PDA

View Full Version : best way to get started in semi auto precision shooting?

Mag360
11-08-12, 03:24
What platform/model would you recommend to a newcomer to precision semi auto? I really like the new ptr 91 A3R at atlantic firearms. It has a new 1: 10 barrel and a rail for a scope.

lengthofpull
11-09-12, 14:56
What distances do you want to shoot?
What kind of targets are you going to shoot?
Why an HK91ish clone?
What is your budget for the rifle?

It certainly would not be my choice. Are you committed to a semi-auto?

-LOP

C-grunt
11-09-12, 17:17
I would buy:
A lower locally: 300 bucks
A bolt carrier group: 150 bucks

This upper: 750 bucks
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

Geissele SSA trigger: 180 bucks
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Geissele-AR15-Super-Semi-Automatic-Trigger-p/geissele%20ssa%20trigger%20spin.htm

That with an optic of your choice will get you a great Recce rifle.

wetidlerjr
11-09-12, 18:22
I would buy:
A lower locally: 300 bucks
A bolt carrier group: 150 bucks
This upper: 750 bucks
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm
Geissele SSA trigger: 180 bucks
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Geissele-AR15-Super-Semi-Automatic-Trigger-p/geissele%20ssa%20trigger%20spin.htm
That with an optic of your choice will get you a great Recce rifle.

"Great minds think alike." :D
Mine is as above but with this upper: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20pri12black.htm

BCM lower/BCM BCG/VORTEX 2.5X10 scope (VIPER PST)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/admin/includes/thumbnail_generator.php?maxw=300&img=vpr-pst_210s1-m_f-t.jpg

Mag360
11-10-12, 04:16
I had not thought of using a 5.56. I already have two 16" 5.56's. One is a psa
hammer forged the other a chrome lined spikes tactical.
I dont really have a budget, im a thrifty person and really dont like paying for something because of a name. Ill say my budget without an optic is $1500 for arguments sake.

I guess i want semi auto to shoot more stuff faster.

The ptr91 just because it looks cool?

Not a very "distilled" set of goals here.

Mag360
11-10-12, 05:28
So i think my philosophy with the ptr is that i dont have a .308, it would fall under a new ban, i can get a good bolt gun anytime, they look sweet and i dont have an hk yet.

Id probably be able to get started just using my ta33 r8 acog with one of my 16" guns and getting a good spotting scope. I usually go to the range and shoot at close range targets doing larry vickers type drills.

MistWolf
11-10-12, 09:48
The PTR-91 is accurate for a battlerifle, but a bit clumsy in handling compared to most other rifles. If you simply want one, get one and shoot it. Avoid PTRs with the suffix "AW" in their serial number. They had TC barrels with shallow fluting in the chamber which leads to unreliable extraction and limits ammo choice to one brand.

If you want to become a good long range shooter, buy a good optic and mount it on your current rifle. All rifles can launch a bullet to about the same range, some with more consistency than others. Most rifles will be better than the shooter at first. Shooting long range with what you got will teach first and most importantly, how your current rifle performs. Given a fair chance, a basic rifle will surprise most shooters with how well they perform at range. Second, as you improve as a shooter, it will show what you need and want in a long range rifle and save you money spent on a rifle you guess will work

Noodles
11-13-12, 17:23
IMO, if you want to really learn how to shoot long range you start with a 556. You have to be spot on with wind calls on a 69gr or 77gr bullet compared to a 175gr or whatever.

For me, the choice was obvious. Spend $2000-3000 on a heavy semi-auto 308 that I pretty much can NOT afford to feed. Or spend $1500 on a much lighter 16" precision AR that I could still reconfigure and use as a carbine if I had to. This is how I'm getting into long range.

ZGXtreme
11-13-12, 17:52
I have pondered this as well on and off. Would a Colt CR6720 (20") be a solid platform to begin with as well?

Colt guy
11-13-12, 20:06
I picked up a upper in 6724 by colt and it shoots well but I feel it should do better. Have installed a custom muzzle brake lighter trigger springs and a NM trigger etc etc and still looking for smaller groups. Shooting 100yd 200yd and 300 yards.

C-grunt
11-14-12, 20:59
I have pondered this as well on and off. Would a Colt CR6720 (20") be a solid platform to begin with as well?

Free floated with match ammo you could pretty easily hit a silhouette target out past 600 yards if the rifle shoots decent.

Evergreen
11-15-12, 03:58
IMO, if you want to really learn how to shoot long range you start with a 556. You have to be spot on with wind calls on a 69gr or 77gr bullet compared to a 175gr or whatever.

For me, the choice was obvious. Spend $2000-3000 on a heavy semi-auto 308 that I pretty much can NOT afford to feed. Or spend $1500 on a much lighter 16" precision AR that I could still reconfigure and use as a carbine if I had to. This is how I'm getting into long range.

+1.. This is sound advice.. I am in the same dilemma in deciding which caliber I want to shoot. I know I should train with 5.56 because it is more cost efficient. However, if I truly want to become proficient with a longer range .308 (or some other larger caliber), would I not have trouble if all my training was done with a 5.56? Also, I am told 5.56 lacks the energy for shooting too long distances, as well as excessive hold over. I would be interested in training with a flatter shooting round that is more tuned to longer range shooting. All, my CQB type of training I feel would be perfect with 5.56.

Doc. Holiday
11-16-12, 11:03

Agreed. That's the config I've got currently. I can easily switch out my long range precision rifle to a run-n-gun config by pushing two buttons out and switching uppers.

Noodles
11-16-12, 11:41
However, if I truly want to become proficient with a longer range .308 (or some other larger caliber), would I not have trouble if all my training was done with a 5.56? Also, I am told 5.56 lacks the energy for shooting too long distances, as well as excessive hold over.

I don't feel like learning on 556 is going to hurt for when you switch over to 762.

All the basics and fundamentals are going to be exactly the same for 556, 308, 300blk, 9mm, 300wm, 22lr, 50BMG. Breathe, load a bipod, breaking the shot, reading wind and knowing holdovers, etc, all the same no matter what you're shooting.

I wouldn't train on 556 and compete with 308. But I would train on both 556 AND 308 then compete with 308. I'd even add 22lr on there just for the sheer number of times you can pull that trigger.

The holdovers are going to be different for everything you shoot, even 16" to 18" 308. So I wouldn't worry about that so much. And as far as energy, if you're not trying to kill at 800yards+ with 556, it's going to punch paper and ring steel all the same. I would keep the 556 for under 800 because of wind being so tricky at first it'll seem down right unfair. But I feel like the platform is fairly effective at that range if needed but good for learning/teaching without breaking the bank.

skywalkrNCSU
11-16-12, 16:21
How about just get a Ranier match barrel for one of your AR's and add a nice trigger (plus a free floated rail if you don't have one already)?

That is eventually what I plan to do, I would like to get a custom Ranier upper or a Noveske upper but budget is tight right now.