PDA

View Full Version : The problem with the New America!

crusader377
11-08-12, 09:21
Since the election the left and the mainstream media has been talking about the rise of the New America which is replacing traditional America. Although I'm in my mid 30s due to upbringing, family and work choices, and military service, I'm definitely in the traditional america camp unlike many of my peers. Here is a typical article from the left on New America.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/barack-obama-reelection_n_2085819.html

Here is my views on the three main problems with New America and why New America will be unable to keep the United States a great nation.

Lack of productivity: Bottom line is that traditional americans although the minority still probably produce 70%+ of the wealth in this country. If all of the traditional american's checked out and stop loyally contributing to the system, New America couldn't live its lifestyle.

Sense of Entitlement: One thing that I notice with many of my younger peers particularly those who live in urban areas or come from non-traditional families is a sense that they are owed something for existing. Somebody else has to pay for healthcare, college, birth control, abortions, their kids, etc... and they shouldn't have to make sacrifices.

Lack of sense of duty and service. If young traditional american's as a cohort checked out our country would lose superpower status overnight. I served in both infantry and artillery units and I can tell you at least 80% of the enlisted and officer ranks came from families with traditional American outlooks. If traditional americans checked out we would have largely a military that would be a benefits organization that occasionally killed a terrorist.

What are your thoughts!

Mauser KAR98K
11-08-12, 09:45
Who is John Galt?

CAVDOC
11-08-12, 09:50
One of the very telling stats I saw on CNN about the moral downfall of the country is 30% more weekly churchgoers voted Romney , while the numbers were reversed for non churchgoers

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-12, 10:07
That entitlement thing is definately a major issue. My wife is in medicine and people at the lower end just assume that things will be covered. Free care, free drugs- they just assume that someone else will pick up the tab.

People are all looking around trying to figure out how to change the trajectory from its downward direction. It aint gonna happen. The have/do-nots will bleed this country till we crash and then we'll have to pick ourselves up and get back to basics. Free stuff and free money for 47% is too addicitve.

The problem is that the downsides of the 'progressive' movement are all hidden, they are things that aren't attained. Things like higher growth, new technology development are suppressed under their plans- but you can't see what didn't happen. With traditional values you end up with winners and losers- and the losers are very visible and noisy. The downside of traditional way are visible, while the growth and innovation are taken for granted.

Honu
11-09-12, 15:26
dont know that NJ show ? or that chick thats popular ? can never remember her name cause I dont really care ?

but when those people are more common recognized than our leaders that says a lot about where America is headed !

when our pres goes on more talk shows more golf and lets our military people die it is a sad state

sadly they for some reason want this strange thing that does not exist where everything is just COOOOL and everyone gets along and thinks the rich can cover our ride ! and that %99 of the people are the good people and the only %1 that is bad are the rich cause they do not do anything !!!

sadly America is going to get what they deserve big time

not sure if it will recover the same though ? I somehow think the short lived days of the great USA are behind us now and not sure who is going to pick up the lead ? China ? Russia ?

when our leaders refuse to call our enemies by name and instead just takes out those names out of the attacks in history and tries to make it so nobody can say anything we are for sure doomed big time !!!

I just can not believe how much it has swung from when I was a teen in the 70s and 80s till now ?

almost reminds me of those pics you see of meth addicts and how they deteriorate so quickly

Belmont31R
11-09-12, 15:55
Wow people are throwing everyone under the bus. Younger people are no more "entitled" today than the greatest generation which we spend well over a trillion on a year through forced wealth redistribution, and wouldn't voted for someone who wants to reduce their benefits. Thats why Romney's plan didn't called for cutting anyone's SS or Medicare for anyone 56 or older, and one of his major talking points was ObamaCare cutting Medicare funding.

Younger people are more liberal in the sense they want less laws on everything, and the GOP is good at being the morality police. Being liberal used to mean less government. The Founders were 'classic liberals'. The GOP would do good to adopt more classical liberal ideology, and stop pushing the morality BS which doesn't appeal to younger voters.

I can also say, looking at the cost of tuition these days, it's not surprising people want 'help', and I'd rather pay for someone's college so they can go on to get good jobs, and pay more back than they took over their life time. If no one can afford to go to college without loans or subsidies then we get a lot less college graduates. Especially in this economy where people, even with degrees, are taking a hit.

The problem is everyone else wants the other guy to pay the taxes to pay for it. I'd support a balanced budget amendment, and if people want the programs then they should pay for them. No more putting half the spending on the 'tab' and letting younger generations pay deal with it later. I live in a predominately republican area (60/40 for Romney) and non of my wife's patients when she worked in home health nursing were complaining about Medicare picking up the tab. Entitlement is not an exclusive attribute to either, young people, democrats, republicans, old people, or anyone else for that that matter.

chuckman
11-10-12, 07:20
You nailed it, esp. the last two. We have moved from a country that the majority was of The Greatest Generation and put country above self to what can the country do for me? Many voters (most?) are single-issue, and those issues are selfish in nature, about how it affects them, not the country: immigration, abortion, women's rights (a red herring anyway)...gone are the voters who care about economy, Constitution, etc.

The_War_Wagon
11-10-12, 07:46
"New America" will last as long as the freebies last. Once THEY stop, welcome to the Balkans - ca. mid-'90's. :o

Low Drag
11-10-12, 08:02
Of late I have worked with a local Tea Party group here in the Denver area investigating voter registration fraud. I saw plenty that did not smell right. Lets say probable cause for a lawyer to begin digging. Because of this I hope to meet with some folks higher up and offer my 2 cents.

The new America is not due to changing demographics, rather the education/training of those demographics. It is way to easy in modern America to never here the hows and whys the free market works and creates more prosperity for more people or how low taxes on invested income allows the government to get a 2nd shot at taxing the rich and how those investments grow the economy.

Short TV commercials in markets targeting the demographics that voted Obama will make a dent.

I consider myself a Constitutional & fiscal conservative. I can explain in a 30 to 60 second 'elevator chat' why said conservative principles work.

montanadave
11-10-12, 09:59
Belmont, while it may seem we are often at odds during political discussions, your previous post in this thread is right on the money and I am in almost 100% agreement.

The whole "baby boomer" generation (which is MY generation) have done an abysmal job running this country, from the halls of Congress to the Oval Office to the corporate boardrooms of Wall Street. Frankly, I have much greater faith in the younger generations on the rise to cut through the bullshit than I do in my own.

The younger people I have spent time around seem pretty level-headed, pragmatic, industrious, more accepting of their peers, and much less inclined to lock themselves into some moribund, ideological mindset which makes it virtually impossible to reach equitable solutions to the structural problems facing this nation.

Belmont31R
11-10-12, 12:17
Belmont, while it may seem we are often at odds during political discussions, your previous post in this thread is right on the money and I am in almost 100% agreement.

The whole "baby boomer" generation (which is MY generation) have done an abysmal job running this country, from the halls of Congress to the Oval Office to the corporate boardrooms of Wall Street. Frankly, I have much greater faith in the younger generations on the rise to cut through the bullshit than I do in my own.

The younger people I have spent time around seem pretty level-headed, pragmatic, industrious, more accepting of their peers, and much less inclined to lock themselves into some moribund, ideological mindset which makes it virtually impossible to reach equitable solutions to the structural problems facing this nation.

Younger people take up far less of the budget than grandma and grandpa. Pel grants and the VA (for GI Bill) are a fraction of what older people cost.

Even with the GI Bill I'm going to have to end up taking loans out to finish my degree. Not asking anyone for a 'handout' but I find it ludicrous that some are blaming youth when the GOP doesn't appeal to youth, and think the world is the same when they were our age. My dad was able to become an electrical engineer, and was hired out of college before he finished his degree, and has had a very good career despite not having a degree. Today you aren't going anywhere in the engineering field without a degree much less get hired out of college because the company needs people so bad.

One of my friends here runs a web/app development company, and they were hiring for an office manager position paying like 14/hr. Its a small office but they were getting people with MBA's applying for it. It's simply far harder to get anywhere today even with a degree, and a lot more people are getting post grad degrees to stay competitive. Add this to the fact college is WAY more expensive now than it was during the baby boomer era, and we're starting kids off with loads of debt to get a competitive college degree.

So its rather obvious why younger people would be biting at the bit to get subsidized college tuition. I can't really blame them per say. Even with the GI Bill I'll be having to take loans once I transfer out of a community college and transfer to a degree program at a university. It's not so much an entitlement mentality its a "holy shit this is expensive" mentality.

Also...our economy has turned from manufacturing to a service economy...so if you don't get a degree you can work at starbucks or mcdonalds or again, pay to go to a trade school. Around here its expensive to go to a trade school, and not everyone can be an electrician or plumber. Not everyone wants to do that, either. Construction is filled with illegal aliens for the cheap wages they take.

With the economy, a lot more baby boomers are staying in the economy to pad up their retirement before they finally do retire. My dad is doing exactly that. He lost quite a bit a few years ago so he is going to work a few more years, and he'll be almost 70 when he retires, and there's no guarantee any of these jobs will even be filled.

As a younger person I look at what our government spends money on, and its either: military, old people or poor people. There's very little money, in comparison, being spend on younger to middle age people. Well as a tax payer, and someone looking at being a tax payer for the next 40 years or so, I'll vote for people who either do away with the taxes in the first place (1st choice) or if that doesn't work someone who will move the spending around to better benefit me. I don't want to pay taxes the majority of my life and have most of the benefits of the spending going to someone else. In this regard I think Europe has it much better as they put a lot more emphasis on getting people trained for a job or to go to a college. Their education system is a lot better in that they are sending 18 year olds out there already with the skills needed to at least get a trade job as an apprentice or for the kids who want to go to college they aren't starting out with tens of thousands of debt. Their spending is a lot more balanced to where the money goes.

When I was 18 I accepted into the gun smithing school in Ferlach, Austria, and this town is basically built around custom gun making. There are several of the worlds top gun custom gun manufacturers there, and they have a trade school to learn how to do it. They teach everything from basic machining to gold inlays and engraving. This school was basically the educational equivalent of a HS with the gun smithing added in. Since I was accepted I was going to get full room and board for free, and the school was also at no cost. A buddy and I went over there. I ended up joining the Army instead but thats the type of thing we need here if we are going to spend the money. Everyone wants to bash Europe for its gun laws or whatever but theres no HS in American turning out world class gun smiths who can go get an apprenticeship with a custom gun maker at age 18.

Even still our education system doesn't really do a good job in giving people skills to make it on their own, and what do you do after HS? No one has learned anything to where they can go get a career with afterwards. You almost always have to then attend some secondary education even if its learning a trade. I took shop class and all that in HS. Did an internship with a performance car shop for HS credits. But it's not even close to some of the stuff being done elsewhere.

Back to this youth being the problem thing that always crops up from time to time. As I said its not the youth we are spending well over a trillion on a year in entitlement spending. PELL grants are a fraction of SS and Medicare spending. Even the VA, which is paying out GI Bill benefits, amounts to about 2 weeks of SS and Medicare spending. It's simply impossible to say youth have a bigger entitlement mentality than any other generation, and within the budget itself that's not who is hogging up all the money. IF we are going to spend the money at all, youth would be a lot better allocation of the funds. Old people are basically not going to contribute to society anymore. May be callous to say it...but old people are at the end of the road, and we throw well over a trillion a year at people who are on the way out while barely spending anything on people who have their entire adult life in front of them. Yes I know a lot of money is spent on education but it pales in comparison, and even then its not spent very effectively. I've railed on here before about my local school district having multiple football stadiums that each cost over 20 million dollars. Our school system is just a mess, and as I said not really geared towards giving kids life skills, a trade or anything other than a ticket (diploma) to go do something else. Even then, as I understand it, most education money is state or local funding. A person here, with a house valued at around 150,000k would be paying about 1800 a year to the local school district, and then state funds collected from sales tax and such. Not sure how much money TX gets from the Feds for k-12 education but its not a big part of the funding.

So yes, I wish "traditional" American's would get off the backs of our youth, and change its tune when it comes to these types of issues. Theres a lot more people becoming angry over how much money is spent on old people, and no they didn't earn what they are being given. The money they paid in went to the current recipients of their time. The money we pay isn't sitting in savings account with our name on it. Literally goes in one door and out within days to weeks. Paying taxes is no guarentee those benefits will be around in the future, and it doesn't make it wrong to want to reduce those benefits even if a person paid into the program for 40 years. I don't know of anyone my age, or their 30's or 40's who expects SS and Medicare to be around like it is today. It's only a matter of time before they are reduced. Either by our choice or the fact we can't borrow over a trillion a year to pay for them. It would take MASSIVE tax hikes to keep paying for them, and once again its putting the cost on younger people while the beneficiaries got to skate by with what would be, by comparison, nickels on the dollar actual cost to them over their lives.

montanadave
11-10-12, 12:55
I realize Thomas Friedman is not a real popular guy around this neck of the woods, but when he's right, he's right:

"A country that invests more in its elderly than its youth, more in nursing homes than schools, will neither invent the future nor own it." (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/opinion/20friedman.html?_r=2&hp&)

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-10-12, 19:13
I don't think that the youth have a lock on being slackers. I'd say anyone that doesn't have experience in the Great Depression has some degree of entitlement to them. Baby boomers might be the worst.

On the whole education thing I don't disagree with you Belmont, but the problem is that college has become a joke, except for the asian foriegn exchange students that come here to get STEM degrees.

It starts in HS with the vast number of people not graduating or not getting the same education that you would have gotten 50 years ago.

You then go to college with 80% of the people poorly prepared, you take two years getting them to college level while in the mean time half of them half fallen of the four year track because college has become Club Med with some classes in between. Colleges compete for students based on their percived stature and how good the party life, rec center and student center are. That is a major driver of the cost of college. Office space and PhDs are cheap.

That leads to all the loans and grants- which just lead to higher college costs because no one is going to refuse Johnny and his 16 ACT score a shot at a state school only to have him crash and burn in his first algebra and composition class. Colleges keep raising tuitons and people keep paying them.

To Friedman's point, you can throw money at schools and it won't do any good. Obviuosly you need some level of support, but consider that in public schools the urban cities often have very high per pupil expenditures- often higher than a lot of suburbs. Yes, top notch Suburban schools spend a metric ass load of cash- but it is the families that make a difference. Throwing resources at kids that come from anti-intellectual back grounds isn't going to solve the problems.

KrampusArms
11-11-12, 00:10
There is only one solution to traditional Americas problem. Its really unfortunate, but people need to start dying. Thats it.

Honu
11-11-12, 02:28
I realize Thomas Friedman is not a real popular guy around this neck of the woods, but when he's right, he's right:

"A country that invests more in its elderly than its youth, more in nursing homes than schools, will neither invent the future nor own it." (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/opinion/20friedman.html?_r=2&hp&)

yeah kids cant learn anything from older folks !!!

guess you do drink the left koolaid all kids are smarter than their parents BS

yeah a radical liberal is not to popular for lots of reasons except with his followers ?

kids dont need schools they need parents and leadership that will hold the teachers accountable and fire most of them and get teachers that care about teaching not about an agenda !

homeschool has pretty much proven this point that homeschool kids come out way ahead of any other schools private or public

the reason is parents are doing the educating and they truly care about the person they are educating

these days school is a place to go get indoctrinated into the lefts believe system for the most part or go get stoned etc.
not all schools but more and more sadly
and kids can get a lot out if they want to but its not as common since we have to dumby down the whole class to the lowest kid so everyone is the same screw adv placement screw the voc tech classes that many kids used to take etc..

schools in the last 20 years are the main reason the country is where it is today !

duece71
11-11-12, 06:06
I don't think that the youth have a lock on being slackers. I'd say anyone that doesn't have experience in the Great Depression has some degree of entitlement to them. Baby boomers might be the worst.

On the whole education thing I don't disagree with you Belmont, but the problem is that college has become a joke, except for the asian foriegn exchange students that come here to get STEM degrees.

It starts in HS with the vast number of people not graduating or not getting the same education that you would have gotten 50 years ago.

You then go to college with 80% of the people poorly prepared, you take two years getting them to college level while in the mean time half of them half fallen of the four year track because college has become Club Med with some classes in between. Colleges compete for students based on their percived stature and how good the party life, rec center and student center are. That is a major driver of the cost of college. Office space and PhDs are cheap.

That leads to all the loans and grants- which just lead to higher college costs because no one is going to refuse Johnny and his 16 ACT score a shot at a state school only to have him crash and burn in his first algebra and composition class. Colleges keep raising tuitons and people keep paying them.

To Friedman's point, you can throw money at schools and it won't do any good. Obviuosly you need some level of support, but consider that in public schools the urban cities often have very high per pupil expenditures- often higher than a lot of suburbs. Yes, top notch Suburban schools spend a metric ass load of cash- but it is the families that make a difference. Throwing resources at kids that come from anti-intellectual back grounds isn't going to solve the problems.

Agree 100%. My wife and I have this converstion every once in while and she would agree as well. Kids need an educational support structure at home. If parents don't care/don't value education, no amount of money is going to help. Some kids will thrive, albeit a pretty small percentage.

Crow Hunter
11-11-12, 08:41
It is also a mindset thing as well.

A couple of years ago I was in a 5S meeting in the plant I work for. One of the discussions on the table was about an engineer in another department that had left his wallet and keys on his desk.

People were talking about how bad that was, and how it could have gotten stolen.

Then the discussion began about how we needed to make a new 5S rule that would give him a write up for doing that, to protect him.:rolleyes:

To me, as a "traditional American", if he is willing to take the chance on doing that, it is his problem if someone takes his stuff.

"New American" or Obama voter take on it is to make a new "law" to punish people to keep them from "hurting" themselves.

You hear this all the time from "progressives" in the Nanny State. Laws against guns, drugs, riding a motor cycle without a helmet, large sodas, trans fats, cheese burgers, you name it. If it might be "dangerous" we have to keep the "children" from hurting themselves.

Even if those "children" are 35 years old.

montanadave
11-11-12, 09:42
yeah kids cant learn anything from older folks !!!

guess you do drink the left koolaid all kids are smarter than their parents BS

yeah a radical liberal is not to popular for lots of reasons except with his followers ?

kids dont need schools they need parents and leadership that will hold the teachers accountable and fire most of them and get teachers that care about teaching not about an agenda !

homeschool has pretty much proven this point that homeschool kids come out way ahead of any other schools private or public

the reason is parents are doing the educating and they truly care about the person they are educating

these days school is a place to go get indoctrinated into the lefts believe system for the most part or go get stoned etc.
not all schools but more and more sadly
and kids can get a lot out if they want to but its not as common since we have to dumby down the whole class to the lowest kid so everyone is the same screw adv placement screw the voc tech classes that many kids used to take etc..

schools in the last 20 years are the main reason the country is where it is today !

Puh-leeze! And who's drinking the Kool-Aid?

Are there problems with public education? Undoubtedly. And have the teacher's unions been obstructionist towards most attempts to adopt reforms? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean every teacher is a commie looking to indoctrinate your kid.

And home-schooling, while appropriate for some, is not a viable option for many. I have a relative that was "home-schooled." Now she's panhandling after dropping her baby off on her younger sister to care for, who, incidentally, dropped out of high school to be a "stay-at-home" nanny. Yeah, that's working out just great.

"Investing" in our youth does not mean simply tossing more money at the current educational system. I equate that investment with not only financial resources, but time as well. And that includes absentee parents who have decided to abdicate their parental responsibilities and farm their kids out to daycare, schools, athletics, etc.

Let's face it. Seniors vote. Kids don't. So which group is catered to by our elected representatives?

How many hundreds of millions of dollars is Medicare going to spend giving 85-year-olds new hips, knees, or a CABG this year? Anybody think that's a great investment, particularly when we're borrowing the money to pay for it?

I'm not saying our society should throw the elderly under the bus. But if the percentage of public funds being expended on the elderly dwarfs the amount of money being spent on our children, our priorities are dangerously short-sighted and out of balance.

Mjolnir
11-11-12, 09:53
There is only one solution to traditional Americas problem. Its really unfortunate, but people need to start dying. Thats it.

Volunteering?

Raven Armament
11-11-12, 09:57
Even with the GI Bill I'm going to have to end up taking loans out to finish my degree.
I'm a little confused. I thought the GI Bill covered college 100% as long as you were in school.

montanadave
11-11-12, 10:00
Volunteering?

In the words of William Tecumseh Sherman, "If nominated, I will not accept; if drafted, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."

However, I am open to accepting a position on the selection committee. :laugh:

SMETNA
11-11-12, 10:19
However, I am open to accepting a position on the selection committee. :laugh:

Might I suggest a starting point?
http://www.iconocast.com/08-29-2012/100/Honey-Boo-Boos-mother-June-Shannon-denies-allegations-she-mocked-fiveweekold-granddaughter_0.jpg

Sent from my phone while I was on the toilet pooping

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-11-12, 10:32
I'm a little confused. I thought the GI Bill covered college 100% as long as you were in school.

Like most govt't programs, I bet the devil is in the details...

montanadave
11-11-12, 11:04
Might I suggest a starting point?
http://www.iconocast.com/08-29-2012/100/Honey-Boo-Boos-mother-June-Shannon-denies-allegations-she-mocked-fiveweekold-granddaughter_0.jpg

Sent from my phone while I was on the toilet pooping

I'll give you Mama AND Honey Boo-Boo if you'll toss in The Donald.

Belmont31R
11-11-12, 12:07

Nope, they cover up to a certain amount, and then after that you're on your own. For instance, you get $450 a month for books, and most people are spending twice that or more. My wife's books this semester were over $1200.

You don't have an unlimited amount of money to go to whatever school you want. Her tuition is $24,000 per year. No way they are paying out that much. I think my benefits are capped at around $75,000 and that includes the living expenses I'd get with the post 9/11 GI bill.

montanadave
11-11-12, 12:14
My wife's books this semester were over $1200.

Lemme guess. A stack of Mosby textbooks which all weigh about 25 lbs apiece, guaranteed to give a person scoliosis if they use the one shoulder strap carry technique?

Belmont31R
11-11-12, 12:35
Lemme guess. A stack of Mosby textbooks which all weigh about 25 lbs apiece, guaranteed to give a person scoliosis if they use the one shoulder strap carry technique?

Sociology class had six required books (one of which the prof wrote). And yeah she has to go back to her car between classes, and switch out her books. Lots of students there use the rolling cart thing like you see airline pilots and such use. Friggen crazy.

It would be cheaper to buy an Ipad, and then put all the books on there (and make them available on a PC/mac as well).

What pisses me off the most is they do revisions which change a couple things, and makes the books worthless within a year so we can't even sell them back. We have stacks of books that cost well over $100 each and can't sell them even though they are less than a year old to 3 years old. One semester they use version 8, and then next version 9 and its 99% the same book. :rolleyes:

Mauser KAR98K
11-11-12, 12:52
Sociology class had six required books (one of which the prof wrote). And yeah she has to go back to her car between classes, and switch out her books. Lots of students there use the rolling cart thing like you see airline pilots and such use. Friggen crazy.

It would be cheaper to buy an Ipad, and then put all the books on there (and make them available on a PC/mac as well).

What pisses me off the most is they do revisions which change a couple things, and makes the books worthless within a year so we can't even sell them back. We have stacks of books that cost well over $100 each and can't sell them even though they are less than a year old to 3 years old. One semester they use version 8, and then next version 9 and its 99% the same book. :rolleyes:

Belmont: Amazon is your friend. I have saved well over $150 once a semester by going to Amazon. (if you already have not).

I feel you on the new edition crap. Nice thing about my professors is that if the changes are very minor, go ahead and use the old one.

Which book was more expensive: one of the regular text books, or the one the proff wrote?

College is becoming the health care issue: getting expensive yet everyone thinks it is a "right". It is still a service that you are using someone's labor in exchange for something. Public schools in regard to K-12 is a very different matter and is enforced by the government to have kids go to school. College is a whole different matter.

To many indians wanting to be chiefs is part of the problem.

Belmont31R
11-11-12, 13:02
Belmont: Amazon is your friend. I have saved well over $150 once a semester by going to Amazon. (if you already have not).

I feel you on the new edition crap. Nice thing about my professors is that if the changes are very minor, go ahead and use the old one.

Which book was more expensive: one of the regular text books, or the one the proff wrote?

College is becoming the health care issue: getting expensive yet everyone thinks it is a "right". It is still a service that you are using someone's labor in exchange for something. Public schools in regard to K-12 is a very different matter and is enforced by the government to have kids go to school. College is a whole different matter.

To many indians wanting to be chiefs is part of the problem.

We use Amazon. I have the Amazon Student app on my phone so I can scan books, and see which place is cheaper.

Her book the prof wrote wasn't that expensive but I don't think they are even going to use it.

You're right about it becoming like HC. No one can afford it straight up so you have to look to alternative means be it gov money, loans, GI Bill, ect, yet everyone 'has' to go. Not going to go into a blame game on that as theres a bunch of factors but it explains why younger people are looking for other people to pay for it. My wife going to an expensive private school was a strategic move on our part, even though we'll have to pay back student loans, as the long term benefit makes it worth while. RN's without BSN's have a lot a harder time getting promoted, and where she got an internship they already phased out LVN's. While a lot cheaper the wait list at the community college is 5 years, anyways, so going where she is has her working 5 years sooner. 5 years of RN pay more than makes up for the loans, and as mentioned gives her a lot better promotion opportunities in the future.

montanadave
11-11-12, 13:13
My wife and I both graduated from the same state university BSN program (she was a couple of years behind me). We had so many frickin nursing textbooks stacked around here we could have used them to build a detached garage. And I don't even want to think about the money tied up in all those redundant textbooks.

Textbooks have always been a scam (and ridiculously overpriced) but, at least in my limited experience, nursing programs take it to new heights.

Oh well, back to the subject at hand, which was ...

arizonaranchman
11-12-12, 12:01
Who is John Galt?

Exactly...

This is the answer. Now that we've got a 50%+ majority of mouth-breathers as voters, we'll never take this country back via the ballot box. As Rush Limbaugh accurately describes it, Santa Claus cannot be defeated as a candidate.

Eventually the producers and us who contribute and make this country work must realize this idiocy ONLY exists because we allow it to, by enabling the looters and leaches to screw us raw because we continue to participate in this farce.

The answer? Quit. Go on Strike. Walk away and let this grotesque system collapse upon itself. Refuse to participate. It will all go to pieces in record time, going down like a house of cards.

This would be exceedingly painful, but I honestly don't see this voting populace ever correcting it. You've now officially been outnumbered. As soon as we crossed the 50.1% mark of looters vs producers we're now doomed. They've taken over without a shot being fired.

The looters breed like rats. This has been coming for a long time. Now that the he has no further concerns about re-election hold onto your a$$ cuz the mask will come off and rabid, radical leftism will be unleashed. The mouth-breathers will continue to vote themselves freebies and YOU will support them, at the point of a gun.

Welcome to the new America...