PDA

View Full Version : Current choice among 20 round magazines?

Moonlight Again
11-06-12, 19:10
Gentlemen:

This may have been covered---my search fu is really very weak.

What are the best twenty round magazines today for the AR?

I am interested in picking up some 20 round magazines to use as dedicated 300 Blackout mags. I've been using black, 2d gen Pmags for both 5.56 and 300 Blackout. Then last weekend I arrived at the range only to realize that the finest 5.56 carbine is mostly worthless when your magazines are full of Blackout ammo. Rather than simply using color variant Pmags, I'd rather switch to a twenty round magazine. This should reduce the chances of confusing the one with the other.

DBR
11-06-12, 19:46
I prefer 20 rd mags. I like the Lancer AWM 20s.

El Cid
11-06-12, 19:51
This is my favorite. Reliable and durable.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-01DSGB.aspx

SPQR476
11-06-12, 19:54
I may or may not have something to add to this thread in about a month. :-)

VIP3R 237
11-06-12, 20:03

May or may not? Haha cant wait!

sammage
11-06-12, 20:07

You may or not be a big tease. ;)

Fairweather8588
11-06-12, 20:09
NHMTG 20 rounders have been flawless for me

Warp
11-06-12, 20:20
The two 20 round mags that came with my Colt 6920 have been perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to get more if I wanted 20 round mags.

samuse
11-06-12, 20:25
I have few Colts that came with 6920s.

They're perfect.

Moonlight Again
11-06-12, 20:46
Thanks, gents.

I just ordered ten of the twenty round Lancer mags from AIM Surplus, $8.95/per.

ricochet
11-06-12, 22:54
This is my favorite. Reliable and durable.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-01DSGB.aspx

Op, I see you ordered the Lancers- they seem to be liked by most. I have a bunch of old Colt and Adventureline that have worked perfectly, for many years (and many rounds). A couple years ago, I bought 12-15 of these DSG 20's, with the slight curve. They also have been flawless so far, but only cycled them 2-3 times.
I wonder why these DSGs are not more popular? I prefer metal mags (not c-p metal), but my 20 p-mags have worked well so far also. Am rambling, looks like O'bummer just won again, Lord help us:eek:

Talic
11-07-12, 00:51
thermold 20 rounders work just fine for me. they're cheap and just work. I just shoot .223/5.56s though.

may want to look into blackout only magazines though, they might be better if you shoot higher grain rounds.

markm
11-07-12, 07:00

These are by far the best. PMAGs have not been problematic for us, but some people have had bolt lock back issues.

Moonlight Again
11-07-12, 07:28
Hey, now that I've got the "NHMTG" tag in my head, it's a lot easier to find their magazines! I have no objection to metal magazines, and will work some of the NHMTG's into the rotation after I get a chance to play with the Lancers. If I'd found NHMTGs for that price, I'd have snapped them up as well.

Thanks again, guys.

markm
11-07-12, 07:38
I wouldn't take Lancers for free. Seen too many mistery malfs with those shits.

Moonlight Again
11-07-12, 07:42
I wouldn't take Lancers for free. Seen too many mistery malfs with those shits.

Just with the twenties, Mark, or with the thirties as well?

markm
11-07-12, 07:47
Just with the twenties, Mark, or with the thirties as well?

Just the thirties... Never seen any twenties... With Pmag and NHMTG, no need to roll the dice on them is all.

Moonlight Again
11-07-12, 07:58
Just the thirties... Never seen any twenties... With Pmag and NHMTG, no need to roll the dice on them is all.

Hey, I'll finally have value then! I can test and submit a data point! I'm a part of the system, I am no longer useless!

My initial thought had been to go with the Pmag twenties but I had read somewhere about problems with them, of some sort, somewhere. I'll just hold off until the potential development that might be on the horizon is announced by Magpul.

markm
11-07-12, 08:09
Hey, I'll finally have value then! I can test and submit a data point! I'm a part of the system, I am no longer useless!

Ha ha... well wear those suckers out and keep us posted on how they do! :p

DBR
11-07-12, 11:09
Moonlight: Did you get the newer Lancer AWM mags or the older L5 mags? The ones I use are the AWM mags. I don't care for the L5 version.

The AWM mags have a one piece "wrap around" steel feed lip design. The L5s have two piece molded in steel feed lips.

I agree the NHMTG 20 rd mags (loaded to 18 rds) are also excellent mags.

Moonlight Again
11-07-12, 11:16
I think they're L5s. Hmm, well, uh, if they're crap . . . I need practice with failure drills anyway.

Dave_M
11-07-12, 14:15
Lancer AWM's and Colt.

Doc. Holiday
11-07-12, 14:19
Pmags and Colt.

cma g21
11-08-12, 07:58
thermold 20 rounders work just fine for me. they're cheap and just work. I just shoot .223/5.56s though.

may want to look into blackout only magazines though, they might be better if you shoot higher grain rounds.

I must have gotten a bad batch of the Thermold 20's. Of the six I bought, none were reliable. Three of them had feed lips so weak they couldn't hold more than 15 to 18 rounds without the rounds popping out of the magazine.

The original Thermold company made some good magazines (IMHO). I'm not so sure about the new company that bought the name and molds.

Besides my bad experience with their 20 round AR magazines, I had feeding issues with two of their HK91 magazines (the only ones I ever tried).

OTOH, their AK magazines seem to work well.

YMMV.

2_wacko
11-09-12, 18:51
I use the Colt 20s that came with my 6920 they have been flawless.

Moonlight Again
11-09-12, 18:54
Wait, what? Colt makes quality? I have never heard that in my life.

(j/k.)

Warp
11-11-12, 20:08
My 6920 had it's first malfunction today (1,600 rounds so far). It was a failure to feed of the 2nd to last round of Federal M193 in a March 2009 production 20 round PMAG.

I haven't used that magazine very much, mostly because of threads like this.

Coincidence? I don't know, but I don't see myself using that magazine again any time soon.

Ready.Fire.Aim
11-11-12, 21:16
For 300 Black I use Brownell's 20 round magazines.
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-20-30-round-magazines-prod21225.aspx?avs|Action%20Type_1=Semi-Auto&avs|Capacity_1=1-Round|20-Round&avs|Cartridge_1=AKK_5xzzx56%20mm%20NATO

Have fun,
RFA

LonghunterCO
11-11-12, 21:48

In for the information!

G19A3
11-20-12, 12:40
I cannot recommend the Lancer 20 round AWM.

I love 20 round mags for their compactness. I love Glocks with plastic frames. I LOVE the idea of translucent mag bodies to monitor rounds left. The Lancer AWM is a plastic, translucent 20 rounder. What’s not to like? I ordered two of them from Brownells to try out.

Because of a bad experience with a couple of similarly designed Ramline 30 round translucent mags, where the mags would water fountain 2 or 3 or more rounds, out of the top of the mag when slapping into the magwell. I was a bit cautious but hopeful 25 or so years have improved translucent AR mag design.

I fully loaded both mags to 20. I “settled the rounds in the mag” in the usual way and sure enough, 1 or 2 rounds would water fountain out of the top of both mags. The AWM’s have wrap around metal feed lips, so I didn’t think that would happen. I “slapped” the mags into several Colt AR’s with bolt carrier locked back, figuring the mag well would “reinforce” the wrap around feed lips to reduce the water fountain effect. Nope….one or two rounds would pop out into the open AR action. I repeated the test numerous times with the same result. YMMV.

I suppose 1 or 2 pop outs per slap are better than 2 or 3 pop outs a generation ago. I suppose they would be great mags if they were loaded gently and NEVER slapped into an bolt-locked-back AR. Without shooting them, I returned the mags to Brownells with a comment on the return receipt. I don’t need to see if they are shooting reliable as I already have reliable USGI mags. I REALLY wanted the translucence feature. I repeated the same test with 20-round and 30-round USGI mags with the same slapping force, if not WAAAY harder, and no rounds popped out.

Furthermore, the 20 round AWM’s are significantly longer than 20 round straight mags. Nevermind the significantly thicker baseplate area verses straight mags. I took photos of this size difference as a reminder.

I believe the dimensional restrictions of the AR mag well prohibits the thickness required to allow a reliable clear plastic mag. (AUGs use MUCH thicker translucent plastic in their mags.) With present technology, clear plastics is < colored plastics < black plastics is the rule. I believe even Magpul recommends their black mags are stronger than their “other colors” mags.

I don't know about your intended 300 Blackout use. YMMV. Good luck, but test those mags if you intend any serious use.

Warp
11-20-12, 15:49
I cannot recommend the Lancer 20 round AWM.

I love 20 round mags for their compactness. I love Glocks with plastic frames. I LOVE the idea of translucent mag bodies to monitor rounds left. The Lancer AWM is a plastic, translucent 20 rounder. What’s not to like? I ordered two of them from Brownells to try out.

Because of a bad experience with a couple of similarly designed Ramline 30 round translucent mags, where the mags would water fountain 2 or 3 or more rounds, out of the top of the mag when slapping into the magwell. I was a bit cautious but hopeful 25 or so years have improved translucent AR mag design.

I fully loaded both mags to 20. I “settled the rounds in the mag” in the usual way and sure enough, 1 or 2 rounds would water fountain out of the top of both mags. The AWM’s have wrap around metal feed lips, so I didn’t think that would happen. I “slapped” the mags into several Colt AR’s with bolt carrier locked back, figuring the mag well would “reinforce” the wrap around feed lips to reduce the water fountain effect. Nope….one or two rounds would pop out into the open AR action. I repeated the test numerous times with the same result. YMMV.

I suppose 1 or 2 pop outs per slap are better than 2 or 3 pop outs a generation ago. I suppose they would be great mags if they were loaded gently and NEVER slapped into an bolt-locked-back AR. Without shooting them, I returned the mags to Brownells with a comment on the return receipt. I don’t need to see if they are shooting reliable as I already have reliable USGI mags. I REALLY wanted the translucence feature. I repeated the same test with 20-round and 30-round USGI mags with the same slapping force, if not WAAAY harder, and no rounds popped out.

Furthermore, the 20 round AWM’s are significantly longer than 20 round straight mags. Nevermind the significantly thicker baseplate area verses straight mags. I took photos of this size difference as a reminder.

I believe the dimensional restrictions of the AR mag well prohibits the thickness required to allow a reliable clear plastic mag. (AUGs use MUCH thicker translucent plastic in their mags.) With present technology, clear plastics is < colored plastics < black plastics is the rule. I believe even Magpul recommends their black mags are stronger than their “other colors” mags.

I don't know about your intended 300 Blackout use. YMMV. Good luck, but test those mags if you intend any serious use.

Short answer is yes, I believe you are correct.

But the 20 round PMAGs are not very reputable, anyway. The 30 rounders are GTG. For 20s...not so much.

scottryan
11-20-12, 18:12
There is no reason to deviate from straight body OEM 20 round aluminum magazines.

brwn bggr
02-23-13, 01:29
Still using " horsey " marked, 20 rounders from early eighty's...original springs and followers...no issues,gtg...! I have p-mag 20's...they do not make me warm and fuzzy...I have on occasion,had double feeds...

FChen17213
02-23-13, 01:54
The Colts are great. Old school USGI 20 rounders made by different manufacturers are also fine I think.

Deputyrpa
02-23-13, 03:21
I prefer the pre-bans.....cuz I had to. I spent some significant $$ buying old Colts. I managed to get some NIP, which are still in the plastic and paper. All of them have been flawless. As for their future, I decline to comment. ;)

eodinert
02-23-13, 05:54
There is no reason to deviate from straight body OEM 20 round aluminum magazines.

Sure there is... progress involves change. You'll never know if you don't try.

Even if there isn't a good 20 out there now (which I don't believe), we'd all be shooting skinny barrels and triangular handguards if everyone had that attitude.

samuse
02-23-13, 07:09
Sure there is... progress involves change. You'll never know if you don't try.

Even if there isn't a good 20 out there now (which I don't believe), we'd all be shooting skinny barrels and triangular handguards if everyone had that attitude.

Hahaha.

We're slowly but surely gettin' back to it.;)

mattg1024
02-23-13, 07:50
Never used anything but Pmags. Never had an issue so why change. I use different colors and windowed/ non-windowed to differentiate.

You could also just write 300BLK on a few mags so you know, cheapest route if you already have a bunch of mags.

Allison01
02-23-13, 07:54
Magpul for me, 20s or 30s.

RHINOWSO
02-23-13, 09:07
I like mine too and also have some 20rd PMAGs that work great.

Warp
02-23-13, 10:12
For 20 round magazines NHMTG/Colt mags are the way to go.

Even Magpul won't argue with you when you point out that the Gen2 20 round PMAGs don't have the greatest track record with everybody.

AND you can get $20 NHMTG 20's right now.

Yes, they are in stock.

http://www.buffertech.com/M16-20-round-magazines-new-P151.aspx

AFshirt
02-23-13, 18:10
Just bought two.

David55Indiana
02-23-13, 18:29
Just ordered three.

foxtrotx1
02-23-13, 20:17

Those mags are pretty friggn reliable. Don't even need an anti-tilt follower.

kcara
02-23-13, 21:14
Usgi /colt and magpul are the best I have used.

markm
02-25-13, 07:09

I grabbed two of those a week ago... I'd forgotten about Buffertech, It'd been so long.

Retiredbroke
02-25-13, 22:06
I have been hoarding the Colt 20's for a long time, my personal favorite.

D. Manley
02-25-13, 22:14
I have been hoarding the Colt 20's for a long time, my personal favorite.

This. I do intend to score 1 or 2 of the new Magpul 10 rounders when they finally hit for bench use though.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

rojocorsa
02-25-13, 22:39

I saw your company's post on FB last December.

Because I am in CA, I look forward to the 10 rounders. (Which are actually nice for mere target shooting too).

rojocorsa
02-25-13, 22:43
Those mags are pretty friggn reliable. Don't even need an anti-tilt follower.

You don't?!?!

How come?

Warp
02-25-13, 22:51
You don't

How come?

20 round NHMTG mags absolutely do not need, nor want, an anti tilt follower

Kokopelli
02-25-13, 22:51
Colt 20's and PMAG 20's

rojocorsa
02-25-13, 23:17
20 round NHMTG mags absolutely do not need, nor want, an anti tilt follower

Alrighty.

I guess this is why people have always liked the Colt 20 rounders since day one....

Learn something new every day.

kcara
02-26-13, 06:12
Colt mags or pmags are my favorite 20 round mags.

FamilyMan
02-26-13, 09:02
NHMTG/Colt (same thing) 20 rounders have never let me down.

HelloLarry
02-26-13, 09:02
I've had problems with bolt over rides on 20 rnd Pmags.

Allison01
02-27-13, 12:55

Even Magpul won't argue with you when you point out that the Gen2 20 round PMAGs don't have the greatest track record with everybody.

Yes, they are in stock.

Good info. thanks

markm
02-27-13, 13:04
I'm getting some of Brownells 20s next week. If I remember to I'll post any impressions here.

Their USGI 30s have been good. I'm eager to run their 20s.

M4C
02-27-13, 17:43
You don't?!?!

How come?

The anti-tilt is only needed for the curved bodies of the 30 round mags. The straight body of the 20, with its shorter stack of rounds, has always done fine with regular followers.

Doc Safari
02-27-13, 17:49
I'm getting some of Brownells 20s next week. If I remember to I'll post any impressions here.

Their USGI 30s have been good. I'm eager to run their 20s.

I've got 5 FDE Brownells mags that are part of my everyday kit. They have worked just fine.

markm
02-27-13, 20:36
I've got 5 FDE Brownells mags that are part of my everyday kit. They have worked just fine.

Nice... I'd love some of those. I got the FDE 30 that have run like a champ. I had one that had a funky body... real wide at the bottom.. but it ran fine.