PDA

View Full Version : Note to self next time I'm in Baltimore

ToddG
02-13-08, 13:44
... don't call the city cops "dude."

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc)

I think I have an idea for a new career: traveling the country getting paid to teach LE agencies what a video camera is.

Bulldog1967
02-13-08, 14:22
Having lived in Baltimore, I can tell you everytime I work there i feel like I should be geared out like I was going to Mogadishu.

I think certain parts of Beruit are safer.

John_Wayne777
02-13-08, 15:17
Teenage skater punks stink.

Still, it does appear that the officer could use a vacation.

M4arc
02-13-08, 15:48
SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!

Grey
02-13-08, 16:16
Dude needs to chill.

Nathan_Bell
02-13-08, 16:36
I had a thought watching this. This fine officer had better be a bit more polite and professional if he ever has to work with some of the other folk who use dude for a general filler word.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=general&Number=62900&page=0&fpart=all

AMMOTECH
02-13-08, 16:57
Don't get me wrong I'm pro LE on most subjects but this ass is out of control.:mad:

At 14 I would have got on my board and rode off.

DogRanger
02-13-08, 17:10
I'v had LE in the family but not dressed like that,no wonder he's not in a good mood.:rolleyes:

the1911fan
02-13-08, 17:38
If you don't beat yer kids ass someone else will

Bolt_Overide
02-13-08, 18:56
Regardless of whether those kids should have been riding their skateboards there, that cop was way way out of line and needs to lose his ****ing badge.

whitetiger7654
02-13-08, 22:35
Yep, I agree the cop was out of line. He threw him to the ground for no reason. The kid did hold the board but the cop had no reason to take it from him to begin with. I'm pretty sure a lawsuit will be filed and won.

TUNNEL RAT 33
02-14-08, 00:36
first of all if you are going to verbally correct someone it is always best not to yell like a raving lunatic so the entire city can hear you - one of the guys i work with will whisper something sweet and colorful that only he and the offender in question can hear -saves you a headache later on . and what was the yoking of the dumb ass for the skate board ? i think this guy needs to go and look at some hot young ladies and mellow out a bit .

Joe Mamma
02-14-08, 09:01
I can only imagine what happened before and after that video clip. But, I think that cop acted like an a-hole. But, that kid acted like a punk and was asking for it in my opinion. He continued to call the cop a dude so obviously he didn't get it too badly. I definitely don't feel bad for the kid.

It reminds me of the "dont' taze me bro" incident.

Joe Mamma

TBomb
02-14-08, 10:41
I liked the part at the end...

"Is that video camera on? I better not see this on You...."

:D

Edit: Officer won't last long flipping out like that...aneurysm imminent. :rolleyes:

johnson601
02-14-08, 10:57
This video was on the news last night, the cop was suspended with pay until an investigation is complete (so the news says). I know everything he said I have wanted to say, but you have to keep in mind that everyone has a camera these days.

Sry0fcr
02-14-08, 11:10
Well, Officer Riviera is unprofessional to say the least... I don't know how there's room for a badge with that chip on his shoulder.

tinman44
02-14-08, 11:51
I liked the part at the end...

"Is that video camera on? I better not see this on You...."

dang you beat me to it, i lol when i heard that last little bit.:D

Failure2Stop
02-14-08, 14:14
SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!

Indeed- they are voluntary non-electric moving targets :D

RogerinTPA
02-14-08, 14:27
Looks like the cop needs an anger management, community relations and proportional response class. I mean how terrible is a crime of skate boarding? when was the term "Dude" carry the same weight as something derogatory? When you see every problem as a nail, you tend to hammer every problem. It's situations like this that turns the community off to law enforcement.

graffex
02-14-08, 20:32
Having lived in Baltimore, I can tell you everytime I work there i feel like I should be geared out like I was going to Mogadishu.

I think certain parts of Beruit are safer.

Baltimore is certainly one of the worst. I live in the suburbs 20 minutes outside of Baltimore. I've done a alot of electrical work in row homes that where being rehabbed in west Baltimore and I took my Glock with me everyday, even though I can't get a license to carry.

They're are certain areas you know to stay out of unless your armed but most of it isn't too bad.

Countyshooter
02-14-08, 21:47
Someone needs a hug!!

ToddG
02-14-08, 21:59
I have to go to Johns Hopkins 2-3 times a year for medical check ups, etc. The first time I told my doc I was carrying a gun, he flipped out ... as in he tried to do a Spider-Man routine on the ceiling. :p

After calming him down and answering his questions (Q: "How did you get that in the hospital without security seeing it?" A: "That's what makes it concealed carry.") we discussed the crime rate in the immediate vicinity of the hospital. He's an incredibly bright guy, it took him less than a second to nod and get over it. It probably helped that I told him, "I owe you my life ... wouldn't be right for me to lose it coming to see you for a follow-up, would it?" :cool:

Commando-Falcon
02-14-08, 22:17
It sucks to been that cop's kid(s), that is, if he even found a woman that could stand him!
I guess they must cut the clips like this on "Cops"
or maybe I missed that episode.
What a DUDE!

buddyhoohaw
02-15-08, 08:02
That dude has squad car envy.....is that thing a Huffy?

the1911fan
02-15-08, 11:45
I can recall two instances that happened in my youth:

1. 11 years old , I was chucking small rocks at a bus driving on a a busy city street. Officer W. observed me in the act and hopped out of his vehicle and grabbed me by the arm and threw me down forcefully, I landed on my rear. He took me home and watched as my mom warmed my rear with 10 lashes from my dads leather work belt, my mom was harder on us than dad ever was.

2. Front seat passenger riding with a few friends all aged 16-17. Driver friend went through a Cleveland PD motor officers hand signal near the old stadium. The motor officer that was directing traffic kicked the rear of the car as we passed by him. After we got on the freeway we were pulled over by the motor officer, evidently he got another officer to relieve him from his traffic direction post. The officer walked up to the drivers window and punched the driver square in the jaw and walked back to his motor unit and left. We were all suburban kids. The drivers dad was a retired officer from a large local burb of Cleveland. The driver never told his dad b/c he did'nt want to be jaw jacked again by his dad. His dad was a D day purple heart receipient (shot three times on the beach) who was a hard man by anyone's description.

Both things these above officers did IMO were harsher than what this guy did. IMO THIS COUNTRY HAS BECOME PUSSIFIED

whitetiger7654
02-15-08, 14:55
This guy is definitely getting fired.

NEW VIDEO:
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=47854

Bolt_Overide
02-15-08, 15:14

1. 11 years old , I was chucking small rocks at a bus driving on a a busy city street. Officer W. observed me in the act and hopped out of his vehicle and grabbed me by the arm and threw me down forcefully, I landed on my rear. He took me home and watched as my mom warmed my rear with 10 lashes from my dads leather work belt, my mom was harder on us than dad ever was.

2. Front seat passenger riding with a few friends all aged 16-17. Driver friend went through a Cleveland PD motor officers hand signal near the old stadium. The motor officer that was directing traffic kicked the rear of the car as we passed by him. After we got on the freeway we were pulled over by the motor officer, evidently he got another officer to relieve him from his traffic direction post. The officer walked up to the drivers window and punched the driver square in the jaw and walked back to his motor unit and left. We were all suburban kids. The drivers dad was a retired officer from a large local burb of Cleveland. The driver never told his dad b/c he did'nt want to be jaw jacked again by his dad. His dad was a D day purple heart receipient (shot three times on the beach) who was a hard man by anyone's description.

Both things these above officers did IMO were harsher than what this guy did. IMO THIS COUNTRY HAS BECOME PUSSIFIED

While I will agree with you about the country becoming quite pussified, and can relate to your stories after getting pulled over by one of my uncles deputies doing 130 on the free way and gett the crap kicked out of my for it, I think there is a huge difference. This guy is a beligerant, hateful little troll, who has let the badge go to his head. He at the very least needs to be moved to a position where he doesnt have to deal with the public any longer.

M4arc
02-15-08, 15:20
This guy is definitely getting fired.

NEW VIDEO:
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=47854

He's got anger management issues and I suspect it's because he has to ride around in that "thing" all day long. :D

johnson601
02-15-08, 16:06
This guy has some issues..I wonder how many other people have videos of him being a jackass. And what the hell is that thing he drives?

whitetiger7654
02-15-08, 16:12
Some type of electric vehicle.

the1911fan
02-15-08, 16:33
He's lucky he went off on white folk...he'd already be gone if he did it to a minority

Countyshooter
02-15-08, 17:46
My guess is that a 17 year veteran would normally have a better assignment and vehicle than he does. I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say that there have already been some issues with this guy and this "lavish" assignment may be punitive in nature.

i303
02-15-08, 17:47
Some type of electric vehicle.

Well, see! There's your problem right there. What did he do in the first place to end up driving that as a patrol car? So he's already pissed off as soon as he has to get the keys to that thing. Just add fire; white surburbian kid on a skateboard, and boom!

ToddG
02-15-08, 17:56

Only two? Dude, you must have done some serious partying in college.

You're right, both of the instances you related had harsher penalties. Both were for harsher crimes. In the first case you were throwing rocks at a bus which could have caused an accident. I the second case an inattentive driver disobeyed an officer's traffic commands and got close enough to the officer to make contact (whether the officer kicked the car or got hit by it).

The story in this instance is a kid who was riding a skateboard and used the word "dude" to speak with a cop. Neither of those acts is criminal. To the best of my knowledge, no Maryland state law or Baltimore city ordinance authorized the officer to confiscate the kid's board (4th Amendment violation) and certainly not to grab him around the neck and throw him to the ground in the process of wrestling the board away from the kid. If you actually follow the first minute of the tape, it's very clear that the kid didn't hear the officer's initial commands because he was listening to his iPod (not illegal in Baltimore), and that the officer's mood jumped to highly aggravated in the blink of an eye based on what he perceived as a disrespectful tone from the kid.

The worst part, from my perspective, is that this officer's actions are likely to result in who knows how many new policies and limitations on Baltimore City PD officers, policies and limitations which will certainly hinder their legitimate law enforcement actions and could even lead to one of them getting hurt or killed.

the1911fan
02-16-08, 12:09
From Inner Harbor website: Skateboarding is not permitted in the Inner Harbor.

And according to a Baltimore Sun article the officer has no prior citizen complaints in the past 17 years..including the S/B incident b/c no person has filed a complaint on it as of now.

Baltimore PD has a strong union and even if this officer gets fired he will get his job back on appeal with back pay.

With a spotless 17 year record this does not amount to a termination offense...Baltimore PD's progressive discipling policy is in favor of the officer being suspended w/o pay. He will have to take anger mgt. classes and get some length of unpaid suspension.

And we don't know if the officer truly confiscated the board or just took away for the time it took him to write the kid a cite. Did a little reading and found out the skateboard was given back to the kid when he left the Inner Harbor.

Since Skateboarding is not permitted in the Inner Harbor it would be a good idea for Skateboard possession to be prohibited there also...it would only be logical.

The Baltimore officer has a bad temper and acted unprofessional. I've seen far worse violations of the 4th amendment with knowledge of such violations going all the way to the Chief and nothing being done other than a re-assignment and a promotion to the violating officer.

the1911fan
02-16-08, 14:56
. I the second case an inattentive driver disobeyed an officer's traffic commands and got close enough to the officer to make contact (whether the officer kicked the car or got hit by it).

It was kicked as a dent was on the rear 1/4 panel and the dent was pretty small yet deep. My friends missing of the officers hand signal was due in part to the vehicle we were following (a rental truck). In the last 19 years I've directed traffic in far worse/higher volume conditions than what was being experienced by the CPD motor on that particular day. I kicked cars back when I was a rookie just like the dumb arse CPD motor, I like to think HE taught me how. Been 15 years or more since I've repeated that stupidity.

On the first incident I'd rather had Ofc. W. beat my arse and send me on my way. I think he was pretty terrified when my Mom starting wailing on me.
I am quite sure if that happened in my presence today dear old Mom would be going to jail for child abuse (No such thing as D.V. in Ohio for a parent abusing a child). 10 lashes on bare skin with a thick leather belt does injury consistent with the definition of abuse in the ORC

Ellery Holt
02-17-08, 02:41
Wow. Seems very few here are willing to let officer Rivieri tell his side before they decide he was in the wrong.

A62Rambler
02-17-08, 08:51
I worked as an police officer in the past. I certainly don't think the officer was behaving rationally. However, keep in mind the video doesn't start until the officer is angry. What was done prior to the video to make him angry? Having dealt with the suburbian youth and then college students, I can tell you I'd rather face felons all day. They don't think there are consequences for their actions. They will repeatedly disobey and play games with officers. Then when the officer has had enough they start crying about how rough the officer is being on them. There's a whole series of skatboarding videos showing how upset the people become. What is never shown is the events leading up to that. It's become an internet fame game to piss someone off and then show only them being pissed off. Sad that the youth think this is fun. When I was a kid, if you pissed off any adult you got your butt kicked. Mommy and Daddy wouldn't file a lawsuit they would punish you for pissing people off. I reserve judgement on this officer until I can see the events leading up to this video. How convenient that it shows the officer going off. I guess the kid was just walking around video taping everything to conveniently catch this incident?:rolleyes:

Trim2L
02-17-08, 10:50
Looks to me like that smart mouthed teenage kid got off lucky. The fact that he stated he was going to call his mom should be evidence enough of what kind of upbringing he has had. The only mistake the officer made was not making sure there weren't any video cameras.

If my kid ever gets smart like that I hope someone like Officer Rivievi would have courtesy to correct them. Baltimore will be doing a disservice to the public if they fire him.

obucina
02-17-08, 12:53
dude needs a beer and a blowjob. and i bet could couldnt catch a cold if it evaded him, rockin that beer gut of his.

Safetyhit
02-18-08, 09:32
What a massive over reaction, totally overdone and unprofessional. The boy seemed ready and willing to move on and was mildly disrespectful at worst. This comes from someone who has also had his fill of arrogant, clueless, self absorbed youths. Calling someone you don't know "dude" may not show extreme courtesy, but it certainly does not justify that tough guy garbage. Then the cop discredits the boy's father, upon which the boy says that he has no father. Good job, genius. And all this for skateboarding, which I personally don't care for but still...

Anyone who chooses to defend that unprofessional idiot needs to get their head examined, with all due respect. Hope none of you that would are law enforcement, as we need better than that out there. If he had one off, bad day, that's fine. Give him a pass. However, if that is his attitude often, they need to get rid of him.

I will add this for proper perspective. Now this is an arrogant punk who deserves a beating (which he gets to an extent before he squirms away). Watching his beligerent ass makes the Baltimore boy look like a saint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASeXa7KXPFk&feature=related

TraderJack
02-18-08, 15:18
I'm a little surprised that most of you 'dudes' are against the officer!

I don't believe he did anything un-worthy or un-professional. He tried to talk to the punk and asked him a question several times. He tried to speak in a lower, civil tone to inquire if the kid knew he wasn't allowed to SB there and the kid tried to blow him off. That's when he put the kid on the ground and confiscated the board. He told the kid he was disrespectful and he even asked the kid 'if he talked that way to his parents'?

I think the kid was disrespectful and deserved what he got.
Looked pretty normal to me.