PDA

View Full Version : Tubbs, Tactical, Springco, USGI buffer springs?

DreadPirateMoyer
11-06-12, 10:47
Hi everyone,

One of my rifles is my emergency rifle, the one I keep ready to protect myself and my family should some catastrophe or disaster happen nearby. In such a scenario, preventative maintenance may not always be possible, and while I have spare buffer springs, I'd like to mitigate as much risk as possible. Thus, I'd like to change out my stock buffer spring for one with a greater lifetime in case supplies are unavailable to me in an emergency.

I searched and read some posts about these springs, but didn't see a post directly comparing all of them. For those with experience with them, could you help me figure out which to purchase? I'm looking for a compromise of long lifetime and reliability without having to tinker (a problem with the Tubbs springs, I've heard). Recoil reduction and noise don't mean much to me.

Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated. :)

And yes, all of my rifles are emergency rifles. I just have one that is my "if I only had one" rifle.

markm
11-06-12, 11:13
I never put ANYTHING but standard USGI springs in my guns.

CS springs are not in the design of the AR for a reason. You're creating "red dawn" fantasy scenarios that are unrealistic.

Boss Hogg
11-06-12, 11:27
I've found that messing around with springs and buffers to be more trouble than it's worth for 99% of AR shooters. While having a slightly more powerful spring can mitigate recoil to a certain degree, there are downsides.....

1. With an "extra power" spring, the charging handle is harder to pull to the rear if clearing a malfunction one handed. The charging handle is the most fragile part of the AR-15, and if you're putting extra force on it, that might be the time Mr. Murphy pays a visit.
2. Springs can be very finicky with regard to ambient temp, shooter position, shoulder weld, ammunition, etc. This can lead to malfunctions: short stroking if it's oversprung, and bolt over base if it's undersprung.
3. The counter-recoil can disturb sight alignment because the BCG is going forward faster than it normally would with a standard spec spring and buffer. The plus side is that the round will be more likely to chamber properly if there's more velocity on the bolt as the round is stripped from the magazine.

I will say that with the VLTOR A5 system, I've found the "Green" Sprinco spring to be very reliable on inherently "finicky" uppers such as 14.5" midlengths and a 12.5" suppressed SBR. On a carbine receiver extension, however, I'd stick with a good GI spring.

markm
11-06-12, 11:31
I've found that messing around with springs and buffers to be more trouble than it's worth for 99% of AR shooters.

Yep.. you get to putting all this aftermarket crap in your gun and pretty soon you need NASA to trouble shoot it when shit goes wrong.

A gun that need a rainbow homo spring to run right goes into the parts pile, JACK!

Clint
11-06-12, 12:51
The "lifetime" of the spring is related to the number of cycles, not how long it sits.

Environmental factors like corrosion also factor in.

Unsurprisingly, the USGI stainless spring strikes the best balance considering everything.

It should be good for at least 5000 cycles.

It is unlikely that your SHTF rifle will ever be fired in anger, so wearing it out will be the least of your worries.

Since you already have spares, consider it a non-issue.

markm
11-06-12, 12:58
Exactly. If your carrying around more than 5 thousand rounds and one gun with no chance to get to any maintenance areas... stick an extra spring in your gear.

Iraqgunz
11-06-12, 15:34
I use the Springco springs simply because I have determined that their spring life is longer than with standard springs. In addition the variance in spring lengths is more consistent than with the standard springs. YMMV

SteveS
11-06-12, 15:44
A quality rifle is important . But read this and see what you should expect from true GI milspec quality. www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14

DreadPirateMoyer
11-06-12, 17:59
I use the Springco springs simply because I have determined that their spring life is longer than with standard springs. In addition the variance in spring lengths is more consistent than with the standard springs. YMMV

That's what I was thinking as well. Springco seems to be the most consistent of the bunch. Glad to hear. Am I reading the website correctly in that their springs are rated at over 1,000,000 (million) cycles!?

And to everyone else: don't much care if my goals are realistic or fantasies. :) I just want a spring that lasts longer than the USGI spring while providing the same reliability. If that exists, great. If not, that's fine too.

bruin
11-07-12, 15:47
Sprinco here, too. Chrome silicon is simply more consistent and durable than stainless or music wire for springs. This isn't hype; it's plain materials science.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2011/06/16/ar-15-carbine-action-spring-performance-differences/

A good CS action spring should last the life of your AR. There's a reason why so many of us run CS extractor and action springs...

MonkeyHEMI
11-07-12, 17:59
That's what I was thinking as well. Springco seems to be the most consistent of the bunch. Glad to hear. Am I reading the website correctly in that their springs are rated at over 1,000,000 (million) cycles!?

And to everyone else: don't much care if my goals are realistic or fantasies. :) I just want a spring that lasts longer than the USGI spring while providing the same reliability. If that exists, great. If not, that's fine too.

I'll also +1 Springco. Word of advice, stick with the "WHITE Spring" and get a heavier buffer rather than getting heavier springs. Like someone mentioned above, a heavier spring makes the charge handle harder to pull back and I've personally seen one snap and have heard of a few other cases. I don't know what spring was in use or if that was a contributing factor... Point is, the handles can wear out and you mention longevity when maintenance isn't an option so I doubt you would want a spring that could potentially create more wear on another part of your firearm.

That's why I try to leave scenarios or intended uses out of my posts on firearm forums. It becomes fuel for all the self proclaimed experts who rarely offer anything more than vague and relative personal opinions.

DreadPirateMoyer
11-08-12, 09:45
Thanks for the advice, guys. :) Springco white it is.

And yes, I definitely should have skipped detailing the reasons for the purchase. Just derailed the thread a bit. Will keep it strictly technical in the future.