PDA

View Full Version : 2 S&Ws can't deceide

danno1
11-06-12, 12:42
OK
Here's what I got so far as far as buying my first AR.

1) S&W MODEL 15 FT (811004) price 1599.00

2) S&W MODEL 15 FT (811048) price 999.00

They have minor differences as per the S&W website. Is over 500.00 more for #1 worth the price compared to #2?

P.S. Around here these guns are scarce so to some it might seem not a good deal. Here in CT very few come here because of CT Comp.

Littlelebowski
11-06-12, 12:51
Get the cheaper one and modify it as your needs evolve.

djmorris
11-06-12, 12:52
Neither.

Get this and be done:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_1200/products_id/411551376/BCM+M4+CARB+MOD+0+5.56+16+FT+30RD

Or alternatively, you could pick up a Colt 6920 from Wal-Mart for the same price. Problem solved.

edit: I see you're in CT so that may be an issue. Still, just go to Bravocompanyusa.com and piece together what you want. Do yourself a favor and skip the $1000 - $1600 S&W.

danno1
11-06-12, 13:15
Neither.

Get this and be done:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_1200/products_id/411551376/BCM+M4+CARB+MOD+0+5.56+16+FT+30RD

Or alternatively, you could pick up a Colt 6920 from Wal-Mart for the same price. Problem solved.

edit: I see you're in CT so that may be an issue. Still, just go to Bravocompanyusa.com and piece together what you want. Do yourself a favor and skip the $1000 - $1600 S&W.

CT. Yup that's THE issue. Being it's the first I wanted to have a "whole" gun before I start messing around.

djmorris
11-06-12, 13:21
CT. Yup that's THE issue. Being it's the first I wanted to have a "whole" gun before I start messing around.

Understood. You can piece together the lower receiver with the upper receiver and there is no tinkering involved and it's also a complete rifle. Just trying to steer you in the right direction. S&W makes good AR's but they are not worth what you'll generally pay.

For $1,000 - $1,600 you're in top-of-the-line territory which would be Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, and Knights Armament.

My recommendation would be to continue reading this forum for the next 3-4 weeks and you'll have a better idea of what to buy. I'ts not like Obama will suddenly outlaw "assault" rifles come November 7th :D

Clem
11-06-12, 13:23

I'm in NJ and the stupid laws seem similar.
If you need a fixed stock, you can get one of these from Grant.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-A2
$430
The only part that needs to go to your ffl is the lower receiver.

Have the rest sent to your home.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM-PND
$815 with a pinned battlecomp.
You can dremel off the bayo lug when you get it, before you get your lower.
$1200 and you get a much better rifle.
It's a "whole" rifle as well, just slap the upper and lower together when you get it.

Iraqgunz
11-06-12, 13:25
I would much rather have a fixed rifle type stock than some pinned carbine stock which means you lose all the associated benefits. I would never drop 1000.00-1600.00 on an S&W rifle/ carbine. That's just me.

danno1
11-06-12, 18:14
The whole thing is my max is under 1000.00. What "complete" rifle that has the options LIKE THE S&W is compliant? What are thoughts on the Stag Mod 3?

Can someone give me model #s that is spoken highly here (without arriving in pieces) that will be passed through to a FFL dealer here in CT?

ST911
11-06-12, 18:37
Recommend you buy another known-good offering for now. Colt, BCM, Noveske, etc.

Split66
11-06-12, 18:47
IIRC some Colts are banned by name in CT. At least the pre ban SP's.

Eliakim
11-06-12, 18:48
You live in Connecticut eh? That is a state with some of the most unfathonable gun laws in the USA. In Connecticut gun owners have more to be concerned with than just the POTUS

I would try JoJo's Gun Works in Southington, or Newington Gun Exchange in Newington before shelling out any money. JoJo's had a new CT legal Colt 6920 for a mere $1,400 last time I was there a couple weeks ago. It's funny Colt being so expensive just a few miles from the factory where they make 'em.

danno1
11-06-12, 19:07
You live in Connecticut eh? That is a state with some of the most unfathonable gun laws in the USA. In Connecticut gun owners have more to be concerned with than just the POTUS

I would try JoJo's Gun Works in Southington, or Newington Gun Exchange in Newington before shelling out any money. JoJo's had a new CT legal Colt 6920 for a mere $1,400 last time I was there a couple weeks ago. It's funny Colt being so expensive just a few miles from the factory where they make 'em.

My point exactly. Believe me I would love to buy a Colt 6920 or something similar. THE ONLY allowed Colt here is the Match Target.

I was at and called Newington Guns, and Hoffman's. It's very rare to get the S&W guns I mentioned in stock much less any of the "better" brands. There are 4-6 month order times with even these.

I'll check JoJo's though.

halo2304
11-06-12, 19:53

So refreshing to hear this from a "noob." Lately, there's been a rash of "I'm new to ARs and I want to build" threads. Pardon me but...:suicide:

Clem
11-06-12, 20:43
The whole thing is my max is under 1000.00. What "complete" rifle that has the options LIKE THE S&W is compliant? What are thoughts on the Stag Mod 3?

Can someone give me model #s that is spoken highly here (without arriving in pieces) that will be passed through to a FFL dealer here in CT?

Why not save for another month or 2 and get something better? Why must it be under $1000?
Does this include money for mags, optics, light, sling, ammo?
You are so close to getting a better rifle with just over $1000.
Spoken of highly here are anything from BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, KAC, DD.
Not spoken highly here include Stag, Oly, Bushmaster, Windham...way too many to list them all.

It's not hard to get it in pieces. Especially if it's just 2 pieces (upper, lower).
You'll need to break it down to clean anyways. What's the hang up here?
And this way, you can do the compliance work yourself.
If you're not up to doing this, you can always send it to steve at adco. He does good work, and his prices are reasonable.

All the newer Colt LE6920's are all marked M4 Carbine, so it's not specifically named in the CT ban.
This one's under $1000.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx
But you'll need compliance work done.

Bmoe
11-06-12, 21:16
If I am dropping 1500 on a rifle it is going to be a BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense.

Iraqgunz
11-06-12, 21:32
You have alot of options. There are plenty of lowers that are legal in your state as far as I know. So why not get a BCM lower from Grant and then purchase a complete upper from BMC, along with a BCG and handguards drop it onto your lower and be done.

Another thing about your artificial budget constraints. If you can't spend more than 1K then you should just buy a pistol. You will still need ammo, magazines, sling, etc....

My point exactly. Believe me I would love to buy a Colt 6920 or something similar. THE ONLY allowed Colt here is the Match Target.

I was at and called Newington Guns, and Hoffman's. It's very rare to get the S&W guns I mentioned in stock much less any of the "better" brands. There are 4-6 month order times with even these.

I'll check JoJo's though.

danno1
11-07-12, 04:07
So refreshing to hear this from a "noob." Lately, there's been a rash of "I'm new to ARs and I want to build" threads. Pardon me but...:suicide:

Thanks for the thumbs up. :thank_you2:. Might sound "easy" for everyone here rebuilding these things. Especially the guys that can pick and choose these things like buying a sligshot at Walmart. But around here everything's top dollar and limited.

danno1
11-07-12, 04:25
Looking on Colt's web they have the new "compliant" models. I like the LE6940CA.
What do you guys think of this one? Even if you guys like it don't even know if I can get them here. Or the wait time.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCaliforniaCompliantRifles.aspx

Iraqgunz
11-07-12, 04:33
Why make this so difficult when you have been given simple choices to help you out?

Looking on Colt's web they have the new "compliant" models. I like the LE6940CA.
What do you guys think of this one? Even if you guys like it don't even know if I can get them here. Or the wait time.

Tzook
11-07-12, 09:08
Colt, BCM, DD, LMT and repeat.

SteveS
11-09-12, 14:21
Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense are by far the best quality AR s on the market.

danno1
11-09-12, 16:03
Why make this so difficult when you have been given simple choices to help you out?

The only way of getting a Top Quality Firearm is build one or wait 6 months for a complete here.

Forget Colt. Only the Target Match are allowed here in CT.

Airhasz
11-10-12, 07:04

This is a total solid choice op, if I lived in your area I'd jump on this Colt and start getting some range time!:cool:

SteveS
11-10-12, 13:43
I would much rather have a fixed rifle type stock than some pinned carbine stock which means you lose all the associated benefits. I would never drop 1000.00-1600.00 on an S&W rifle/ carbine. That's just me. +1!!! Not that S@W is a bad company but looking at the quality of the components and what you get for the money spent Colt, BCM and Daniel defense' component specs makes the S@W way overpriced.

Clem
11-10-12, 15:43
The only way of getting a Top Quality Firearm is build one or wait 6 months for a complete here.

Forget Colt. Only the Target Match are allowed here in CT.

Perhaps you need to re-read your state laws regarding "assault weapons"

It only bans Colt AR-15 or Sporter by name.
All the new Colt 6920 do not say AR-15 or Sporter.
They all say M4 Carbine.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/connecticut.aspx

You can buy a complete BCM rifle any time you want.
DD, LMT, all good to go too. You're not looking very hard if you can't find any of these.
Unless you have some pre-occupation of not wanting to buy it online and only getting it in a local shop, then you're screwing yourself.

ztug
11-10-12, 16:32
I have two Spike's, I like them alot, I bought complete lowers and complete uppers as opposed to complete guns, to avoid the 6 month or more wait. They both came in around $800. If I had it to do over again one would have been a Colt 6920 instead. Colt still doesn't have a mid lenght that I know of. I own several Colt 1911s, you can never go wrong with Colt.