PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Hooks

HES
11-06-12, 12:44
I am on the look out for a rescue hook. I am considering the BENCHMADE 8 BLKW Rescue Hook based on the reputation of Benchmade as well as the slender design. Any commentary on this hook or do you prefer another model?

ericridebike
11-06-12, 16:52
I've used the Benchmade models and they work great when new. Mine seemed to dull quicker than I thought it would with what I would say was moderate use. I found it very difficult to re-sharpen & ended up sending it back to Benchmade for their sharpening service. If you plan on just using it for "emergencies" I think it would do you well. I was working in an ER at the time I first got mine so I was using it a good bit. You may have better luck than I did with re-sharpening, I just couldn't seem to get it right when I tried.

TehLlama
11-07-12, 13:28
I like their 7 hook a ton - it fits in small places and is pretty low profile. I still run one on the seat belt for my truck.

Mine receive limited use (mostly sit there, but I usually use that one for opening mail and dumb tasks like that), so sharpness hasn't been a concern for me.

firemike
11-30-12, 01:11
I owned a Benchmade 5 in the past.

Great tool - I am sure it would have performed well for me ...

But I mounted the sheath inverted on suspenders - because that would have given me the best access ...

But that tool decided it was not right for me - sob - because it decided it needed to be free.

Vic303
12-03-12, 09:04
I've got a Benchmade Houdini (that's what they call it now) strapped to the steering column on the van, just in case.

BruceLeroy
12-04-12, 08:22
Ontario knife makes one that takes replacement razor blades. That baby cuts ACUs like their butter.

jwfuhrman
12-04-12, 09:07
Ontario knife makes one that takes replacement razor blades. That baby cuts ACUs like their butter.

Anything cuts ACU's like they are butter..... the material is crap lol

usmc1371
12-04-12, 14:27
I have been packing the #8 BM Hook for a few years in my hunting pack, I use it like a gut hook and it opens deer and elk like a zipper. Mine has been used a fair bit mostly on hide with lots of hair but also on some tarps and game bags and seems to be holding an edge as well as can be expected of any 440 class steel. I Wish they would make one out of S90V.

Allen
12-04-12, 15:16
I like shears better-preferably US or German made Stainless ones, the Chinese use something else for the rivet. I have found that hooks only work well when what you are trying to cut is under tension, ie. a locked seat belt, rope holding something etc. If your using it for day to day, there are some cheap models that use shop blades so you can change them easily and not have to sharpen it regularly.
Allen

airwayguru
12-04-12, 18:43
Benchmade makes great hooks. I carry the 7 hook as part of EDC in a custom made IWC holster. I carry a 8 hook in my infection control fanny pack and one in my primary trauma kit.

There is a guy locally that can sharpen them for me when I nned them to be sharpened.

odiesplace
12-04-12, 19:32
Just picked up some of the 8 hooks at the Benchmade holiday sale. I've had good luck with Benchmade knives so I'm sure the hooks will be fine

DevilDoc1138
01-18-13, 19:33
Im the military environment I have been using a Benchmade hook for a couple years and I love the thing. Easy to mount with the malice clip sheath and it is durable and cuts anything, good buy.

USAFPararescueDoc66
03-09-13, 18:28
I carried two benchmade rescue hooks while in theater and they have become an invaluable piece of kit. Many people will just use trauma shears, however, if you have to cut away webbing, tactical nylon, or cordora, a rescue hook will cut through like butter exposing the patient to trauma naked. This is imperative in order to wound sweep and identify any other trauma on the patient.

Be safe

-PararescueDoc66

triburst1
04-26-13, 09:27
The Benchmade 7 is my favorite. If only they'd incorporate the bottle opener from the 5, it would be perfect. :D

Letzgoracin301
04-26-13, 09:56
The 8 is nice because it can be handled easily and safely with heavy gloves.

Mr. Greene
05-18-13, 21:05
i have a benchmade on every seat belt and carry one behind my mag pouch when on duty i love them

Jerseymike
06-14-13, 01:46
I also use a benchmade model. Pretty useful . Small and compact. Used it for cutting ropes, seat belts and flex cuffs.

Ledanek
06-16-13, 20:18
Recently acquired the 7" but, totally confused on where to carry it, be it in the car at all times, or in my EDC bag? Or on person?
It came with a holster MOLLE but its not a pouch, so I'm worried it might fall off. Thinking of getting the pouch or a lanyard at this point?

titsonritz
06-16-13, 22:58
I have a Benchmade 5 on the outside of most of my trauma kits.

Ledanek
06-18-13, 20:52
this looks like a nice deal (with coupon) from knifeworks, unless anyone else knows where to get cheaper (https://www.knifeworks.com)
Benchmade 7BLKBLT Rescue Hooks / Strap Cutter
Item Number: BM7BLKBLT-J-31 (http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade7blkbltrescuehooksstrapcutter.aspx) $18.36

per their website:

he 7 Hook offers a handle with vinyl coating for enhanced grip.
440C stainless steel (58-60HRC); 7H20 features X15-TN stainless steel (58-60HRC)
Black powder coat finish with vinyl handle coating
Nylon webbing pouch with Velcro closure and retention band

What I received was the rescue hook and a plastic holster, as seen on 2nd picture.

I contacted their customer service and this is their reply

I guess when they updated the picture of the sheath on the website, they did not update description. Your order was shipped complete; they are no longer coming with the nylon sheath now. If you are not happy with the product since it does not come with the sheath as you expected, you are more than welcome to send it back. If you decide to, please call customer service at the number below and request RMA #.

Please do not take this as a moan or complain, but, since I directed some folks to this website, I just don't want anyone to go thru what happened to me.

My impression with the holster, IMHO, it would not hold the cutter safely or securely. It comes off the holster easily.

Not sure where to take this, but, at this moment, the cutter remains inside my EDC at all times, just in case it falls off the holster.

SeriousStudent
06-18-13, 21:23
That's a bummer about the sheath, Ledanek.

Maybe you can find a used empty sheath on fleabay for bladeforums?

Ledanek
06-18-13, 21:27
That's a bummer about the sheath, Ledanek.
Maybe you can find a used empty sheath on fleabay for bladeforums?

My wife keeps dragging me to those Ross/TJMaxx/Marshall stores, they have cellphone holsters that may do the job for $5.

One can only be so hopeful :D

SeriousStudent
06-18-13, 21:35
Hahahaha!!! And as soon as you are done, the tables are turned.

"Okay, dear, my turn. We're off to Cabela's and Pep Boys!"

I wonder why my ex never laughed when we did that? Hmmmm....

RioGrandeGreen
06-20-13, 13:08
ITS Tactical has some kydex sheaths for it.

http://www.itstactical.com/store/accessories/kydex-rescue-hook-sheaths/

Ledanek
06-20-13, 20:14
ITS Tactical has some kydex sheaths for it.
http://www.itstactical.com/store/accessories/kydex-rescue-hook-sheaths/

that is cool!

fortunately, I found a new home for it, forgot I have this all along :D
http://i.imgur.com/df9BsPBl.jpg
(not my pic) but, it fits nicely in there, and yes, I carry this tool with the rest of my EDC anyways.

Sometimes, the best thing in life, are those that you have, already.:D

RioGrandeGreen
06-21-13, 01:36
It's good to consolidate gear.

I carry a Leatherman Wave and and there is space in the sheath but I carry a accessory bit set that's got most sizes I use. I have the hook attached to a surplus saw pouch that I converted to a trauma med kit.

Mak8080
06-22-13, 01:43
I have a couple Benchmades that have been serving me quite well over the years.

usmcvet
07-18-13, 10:46
I use the Benchmade Triage and buy them for our officers. Knife, Window Punch and Cutter all in one. It's in my pocket now.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/915