PDA

View Full Version : TGI AMD-65 first thoughts(pics inside)

maddawg5777
11-06-12, 18:59
Ok, another poster wanted me to do a review since I stated I was waiting on my new AMD to arrive. First off ill state I have other HD weapons this was more of a range toy. That out of the way, I placed an order through JG sales for a Hungarian AMD-65 last Thursday. It is supposed to be factory new built by FEG, which seems to be a decent company. It arrived at my shop today. I went there with my fingers crossed hoping that a 450 dollar AK variant wouldn't be an epic turd. This is what she looks like right out of the box. (sorry iphone pics, its all I have)
http://i49.tinypic.com/a1iefs.jpg

The paint finish is good enough as I plan on repainting it anyways. I think it is ugly but awesome at the same time. First I checked the sights...holy shit no cant. Plus 1 for me. Secondly the receiver is as tight as a gnats ass stretched across a bass drum. Not a hint of flex ANYWHERE. All the rivets are pressed in correctly and the muzzle devise is welded although shitily seems to hold very well.
http://i49.tinypic.com/se3t3n.jpg

I opened her up and everything seems new and all matching numbers. Also another win since the factory barrels are chrome lined. Also the ejector seems to be in spec and not deformed it also looks to cut through the bolt correctly. Sorry I couldnt really get a pic of that.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2mg9kq9.jpg

Another concern was the mag well. If I recall correctly these are built on a sa-2000m recievers which are originally single stack and cut to fit double stack mags. Overall I was quite impressed with the cut, it seems to be very well done and no burrs to be found. Also it locks up tight with the provided crapco mag yay:rolleyes:. No wiggle at all. Unfortunately I dont have any other mags to test this with as of right now.
http://i50.tinypic.com/1606ark.jpg

The action is nice and smooth and the G2 trigger is light and I have no real complaints. I hand cycled some silver bear soft points and they all fed. Figured this would be a decent test since SP ammo and AK's dont always get along. The wire stock is solid. The button is extremely hard to push in, but Id rather have that than a loose one. Also seen people bitch about not getting a cheek weld with it, all I have to say is that it is more of a jawbone weld and isnt as bad as other have stated. Over all cant wait to test fire this thing. The muzzle break is ridiculous and is supposedly a flame thrower. Here are a few more random pics I took. I add in that future mods will include new grip, rail ,sling and a light, but gotta test fire her first. Also this is my first real review with pics, dont be affraid to flame away I can use the critisism.:cool:
http://i45.tinypic.com/3022r8i.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/rbbql4.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2dh681z.jpg

Dirknar
11-06-12, 19:31
Congrats, It looks well worth 450 bucks to me.. I guess the range report will really tell.. Thank you for taking the time and posting this and taking pictures.. Very much appreciated, I'm trying to learn what i can about AK's right now. I'm going to check out jg sales.

John Fritz
11-06-12, 19:41
Shit, I'd buy one if I had the money. Looks good to me!

Don't forget the range report when you get her out there for some real fun.

maddawg5777
11-06-12, 19:55
Will be doing a range report as soon as I can. Supporting 3 kids on unemployment and post 9-11 GI bill can be tough to get a good assortment of ammo and mags. Thanks for looking.

Doc. Holiday
11-07-12, 09:20
Looks like a great find! I hope everything else works out for ya.

1911-A1
11-07-12, 11:32
Why are AMD-65s so popular? They seem to have a lot of undesirable features, such as a terrible wire stock, metal handguards, exposed gas tube, non-ergonomic foregrip, loud, permanent muzzle device. I've handled them before and can't see what the attraction is. Are they amazingly accurate? Soft shooters?

jamesavery22
11-07-12, 13:02
Why are AMD-65s so popular? They seem to have a lot of undesirable features, such as a terrible wire stock, metal handguards, exposed gas tube, non-ergonomic foregrip, loud, permanent muzzle device. I've handled them before and can't see what the attraction is. Are they amazingly accurate? Soft shooters?

AFAIK they are attractive because they are an AK that functions and is easily found for <$500.

I agree. They need a fair amount of work. I've yet to see a sub $1K AK that doesn't though...

Need a new brake(which for most means sending the rifle off to someone).
Need a new lower HG.
Needs an upper HG period.
Stock needs a riser.

If someone dropped on in my lap for $300 I'd happily play with it.

maddawg5777
11-07-12, 16:00
My interested was caught by the fact that they are unusual amd light weight. I agree it needs a different hand guard. Im looking at the MI/us palm combo set up for a t1. The stock does leave a little to be desired, but its not half as terrible as some make it out to be I think I will just wrap it in papra cord and call it good. Overall a new factory built AK that has a good rep for working for under 500 bucks, I couldn't pass that up. rumor is that they are really soft shooters and have outstanding accuracy even with the sort sight radius. also if one wants to sbr it,then it will be set up like they are originally designed. Only bummer to report is not being able to use surplus mags till I replace 2 parts, so Im stuck with crapco or US palm.:suicide:

Ill also add that replacing the muzzle devise is easy. Buy one, several are made that aren't as loud. Take it to a muffler shop and grind the weld then install the new flash hider/break/whatever and pay the guy 5 bucks to spot weld it and your done. Dont need to send it off anywhere.

jamesavery22
11-07-12, 19:24
My interested was caught by the fact that they are unusual amd light weight. I agree it needs a different hand guard. Im looking at the MI/us palm combo set up for a t1. The stock does leave a little to be desired, but its not half as terrible as some make it out to be I think I will just wrap it in papra cord and call it good. Overall a new factory built AK that has a good rep for working for under 500 bucks, I couldn't pass that up. rumor is that they are really soft shooters and have outstanding accuracy even with the sort sight radius. also if one wants to sbr it,then it will be set up like they are originally designed. Only bummer to report is not being able to use surplus mags till I replace 2 parts, so Im stuck with crapco or US palm.:suicide:

Ill also add that replacing the muzzle devise is easy. Buy one, several are made that aren't as loud. Take it to a muffler shop and grind the weld then install the new flash hider/break/whatever and pay the guy 5 bucks to spot weld it and your done. Dont need to send it off anywhere.

I might be mistaken. I was under the impression the brake is what keeps the barrel at >16".
Removing that while in possession of the receiver moves into weird legal territory. Those with a specific ATF license, SOT I believe?, can do this with no issue. Hence why most people send this work off.
I agree the machining work is simple. Was speaking from a legal perspective.

This is the best example I've seen of converting an AMD to a worthy rifle:
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachments/f43/18172d1194109440-custom-amd-mvc-008f.jpg

eng208
11-07-12, 20:01
They are nice. I love mine. See my review on same.

John Fritz
11-07-12, 20:05
Why are AMD-65s so popular? ...
$459.00 shipped (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1089/products_id/411545173/VIP+FAST+TRACK). That's why.

maddawg5777
11-07-12, 20:49
I might be mistaken. I was under the impression the brake is what keeps the barrel at >16".
Removing that while in possession of the receiver moves into weird legal territory. Those with a specific ATF license, SOT I believe?, can do this with no issue. Hence why most people send this work off.
I agree the machining work is simple. Was speaking from a legal perspective.

You are right it does keep the barrel at 16". But if the weld was to break and you re-weld it, oh well. Its not like sending it off to get fixed doesn't take time to get figured out. What do you do then, technically it would be illegal to own but its yours and you need a fix. Grey areas in the law are hard to figure out.

eng208
11-07-12, 21:04
Guys, it is all intent. The ATF is not out to make a case against anybody unless need be. If someone turns you in (obviously the ATF doesn't have agents hiding in your bushes), they will investigate you and make a reasonable determination of your intent. If they find you have intentionally shortened this rifle to less than 16", then you will have problems. If you have a weld break, and make efforts to reestablish that weld they are not going to come raid your home and throw you in the federal pen.

maddawg5777
11-07-12, 21:47
Guys, it is all intent. The ATF is not out to make a case against anybody unless need be. If someone turns you in (obviously the ATF doesn't have agents hiding in your bushes), they will investigate you and make a reasonable determination of your intent. If they find you have intentionally shortened this rifle to less than 16", then you will have problems. If you have a weld break, and make efforts to reestablish that weld they are not going to come raid your home and throw you in the federal pen.

Thats exactly how I under stood it. Same goes if you bought an upper thats 14.5" then you attach and weld the brake to make it legal. If your not using the weapon as a sbr your in the clear, I just would suggest fixing it asap and no assclownery showing your friends your awesome illegal rifle.

I-M4-REAL
11-07-12, 23:51
Why are AMD-65s so popular?

Well first off they're 8" shorter than you average AR15 so that's one reason why...
A Colt LE6920 is 33-1/2" long with the stock collapsed w/a YHM flash hider attached... The AMD65 is only 25-1/2" long with the stock folded to the tip of the FH!! They also have a chrome lined bbl, all parts matching #'s, chambered up in the hard hitting ass stompin' 7.62x39 round all built on a FEG receiver!!!
They also make an excellent CQB or truck gun with their compact size and being tuff as nails is what makes 'em such a bad MOFO !!! Just think, all that for the very low price of only $429! How can you beat that!!!! And the ammo is cheap too!
BTW: They can be configured w/ traditional or a tactical AK furniture or w/ AR15 stocks, rails ect. w/little or no mods.

ForTehNguyen
11-09-12, 21:13
get one of these pieces to give you a cheek weld. I have one and its very comfortable afterwards. Much easier to point

http://www.amd65tech.com/

Hizzie
11-09-12, 22:20
When circumstances forced me to thin the herd down to a single AK my AMD-65 was the one that remained. On paper the obnoxious brake and wire folder made it less than ideal. When bullets met the berm it was the hands down winner. In my hands the AMD-65 handles the best of the various AK variants. I really need to find a way to add another.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Draco/1341527198.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Draco/1341527199.jpg

TacticalSledgehammer
11-10-12, 08:22
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/Josh216_photos/b879184123ba349042a50e953f0b3284.jpg

I'm going to eventually put a hand guard on it similar to my troy trx from carolina shooters supply. I like having both feel similar. during shooting.

maddawg5777
11-10-12, 09:21
Thanks for the pics guys!

Range report! (added video, let me know if it works)
I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Tula fmj to test for functionality. By the time I made it up the mountain it was getting dark and with the snow front moving in tonight was quite windy. I chose to just throw up a shoot n C target at 50. At first I was about 2 inches right and 2 inches low. At least it was holding a group. A quick adjustment and I set the sights for about an inch high at 50, Ill have to check my 100 yard zero another time.

Next the few of us passed it around and just ran round through it. Ejection was strong and the crapco mag feed flawlessly. I have to say I was skeptical of the wire folder but found if I put my nose to the rear trunion and just use my body to swallow up the stock it was quick to come on sights and reasonably comfortable. I guess I wont be spending money on a riser. Even though the muzzle break is loud and throws a mean fire ball it did little to impede the irons even in low light.(not that I would want to use it in a pitch black room) Also I have shot several 7.62 ak variants and I have to say this is the sofftest shooting ak I have ever shot. It places equal if not better than my 14.5 middy. I will say this is perceived recoil but all 3 of my fellow "testers" said it didn't have much recoil for them either. I added a shitty blackhawk 3 point sling which seemed to hold up to the heat of the gas tube and barrel(its the one that wraps around the front hand guards, I ran it between the gas tube and barrel). Still looking for another option but it works for now.

Overall i didn't test for groups much as it was getting dark and my kids were playing in my car waiting but I will say speedy off hand at 50 was an easy 2-3 inch group.

Final note, for 460 bucks this is not a bad ak variant to purchase. Its not an arsenal or krebs but for the man on a family budget I would put it on the top of the list. No malfunctions in over 100 rounds to report. Also TGI is not importing these anymore so it is only a matter of time before they are all gone.
http://youtu.be/fagjMdGI5Q0

TacticalSledgehammer
11-10-12, 09:30
I think you'll like it. I'd put mine up against any arsenal the way I have it now. The Hungarian's quality (minus paint finish) I feel is on par with bulgarian. You'll not notice crappy machining on any of the parts. They even still have round firing pins vs the flat pins used by many.

maddawg5777
11-10-12, 10:20
I haven't touched an arsenal in a year or so, Im not saying the amd is a turd but from what i remember the arsenal was a little more refined. As far as shooting goes they seem to be equal in my little experience. But time will tell with this one.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-11-12, 07:58
The finish on the arsenal is better for sure. I remember picking an amd-65 parts kit up at knob creek that was blued. I'm not sure if it was original or not. All the kits I've has in the past were painted.

Hizzie
11-11-12, 10:26
True the finish on an Arsenal AK looks nicer. Get anything stronger than CLP on it and it melts right off. There are plenty of pics of AK's that guys repainted that look pretty damn good and were nothing more than rattle can spray jobs. Function > Form

maddawg5777
11-11-12, 12:15
I plan on beating most the paint off this thing within a few months, then it will be time for good rattle can. I much prefer that a rifle works compared to how it looks. Shit I adjusted my sight with a cleaning rod and a hammer, not worried about finish in the least.

Al Bundy
11-11-12, 23:53
I like mine an awful lot. Runs 100%, no issues at all. The forward grip and metal handguard work for me just fine. Added a riser from AMD65tech and swapped the brake out for an extended flash hider. Put an IDF sling on it and have right at $600 in it with shipping (from Centerfire) and transfer.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/coolsteve69/a1.jpg

Top target is a bunch of rounds offhand at 50 yards or so, with the ones toward the bottom before I adjusted the front sight a bit. Lower target is 10 or so rounds from a bench at about 50 yards.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/coolsteve69/amd2.jpg

Weather and work have kept me from putting more than a few hundred rounds through it in the little time I've had it but like I said, it runs 100%.

Al Bundy
11-11-12, 23:58
Here's a better shot of the fh. Got it from USmachinegun.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/coolsteve69/a2.jpg

Took about 30 seconds with a hacksaw to cut through the bead of weld holding the original brake on, then took the rifle and a six pack over to a friends and he welded the new one on for me.

Doc. Holiday
11-12-12, 08:50
I haven't touched an arsenal in a year or so, Im not saying the amd is a turd but from what i remember the arsenal was a little more refined. As far as shooting goes they seem to be equal in my little experience. But time will tell with this one.

How is your bolt? Is it smooth or is it a bit on the rough side?

maddawg5777
11-12-12, 09:38
How is your bolt? Is it smooth or is it a bit on the rough side?

The bolt itself if quite smooth, the carrier, on the other hand has alot of machine marks all over it. The bolt still rides smooth in the channels even with the crappy machining.

Also I got bored yesterday and broke out some magpul rail sections and my drill. I will post pics of my add-ons in a bit.

maddawg5777
11-12-12, 09:44
Here's a better shot of the fh. Got it from USmachinegun.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/coolsteve69/a2.jpg

Took about 30 seconds with a hacksaw to cut through the bead of weld holding the original brake on, then took the rifle and a six pack over to a friends and he welded the new one on for me.

Al, how well does that flash hider work? Also did you notice any increase in felt recoil or muzzle climb when you got rid of the break. I like the factory break, the fireball is kind of fun. Although I see it as a tactical disadvantage overall. This rifle is more of a fun gun than anything else until it proves its self reliable.(another 300 rounds or so trouble free)

maddawg5777
11-12-12, 10:20
So I got tired of the factory front grip and wanted to add a light. I dug out a couple old magpul rail sections and started fitting them to the rifle. I used the small 2 1/2? section on the side and just ran the allen screws through the provided slots and tightened. To add a rail to the bottom was more of a challenge. After removing the hand guard and front grip I noticed a small "bump" put in the metal to help assist in holding the factory grip in place. I matched up the existing hole with one on the longer magpul rail section. Then marked where the bump was in correlation to the rail. I used a sanding wheel and my drill and removed some of the underside of the rail until is sat flush as possible. Then I marked the second hole on the hand guard and use a 11/32 drill bit to drill out the hole. The allen screw was just a little too big, and as I had lost my last magpul "nut" I decided to try and just ream the hole a little larger until the allen screw would just fit, then screw it into the metal. I must say it worked great. The is no flex on either rail and it is a cheap option over buying rails.

http://i45.tinypic.com/34yctfk.jpg

Now Ill just need an ultimak railed gas tube and an optic, but I'm good for now. Also I ran the blackhawk sling this way for over 100 rounds the other day and it shows no sign of melting. I was supprised!

Al Bundy
11-12-12, 12:13
Al, how well does that flash hider work? Also did you notice any increase in felt recoil or muzzle climb when you got rid of the break. I like the factory break, the fireball is kind of fun. Although I see it as a tactical disadvantage overall. This rifle is more of a fun gun than anything else until it proves its self reliable.(another 300 rounds or so trouble free)

It works well. With the original brake there was noticable muzzle flash even in broad daylight and that's gone now. With the stock vfg set up I get a good solid grip on the gun so maybe that's why, but I didn't really notice any more recoil/muzzle climb than before.

Vintovka
11-12-12, 18:26
I'm a big fan of the AMD-65. This one has about 8,000 flawless rounds through it. I got it for Christmas in 2010. Silhouette targets out to 400 yards are easy. Mag dumps are fun too.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580801_504233922923487_1016503801_n.jpg

maddawg5777
11-12-12, 18:52
I'm a big fan of the AMD-65. This one has about 8,000 flawless rounds through it. I got it for Christmas in 2010. Silhouette targets out to 400 yards are easy. Mag dumps are fun too.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580801_504233922923487_1016503801_n.jpg

They seem to be the best "value" ak on the market. I was surprised how good of accuracy I could achieve without much of a cheek weld and the narrow sight radius.

alvincullumyork
11-13-12, 21:58
What are some good options for replacement furniture for the front end? Lower hand guard and gas tube cover.

I wish I had some money right now.:(

maddawg5777
11-13-12, 22:05
What are some good options for replacement furniture for the front end? Lower hand guard and gas tube cover.

I wish I had some money right now.:(

Midwest industries make a nice lower hand guard/rail and they sell a combo gas tube cover that can be set up for multiple optics. Plus it co-witnesses the sights. I think they are running right around 120 bucks atm. There is always utg. Although not really on the quality end and heavy they make a quad rail setup, if you are trying to just replace the hand guards and cover the tube a bit it would work. I think they run around 70 bucks. Also the top rail will not co witness with your irons, just a thought. You can google "utg amd pro", that should pull up the cheaper rail.

Hizzie
11-13-12, 23:20
My rifle in the previous pics is wearing the Midwest Industries Extended SS Handguard (MI-AK-SS-X) with standard top cover.

Al Bundy
11-14-12, 00:50

A standard lower handguard fits fine, I have one that looks like it would take just a bit sanding/filing on the front edge and it would drop right in. You can mod (shorten a bit and bell the end back out) a regular AK gas tube to use a standard upper handguard.

Honestly though the stock handguard/foregrip combo works a lot better than you would think from looking at it. At least for me...

Doc. Holiday
11-14-12, 09:02
There is always utg. Although not really on the quality end and heavy they make a quad rail setup, if you are trying to just replace the hand guards and cover the tube a bit it would work. I think they run around 70 bucks. Also the top rail will not co witness with your irons, just a thought. You can google "utg amd pro", that should pull up the cheaper rail.

There's just something wack about putting airsoft stuff on real steel... :S

maddawg5777
11-14-12, 11:35
There's just something wack about putting airsoft stuff on real steel... :S

I agree but he asked what options were out there, so I gave him one higher end and one lower end. I could have been mean and said use google lol.

KalashniKEV
11-14-12, 12:27

You can easily make an AMD length upper HG by cutting a standard gas tube to fit and then heating/ pounding out the flutes.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/AMD.png

Doc. Holiday
11-14-12, 12:36
I agree but he asked what options were out there, so I gave him one higher end and one lower end. I could have been mean and said use google lol.

Haha very true, no I wasn't trying to be a douche bag, I just said that as a warning to anyone who might read this thread and see the "UTG can be used for real steel..." Yes it can be used with real steel, but please fork out the extra $30 and get something that was made for shooting, not a BB gun.

alvincullumyork
11-14-12, 14:38
Haha very true, no I wasn't trying to be a douche bag, I just said that as a warning to anyone who might read this thread and see the "UTG can be used for real steel..." Yes it can be used with real steel, but please fork out the extra $30 and get something that was made for shooting, not a BB gun.

Yeah I would never put UTG stuff on any gun. I think it may actually be an unforgivable mortal sin (check with your local priest).

I was thinking about more of a standard ak hand guard. I thought Krebs used to make a set but I can't seem to find them. Another consideration would be to have a set that was made in the US for 922r?

Doc. Holiday
11-14-12, 15:34
Ultimak?

maddawg5777
11-14-12, 15:37
Ultimak?

http://ultimak.com/ACR2Compact.htm
220 bones for rail.

Doc. Holiday
11-14-12, 17:20
Yup. Start saving your pennies...

maddawg5777
11-17-12, 10:58

Vintovka, have you had to replace anything other than springs in that 8000 rounds? Trying to see what I may need to pick up for spare parts.

Vintovka
11-17-12, 13:58
Vintovka, have you had to replace anything other than springs in that 8000 rounds? Trying to see what I may need to pick up for spare parts.

Negative. Haven't had to replace anything; not even springs. Two people I shoot with have AMDs as well. The one guy has about 3,500 through his and the other just over 1,000. No issues at all.

maddawg5777
11-17-12, 14:41
Im surprised that the recoil spring hasnt required replacement. How is the tension holding up? I tried looking up the factory Hungarian factory maintenance schedules but everything I found was in Hungarian. Also how does the bolt look after 8k? Your the first person Ive seen with a higher round count through one.

Vintovka
11-18-12, 13:46
Im surprised that the recoil spring hasnt required replacement. How is the tension holding up? I tried looking up the factory Hungarian factory maintenance schedules but everything I found was in Hungarian. Also how does the bolt look after 8k? Your the first person Ive seen with a higher round count through one.

Recoil spring tension is still very acceptable. I would expect to get at least 5,000 more rounds out of it before replacement might become necessary. The bolt shows some wear. Nothing structural, but the finish is definitely showing its use. I clean the AMD after every 2-3 range trips and after hiking if there was rain or high humidity. Everything still looks pretty good. These are durable weapons, the Hungarians made some of the best AKs.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/430752_557313524282193_453760988_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534737_557313604282185_325692571_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/405118_557313710948841_205132206_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/578946_557313797615499_72825698_n.jpg

Let me know if there are any specific pictures you'd like to see.

Vintovka
11-18-12, 13:50
Just to be clear, it's definitely a good idea to have some spare parts ready. My AMD has been great so far, but maybe something will fail tomorrow. You never know. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

maddawg5777
11-18-12, 21:01
Just to be clear, it's definitely a good idea to have some spare parts ready. My AMD has been great so far, but maybe something will fail tomorrow. You never know. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Very true. The rifle looks great, lots of good character added there. Just one more pic, if you could, down the bore. Id like to see how the rifling is holding up. My friends cai rommy was about done at 10k. I know its apples to oranges talking about FEG and CAI, but would like to see how the barrel help up over all. I greatly appreciate your effort.

EDIT, also how is the tail on your bolt carrier. I have seen some that were mushroomed badly. Im guessing the g2 trigger is harder than the carrier?

Vintovka
11-19-12, 17:54
Very true. The rifle looks great, lots of good character added there. Just one more pic, if you could, down the bore. Id like to see how the rifling is holding up. My friends cai rommy was about done at 10k. I know its apples to oranges talking about FEG and CAI, but would like to see how the barrel help up over all. I greatly appreciate your effort.

EDIT, also how is the tail on your bolt carrier. I have seen some that were mushroomed badly. Im guessing the g2 trigger is harder than the carrier?

I'm having difficulty getting a decent shot of the bore. It's a little "dark" but the rifling appears to be pretty strong. Accuracy is still great. I'll post one when I figure out the best way to get it. Here's the bolt carrier. It is mushroomed a little bit but has been for a long time, I don't think it will get any worse.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526221_557893360890876_1429949463_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534549_557893407557538_1574987713_n.jpg

Smash
11-19-12, 19:59
So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock, railed fore-end, and grip anyway. This would be a fairly reasonable entry? Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?

Doc. Holiday
11-20-12, 08:56
I think you should be all right.

maddawg5777
11-20-12, 09:43
So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock, railed fore-end, and grip anyway. This would be a fairly reasonable entry? Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?

This ak is different but does take some other ak accessories. The stock can be changed but it is a bit of work. Either you can buy a krebs custom rear trunion to install a different butt stock but its spendy. Or you can buy a cheek riser, I find the factory stock to work well once your used to it. Also the gas tube doesn't have hand guard retainers so some hand guards are limited or have to be fitted to it. Over all Id say its a good buy for the first time ak owner if you know the limitations. In todays market getting an ak that runs reliably for under 500 is unheard of. Most of the ak's in the same price range or even a bit higher are century imports and its a big gamble if your getting a good one. If you can afford it arsenals are nice aks and come with standard furniture.

vintovka, the tail doesn't look bad, figured a bore/rifling shot would be hard. Might be easiest to put a flash light in the receiver and try and take a shot from the muzzle. My cell phone just sux and wont get a good picture either way.

EDIT, Smash for railed for-ends Midwest Industries and Ultimak make a set that fit the AMD-65, and they are higher quality so you are covered there. Grips are the same as any ak its just the stock that is really different.

KalashniKEV
11-20-12, 10:30
Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?

The different parts are the rear trunnion, gas piston, gas tube and receiver.

So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock

vs. "Common Stock" lol

It all depends on what stock you prefer, but the AMD rear trunnion is not a standard AKM trunnion with the tang.

If you want a standard rear trunnion, you will have to grind off the rivets, slide out the AMD trunnion, weld up the holes, install a standard rear trunnion, and rivet (or weld/screw).

The AMD stock is a nice compact type that really isn't as bad as people say though.

railed fore-end, and grip anyway.

The lower handguard is the same, but the gas tube is much shorter. If you are looking for a 12 o'clock rail, it will have to be a design that hoops over the gas tube and doesn't interact with it, or is designed to work with the short AMD tube (like the UltiMAK M7-B).

Smash
11-20-12, 11:58
I appreciate all the information.

My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.(AR's in the USMC, AR's primarily in my business, AR's for the home.) So I think I felt like I could buy something cheap to get into AKs and be fine.

However, I feel just like with everything AR, I should spend the money to get the goods event though it is my entry into the platform. So maybe this isn't the option for me.

Doc. Holiday
11-20-12, 12:07
The lower handguard is the same, but the gas tube is much shorter. If you are looking for a 12 o'clock rail, it will have to be a design that hoops over the gas tube and doesn't interact with it, or is designed to work with the short AMD tube (like the UltiMAK M7-B).

I completely forgot about the gas tube! I forgot how short it was. Glad you mentioned that.

KalashniKEV
11-20-12, 12:30
My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.

If you're not pumped, then my advice is to get a standard pattern AKM and see if the platform, round, and characteristics of both are doing it for you.

A WASR, so long as it has the Cugir or Ratmil CHF Chrome lined barrel and an acceptable mag well is an impressive rifle. Yes, even if it has a bit of cant and you end up drifting the front sight, is still impressive.

The AMD is a specialty gun, and while it doesn't draw the same oooohs and aaaaaahs as a Krinkov, I believe it to be a superior platform.

I built two, a standard pattern to appreciate the rifle (shown here with a simple muzzle nut) and one with an AKM rear trunnion:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_1566.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/AMD.png

Hizzie
11-20-12, 12:32

My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.(AR's in the USMC, AR's primarily in my business, AR's for the home.) So I think I felt like I could buy something cheap to get into AKs and be fine.

However, I feel just like with everything AR, I should spend the money to get the goods event though it is my entry into the platform. So maybe this isn't the option for me.

The AMD isn't a bad AK. They have some odd features but are very workable. IMHO they handle the best of the AK variants. Plenty of accessories out there to "improve" the rifle for your needs. You could do a lot worse. For a rifle that you aren't "feeling" anyway it is a relatively inexpensive way to dip your toes in the water.

maddawg5777
11-20-12, 12:35

I was the same way, carried a M-4 everyday for six years, built my own middy and only really played with a friends ak or when I was overseas. I got bored working with just ar platforms and decided to buy an ak to change things up a bit. Now I think I'm starting to like the AMD a little more than my middy. Also I'm less tempted to buy new things to try out with an ak pattern rifle since there isn't quite as much aftermarket (that is quality anyway) out there.

Vintovka
11-24-12, 20:25
A friend and I took our AMDs out for an all-night arctic expedition last night. Did 6:00AM mag dumps after letting them get buried in snow for a while. They loved it.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/556774_560154283998117_1780553979_n.jpg

maddawg5777
11-25-12, 12:25
Haha, nice, Ive been wanting to get my rifle out in the cold but Colorado refuses to get cold and snow this year.

Doc. Holiday
11-26-12, 08:59
Yea Utah is having the same kind of weather. We need the moisture... :(

maddawg5777
11-26-12, 14:32
Yea Utah is having the same kind of weather. We need the moisture... :(

Right, yesterday was 5% humidity and 75 degrees. Wtf, I thought it was November.

maddawg5777
11-29-12, 20:51
Went out for another range session. I came across a few discussions online that tulammo 124gr H.P. were using the 8m3 bullets. I used an empty milk jug filled with water and shot one at about 10-12 yards. Here are the results.

http://i45.tinypic.com/wrkfhx.jpg

I don't know if tulammo are using the 8m3 bullet design but it seemed to fragment extremely well. Anyone have any definitive data on the matter?

Vintovka
11-29-12, 21:19
It is 8M3. An email from the CEO of TulAmmo regarding this:

"I wanted to respond to your email, but I was waiting to receive a definitive response from Ulyanovsk before I replied. The Tulammo HP bullet you refer to below is the only bullet currently being imported into the U.S. from the Ulyanovsk factory in Russia. The “T” in Tulammo stands for The Tula Cartridge Company. The “UL” stands for The Ulyanovsk Cartridge Company. Until you asked the question, I was under the assumption that all of the 124 GR. HP bullets had the necessary cuts inside the bullet to provide a similar effect as the 8M3. I was informed today, that under their manufacturing guidelines, roughly 10% of the production could have bullets that might not have as detailed cuts as the 8M3. For your information, this is the exact same guideline that has been in place since the first Ulyanovsk production was imported into the U.S. Nothing has changed at the Ulyanovsk factory concerning this over the past twenty years of Russian imports into the U.S. I have only been involved with the two Russian factories since November of 2009. Prior to that, I owned Sellier & Bellot, USA. If I had known of the discrepancy, I would have informed Ulyanovsk that 100% of the bullets (no manufacturing process for bullets will always guarantee 100%) need to meet the criteria. Even though Ulyanovsk cannot specifically tell us the exact production requirements of the military 8M3 bullet, I was assured today that they will take the necessary steps to implement the production of any future Tulammo 124 GR. HP bullets as closely as possible to the 8M3.

Best regards,

Ed Grasso
President

maddawg5777
11-29-12, 21:44
Good to see. Glad I bought a couple hundred. Are the 122's the same. I cant see any difference in the bullets. They hit hard as hell as well. I tried to test a couple but they completely blew up my gallon jugs and I wasn't able to find the left overs.

Doc. Holiday
11-30-12, 08:55
I've shot a ton of Wolf and I have never gotten those results. It's always stayed intact. Looks like I need to start shooting some Tula here soon.

maddawg5777
12-01-12, 10:46
I've shot a ton of Wolf and I have never gotten those results. It's always stayed intact. Looks like I need to start shooting some Tula here soon.

From what I read wolf military classic 124gr HP used to use the 8m3 bullet. Some where along the line they changed to the non performing HP they use now. I know a lot of people were pissed since wolf made no disclaimer about switching their bullet types.

Lets hope tula continues using the 8m3 for quite awhile.

I'll also note that I could not recover all the fragments as some still penetrated the milk jug. The back spit out water similar to a shower head.

Doc. Holiday
12-03-12, 09:08
Interesting. Thanks for the info.