-06-12, 08:45
Just happy to be here, guys.

On Noveske Gen 2 Lowers, you can sometimes seat them with a good smack...not that I'd recommend that, but it illustrates that there is very little material that would have to be removed from the stop if you want to run them in a Gen 2 lower. The second-hand info I have says that Noveske may be altering the design of their future lowers to accommodate the GEN M3, but I know that doesn't help current owners.

GUNSLINGER733
11-06-12, 09:27
I recieved mine yesterday and it looks good. I like the new floorplate design. I'll be using mine tomorrow when my aimpoint micro comes in.:)

dtibbals
11-06-12, 14:40
I received some of them today...the new mag is awesome! My SBR is built on a Seekins lower which the Gen 2 Pmags barely fit and you have to pull them out...the new mags go in and out like butter! I am super happy to get them, have another 20 on their way :)

Doc. Holiday
11-06-12, 15:11
Cool product, does the Gen 3 allow you to actually load to a full 30? I know with my Gen 2's I can only load 28. If I load the other two, it will not seat right. There was a thread on this a few months back on this.

Warp
11-06-12, 15:13
Cool product, does the Gen 3 allow you to actually load to a full 30? I know with my Gen 2's I can only load 28. If I load the other two, it will not seat right. There was a thread on this a few months back on this.

I've never had a problem putting 30 into mine. Actually, you can shove a 31st into there, IME, if you don't pay attention. This is why so many people load the full 30, instead of 28, in their PMAGs...that extra slack lets you reliably insert it on a closed bolt.

Link to thread?

SPQR476
11-06-12, 15:15

On the GEN 2's, loading 30 worked for some guns/users, and not so much for others. We've yet to find a combination that can't utilize the full 30 rounds in the GEN M3.

To clarify, of course 30 has always fit...just some found closed-bolt seating force objectionable with 30.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
11-06-12, 15:42
This is why I love this forum-- great info, thank you!

ROUTEMICHIGAN
11-06-12, 15:44
I've never had a problem putting 30 into mine. Actually, you can shove a 31st into there, IME, if you don't pay attention. This is why so many people load the full 30, instead of 28, in their PMAGs...that extra slack lets you reliably insert it on a closed bolt.

Link to thread?

Same here-- all my guns never had issues with seating on a fully loaded PMAG with a closed bolt.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
11-06-12, 16:04
Correct. Can't be clipped to the bottom. Found that it was a feature not many cared about, and we could further optimize the design for strength by omitting it.

Assume then that my existing Ranger plates will not fit on these new mags?

Doc. Holiday
11-06-12, 16:25

Link to thread?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113078 you can also do a search and there are a few more threads about people questioning similar problems.

Doc. Holiday
11-06-12, 16:26
On the GEN 2's, loading 30 worked for some guns/users, and not so much for others. We've yet to find a combination that can't utilize the full 30 rounds in the GEN M3.

To clarify, of course 30 has always fit...just some found closed-bolt seating force objectionable with 30.

Ok, that was what I was getting at.

Col_Crocs
11-06-12, 16:29
Any issues with these fitting Colt m16a1 lowers? My current RevMs load fine and drop free on mine but with very little room spare. It's since been kryloned and I initially had to wear down paint in the magwell with lube to stop the snagging.

ROUTEMICHIGAN: Not SPQR476, but no, they wont. He mentions on the first page that a Gen M3 Ranger plate will be coming out fornthe new mags.

plouffedaddy
11-06-12, 16:34

Mine have been loaded with 30 since they showed up---no problems with a closed bolt.

justlikeanyoneelse
11-07-12, 17:34
Correct, I was disappointed by that but the M3 Pmags are excellent, to say the least.

Assume then that my existing Ranger plates will not fit on these new mags?

SPQR476
11-07-12, 21:02
We had not identified any issues with snagging then (and still can't duplicate snags that impede use at all), and no one SHOULD have had any of the various pre-production sample field testing mags...cat may have been let out of the bag earlier than intended, however.

So...if you were reading a review of some the various pre-production field testing mags that may have leaked into hands earlier than we intended, then I apologize. We'd been running them so much that I seriously doubted that anyone could possibly be getting any snagging.

As it stands, we eventually did get the feedback on some users snagging on bungees when slid to the spine side of the mag being pulled from certain positions in triple mag shingles from a few of the test units, but release went ahead on timeline based partly on feedback from other field testing, dynamics testing, and after we had investigated and taken a hard look at the reports and tried to duplicate. I've got about 40 different mag pouches in my kit pile from the endeavor, Jon and Steve, as well...honestly gave it a hard look. We briefly considered changing the stop, but the benefits vs minimal potential issues make it worth keeping, especially since we couldn't duplicate.

We will be getting with some of the testing units to see if our pouches of the same brand are different than the ones that had issues, and to see any issues first hand. We're also in communication with the pouch maker.

We're not dismissing their concerns at all... We're going to dig at it a bit and hopefully find a solution that works for those users.

Blak1508
11-07-12, 21:10
Thank you for all of your information and keeping us in the loop, I have a few that should arrive Tmrw and my V1 is hungry for them. Thanks again.

tw4
11-12-12, 09:12
So im frickin sick to my stomach that these wont fit my new sbr'd G2 noveske lower- I need a mag to rock in my scar and AR - great another 10 mags for one gun and 10 for another. I was hoping not to have to use the dremill.

plouffedaddy
11-18-12, 20:20
PMAG Gen M3 HD Video Test Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZEFjKOjvg&feature=g-upl)

Finished up the test (see link above) where we (me and my work buddy who conveniently has a SCAR 16 that I could use :D but that range wouldn't let us film :nono:) used these mags in 5 ARs and the SCAR 16. Did a drop test with a fully loaded mag on concrete and ran some crappy ammo through them with 0 issues what-so-ever to report. Great mags. :D

Doc. Holiday
11-19-12, 09:25
Nice review.

skipper49
11-19-12, 09:33
I really like these, and I'm ordering some, but what a bummer that they don't fit my Noveske! Even the Gen II's are a tight fit in it.
Guess I'll have to be satisfied with USGI in it, and use the Gen III P-Mag in everything else. Not the best plan, but I like the P-Mag that much.

Skip

Todd.K
11-19-12, 16:13
Gen II lowers were changed earlier this year for the PMAG GEN M3 in the 4700-4800 serial number range.

Serial numbers 4800 and above will fit without any modification.

Earlier lowers have a shelf in the flared section for a magazine with a tab on the rear, unfourtinatly it is slightly narower than the tab on the PMAG GEN M3. I can seat the PMAG GEN M3 with a moderate amount of force in the earlier lowers. I say this not to recommend it, but to show how little needs to be trimmed off just the top corners of the tab to fit.

skipper49
11-19-12, 20:02
Thanks for the input, Todd. I'll be trying the "trim", as my N4 is serialed, 34**. Fantastic carbine, and glad to know I'll be able to use the Gen III's with so little work.

Skip

plouffedaddy
11-19-12, 20:55
Gen II lowers were changed earlier this year for the PMAG GEN M3 in the 4700-4800 serial number range.

Earlier lowers have a shelf in the flared section for a magazine with a tab on the rear, unfourtinatly it is slightly narower than the tab on the PMAG GEN M3. I can seat the PMAG GEN M3 with a moderate amount of force in the earlier lowers. I say this not to recommend it, but to show how little needs to be trimmed off just the top corners of the tab to fit.

Excellent information; I updated my review video. Thanks.

tw4
11-19-12, 21:05
Darn my gen 2 are 0800 and 1600

bzdog
11-19-12, 21:27
Rats. 5xx.

-john

tw4
11-19-12, 22:02
And I thought it was cool to be the first on the block with a gen 2

LtNovakUSA
11-19-12, 22:34
Small note, the Gen 3 follower and bottom plate are slightly different from the Gen 2. In the picture, Gen 3 is on top. They both work just as well, however you cant put the G3 spring and follower setup in a G2 mag body. The follower feels a little tighter going up the body and that bottom plate does not fit in. If you try to put the G2 setup in the G3 mag body the locking tab does not line up with the floor plate wont click in to lock. Just FYI.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8202260254_8ef0af8090_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737626@N05/8202260254/)
DSC00897 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737626@N05/8202260254/) by philnovak (http://www.flickr.com/people/80737626@N05/), on Flickr

feedramp
11-19-12, 22:34
Ah the downside of being an early adopter :)
(Got one in the sn#2000s here.)

Doc. Holiday
11-20-12, 08:45
Small note, the Gen 3 follower and bottom plate are slightly different from the Gen 2. In the picture, Gen 3 is on top. They both work just as well, however you cant put the G3 spring and follower setup in a G2 mag body. The follower feels a little tighter going up the body and that bottom plate does not fit in. If you try to put the G2 setup in the G3 mag body the locking tab does not line up with the floor plate wont click in to lock. Just FYI.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8202260254_8ef0af8090_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737626@N05/8202260254/)
DSC00897 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737626@N05/8202260254/) by philnovak (http://www.flickr.com/people/80737626@N05/), on Flickr

Good to know! Thanks!

Ick
12-03-12, 13:30
Some awesome material in this thread. I will have to get out my magazines... I think I have from each generation.

johnpuga1982
12-17-12, 20:23
Anyone check out these tests on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Magpul

Zhivago99
12-17-12, 22:04
Anyone know where these are in stock?

og556
12-17-12, 22:36
Every where is out of stock. Mags in general appear to be out of stock just about every where.

brushy bill
12-17-12, 22:46
Every where is out of stock. Mags in general appear to be out of stock just about every where.

Indeed

skipper49
12-17-12, 22:53
I ordered M3's from Brownells Saturday. Have not checked there tonight. I bought a Sig 716 a couple of weeks ago and have been rounding up P-Mags for it. They are harder to find by the day.

Skip

og556
12-18-12, 00:16
I snatched 10 from DSG arms on Saturday.

markm
12-18-12, 06:56
We've been playing with these for a few weeks.... and they're really no end user appreciable difference that I can find.

The base plate is hardly any thinner.... but I didn't mind the previous base plate width anyway.

The ass ache with these generation variations is that the parts are no longer compatible. We just had to toss out most of the covers since there not the same across the board. I generally don't use them anyway, but some high dust exposure mags benefit from the covers.

Doc. Holiday
12-18-12, 09:08

A. A Democratic President was just reelected
B. The gov is trying to ban hicap mags again
C. It Christmas time
D. They are the latest and greatest so everyone wants one

Not good timing for anyone...

USAFPararescueDoc66
12-18-12, 11:09
The main issue I had with PMag's was feeding lips breaking in cold conditions. Has anyone else expirienced this using PMag's? Specifically the Gen 3 Pmag's? I hope the new gen fixed that issue!

"That others may live"

markm
12-18-12, 11:12
I think there was one guy, Alaskapopo, who had that happen.

SPQR476
12-18-12, 11:20
Well, we tested, and continue to test for lot acceptance, the GEN M3 at -60. It survives the 5' loaded feedlip drop much better than a USGI at -60 in our testing, including live fire. You can see the videos of some tests on our YouTube channel, including the -60 function and drop. Significant improvement in extreme cold weather function was one of the goals of the M3 program that we feel we successfully achieved.

USAFPararescueDoc66
12-18-12, 11:32
Well, we tested, and continue to test for lot acceptance, the GEN M3 at -60. It survives the 5' loaded feedlip drop much better than a USGI at -60 in our testing, including live fire. You can see the videos of some tests on our YouTube channel, including the -60 function and drop. Significant improvement in extreme cold weather function was one of the goals of the M3 program that we feel we successfully achieved.

I am going to take a look at those videos and thank you for the response. I am going to pick up a few of the new Gen 3's and will run them hard in the cold and see how they do. I did not know if my problem was an isolated one, or there were other issues with the feeding lips. All honor to you.

berserker
12-18-12, 16:52
Ah, if only I could find some in stock somewhere....gen 2 or 3...bad timing on my part, as I'm not part of the panicked herd but spent too long hemming and hawing about whether I wanted to spend the money right now.

Anyone have any leads?

Airhasz
12-18-12, 20:31
Ah, if only I could find some in stock somewhere....gen 2 or 3...bad timing on my part, as I'm not part of the panicked herd but spent too long hemming and hawing about whether I wanted to spend the money right now.

Anyone have any leads?

Wideners has stainless D&H mags at regular prices.

Mauser KAR98K
12-18-12, 20:45

Can you post a picture or video of this. I have one of the EEAARRLLLYY N2s. 005XX sn.

I have one of the new Gen3 pmags and thus far I am satisfied with it (in my other ARs.)

Todd.K
12-19-12, 11:07
It's real busy around here now but when we have time for pics and get them posted I'll put up a link.

bzdog
12-19-12, 14:13
I'd like to see Todd's pics and he points out I cut more than needed, but I posted pics of my M3 mod to fit my FFL here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116784

If I were to do it again, I'd follow the suggestion he posted in he thread.

-john

cobra90gt
12-19-12, 16:03
OP - Thanks for that little video review, good info.

dseduce
12-19-12, 23:07
I had a p mag base plate break this deployment, about 15 degrees up in those nasty mountains...bumbed it it while climbing on a jagged rock and baseplate just cracked and spring, rounds, and follower came out. This is the ONLY malfunction i have seen from a pmag

Pappabear
12-20-12, 00:58

Bingo , gracias

Pappabear
12-20-12, 01:01
I think there was one guy, Alaskapopo, who had that happen.

Mark, remember it dropped to 52 the other day, we had to bundle up and built a fire for our pmags:D

I have the new Noveske and new pmags, we'll test them out this weekend just to confirm the good news.

Ronin64
12-20-12, 03:56
Thanks for the review, I'm trying to order some.. but everyone is sold out! I had a cart built up at DSG but the site is down a lot lately.

Magic_Salad0892
12-20-12, 05:37
Mark, remember it dropped to 52 the other day, we had to bundle up and built a fire for our pmags:D

I have the new Noveske and new pmags, we'll test them out this weekend just to confirm the good news.

I swear, if the apocalypse came in the form of extreme heat, you guys in Arizona wouldn't even notice.

Ronin64
12-20-12, 11:05
I had a p mag base plate break this deployment, about 15 degrees up in those nasty mountains...bumbed it it while climbing on a jagged rock and baseplate just cracked and spring, rounds, and follower came out. This is the ONLY malfunction i have seen from a pmag

Interesting, do you have photos by chance? I would like to see where it failed.

vicious_cb
12-20-12, 19:31
With all the craziness thats been going on lately. I dont know if magpul released the test results but how long would a M3 pmag body theoretically last with regular use and replacing the mag springs.

SPQR476
12-20-12, 20:23
Well, in endurance testing, we've fired 6,000 rounds out of each of 3 magazines with a total of one malfunction due to a sheared bolt lug. The mags still looked almost new. We were going to take one of those mags til failure, but it might take a LOT of ammo.

We postponed that so we could test the window M3, the M3 20rd, and the M3 10 rd. Well...there's another one, too. We still have some sorting out to do on it, but we may release that one, too. No, it's not the 40rd unfortunately.

samuse
01-11-13, 23:24
Anyone else running these mags?

I just got a pile of 'em. If they really are an improvement, I can't tell. Only because the Gen 2s worked perfectly and so far these do too, but I've only put a few hundred rounds through two of 'em.

I like 'em.

I'd giggle like a little school girl if ya'll would make a 40 rounder...:D

Lexington
01-12-13, 00:04
Well, in endurance testing, we've fired 6,000 rounds out of each of 3 magazines with a total of one malfunction due to a sheared bolt lug. The mags still looked almost new. We were going to take one of those mags til failure, but it might take a LOT of ammo.

We postponed that so we could test the window M3, the M3 20rd, and the M3 10 rd. Well...there's another one, too. We still have some sorting out to do on it, but we may release that one, too. No, it's not the 40rd unfortunately.

I'd be more interested in the degradation of the plastic over time due to exposure to UV or to normal aging.

Brahmzy
01-12-13, 00:09
Well...there's another one, too.

Um... Hmmm. :cool:

jwperry
01-12-13, 00:36
Anyone else running these mags?

I just got a pile of 'em. If they really are an improvement, I can't tell. Only because the Gen 2s worked perfectly and so far these do too, but I've only put a few hundred rounds through two of 'em.

I like 'em.

Rub it in, I bought 10 on 12/18 in anticipation of the end of the Mayan calendar, still haven't received them from weaponsworld.com; they sold out after I bought mine, they got more and sold them out at a higher price and my order still hasn't been filled. I'm pretty irritated with the lack of responses to emails I've sent them. I'm not going to cancel my order and pay panic prices for them which is what I think they are after...

signal 13
01-12-13, 02:00

I'd giggle like a little school girl if I could find ammo to fill 'em!

calviroman
01-12-13, 08:33
I bought a bunch of the Gen 3 30 rounders AND the M3 20 rounders over the last few weeks. In back to back handling with the Gen 1 and Gen 2, the new ones just feel higher quality. The 20 rounder (new verses old) is where you see the biggest leap in "goodness". I still prefer the 20 rounders for overall weapon handling/ergos but like my reloads to be 30's (if I'm reloading something REALLY bad is going on). I sold off all my Gen 1 and Gen 2 after getting my stash of Gen 3's in...so not all my AR-mags are PMAG Gen 3.

Brahmzy
01-12-13, 08:50
I bought a bunch of the Gen 3 30 rounders AND the M3 20 rounders over the last few weeks. In back to back handling with the Gen 1 and Gen 2, the new ones just feel higher quality. The 20 rounder (new verses old) is where you see the biggest leap in "goodness". I still prefer the 20 rounders for overall weapon handling/ergos but like my reloads to be 30's (if I'm reloading something REALLY bad is going on). I sold off all my Gen 1 and Gen 2 after getting my stash of Gen 3's in...so not all my AR-mags are PMAG Gen 3.

Pretty much my findings as well. I'm keeping a few of each of the old still in their bags, but am sold on the new. Magpul really nailed these M3s. And yes, the new 20s are amazing. they're actually just a short 30 now, go figure. Same spring, same follower.
Frankly, I'm surprised to still see all the love for the old. We're only talking $2 difference, but huge design advantages.
I really hope we can get the windowed 30s in our hands before any SHTF.

Warp
01-12-13, 09:40
Pretty much my findings as well. I'm keeping a few of each of the old still in their bags, but am sold on the new. Magpul really nailed these M3s. And yes, the new 20s are amazing. they're actually just a short 30 now, go figure. Same spring, same follower.
Frankly, I'm surprised to still see all the love for the old. We're only talking $2 difference, but huge design advantages.
I really hope we can get the windowed 30s in our hands before any SHTF.

Huge design advantages? You are referring to the 20 round version, but not the 30 round version, when you say "huge design advantages", I assume?

SoloMan
01-18-13, 11:44
So what is the biggest difference between the generation 2 and generation 3 pmags?

I have a backorder of some generation 2 non-window and I am just curious...thanks.

Warp
01-18-13, 11:45
So what is the biggest difference between the generation 2 and generation 3 pmags?

I have a backorder of some generation 2 non-window and I am just curious...thanks.

After using both the biggest practical difference I notice is that I can (and do) put ranger plates on my Gen2 mags but they don't have any for the Gen3 yet.

SoloMan
01-18-13, 11:47
Ok. I see the pictures in the OP, but then I was reading..."new" and "old" style generation 3, so I am not sure if that was a comparison of generation 3 or generation 2 vs generation 3.

Lots of choices for pmags, apparently ;)

SoloMan
01-18-13, 23:44
Found this on the DSG Arms site for Generation 3 Pmags:

Battle-hardened by over 5 years of combat experience, the PMAG evolution is marked by a long list of improvements, but here are some of the highlights of the new GEN M3 that are changes from the current design:

-Stronger in all tests over the current PMAG (feedlip impact, spine strength, side impact, hot/cold durability, etc.)
-Geometry and new low-drag follower design changes to increase reliability in extreme adverse conditions, including dusty environments.
-Now fully compatible with HK 416, FN SCAR, SA 80, et.al., with new bolt catch geometry and an over-insertion stop on the spine of the magazine for full functionality with all platforms.
-Now drop-free compatible with magazine wells on the tighter side of acceptable tolerance, and has a reinforced mag catch area for greater durability and compatibility with various mag catch tolerances.
-A slimmer floorplate for increased pouch compatibility comes standard, along with improved water drainage.
-Improved texture on the front and rear for more positive handling under stress.
-Recessed paint pen dot matrix for magazine marking that will not abrade off under handling or cleaning.

Please note that the PMAG Ranger will NOT work with the new GEN M3. It will be getting its own Ranger design and we’ll provide more info as it becomes available. Basically, GEN M3 accessories/components will only work with GEN M3 magazines, including its Impact/Dust Cover.

I'm assuming this is comparing the generation 3 to the generation 2...unless the really is some sort of "new" generation 3 and "old" generation 3?

SPQR476
01-19-13, 13:07
That's GEN M2 to GEN M3. Only one version of GEN M3. Our blog and the PMAG pages on the website have some good explanations of the differences, and if you download the PDF of our 2013 catalog, there's lots of info.

tw4
01-19-13, 13:18
If I could get my hands on one it would be awesome

NeoNeanderthal
01-19-13, 13:23
A decent priced 40 rounder (like 20-30 bucks) that is just as reliable as the other pmags..... i bet people would be running those more then surfire 60 rounders.

SoloMan
01-19-13, 13:35
That's GEN M2 to GEN M3. Only one version of GEN M3. Our blog and the PMAG pages on the website have some good explanations of the differences, and if you download the PDF of our 2013 catalog, there's lots of info.

Fantastic, thanks! Can't wait for them to arrive...of course, whenever they become un-backordered ;)

Never heard a bad thing about pmags....I just wanted to try a batch to complement my aluminum usgi mags.

SPQR476
01-19-13, 14:32
A decent priced 40 rounder (like 20-30 bucks) that is just as reliable as the other pmags..... i bet people would be running those more then surfire 60 rounders.

Yep...that would be cool...maybe with GEN M3 technology... ;-)

VIP3R 237
01-19-13, 14:42
Yep...that would be cool...maybe with GEN M3 technology... ;-)

hmm nra show anybody?

samuse
01-21-13, 22:15
Well I've dumped about 1K rounds through two of 'em so far. No issues at all (surprise huh?).

It seems like they're easier to seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds and I like the over-insertion tab. I occasionally get a little carried away with mag changes..

I like 'em and I'm usually adverse to change, but I just sold all my usin' mags (M2 pmags and NHMTGs) and will run these exclusively for the foreseeable future.

I don't plan on attending any normal type classes this year, so I don't need a bunch of mags to keep up with everyone so I'm gonna use the two I started with just to get as many rounds as I can through each one.

They will stay fully loaded 24/7 without the covers in place. The covers don't snap to the bottom of the mag anymore and I'm not trying to keep up with 'em...

jaxman7
01-21-13, 22:34
samuse,

Appreciate the feedback bud. I am assuming you used the non-windowed version. Reason being that according to Magpul's website the windowed version DOES include the dust cover.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG556/PMAG

Correct? Me being a fan of the dust cover (can't hurt anything) and the windowed version I am glad to see the cover still being included. IF my findings are correct.

-Jax

ETA: Just reread your post and it stated you will store them WITHOUT the covers in place. Sooooo I may assume you have the windowed PMAGS? Reason for this question is because I remember asking Duane earlier in this thread about the dust covers and he specifically stated that the new mags (assuming standard non windowed version) would not have the dust covers. And please don't take this post as trying to give you a hard time Duane if you read this.

Brahmzy
01-21-13, 22:50
samuse,

Appreciate the feedback bud. I am assuming you used the non-windowed version. Reason being that according to Magpul's website the windowed version DOES include the dust cover.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG556/PMAG

Correct? Me being a fan of the dust cover (can't hurt anything) and the windowed version I am glad to see the cover still being included. IF my findings are correct.

-Jax

ETA: Just reread your post and it stated you will store them WITHOUT the covers in place. Sooooo I may assume you have the windowed PMAGS? Reason for this question is because I remember asking Duane earlier in this thread about the dust covers and he specifically stated that the new mags (assuming standard non windowed version) would not have the dust covers. And please don't take this post as trying to give you a hard time Duane if you read this.

ALL M3 mags have the dust covers.

boomhower
01-21-13, 22:57

The M2, or now MOE, versions will no longer come with dust covers. M3's do.

SPQR476
01-21-13, 23:31
Yep...unless I was dyslexic in another post...all versions GEN M3 = covers, all versions GEN M2/MOE = no covers.

samuse
01-22-13, 06:35
I have non-windowed M3 mags.

They come with covers but the covers do not clip onto the bottom of the mag, meaning you have to find somewhere else to put 'em...

jaxman7
01-22-13, 08:43
I have non-windowed M3 mags.

They come with covers but the covers do not clip onto the bottom of the mag, meaning you have to find somewhere else to put 'em...

Yeh, apologize to all. My brain fart last night was ^this^.

For some reason I got the issue of not being able to clip the covers to the bottom with them not working at all on the mags. I'll shut up now and just wait for mine to come in.

-Jax

Ronin64
01-24-13, 10:36
I just got 6 windowed gen 3 mags, can't wait to try em out!

Ironman8
01-24-13, 10:49
I just got 6 windowed gen 3 mags, can't wait to try em out!

Where'd you manage to find those?

markm
01-24-13, 10:53
How does one "try out" Pmags?

I mean... you shoot, they work... yawn.:sarcastic:

Ironman8
01-24-13, 11:00

Ha, very true...I actually WANT some mags (strictly for training) that are unreliable and will actually induce some malfunctions!

"Top Tier" ARs, good ammo, and PMAGs make for a BORINGLY reliable system.

Brahmzy
01-24-13, 11:18
Where'd you manage to find those?

I got 20 Windowed M3s a week ago from DSG. I backordered them in December.

Kchen986
01-24-13, 11:21
Damn, I've been hoping to scoop up some Windowed M3s for T&E.

Warp
01-24-13, 11:33

Unless they are 20 round models. Then you may have an issue.

SPQR476
01-24-13, 11:46
Not anymore. While admittedly, the striaght 20's had sensitivities to dimensional differences in various parts of some ARs, the PMAG 20 GEN M3, with all the constant curve, low-friction anti-tilt goodness of the GEN M3 line, works just as well as its big brother.

We went with a straight body on the original to keep length at a minimum and satisfy customer requests, but stacking tapered cartridges in a straight box just isn't ideal in any way, and eliminates the possibility of an anti-tilt follower, the lack of which may effect consistent bolt stop engagement after the last round is fired.

Warp
01-24-13, 11:52
Not anymore.

Can I trade my Gen2 for Gen3?

markm
01-24-13, 11:59
Can I trade my Gen2 for Gen3?

Sell them on Gunbroker.

NeoNeanderthal
01-24-13, 12:20
Ha, very true...I actually WANT some mags (strictly for training) that are unreliable and will actually induce some malfunctions!

"Top Tier" ARs, good ammo, and PMAGs make for a BORINGLY reliable system.

Me to. Thinking of bending a feed lip or something on one of my USGI mags and painting the bottom red so i only use it for training.

However, in this climate. I could never purposely **** up a perfectly good mag.

So basically anyone with mags that shit the bed please dont crush them or throw them out. Send them to me!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in NH so no trouble with mag bans here (yet).

Warp
01-24-13, 12:27
Sell them on Gunbroker.

That wouldn't get me Gen3 replacements.

markm
01-24-13, 12:28
That wouldn't get me Gen3 replacements.

It would eventually. ;)... and probably at a 3 to 1 gainer on your end. :cool:

Warp
01-24-13, 13:03
It would eventually. ;)... and probably at a 3 to 1 gainer on your end. :cool:

Probably so.

But I like to mitigate risk and believe in the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" deal.

Fortunately I only actually have one 20 round Gen2 PMAG right now. The rest of my mags are PMAG 30s (5 Gen3) and Colt/NHMTG 20s and 30s. :)

But not 1/4 as many as I want. :mad:

markm
01-24-13, 13:14
But I like to mitigate risk and believe in the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" deal.

I understand that. ;)

Onyx Z
01-24-13, 13:21
I got 20 Windowed M3s a week ago from DSG. I backordered them in December.

i backordered the 10 pmags for $100 in December as well and haven't heard anything yet....

weeble19
01-26-13, 11:56
SPQR476: I happen to have one of those mag pouches that doesn't tolerate the over insertion stop on the spine. It's the Emdom IAP pouch and the only issue I have with it isn't from drawing from the mag it's doing admin/tac reloads. I can't re-insert the mag easily as the elastic catches and won't let me easily insert the half full mag back into the pouch. Is there a way that Magpul recommends to remove the over insertion stop or should I just own up and by new pouches? With all the political crap I don't wanna destroy my mags if I won't be able to get another one for a decade. Thanks in advance.

SPQR476
01-26-13, 12:27
That's a tough one. Pouches with tight elastic and no stiffening material (a la TACO and "chalupa") require some finesse. If you round off the tab corners, you lose a lot if contact area on the stop, so I'd avoid that.

Here's what works for me:

I insert the magazine back into the pouch with the front corner aimed a little down. As you keep inserting, when the stop catches, twist the magazine along the long axis so that the front edge catches and stretches the elastic a bit and the stop is aimed at the corner of the pouch nearest your body. This will usually allow you to get the stop past the edge of the elastic and insert it fully back into the pouch.

For shingles and the like, I did a "pouch stretching" PowerPoint tutorial for one of the military field test units...basically just wetting and stuffing the pouches and letting them dry. It's worked on even the tightest triple shingle pouches. If anyone is interested, I can see if I can compress it and post it somewhere.