PDA

View Full Version : Huffington Post interview - Libertarian BofR and 2A thoughts from a Metal frontman

Waylander
11-07-12, 16:59
This guy is the frontman for a fairly popular metal band in Massachusetts...he's a little full of himself but defends his positions on 2A surprisingly well to be put on the spot. He's caught a lot of shit from the music community for obvious reasons. It's kind of like Hollywood...you know they're mostly liberal so when one comes out saying things like this it's pretty cool.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/election-day-yin--yang-ch_b_2080842.html

again, the Bill of Rights is a list of, "No"s. And the "No"s are saying what the federal government cannot do. Your perspective is twisting around what the Bill of Rights is. The Bill of Rights is not an empowerment of the federal government.

The Bill of Rights protects inherent freedoms, like things that exist that you are free to do and freedoms that exist without the federal government. It protects people. It doesn't empower the government. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I would submit that your perspective seems to be that the government has powers that it doesn't have. The discussion that we've had so far leads me to believe that the government should be and is in control, and my perspective that our founding documents are that the government is not in control and that the government has usurped powers that it was never delegated.

When the Bill of Rights was written--and I think you're referring to the second amendment, when the Bill of Rights was written--the founders had no idea how powerful the weapons that were going to come in the future were, and so shouldn't we look at the second amendment and say, "Well, the founders wouldn't have said that the population should have weapons of this power." Is that kind of where you're going?

--------------------

The founders knew and absolutely advocated merchants that had cannons on their ships that were defending America. The colonies. We didn't have a navy to fight the British navy when the revolution happened...
People that are anti-second amendment, they think things like, "Oh, well, they didn't have guns that are as powerful as we have nowadays," and I would submit that a cannon, which they had during the revolution--privately owned--are far more powerful than an AR-15 or an AK-47. If you had a cannon and you rolled up a wagon outside of someone's house that you didn't like, and shot a ball into their house, it would blow their house up. The argument of, "Hey, when the founders wrote the second amendment, they didn't have weapons as powerful as we do," is kind of a non-argument. It's kind of not accurate. It's just bulls**t, I guess.

He also wrote an Op-Ed piece that appeared in Alternative Press right after the Colorado shooting.

Phil Labonte of All That Remains on the Second Amendment and our right to bear arms
http://www.altpress.com/contributors/entry/phil_labonte_of_all_that_remains_on_the_second_amendment_and_our_right_to_b

While popular opinion is that these horrible acts are a uniquely American problem due to the liberal gun laws we have, I submit that it is a problem worldwide. July 22 was the one-year anniversary of the massacre in Norway—a country with very strict gun control laws—perpetrated by Anders Breivik where 77 people (mostly children) lost their lives. In June, there was a shooting in a Toronto mall where one man was killed and seven others injured. Again, a country with strict gun regulation. There was also the March 11, 2009, shooting at the Winnenden School in Winnenden, Germany, leaving 16 dead and 11 injured. Germany also has strict gun regulation. There are violent and mentally damaged people all over the world. If they are looking to harm innocents, they are going to do it, regardless of law.

theblackknight
11-07-12, 18:31
Yeah, Phil is a good dude. They came to base(Lejeune) last week on the first stop of the new tour to do a meet and greet at the PX. He's been on 3 Gun Nation a couple times. I've seen them twice before that in concert. One of my favorites. Phil is recently digging some 300 blackout uppers. Most promo shots you'll seen him now are in a different magpul tshirt.

http://www.magpul.com/assets/images/blogImages/Phil%20Labonte/Labonte_1.jpg

http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Phil-Labonte.jpg

theblackknight
11-07-12, 18:33
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/08/muhe7eju.jpgFrom fone

sent from mah gun,using my sights

chadbag
11-07-12, 19:25
Coolness!

Looks like a straightened out dude!

--

Littlelebowski
What's a good sample song of his band's?

Waylander
I'd seen the CNN video but didn't know he was active in matches. Cool you got to meet the band...he seems like a down to Earth guy.
They're playing in ATL with Machine Head next month so I'm hoping I can make it.

theblackknight
11-07-12, 19:41
What's a good sample song of his band's?

"This Calling". They run the limits of metalcore, cause most their songs have a singable choruses, but the verses will bring the hate and even sometimes get into black metal ish vocals,which I can only take in bite size bits, which they do. Rock radio has actually been spinning the new single in normal rotation. Hell, he said on FB the new album even has a ballad on it:eek:. I need to pic it up.

Phil was a Marine back in 94ish,but he will never tell you:D

duece71
11-07-12, 19:55
"Stand up" seems like an anthem this country needs, (ok maybe a little late but still). I am glad to hear this guy be so outspoken. It looks like the front cover of the album "A war you cannot win" has 2 crossed AR-15s with Magpul furniture and a suppressor on each rifle.

chadbag
11-07-12, 20:01
"Stand up" seems like an anthem this country needs, (ok maybe a little late but still). I am glad to hear this guy be so outspoken. It looks like the front cover of the album "A war you cannot win" has 2 crossed AR-15s with Magpul furniture and a suppressor on each rifle.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-war-you-cannot-win/id572077597

if you want to see the album and sample their stuff... (links to their other albums are on that link as well)

---

Waylander
11-07-12, 20:23
"Stand up" seems like an anthem this country needs, (ok maybe a little late but still). I am glad to hear this guy be so outspoken. It looks like the front cover of the album "A war you cannot win" has 2 crossed AR-15s with Magpul furniture and a suppressor.

I was just about to post that song. Their first song AFAIK to be sung in all clean vocals so it would be a good starter. The album was released yesterday. Down Through The Ages is a bad ass song but has hardcore and cleans.

The album before last...Overcome...had some more radio friendly songs like Two Weeks.

Waylander
11-07-12, 20:32
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-war-you-cannot-win/id572077597

if you want to see the album and sample their stuff... (links to their other albums are on that link as well)

---

I think they have the full version of Stand Up on their official YouTube and had, maybe still have a free download for Down Through The Ages on their website.

theblackknight
11-07-12, 20:39
They should be releasing the vid for stand up, which has the band being chased by crazy tac-ed out mulisha crazies. Should be good.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Waylander
11-22-12, 17:33
The video for "Stand Up" was just posted.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/all-that-remains/stand-up/USRZR1231818

DrMark
11-22-12, 20:54
Good stuff.

HES
11-23-12, 22:56
Thanks for bringing this guy and his band to my attention. Not that bad.

feedramp
11-23-12, 23:36
I went ahead and read the whole interview -- really good stuff. Thanks.

AKDoug
11-24-12, 02:22
Noveske has a picture of him wearing one their shirts in concert on their FB page. My kids liked the band before they ever knew his politics. Not they love them even more.

Massachusetts has another musician that "gets it" from a band even bigger than All that Remains. Aaron Lewis, lead singer from Staind is a big 2nd Amendment supporter with a Libertarian bent. He's recently branched into more country type music.