PDA

View Full Version : Handgun for the wife

Jimmyjon
11-07-12, 18:51
Need some suggestions for a hand gun for the wife. It will be her first, but heres the catch she wants a pink camo one.... I know... But when the wife finally comes around to wanting a gun for her self you gotta do what you gotta do right. If I got to buy a pink camo gun to get her in to shooting then I guess thats what I do. was thinking like a .38 or something but open to suggestions.

WC 2-3
11-07-12, 18:55
Something that she feels comfortable to her. Good luck finding a pink one though.

halo2304
11-07-12, 19:04
Not many companies offer something off the shelf as she wants. Duracoat, ceracoat...krylon will all change black to some other color. If it's got to be done, I'd get it done professionally.

What is the gun going to be used for? Has she ever fired a gun before. If not, I'd highly suggest a .22lr so she can get use to shooting and come to like it rather than starting her on something like a .44 magnum or the like.

Smash
11-07-12, 19:05
Just get her a Glock 19 and have a decent Cerakote shop make it look how she wants.

Jimmyjon
11-07-12, 19:08
Not many companies offer something off the shelf as she wants. Duracoat, ceracoat...krylon will all change black to some other color. If it's got to be done, I'd get it done professionally.

What is the gun going to be used for? Has she ever fired a gun before. If not, I'd highly suggest a .22lr so she can get use to shooting and come to like it rather than starting her on something like a .44 magnum or the like.

Shes never shot a pistol just my various rifles of mine. She is dead set on the pink being on it I have seen some walther 22's that were on gun broker round $300. It will just be a plinking gun most likely.

halo2304
11-07-12, 19:09
Just get her a Glock 19 and have a decent Cerakote shop make it look how she wants.

Normally this is a good suggestion but, she may have small hands and not be able to reach the trigger. She also may not be able to rack the slide.

halo2304
11-07-12, 19:12
Shes never shot a pistol just my various rifles of mine. She is dead set on the pink being on it I have seen some walther 22's that were on gun broker round $300

A Walther P22 is a good choice for a starter. It's cheap to feed and it can be adjusted to fit her hand better with the different back straps. Pick up a few extra mags and a few hundred rounds and go have a blast.

Wake27
11-07-12, 19:14

I'm doing this, but with a 26. I'm not sure if it'll be pink or zebra, but she's hot enough to pull it off haha.

Smash
11-07-12, 19:14
He said wife right? Not small daughter? My mom is over 50 and does fine with a 19. My girlfriend is 5'2 and does fine with a 17 and 26.

OP do you imagine your wife is unable to use a Glock?

Smash
11-07-12, 19:17
I'm doing this, but with a 26. I'm not sure if it'll be pink or zebra, but she's hot enough to pull it off haha.

haha I had a police trade in 23 cerakoted grey "almost zebra" it's sold but it was a decent job.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112718&highlight=cerakoted

OP imagine the above in pink.....and 9mm.....she'd love it.

Jimmyjon
11-07-12, 19:18
He said wife right? Not small daughter? My mom is over 50 and does fine with a 19. My girlfriend is 5'2 and does fine with a 17 and 26.

OP do you imagine you wife is unable to use a Glock?

It might be a little big but I would have to stop by the LGS to fondle a few with her.:smile:

Smash
11-07-12, 19:20
It wont make difference in control but a 26 might make her more comfortable. Sometimes women see something smaller and like it more...

I say, "You're carrying a purse, put a 17 in there with 3 mags. It doesnt need to be small."

Jimmyjon
11-07-12, 19:25
haha I had a police trade in 23 cerakoted grey "almost zebra" it's sold but it was a decent job.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112718&highlight=cerakoted

OP imagine the above in pink.....and 9mm.....she'd love it.

What that cerakote job cost you?

Wake27
11-07-12, 19:25
It wont make difference in control but a 26 might make her more comfortable. Sometimes women see something smaller and like it more...

I say, "You're carrying a purse, put a 17 in there with 3 mags. It doesnt need to be small."

Yeah she likes the slightly smaller size much better. Keep in mind, my sister is giving me her 26 for the girlfriend, because she (my sister) doesn't like how small it is and wants a 19.

Smash
11-07-12, 19:38
What that cerakote job cost you?

About $180 I think. I used 3 colors. Not sure how every dealer prices it out.

jmp45
11-07-12, 19:48
For plinking maybe an mp22. My wife loves her Gen3 G19. She can rack and get good groups no issues. She's petite as the come.

TeamGrazzi
11-07-12, 21:11
My wife has trouble racking an M&P 9 but not my G19. She does like the M&P better though with the small back strap.

Vic303
11-08-12, 09:45
Hogue is selling hot pink grip sleeves and back strap covers....saw them at Cabelas last night. Also Puke Green (zombie green) ones too.

Grizzly16
11-08-12, 10:07
Try and find a gun that works for her. Then search around for "dipping" services. Lots of folks around here can put whatever pattern on a gun you want.

Big Bronze Rim
11-08-12, 11:19
Is this a range/home defense gun or something that she would try and carry concealed. My wife settled on a full size M&P JG for her first pistol and it has served her well. She has since gotten her CHL and now daily carries a p238.

No reason to pigeon hole her into a revolver. Any woman can run an auto pistol just fine. As a general rule, they are easier to shoot and hold more BBs. A full size polymer service pistol would be a good choice and with all of the modern coatings out there, getting it to look the way she wants should be easy.

Sikiguya
11-09-12, 21:51
Have her go to a range and try different guns. You will be surprised at what she will like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk