PDA

View Full Version : Quick advise, trade for a Glock?

southernZ
11-07-12, 10:29
I have a XDM 3.8 9mm with about 800 rounds down the pipe. It has been 100% reliable. However I am not satisfied with the accuracy (terrible). I have a guy that wants to trade me a low round count G26 gen 4 that is in like new condition. My father is a LEO and he swears by his G22, I have shot his weapon multiple times and I shoot it very well. I have heard of some extraction issues with the Gen 4's. That is the only thing that scares me. On the other end of the spectrum i have also heard of issues with the XD's. It seems that The G26 will be easier to carry (I have a CC permit). Just want some opinions/input from those who have a G26 Gen 4.

Thanks,
Stephen

M4arc
11-07-12, 10:31
That one would be a no brainer for me. YES!

But I'm slightly biased when it comes to Glocks ;)

Littlelebowski
11-07-12, 10:33
The Gen4 26 is essentially the Gen3 26 with a smaller grip since it already had the dual RSA (Recoil Spring Adaptor). Buy in confidence.

skew12
11-07-12, 10:40
i'd go for it.

ST911
11-07-12, 10:48
I have a XDM 3.8 9mm with about 800 rounds down the pipe. It has been 100% reliable. However I am not satisfied with the accuracy (terrible). I have a guy that wants to trade me a low round count G26 gen 4 that is in like new condition. My father is a LEO and he swears by his G22, I have shot his weapon multiple times and I shoot it very well. I have heard of some extraction issues with the Gen 4's. That is the only thing that scares me. On the other end of the spectrum i have also heard of issues with the XD's. It seems that The G26 will be easier to carry (I have a CC permit). Just want some opinions/input from those who have a G26 Gen 4.

Thanks,
Stephen

Trade quickly, before they realize what they are doing. Anytime you can be relieved of an XD, do so.

sammage
11-07-12, 10:50
Do it now and don't look back.

SeriousStudent
11-07-12, 12:01
Another plus for the G26: Many shooters, myself included, report suprisingly good accuracy with them. I don't have a good explanation for it, but my G26 shoots much better than one of my G19's. If you use the orange search button doodad, I think there was a thread on it a while back.

That's another reason it's my favorite pocket pistol.

And be a nice fellow and at least buy the guy a beer he can cry into, after he finds out he's been robbed. :D

southernZ
11-07-12, 12:08
Thanks for all the replies guys..... It is actually a G27 still a Gen 4 ( I got a little mixed up). He said it also had night sights. We are meeting tonight when he gets off of work. So ill be going from my 9mm to a SC .40. How controllable are these for a female with smaller hands? She shot my fathers .40 pretty well, but its a full size gen 3. Im getting it regardless, she'll just have to practice...lol

M4arc
11-07-12, 12:16
Thanks for all the replies guys..... it is actually a G27 still a Gen 4. We are meeting tonight when he gets off of work.

If it shoots half as good as my Gen4 G22 you will love it! If not, sell it to me :D

Vash1023
11-07-12, 12:59
do it...do it nowwwww

DocH
11-07-12, 13:09
To be perfectly honest I shoot my G26 as well as my 17's and 19's. With an OEM 7151 plus extender,13 rounds in a super portable package with unquestioned reliability for 13 years. GET IT!

okie john
11-07-12, 15:30
I'd trade an XD for a subcompact Glock in a heartbeat.

I shoot the full-sized and compact models better than the subcompacts, but it's never hard to trade a G27 for another Glock with a different frame size or caliber.

Okie John

Nephrology
11-07-12, 16:06
Another plus for the G26: Many shooters, myself included, report suprisingly good accuracy with them. I don't have a good explanation for it, but my G26 shoots much better than one of my G19's. If you use the orange search button doodad, I think there was a thread on it a while back.

And be a nice fellow and at least buy the guy a beer he can cry into, after he finds out he's been robbed. :D

I also find I do some of my best low-probability shooting with my G26. Again I think you're getting the right deal, the Glock 26 is a highly underrated pistol. I love em.

m4brian
11-07-12, 17:35
I own a G19 Gen 4 and a XD 45C.

Trade fot the Glock - if it does BTF, go with Apex.

ALSO: Report back with how you are able to shoot the G26 vice the XD.

bc361
11-07-12, 18:00
Trade with confidence. G26 are remarkably easy shooting guns for their size.

PrivateCitizen
11-07-12, 18:02
Trade and RUN!!

southernZ
11-07-12, 18:10
The only thing I see that would be a con to this deal is the price increase for ammo jumping to a .40 cal. That was one thing I liked about the 9mm. But i can deal with that! I will just have to shop around a little more thoroughly. I will be meeting the guy tomorrow.

Bro KV
11-07-12, 20:08
Take the Glock

Vegasshooter
11-07-12, 21:08
Here's another thought bud. If you get it and decide for whatever reason that you don't like the .40, you will be able to trade the 27 off for a 26 pretty easily. You may love the .40, and carry/shoot it well. If however you don't, it's fantastic trading stock. Good luck.

interfan
11-08-12, 00:45
The only thing I see that would be a con to this deal is the price increase for ammo jumping to a .40 cal. That was one thing I liked about the 9mm. But i can deal with that! I will just have to shop around a little more thoroughly. I will be meeting the guy tomorrow.

For practice ammo, it is nearly the same. For duty or carry ammo, the price is also nearly the same. I was at a Walmart tonight and the cost for a Federal Champion (cheap stuff, but better than some other cheap stuff) 100 pack of 9mm was $19.99, The same thing in .40 was $22.99, so $0.02 more per round. Granted, money isn't exactly easy to come by these days, but it is a small amount or a small incentive to make the most out of training time.

I'll join the rest in saying do the trade.

ST911
11-08-12, 08:27
I am less enthusiastic about a trade for a G27 instead of a G26 (see previous 9mm/.40 threads), but any trade in which you gain a Glock and lose an XD is still good.

PA PATRIOT
11-08-12, 08:55
I would say Pass,

Been shooting all models of Glocks for the past 23 years for duty and competition and have found that the little G-27 was the hardest to control during drills. It appeared that anyone who shot my G-27 had commented how slow it was to bring back on target, muzzle blast and flip.

If the deal was for a G-26 I would say to jump on it but I would personally pass on the G-27 especially if you never shot a compact .40 in the past.

clarkz71
11-08-12, 09:52
22 for, only 1 against. Get the G27

southernZ
11-08-12, 11:32
Well its a done deal. The G27 seems like a nice little pistol. I won't be able to shoot it for another 10 days though as I just came offshore. Is there any grip extensions for a longer magazine for these? And I can already tell I like not having a grip safety just the way it felt in my hands.

ST911
11-09-12, 23:55
Well its a done deal. The G27 seems like a nice little pistol. I won't be able to shoot it for another 10 days though as I just came offshore. Is there any grip extensions for a longer magazine for these? And I can already tell I like not having a grip safety just the way it felt in my hands.

I run the 9rd mags with longer mags as reloads only. If you want more grip, use the OEM mag with the OEM (+) base plate.

Use OEM for important purposes.

Your G27 should also be reliable with G22 and G23 magazines, as well as the 22rd .40 Auto mag.

chuckman
11-10-12, 07:13
Yes. Good trade.

Sikiguya
11-10-12, 11:48
Trade it. Really...just do it. Worst case, you will try to trade the 27 for a 26...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whick1
11-11-12, 04:13
I used to backup carry a G27 to my issued Glock 22 and seemed to have some failures when using Glock 22 mags thru the 27. Not sure why it did this but never felt confident using the longer mags after that. THe 27 is a great gun and I shoot it better than my 22 as others have stated. I would look at possibly getting a pearce +0 grip extender which made it possible for me to get my pinky on the gun. I think you made a great trade.

Sikiguya
11-11-12, 08:06
I pit the Glock OEM plus two on my 26. Yes, it is a touch bigger but i like how it feels in my hand. I think x grips make spacers for the larger mag. I did buy a 33rd mag for fun and giggles during a civic riot or zombie attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernZ
11-11-12, 08:25
I used to backup carry a G27 to my issued Glock 22 and seemed to have some failures when using Glock 22 mags thru the 27. Not sure why it did this but never felt confident using the longer mags after that. THe 27 is a great gun and I shoot it better than my 22 as others have stated. I would look at possibly getting a pearce +0 grip extender which made it possible for me to get my pinky on the gun. I think you made a great trade.

This is pretty much all I am looking for. Something that will allow me to put my pinky on the grip.

southernZ
11-17-12, 18:14
Well I just shot a few rounds through it. So far itsca night and day difference between the G27 and my old XDM. The trigger on the Glock seems way better. And when I used the sights, the bullets actually went were I aimed with the Glock..... so far I am very pleased with the trade.

S. Galbraith
11-17-12, 20:19
You came out on top, the other guy got screwed.

KrampusArms
11-17-12, 20:36
Well I just shot a few rounds through it. So far itsca night and day difference between the G27 and my old XDM. The trigger on the Glock seems way better. And when I used the sights, the bullets actually went were I aimed with the Glock..... so far I am very pleased with the trade.

Good job OP. Don't have regrets, you did the right thing. (Except you screwed the other guy over)

I watched a detail strip video on an XD, those things have way too many parts, they're a mess. I don't doubt they're a nice firearm, but the Glock is superior. Lower bore axis too.

southernZ
11-18-12, 07:49
Anyone have any good suggestions for a comfortable IWB holster?

edgecrusher
11-18-12, 08:09
Mernickle holsters are very good, have one for my Glock 21's and Glock 30 carry gun. The other holster I used for my 30 is the Blackhawk leather iwb, but the Mernickle leather is way nicer imho

A62Rambler
11-18-12, 11:23

I carried a G19 for over 3 years in LE and hated it. I was and am the oddball on Glocks. I don't like 40 s&w but even I think you made a good trade and will be very happy! I think if you use G23 mags you won't find a need for any grip extension. Shoot the heck out of it before you decide to add or change anything. You may love it as is.:D

topslop1
11-19-12, 16:11
+1 go for it. Glocks have never let me down. I do shoot an HK now but I would not not trust my life to a Glock.

Ballistic Agency
11-22-12, 18:24
Get the 27 and trade it for a 26 or 19.

Salamander
11-30-12, 21:32

Yes, my G26 gen 3 is surprisingly accurate, out to 15 yards I have no difficulty hitting what I aim at. Beyond that the limitation is probably me, not the gun. It's also very easy to carry, and simple to work on.

If not for the BTF issue, it would still be my every day carry... still waiting to see if that can be resolved.

Littlelebowski
11-30-12, 21:35
Do it. I traded for my glock 21 45 ca l i ber.Great p i stol.I personally
think that the 45 cali ber glocks are the best.

Reading is fundamental.

brushy bill
11-30-12, 23:40
Do it. I traded for my glock 21 45 ca l i ber.Great p i stol.I personally
think that the 45 cali ber glocks are the best.

Broken and distorted. Relocate and retransmit.

wl518
12-04-12, 15:28
Whatever you do it'll be better off than where you started (with the XD):sarcastic: