PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Precision Machine

Bolverk93
11-07-12, 22:13
I was out shopping for a new rifle today when I came across one made in NC by a company called Barnes Precision Machine. The Patrolman's Carbine 16" midlength. I never heard of them before, but the quality seemed very good and the price was right for it is. $1200ish The salesman who is someone I believe assured me it was in use with some of the SOF around here. Well, I did something I rarely do and I bought it on impulse without researching it. Now I'm concerned I may have made a mistake, and purchased a target oriented rifle instead of a combat weapon. I am no expert, but it does seem very well made. However, I don't want a toy, I want something I can count on. It is very tight and everything is match grade, and that makes me concerned about reliability. Is anyone here familiar with this weapon or have any opinions on it?

Here's the website.
http://www.barnesprecision.com/

AKDoug
11-07-12, 22:27
Another unknown manufacturer with unlisted specs on their website. You bought it so run it hard and let us know how it holds up. Using the search it appears that a couple members here have some of their stuff.

Blowby
11-07-12, 22:29
Well they have a testimonial of real usage posted. Not saying which weapon they are using.

https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/Articles.asp?ID=240

Stickman
11-08-12, 00:37
You don't post a link to what you bought.... But you could have got a Colt or BCM for that price.

Iraqgunz
11-08-12, 01:03
The bolt carrier group is made from 8620 and not Carpenter 158 (according to their website). I would return it, but of course I am brand snob and whore. :rolleyes:

They are also very vague about what the real specs are. I would try and return it ASAP. Or sell it to some panicker who is desperate for something that looks cool.

Split66
11-08-12, 01:32
but of course I am brand snob and whore. :rolleyes:

Hey, ya gotta do what you gotta do to afford all those "Top Shelf" weapons.

Just make sure those ladies keep payin up.

OP is this the carbine?

http://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/product-p/cqb-pc.htm

Customer testimonial section is interesting too

https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/Articles.asp?ID=240

Bolverk93
11-08-12, 05:57
Split, that's it.

I'll probably try to return it today.

chuckman
11-08-12, 06:07
Thier shop is about 45 minutes from me. I do not work for them, I do not own one, but have shot one, albeit only about 200 rounds, and it is a good rifle. They are popular around here and have seen them cropping up in several LEO's patrol cars. I am not a shill of theirs, caveat emptor and all, but I would run it before jumping to conclusions. Here is alink to their 'page' in our local shooter's forum:

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/forums/145-Barnes-Precision-Machine

Also, Wahoo95, a member here, is very familiar with them. Contact him for further info.

eperk
11-08-12, 06:09
I couldn't find anything more than vague specs on any of their products. I would be very wary of these guys.

MistWolf
11-08-12, 08:16
Any time sales tells you a little known brand of AR is used by SOF, be skeptical. Very skeptical

5pins
11-08-12, 09:05
The salesman who is someone I believe assured me it was in use with some of the SOF around here.

Total bull shit! That right there would be enough to walk away. If the guy is going to blatantly lie to about that then what else is he lying to you about?

Split66
11-08-12, 09:08
This is the only customer testimonial on their site.

https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/afghanistan.jpg

I hope this email finds you and yours well. I see your taking your show on the road to the Shot Show. I'm sure you'll be well received and I would like to do my part to help promote your excellent equipment. I've been carrying your rifle around Afghanistan for the last 6 months and it's done great. Never a malfunction and very accurate. I'm finishing off the the third can of military issue 118LR so since new the rifle has over a thousand rounds through it without a malfunction. It still holds minute of angle when I put a 10x scope on it and can do failure drills and fast engagements when I have my ELCAN on it. Thanks again for everything,

name withheld

PirateKevin
11-08-12, 09:41
I am from NC and I know of quite a few people that own them and are very happy with them. I personally own a DDM4 and have no first hand experience with them. I found a pretty detailed article on the company at http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/09/barnes-precision-machine-bpm-15-ar.html

chuckman
11-08-12, 11:36
To be fair, I know some guys in the tier 1 group at Bragg that DO own them, but own them as private citizens, not in an official capacity.

Before one 'walks away', or takes it back for a refund, or whatever, do a little research. It seems like most people here are basing posts on opinions and hearsay (including me, but at least I have handled one).

Bolverk93
11-09-12, 17:25
Update

Last night I had decided to keep it and run with it. I wiped it down and oiled it before taking it to go shoot. When I reassembled it I realized the upper receiver stuck out almost an 1/8" over the lower receiver on the right side. The left side was flush as it should be. Anyway, this morning I exchanged it for a Daniel Defense which is what I was shopping for anyway. I would say lesson learned, but I knew I ****ed up as soon as I brought it home knowing that I never make impulse buys like that.

Airhasz
11-09-12, 20:07
Ah, a rare happy ending!

bodhisattva
11-10-12, 18:50
You made the right choice, OP. Their price point matches the big mil spec brands so going with the known quantity is always a good idea. Non mil spec BCGs is like the prime red flag in shitty ARs.

PlatoCATM
11-10-12, 19:43
I hope this email finds you and yours well. I see your taking your show on the road to the Shot Show. I'm sure you'll be well received and I would like to do my part to help promote your excellent equipment. I've been carrying your rifle around Afghanistan for the last 6 months and it's done great. Never a malfunction and very accurate. I'm finishing off the the third can of military issue 118LR so since new the rifle has over a thousand rounds through it without a malfunction. It still holds minute of angle when I put a 10x scope on it and can do failure drills and fast engagements when I have my ELCAN on it. Thanks again for everything,

name withheld

Too bad M118LR is 7.62.

Glad you were able to return it.

whoknows
11-10-12, 20:08
Too bad M118LR is 7.62.

Glad you were able to return it.

Talked with Andrew, the owner of BPM last week. Customer in the photo was killed here recently. Rifle in question is a 7.62 version not shown on the website.

theblackknight
11-10-12, 23:26
Shot one of these today and talked with the Barnes guys while at Tigerswan. While Im not sure guys with the groups around Bragg are using these for work guns,they are shooting them everywhere else.

I really like their Ultralite ETRM rail, It's barrel nut and how it indexes on bothsides of the upper is what the TRX/Alpha rail wishes it was. I can't find a good picture of one to really see how it locks up. I'm not sure about the BCG's and all that but I'm still shooting a normal carbine handguard and FSB because none of the gamer tubes look solid enough. This one, while expensive, might get my money.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AVSXjGeK2bY/UFY7ZOh4WlI/AAAAAAAAD8c/rg4JSi02KYk/s1600/Imgp4113.jpg

Bolverk93
11-11-12, 21:35
I have actually been asking around quite a bit with the people around here that know, and everyone says that they are great weapons. Mine was out of spec, but maybe it was just a lemon.

eperk
11-12-12, 06:10
Shot one of these today and talked with the Barnes guys while at Tigerswan. While Im not sure guys with the groups around Bragg are using these for work guns,they are shooting them everywhere else.

I really like their Ultralite ETRM rail, It's barrel nut and how it indexes on bothsides of the upper is what the TRX/Alpha rail wishes it was. I can't find a good picture of one to really see how it locks up. I'm not sure about the BCG's and all that but I'm still shooting a normal carbine handguard and FSB because none of the gamer tubes look solid enough. This one, while expensive, might get my money.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AVSXjGeK2bY/UFY7ZOh4WlI/AAAAAAAAD8c/rg4JSi02KYk/s1600/Imgp4113.jpg

Good luck with that. Not sur about th BCG?????

zk556x45
11-12-12, 08:07
***NOTE: I'm a regular dude. Not a LEO and not military. Andrew Barnes (owner of BPM) has become a friend of mine over the past couple of years. I'm not sponsored by BPM and have nothing to gain by posting this. FWIW.***

I have a BPM rifle that I've owned for just under two years. I bought my first one after meeting Andrew Barnes at a local match here in NC and taking a two hour tour of his facility in Apex, NC. I am currently in the process of buying a second BPM rifle.

First, I don't feel any need to have members here (or anywhere else) validate my choice. My rifle has been extremely accurate and reliable and I could not be more satisfied with it. I have approximately 5000-5500 rounds through my BPM (not a lot by standards here on m4c, I know). The malfunctions that I've had were related to (1) worn out magazines, (2) eroded gas rings (at ~4000 rounds) and (3) a broken bolt lug at ~4700. I had an LMT when I bought my BPM, and after running the Barnes for a while, sold the LMT and have not regretted it since (the LMT was a fantastic rifle; just trying to communicate that I didn't feel like I was giving anything up going with the Barnes). I don't shoot from a bench, but my Barnes rifle has been far more accurate than I am out to 300 yards supported on barricades with occasional barricaded shots out to and just beyond 400.

Second, and most importantly, I would like to set the record straight with respect to some earlier statement that BPM has "lied" about certain SOF dudes running these guns. I know for a fact (because I have shot with these guys myself) that more than a few SOF guys here in NC choose these rifles as their personal, privately owned guns and at least one rifle has been selected as a work gun and fielded down-range. Andrew is one of the most straight-up guys I've ever met. He doesn't lie. Ever. I can guarantee you that his integrity as a man means more to him that selling rifles.

Third, the "SOF" connection means very little to me. What does matter to me are the years of machining experience and quality control that go into these guns. The threshold for what leaves that shop is EXTREMELY high, because I know that Andrew views each of these carbines as a reflection on him and on his business.

Finally, the fact that the OP's gun was out of spec is surprising to me. I know that BPM would find that completely unacceptable and would have gone above and beyond to make it right. IME, these guns are well-built, soft-shooting and accurate.

My name is Steve Sellers. If anyone has questions about my experience with BPM, just drop me a PM.

Airhasz
11-12-12, 09:24
***NOTE: I'm a regular dude. Not a LEO and not military. Andrew Barnes (owner of BPM) has become a friend of mine over the past couple of years. I'm not sponsored by BPM and have nothing to gain by posting this. FWIW.***

I have a BPM rifle that I've owned for just under two years. I bought my first one after meeting Andrew Barnes at a local match here in NC and taking a two hour tour of his facility in Apex, NC. I am currently in the process of buying a second BPM rifle.

First, I don't feel any need to have members here (or anywhere else) validate my choice. My rifle has been extremely accurate and reliable and I could not be more satisfied with it. I have approximately 5000-5500 rounds through my BPM (not a lot by standards here on m4c, I know). The malfunctions that I've had were related to (1) worn out magazines, (2) eroded gas rings (at ~4000 rounds) and (3) a broken bolt lug at ~4700. I had an LMT when I bought my BPM, and after running the Barnes for a while, sold the LMT and have not regretted it since (the LMT was a fantastic rifle; just trying to communicate that I didn't feel like I was giving anything up going with the Barnes). I don't shoot from a bench, but my Barnes rifle has been far more accurate than I am out to 300 yards supported on barricades with occasional barricaded shots out to and just beyond 400.

Second, and most importantly, I would like to set the record straight with respect to some earlier statement that BPM has "lied" about certain SOF dudes running these guns. I know for a fact (because I have shot with these guys myself) that more than a few SOF guys here in NC choose these rifles as their personal, privately owned guns and at least one rifle has been selected as a work gun and fielded down-range. Andrew is one of the most straight-up guys I've ever met. He doesn't lie. Ever. I can guarantee you that his integrity as a man means more to him that selling rifles.

Third, the "SOF" connection means very little to me. What does matter to me are the years of machining experience and quality control that go into these guns. The threshold for what leaves that shop is EXTREMELY high, because I know that Andrew views each of these carbines as a reflection on him and on his business.

Finally, the fact that the OP's gun was out of spec is surprising to me. I know that BPM would find that completely unacceptable and would have gone above and beyond to make it right. IME, these guns are well-built, soft-shooting and accurate.

My name is Steve Sellers. If anyone has questions about my experience with BPM, just drop me a PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong , but worn out gas rings and broken bolt lug before 5K rounds sounds like junk to me:confused: I've got around 5700 rounds through my Colt that I purchased in mid April almost all rapid fired and would be surprised if it fails anytime soon. And what do people mean when they say my rifle shoots better than me:confused:how would you know:confused:Are you having someone else shoot it to verify?

djmorris
11-12-12, 09:34
So already we have confirmation of a ****ed gas rings and a broken bolt before the bolt even hit 4000 - 4,500 rounds. That's not very impressive. Gas rings are one thing but if you're breaking bolts at 4k then you're probably doing something wrong, or shooting a piece of shit. We also have the OP's receiver being significantly out of spec.

I do know that if I had any of those issues with my weapon then I would not be happy at all. Are you sure you're not endorsing the company simply because you spent a lot of money on one of their rifles?

The bolt is made out of lesser material; that's already been confirmed. I just don't see how this company differs from Bushmaster, Rock River, DelTon, etc?

Bolverk93
11-12-12, 09:39
Airhasz, my thoughts as well. My first DD has many thousands of rounds through it, and is still going strong. Our issued Colts go through ****ing hell, and after 6+ years in the Infantry I have only seen a broken bolt lug once.

The SOF reference may be misleading. Just because you are in a certain unit doesn't make you an expert on different weapon systems and manufacturers. I'm starting to think that BPM makes a good competition gun that just became the trendy new thing around here.

zk556x45
11-12-12, 19:46
I do know that if I had any of those issues with my weapon then I would not be happy at all. Are you sure you're not endorsing the company simply because you spent a lot of money on one of their rifles?

Yeah, I'm sure. I, like many folks on here, would rather just sell something that doesn't work than try and convince myself that it's a good product. The bottom-line is that that rifle is among the softest shooting and most accurate rifles that I've had an opportunity to run (to include DD, BCM, LMT and other top tier guns). That's my opinion, but has been confirmed by every person I've ever handed the rifle. Every one of them.

One member suggested that I might be doing something wrong to have experienced the two issues that I've had inside of 5500 rounds of m193. He may be right -- maybe I am doing something wrong. Either way, the issues have been easily diagnosed and repaired.

I discovered the eroded gas ring when I noticed some increased gas in my eyes during a match. Replacing the worn ring solved that issue, and - correct me if I'm wrong - the gas rings are a consumable part. Not unheard of for them (or one of them) to become worn after 5000 rounds. Didn't choke the gun, just needed a replacement.

The broken bolt lug is what it is. Replaced it and haven't had a problem with the new one. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and to the dude asking what it means when people say "it's more accurate than I am..." It's a self-deprecating expression used by individuals who wish to communicate an understanding that, standing and shooting off-hand or on the move, it is their skill and not their equipment that is the limiting factor. My apologies for not being clearer about that.

theblackknight
11-12-12, 21:53
Jeeze. "Rifle shoots better then me" typically means that the gun's mechanical MOA is smaller then what the shooter can produce. So,the rifle can hold a 1 in group at 100, but the shooter how owns it can do 4 at best.(example)

One thing I also remember is barnes said he did some kind of anodizing on the gas tube in response to what FA does to gas tubes at the carrier key end.

Hey 556, can you explain their "accurizing screw and rear detent screw" on the lowers? I didnt really notice this when I was molesting them.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

zk556x45
11-12-12, 22:06
Jeeze. "Rifle shoots better then me" typically means that the gun's mechanical MOA is smaller then what the shooter can produce. So,the rifle can hold a 1 in group at 100, but the shooter how owns it can do 4 at best.(example)

One thing I also remember is barnes said he did some kind of anodizing on the gas tube in response to what FA does to gas tubes at the carrier key end.

Hey 556, can you explain their "accurizing screw and rear detent screw" on the lowers? I didnt really notice this when I was molesting them.

TBK: I think that language is referring to a screw that can be tightened to apply tension between the upper and lower receivers. Takes any slop that might develop over time out of the system. I doubt it makes the gun any more accurate, but it sure is a nice feature, IMO. You wouldn't see it without popping the rear pin and looking down into the lower receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

graffex
11-12-12, 22:22
Most important parts for an AR, bolt and barrel. If the bolt isn't up to snuff it isn't worth anything. The fact that they don't utilize a proper bolt tells me to run away fast as shit. You would literally have to be on drugs to buy that over a Colt, DD, BCM. Which can be found cheaper by the way.

Iraqgunz
11-12-12, 22:51
When I read a so-called testimonial where an alleged SOF type talks about shooting 7.62 ammo in a 5.56 I smell bullshit and it smacks of someone writing their own reviews.

Split66
11-12-12, 23:03
When I read a so-called testimonial where an alleged SOF type talks about shooting 7.62 ammo in a 5.56 I smell bullshit and it smacks of someone writing their own reviews.

I thought that too, seems the company has built some 7.62 guns. They were touting a release to the public that hasnt happened. So from what I gather the guy took some sort of prototype "over there". You can see it in the pics vs the other guy with a standard carbine, especially the picture where the guys are standing in front of what looks to be Tommy Chong/Willie Nelson's pot garden.

theblackknight
11-12-12, 23:14

Post 19.

The bolt thing? Yeah, its not to spec.

The SF thing? I saw 6 barnes rifles saturday at the Tigerswan match on saturday (i was in the competition squad), some of them were team guys rifles, some idk. Im pretty sure the owner is a former 3rd group guy who dedicated the match to the KIA CWO from 3rd group in the rifle testimonial, and this weekends match is dedicated to. You can check out tarheel 3guns site or FB and go shoot,you might get to see one of these rifles up close.

Before saturday, this company didnt exist in my world, but I do think they have a great handguard, they do shoot soft on FA, and I dont think the SOF poser witch hunt is warranted in this case.

Iraqgunz
11-13-12, 00:36
Please re-read what I posted. Then read this statement from their own website.

name withheld

When they post a testimonial on their OWN WEBSITE in which Mr. Name Withheld claims to use their weapon in Afghanistan and he is shooting 118LR ammo which to the best of my knowledge is 7.62 ammo my spider sense tingles. So either the testimonial was faked or someone doesn't know what they are talking about. I don't care what group was shooting their stuff or what claim to fame is being made.

Apparently you aren't aware of all the companies who have been outed for using shills to advance their products. It's been discovered here several times.

Post 19.

The bolt thing? Yeah, its not to spec.

The SF thing? I saw 6 barnes rifles saturday at the Tigerswan match on saturday (i was in the competition squad), some of them were team guys rifles, some idk. Im pretty sure the owner is a former 3rd group guy who dedicated the match to the KIA CWO from 3rd group in the rifle testimonial, and this weekends match is dedicated to. You can check out tarheel 3guns site or FB and go shoot,you might get to see one of these rifles up close.

Before saturday, this company didnt exist in my world, but I do think they have a great handguard, they do shoot soft on FA, and I dont think the SOF poser witch hunt is warranted in this case.

eperk
11-13-12, 05:46
If it were me I would sell that POS, admit I had made a mistake, suck it up and get something quality made.
But that's just me.

wahoo95
11-13-12, 06:30
Barnes does have some prototype 7.62 rifles being fielded/tested by some guys overseas which aren't available for sale to the public or mentioned on their site. He also has some 300blk uppers out in the marketplace that you wont see on his website.

Barnes Precision Machine started out as a machine shop and continues to be. They're known for the high quality work on the non firearm side as well as the firearm side. I know he also produces parts for some other companies in the firearms market though I can't confirm who. His handguard design is one of the most solid designs in the market.

Barnes does build a good rifle and care about his products. He puts a lot of time into QC which is anybody honestly don't believe the claim about him sending out a receiver that was out of spec. There are quite a few of his rifles seeing some high round counts from good shooters here in the Carolinas. Spend a little time at any local matches to see them. He builds an accurate rifle as well. He's currently using Montana Rifle blanks and in the past has used Mike Rock blanks.

zk556x45 gave his honest experience on their products and is as straight up a guy as you will ever meet. He is not a company shill and was only giving his honest experience as a guy who actually owns a BPM and shoots it.

I have no affiliation with BPM, however I have toured the factory, shot their rifles, and I their BCG in one of my rifles.

zk556x45
11-13-12, 06:32

Removed and sent via PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djmorris
11-13-12, 07:52
I'm still very confused as to why their is any endorsement of this company after seeing what they are using for a bolt and then hearing about one breaking sub-5000 rounds. This thread alone is enough for me to stay away for life.

So perhaps they make accurate rifles but at their price point a BCM SS410 would be pretty darned accurate too, and a BCM bolt won't be shedding lugs at 4,000 rounds.

So we've come to the conclusion that "BPM" is not as bad as DPMS or Olympic Arms but what's the benefit to spending well over a grand on one of these when you can get a BCD for the same, or less? (Bravo, Colt, or DD)

Not trying to bash but it seems like this company falls into the same ol' same ol' if you know what I mean...

Airhasz
11-13-12, 08:07
I'm still very confused as to why their is any endorsement of this company after seeing what they are using for a bolt and then hearing about one breaking sub-5000 rounds. This thread alone is enough for me to stay away for life.

So perhaps they make accurate rifles but at their price point a BCM SS410 would be pretty darned accurate too, and a BCM bolt won't be shedding lugs at 4,000 rounds.

So we've come to the conclusion that "BPM" is not as bad as DPMS or Olympic Arms but what's the benefit to spending well over a grand on one of these when you can get a BCD for the same, or less? (Bravo, Colt, or DD)

Not trying to bash but it seems like this company falls into the same ol' same ol' if you know what I mean...

Excellent review, you didn't even have to waste ammo:nono:

scoutfsu99
11-13-12, 08:10
One. One bolt apparently shed a lug. It could be a material defect. It could be the firing schedule. It could be just one of those things that happens.....like Colt bolts breaking around 5k on 6920 range guns. I'm not going to condemn a company, one that other knowledgeable and respected members of this forum are saying good things about, over a "sample of one" and a slightly suspect review.

I'm curious why people think the guy talking about shooting 118LR is so suspicious.....considering the pictures are showing a 7.62 gun and someone else mentioned the company makes(made/testing?) 7.62 guns?

theblackknight
11-13-12, 08:34
Please re-read what I posted. Then read this statement from their own website.

name withheld

When they post a testimonial on their OWN WEBSITE in which Mr. Name Withheld claims to use their weapon in Afghanistan and he is shooting 118LR ammo which to the best of my knowledge is 7.62 ammo my spider sense tingles. So either the testimonial was faked or someone doesn't know what they are talking about. I don't care what group was shooting their stuff or what claim to fame is being made.

Apparently you aren't aware of all the companies who have been outed for using shills to advance their products. It's been discovered here several times.

When did anyone say he was shooting 762 thru a 556,besides that being physically impossible?

zk556x45
11-13-12, 08:37
One. One bolt apparently shed a lug. It could be a material defect. It could be the firing schedule. It could be just one of those things that happens.....

Agreed. These guns are machines with parts that break. My bolt threw a lug sooner than it should have. It happens. BPM didn't make excuses for it; they asked for the broken bolt so it could be examined and replaced it. Exactly what any reputable company would have done when a part fails.

What I still don't understand is why some of y'all sit around here like rabid dogs waiting for a chance to pounce on anyone/anything that isn't an LMT/DD/Noveske/BCM. Those are excellent rifle builders. But they aren't the only ones out there innovating and building a quality product.

It's one thing to railroad another builder based on one broken part. It's unfair, but this is the internet and that sort of thing is going to happen time and time again.

However: It's inexcusable, childish and out of line to attack a man's character and integrity from behind the shroud of anonymity that the internet and obscure usernames provide -- without knowing the first thing about who he is and what he actually stands for.

That's what's so infuriating about the way this thread has gone. Too many of you sit behind your computers and hurl personal insults at someone you've never met, knowing that you'll never be held accountable for what you type.

It's embarrassing. And if I get banned or cited for typing that, so be it.

Steve Sellers, a regular guy from NC.

theblackknight
11-13-12, 09:46
Guys, how much is a 16" middy,stainless barrel with 1/8 twist with a 12" tube style hand guard from a in-spec builder?

5pins
11-13-12, 11:57
Sorry but whenever someone plays the SOF card my BS meter goes off.

theblackknight
11-13-12, 12:47
I now have the urge to buy one of these rifles just in spite of you guys and the sweet reading comp skills I've seen here.

BTW, here's the guy who apperntly is a lier, or shady, or not SOF, or makes your BS meter tickle.

http://tarheel3gun.com/two-us-army-3rd-group-special-forces-members-to-honor-their-fallen-comrade-cw2-michael-duskin-big-mike-at-the-nov-18th-bushmaster-tarheel-3-gun-monthly-match/

26 Inf
11-13-12, 12:47
One. One bolt apparently shed a lug. It could be a material defect. It could be the firing schedule. It could be just one of those things that happens.....like Colt bolts breaking around 5k on 6920 range guns. I'm not going to condemn a company, one that other knowledgeable and respected members of this forum are saying good things about, over a "sample of one" and a slightly suspect review.

I'm curious why people think the guy talking about shooting 118LR is so suspicious.....considering the pictures are showing a 7.62 gun and someone else mentioned the company makes(made/testing?) 7.62 guns?

A lot of folks don't take the time to read the entire thread when they get on a thread at the midway point. Some folks don't read with comprehension either. (like whoever posted and said 'sell the pos' after the OP had already posted that he had swapped) Additionally, some folks feel compelled to follow the crowd. But you already know that. :)

I thought the OP's question was legit, and I thought that zk556's response was up front and useful.

I agree with you about the bolt, show a consistent problem and I'd be concerned, once again, I feel zk556's take on it is entirely reasonable.

What matters at the end of the day is that the gun goes bang and it hits what you are aiming at - where you intended. zk556 is happy with his choice, the OP, swayed by several posts got rid of his, and I'm looking into buying some stuff from BPM.:)

All is well.

First post on the forum.

chuckman
11-13-12, 12:50
Sorry but whenever someone plays the SOF card my BS meter goes off.

Agreed, but there needs to be a point where you got to drop it or take it on. There are trainers on here that hawk all sorts of products, and companies here that, officially/unofficially, have SOF/FAGs hawk their stuff. The companies for which they shill, and the men who do it, that's between them. Not knocking them, a man's gotta earn his nut, but if a company is doing the same thing, call them on it or let it drop. This site has rightfully busted losers/posers doing this type of this, so if you have evidence that speaks to the claims, put it out.

Here in NC I can't swing a dead cat for hitting a tactical nylon/custom gunshop/whatever that doesn't have someone from either Bragg or Lejeune use it, endorse it, or trial it.

For this particular builder, there are guys at Bragg who use his rifle (but in what capacity, I do not know). Perhaps the builder wrapped it crappy advertising or dubious testimonials, but semantics aside, it is what it is.

Bolverk93
11-13-12, 14:41
26 INF, you sum it up nicely. However, I had made the decision to keep the rifle in spite of the posts here, and only exchanged it when I realized the receiver was out of spec. As I said before everyone I talked to in the area who make a living off AR's or are serious shooters do endorse BPM products.

theblackknight
11-13-12, 14:47
and I'm looking into buying some stuff from BPM.:)

All is well.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/9/96234/2263308-South-Park-rabble-rabble-rabble.jpg

Todd00000
11-13-12, 14:48
in use with some of the SOF around here.

Where is here?

BACKWARDSMAN
11-20-12, 20:50
You don't post a link to what you bought.... But you could have got a Colt or BCM for that price.

NOPE..don't think so. Lots of people out here that don't really compare apples to apples. Understand what you get for the money and you will see. Jus sayin

Iraqgunz
11-20-12, 23:18
Would you care to explain your cryptic message?

NOPE..don't think so. Lots of people out here that don't really compare apples to apples. Understand what you get for the money and you will see. Jus sayin

JoshNC
11-21-12, 01:01
I now have the urge to buy one of these rifles just in spite of you guys and the sweet reading comp skills I've seen here.

BTW, here's the guy who apperntly is a lier, or shady, or not SOF, or makes your BS meter tickle.

http://tarheel3gun.com/two-us-army-3rd-group-special-forces-members-to-honor-their-fallen-comrade-cw2-michael-duskin-big-mike-at-the-nov-18th-bushmaster-tarheel-3-gun-monthly-match/

Man that is terrible to hear Mike is gone. I shot with Mike several times and can say that he was the real deal and a heck of a guy. He did have one of Barnes' prototype 7.62 guns. He will be missed.

theblackknight
06-20-13, 02:28
I found this interesting. That is a Barnes gun, not sure is issued or personal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=538166596242239&set=pb.122941431098093.-2207520000.1371713023.&type=3&theater

Chorizo
06-20-13, 09:21
I am with you. This site reminds me of a bunch of high school girls from the "in crowd".

LtCol M.A. "Chorizo" Jaurena
USMC (ret)

However: It's inexcusable, childish and out of line to attack a man's character and integrity from behind the shroud of anonymity that the internet and obscure usernames provide -- without knowing the first thing about who he is and what he actually stands for.

That's what's so infuriating about the way this thread has gone. Too many of you sit behind your computers and hurl personal insults at someone you've never met, knowing that you'll never be held accountable for what you type.

It's embarrassing. And if I get banned or cited for typing that, so be it.

Steve Sellers, a regular guy from NC.

wahoo95
06-20-13, 09:38
I picked up a BPM 18" for use in 3 Gun a few months ago after watching this thread go downhill. Up to that point I'd used many BPM parts but never a complete rifle for myself. As expected I am very happy with the rifle all the way around from performance to fit/finish.

I've only got 1k rounds through it at this point but will update when I get more downrange. There have been zero issues and it had proven accurate. The adjustable gas option is a nice touch for a dedicated 3 Gun set up as it allows me to tune to my loads for a super soft shooting gun.

Also, I was given a choice in bolts with Carpenter 158 being the option I chose.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I have no professional affiliation with BPM outside of knowing the owner and having toured the facility. I've been using some of their parts for the last couple of years and have been pleased so this thread finally prompted me to go all in and pick up one of their rifles.

eperk
06-20-13, 18:53
More power to ya.

theblackknight
08-29-13, 20:47
I recently seen this in a convo on FB

Andrew is 100% legit, i have some incredible stories about him. when i was in Afghanistan he built our D/Co deployment rifles, while he was doing that they were also building deployment rifles for our air support squadron, about 3 months later Barnes asked me to look in to a rifle that was never picked up from the FFL dealer. Turned out the soldier was killed very near the end of the deployment. Andrew had me find the Soldiers next of kin, Refunded the entire purchase, got the rifle back in the shop, engraved the receiver on the other side of his company crest engraved the bronze star he was posthumously awarded then gave the rifle to his family with the deposit money their son had payed the company. Andrew Barnes is a true Patriot

wahoo95
08-29-13, 21:17
Good stuff