PDA

View Full Version : surefire 6p or similar on an AR... recoil resistance?

skyugo
02-13-08, 17:41
this might be a non issue on a 5.56 firearm. but i'm not sure, so i'm asking.

my original idea was to put a surefire scout on my AR, but 300 bucks is a lot of cash.

a 6P or G2 or something like that is much more affordable. will they hold up ok? how about on a shotgun? is there an upgrade?

also, i think i want a remote switch, but it seems like a liability as far as durability goes. my gun has stock handguards and i'd like to keep it that way. what's my best mounting option?

basically looking for a bright reliable home defense/SHTF type light.

sff70
02-13-08, 18:19
A G2 will be just fine for your purpose.

I've run the following on AR15s w/o any problems whatsoever:

6P (10+ yrs)
E2D
G2

None of the above had a Z32 bezel until the past year.

I am now in process of upgrading my rifle lights to high-intensity bulbs and Z32 bezels, for that extra measure of murphy protection.

My shotgun has a 6P with a Z32 bezel, which I feel is a must have due to the extra recoil that 12 ga produces.

C4IGrant
02-13-08, 18:24
this might be a non issue on a 5.56 firearm. but i'm not sure, so i'm asking.

my original idea was to put a surefire scout on my AR, but 300 bucks is a lot of cash.

a 6P or G2 or something like that is much more affordable. will they hold up ok? how about on a shotgun? is there an upgrade?

also, i think i want a remote switch, but it seems like a liability as far as durability goes. my gun has stock handguards and i'd like to keep it that way. what's my best mounting option?

basically looking for a bright reliable home defense/SHTF type light.

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to put a shock isolated head on any light that is going to be on a weapon (or use an LED).

We build our own custom SF Scout lights and they are in the mid $200's.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M600L%20side%20view1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M600L%20rear%20view.jpg

skyugo
02-13-08, 19:45
ok cool. so the Z32 bezel will provide complete peace of mind.

i was actually thinking 6P LED. so that is already pretty bombproof.
how about the how about the E2L? 2 settings of brightness.

i'm hoping to get somethign that's useful on and off the gun. i carry an Arc AAA (arcflashlight.com) for EDC. that covers about 90% of my flashlgiht uses. i need something real bright occasionaly though.

last thing-with no remote switch, front sight rail, left side mount. hit it with left thumb. dumb idea? good idea?

this is goin on a 16" middy.

sff70
02-13-08, 21:14
LED's are shockproof, so no Z32 needed.

"last thing-with no remote switch, front sight rail, left side mount. hit it with left thumb. dumb idea? good idea? "

Yes, this is a very popular way to go. It's simple, and it works.

Contact Grant (C4IGRANT) at www.gandrtactical.com He carries a large number of Surefire lights, bulbs, mounts, switches, etc. and as Grant posted, they can build you something that will work good, have lots of lumens, and be cost-effective.

A 6 volt light (6P, G2) can get you by, but brighter doesn't hurt, especially if you have to use it outside.

PALADIN-hgwt
02-13-08, 23:15
xxxxx

sff70
02-14-08, 01:09
"How about a Z32 bezel and WG9D body? Use a P90 for 105 lumens for 60 minutes, or P91 for 200 lumens for 20 minutes. The 80 lumen P60L led replacement also fits, and later this year Surefire is releasing a 200 lumen P61L which will be really sweet. If you use one of the led options the Z32 is not needed and a standard bezel will allow better heat transfer, as well as being "antiroll" when dismounted."

Very nice.

Yet another way to go if you look at the G&R website: A G3 with a Z32, and a Lumens Factory HO9 bulb, should be 320 retina-melting lumens for 40 minutes. Total is about $90.

I have this on order to replace the Gladius I'm currently using on my primary AR15. It's a good light, but I need more lumens for outdoor work.

Of course, 320 lumens is an easy way to blind oneself during indoor work, even if most interior walls were not light colored.

Previously, I ran a M900 with the high intensity bulb (225 lumens), but it was heavy and bulky, and too easy to cause white light NDs. The "scout" type setups with a clickie tailcap switch are a better way to go, in my opinion.

I really, really liked the LED nav lights of the M900, so after I got rid of it, I used 100 mph tape to attach one of those red LED microlights to the handguards at 6 o'clock. Works good.

sonrider657
02-14-08, 08:41
I recommend a G2L in an Elzetta (http://www.Elzetta.com) mount. The LED will never break from recoil and the Elzetta mount does not require rails for mounting and puts the flashlight's tailcap switch in a perfect location to activate it with the sling swivel (and you can still easily rotate the tailcap for constant-on).

Here is a photo of one of my rifles set up with a LaserMax Uni on the optional Elzetta pic rail (the flashlight in the photo is a Goncz M2 but a G2L would mount the same way).

http://www.christiancarnivore.com/UniMax.jpg

C4IGrant
02-14-08, 09:45
ok cool. so the Z32 bezel will provide complete peace of mind.

i was actually thinking 6P LED. so that is already pretty bombproof.
how about the how about the E2L? 2 settings of brightness.

i'm hoping to get somethign that's useful on and off the gun. i carry an Arc AAA (arcflashlight.com) for EDC. that covers about 90% of my flashlgiht uses. i need something real bright occasionaly though.

last thing-with no remote switch, front sight rail, left side mount. hit it with left thumb. dumb idea? good idea?

this is goin on a 16" middy.

6PL or G2L is a good choice. THe E2L is not.

C4

ST911
02-14-08, 12:39
I have 6Ps and G2s on my own and some agency guns, various mounts. No need for the SIB manifested yet (on carbines.)

Hedging the bet does no harm, though.

Failure2Stop
02-14-08, 14:08
I prefer shock-isolated lights, helps for times that the gun gets dropped, whacked, kicked, and generally abused.

Safe-queens do not have the same worries :p .
j/k

RD62
02-14-08, 16:36
How does the P60L bulb run in the 9v body? Same output and run time? Same output and longer runtime? Looking to pick up a p60L bulb if I can ever find one in stock for one of my existing G2's and wondered how it would run if I added my 9v conversion.

-RD62

C4IGrant
02-14-08, 17:29
How does the P60L bulb run in the 9v body? Same output and run time? Same output and longer runtime? Looking to pick up a p60L bulb if I can ever find one in stock for one of my existing G2's and wondered how it would run if I added my 9v conversion.

-RD62

Hour plus run time is added with the 9V.

C4

RD62
02-14-08, 19:17
Hour plus run time is added with the 9V.

C4

Any idea how much additional runtime? I saw on the Surefire website that the G2L is rated at 12hrs @ 80lumens and the G3L at 9.5hrs @ 80lumens, but this didn't seem right. Less runtime with an additional battery. Also the G2L I saw had a metal bezel as opposed to the Nitrolon bezel. Is this for better heat dissapation? Any problems with a standard bezel?

-RD62

Haji
02-14-08, 20:36
Because Surefire likes to complicate things, here's another option: the new-for-'08 E2D LED is about a hundred lumens, instead of the 60 for the E2D...like the one I lost in Vegas during the weekend I found out about the E2D LED.:mad:

PALADIN-hgwt
02-14-08, 20:45
xxxxx

MX5
02-15-08, 08:56
LEDs shouldn't be a problem. If you like incandescent light, & some do, then stick with 6v lights or get a shock isolated bezel. G2s & 6Ps hold up very well to the 5.56mm recoil impulse of an AR platform weapon. 9v incandescent lights fail miserably due to the extra momentum of the 3 batteries. Shock isolated bezels solve this for 9v & provide added insurance for the 6v variety. Consider your needs & usage. 6v incandescent serves many people very well. It's amazing how much use & abuse they can withstand without problems. 9v is another story altogether.

cland72
02-15-09, 23:53
I have a 6P that is bone stock, and bought one of these from Deal Extreme and replaced the stock bulb assembly. The throw on this LED is crazy, and blows the stock P60 out of the water.

I've used this light on the gun for easily 1,000 rounds and it hasn't failed me.

Give it a shot -- for $10 shipped what do you have to lose? Put that baby in a Larue mount or regular 1" scope ring and you're set.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Oh, it is also much brighter than the P60L. I bought one of those this weekend and it's been relegated to handheld use -- Not enough light for a weaponlight unless all your stuff is CQB IMO.

Rinspeed
02-16-09, 06:50
I have 400 rounds through my AR with a 6P mounted on it, no problems yet. I will probably switch to a LED lamp soon because of the longer run time.

Vic303
02-16-09, 09:26
I have a 6P that is bone stock, and bought one of these from Deal Extreme and replaced the stock bulb assembly. The throw on this LED is crazy, and blows the stock P60 out of the water.

I've used this light on the gun for easily 1,000 rounds and it hasn't failed me.

Give it a shot -- for $10 shipped what do you have to lose? Put that baby in a Larue mount or regular 1" scope ring and you're set.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Oh, it is also much brighter than the P60L. I bought one of those this weekend and it's been relegated to handheld use -- Not enough light for a weaponlight unless all your stuff is CQB IMO.

Then you are most fortunate! I had the same set up on my 870 and it survived a whopping 6 rounds of #8 shot before the LED drop in failed.:mad:

Thomas M-4
08-24-09, 11:03
Generally speaking, it is a good idea to put a shock isolated head on any light that is going to be on a weapon (or use an LED).

We build our own custom SF Scout lights and they are in the mid $200's.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M600L%20side%20view1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/M600L%20rear%20view.jpg

Grant does your custom SF Scout light fit in a Vltor off set mount?

C4IGrant
08-24-09, 11:21
Grant does your custom SF Scout light fit in a Vltor off set mount?

No as the VLTOR offset is for 1" in diameter flashlights.

The Scout mount has mounting ridges on it anyway so you wouldn't want to use it.

C4

Thomas M-4
08-24-09, 11:24
No as the VLTOR offset is for 1" in diameter flashlights.

The Scout mount has mounting ridges on it anyway so you wouldn't want to use it.

C4

Thanks for the info Grant.