PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining USGI Trigger

ridgerunner70
11-06-12, 09:20
Is there a good thread on DIY proper lubing,spring replacement, maintenance ,etc. on the USGI Trigger? I've done a search and there's several but goes off topic or just throw in an aftermarket brand,etc. Sorry if I've missed this.

markm
11-06-12, 09:36
Never maintained it. As long as it isn't rusting, whatever lube trinkles down to it is what it gets.

nineteenkilo
11-06-12, 11:24
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it isn't full of sand. Lube from the BCG should be plenty if you've done it right. Nothing beats the feel of a shitty but comfortable USGI trigger pull.

God how I love them.

remington79
11-06-12, 14:11
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it isn't full of sand. Lube from the BCG should be plenty if you've done it right. Nothing beats the feel of a shitty but comfortable USGI trigger pull.

God how I love them.

I know I like the stock trigger on my LE6920. Not too heavy and it has a very short reset and no takeup.

ridgerunner70
11-06-12, 16:27
I got a DDM4V1 and the stock trigger came with it. I took the trigger out and dabbed grease at the contact points. I have 1000 dry fires and 400rds through it. Would this trigger be considered broke in?? Could I touch the contact points with a piece of sandpaper to smooth out a bit? When I pull the trigger it has one spot it gets tight, like a little click then pull a little more and a clean break.

nineteenkilo
11-06-12, 16:29
That sounds like a dead-perfect USGI trigger to me. :confused:

ridgerunner70
11-06-12, 16:55
That sounds like a dead-perfect USGI trigger to me. :confused:

Ok that's great!! I don't know much about triggers and was just wondering if that what I'm looking for in the trigger. Thanks!!

mpom
11-06-12, 19:22
I would have to assume nkilo is being a little sarcastic; usgi triggers are notorious for being rough and heavy yet 100% reliable. You want smooth crisp and lighter, then go aftermarket; don't "sandpaper" the one you have, as you can easily break through the thin casehardened surface and trash it pretty quick.

Mark

jet66
11-06-12, 20:11
I haven't had to do any real maintenance on mine, other than making sure it's not collecting too much crap. I did have to remove my FCG, safety, and grip last night to chase out a blown primer, so I went ahead and cleaned everything really good with CLP before reassembling it.

I've got an A2 that has been around the block for a couple of decades. I've replaced gas rings, buffer springs, and extractor/springs, but never felt the need to replace the hammer nor trigger springs, the FCG has worked without a hitch. I'm sure those parts can wear out, but so far their lifespans seem to be pretty long.

11-06-12, 20:14
I just hit mine with a little bit of lube and make sure there isn't a bunch of shit in the area when cleaning. Other than that, I don't mess with them. Love Colt triggers.