PDA

View Full Version : SF M900 (Why so much)?

The Archangel
02-13-08, 14:35
Ok, I understand about reliability and getting what you pay for, but damn folks!

I think Surefire make a good product, but I don't understand how a FLASHLIGHT with a grip and LED's can costs $600.

I've been in harm's way in both theaters of the sandbox and I was issued a SF and it work... so did the $79 Pentagon light that I brought with me.

Can someone please enlighten me on why people believe that the M900 is woth $600?

:confused:

GlockWRX
02-13-08, 15:07
Well, even new I doubt you'll pay as much as $600. I think they are a lot less than that, regardless of what MSRP is.

As to why they are that much, really sit down and look at one. They have two pressure pads for the main light, another pressure pad for the LEDs, a constant on switch, a lockout switch, the main light itself, two LED lights, a clamping mechanism, battery compartment, and all of the wiring that goes between all that stuff. What you are paying for is the integration of all that into one mechanism that is robust, ergonomic, and streamlined (but heavy).

To my mind, the issue is whether or not most people need that much capability in a light. I think many people would be fine with an X300 and the VFG of their choice.

ToddG
02-13-08, 19:53
I've got one and actually switched to a simple Streamlight 3-cell LED. It was very hard to get it situated in a comfortable location on my (former) 552 due to the rail design on the gun.

The Archangel
02-14-08, 14:06
Ok, don't throw me off to the deep end of the pool because I do have good gear on my weapon, but I've been looking at this:

http://www.hellasairsoft.com/reviews/Rico_Alpha9_Tactical_Light/index.html

It's still $200 bucks. :o

:D

RogerinTPA
02-14-08, 14:40
SF is just gouging the military, law enforcement and the civilians across the board with there extremely marked up flash lights. They are excellent products, but to take advantage of the war and law enforcement, puts them right up there with the ammo manufacturers and retailers who have artificially and wrongfully marked up 5.56/.223 ammo.

Failure2Stop
02-14-08, 15:24
Rico? Just say NO.

There is a reason that knock-off gear goes well with knock-off nylon, knock-off guns, and knock-off optics.

Why is the M900 expensive? Materials, technology, support, innovation. In short- because it's worth it, if that is what you want.

Don't want to spend that much? Fine, there are other options that I prefer, but they are not the same configuration anyway.

nickdrak
02-14-08, 17:09
In the free market the "best" product will prevail. If you don't like it; boohoo. There is no monopoly & your not forced to buy.

As far as price gouging, really? What is there overhead? Insurance cost, RDTE, payroll, tooling, etc.

Why is ammo more 1) the raw materials have more than doubled in price 2) demand

If your going to make an informed comment, please do. Adolescent naysayery is not encouraged here.

NO AFFILITION to Surefire

BINGO!!!

Aside from that, the M900 offers a unique combination of features not available from any other manufacturer, neatly configured in a highly ergonomic & functional package. If it fits your needs, then it is the best available option. If it doesnt, then there are dozens of other weaponlight options available for all different price levels.

RogerinTPA
02-14-08, 20:40
In the free market the "best" product will prevail. If you don't like it; boohoo. There is no monopoly & your not forced to buy.

As far as price gouging, really? What is there overhead? Insurance cost, RDTE, payroll, tooling, etc.

Why is ammo more 1) the raw materials have more than doubled in price 2) demand

If your going to make an informed comment, please do. Adolescent naysayery is not encouraged here.

NO AFFILITION to Surefire

So what your saying is, if I'm not saying what you think is right or what you believe, then I'm not entitled to my opinion, and that its adolescent? Then you need to make the same damn statement for half the uninformed opinions and comments on the forum. I am entitled to my opinion and what I believe, just like you. You don't like it, you can kiss my ass industry professional. That's a recap on freedom of speech. Thanks on the recap on capitalism by the way....

ToddG
02-14-08, 22:09
(1) Freedom of speech is owed only by the government. "Freedom of speech" doesn't allow you to say things in a privately owned and operated forum without the owners' permission, and it does not entitle you to protection from other people expressing their opinions of your words.

(2) If you say something ignorant like "ammo companies are gouging the military," especially during a time of war, you might want to prepare for industry insiders to explain that your ass is showing.

(3) The Big Three are constantly competing for major government ammo contracts and none of them is charging a penny more than necessary. If you do a little math, you can figure out about how much the FBI is getting charged on their new ammo contract ... they're definitely not getting gouged.

(4) And just fyi, the primary reasons that ammo prices have jumped over the past few years include, but are not limited to: huge increase in worldwide demand for and therefore price for lead; huge increase in worldwide demand for and therefore price for copper; increased fuel costs raising manufacturing costs across the board in all industries; the weak dollar making it even more expensive to compete for metals and other supplies on the world market.

STAFF
02-15-08, 08:31
So what your saying is, if I'm not saying what you think is right or what you believe, then I'm not entitled to my opinion, and that its adolescent? Then you need to make the same damn statement for half the uninformed opinions and comments on the forum. I am entitled to my opinion and what I believe, just like you. You don't like it, you can kiss my ass industry professional. That's a recap on freedom of speech. Thanks on the recap on capitalism by the way....

IP's are a protected animal around here. Please read rule #3: https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

You can disagree with them all you want, but telling them to "kiss your ass" is not going to fly.

Consider this a warning.