PDA

View Full Version : In other election news, Puerto Rico voted with the majority wanting statehood

chadbag
11-07-12, 12:31
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22827318&nid=757

--

Straight Shooter
11-07-12, 13:03
ANOTHER ****in useless welfare state.
YEP...thats EXACTLY what else we need now.

jwfuhrman
11-07-12, 13:08
I say welcome.

crusader377
11-07-12, 13:38
Great. If Puerto Rico is allowed to be the 51st state they would get 7 electoral votes which will always go Democratic:(.

Moving forward that would mean that Republicans would have to always another state besides OH and FL to win the Presidency.

nineteenkilo
11-07-12, 13:42
I don't know about PR as a whole, but every Puerto Rican I served with in the Army (and there's a lot of em btw) was hard working and very conservative. I don't necessarily think their entrance would be a liability, but I don't have a ton of facts other than personal observation.

chadbag
11-07-12, 14:22
Their outgoing pro-statehood governor was mentioned to be a Republican. Whatever that means.

I know the Puerto Ricans (from Puerto Rico) that were on my floor of the dorm back in the day were good guys and made fun of the Puerto Ricans from NYC and Mass and other enclaves; who had left Puerto Rico. Basically a "good riddance" type of gesture from them.

Don't know how PR stands now.

==

chadbag
11-07-12, 14:24
If they let in PR, who else are they going to let in? Can't have a flag with 51 stars. They would need 52 or something (4x6 and 4x7 rows)

Maybe California can break up into the coast and the rest.

---

Honu
and Spanish will be mandatory in schools etc.. and become the official second language

its pretty much that way now ? but will be for sure then !

brickboy240
Yes, what Luis Fortuno did for PR should be a model for America.

Do some research on where that guy took PR....tell me that is not exactly what we need right here.

-brickboy240

TehLlama
11-07-12, 14:55
I don't know about PR as a whole, but every Puerto Rican I served with in the Army (and there's a lot of em btw) was hard working and very conservative. I don't necessarily think their entrance would be a liability, but I don't have a ton of facts other than personal observation.

Same here - but in the same way that every New Yorker, Californian, and the ones that hail from Maine and New Jersey are also hard working conservative examples of what it is to be a great human being - still can't rectify the electoral demographics of a place.

chadbag
11-07-12, 14:57
Same here - but in the same way that every New Yorker, Californian, and the ones that hail from Maine and New Jersey are also hard working conservative examples of what it is to be a great human being - still can't rectify the electoral demographics of a place.

What would that be, in regards to PR? I seriously don't know how they have governed themselves.

They do have a rep in the HoR in DC, though non-voting for the most part (I guess they some sort of limited power). Does anyone have any info on that rep?

--

Redmanfms
11-07-12, 17:42
What would that be, in regards to PR? I seriously don't know how they have governed themselves.

They do have a rep in the HoR in DC, though non-voting for the most part (I guess they some sort of limited power). Does anyone have any info on that rep?

--

It's hard to "pulse" Puerto Rican politics because they are very much like other Latin American states in that their political "parties" are actually coalitions that have formed more or less around one central issue. The three parties are all dealing with the relationship PR has to the U.S. with each taking a different stance. The Popular Democratic Party is pro-Commonwealth (IOW, status quo), the New Progressive Party is pro-statehood, and the Puerto Rican Independence Party is (obviously) pro-independence and have never had much traction. There isn't really a "right" or "left" wing in Puerto Rican politics as much as there is a pro-statehood and pro-Commonwealth. Though the PNP is generally "center-right" and the PDP is seen as "center-left."

It's worth noting that the guy who won the governorship this year is a Democrat and that the guy he replaced was the first Republican (or recognizable as a conservative) governor in 32 years.

Based on what I've seen of Puerto Rico, I expect that were it to become a state it would add to the "free shit army." And in total honesty, because they are essentially what one would expect of a Latin American banana republic (think corruption and crime) I think it would be in our best interests to just cut them loose and offer relocation to those Puerto Ricans who wish to remain Americans.