PDA

View Full Version : New Walther PPX (PIC)

C4IGrant
11-08-12, 11:30
A friend just got me this pic of the new Walther PPX.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/PPX.jpg

Nephrology
11-08-12, 11:42
Whoa. What is supposed to be different vs the PPQ?

Defaultmp3
11-08-12, 11:48
Whoa. What is supposed to be different vs the PPQ?

The new pistol is a polymer frame, hammer fired handgun.

The magazine release is frame mounted and reversible, suggesting a conventional push button release instead of the lever-style found on Walther pistols like the P99, PPS and P22 models.

The Walther PPX will also have a loaded chamber viewport, which could be very similar to the ones found on the Smith & Wesson M&P pistols.

The new PPX is said to have a consistant trigger pull, suggesting a DAO (double action only) gun. The gun is not a striker fired pistol: it is hammer fired.

source:http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/11/07/walther-ppx/

Magsz
11-09-12, 14:02
Kind of looks...like a...hipoint...

Hrm...

brickboy240
11-09-12, 14:06
Pass....I'll take the PPQ over that any day.

The hammer-fired DAO thingy is a deal killer.

-bickboy240

falnovice
11-09-12, 19:28
Interesting. It may help their market share in the USA.
But I actually like the lever style mag release.

I would rather see an AS version (decocker) of the PPQ. Or even a manual safety.

Hmac
11-09-12, 19:40
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/11/09/walther-ppx-information/

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Walther_PPX_02-600x473.jpg http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Walther_PPX_15-600x485.jpg

ColdDeadHands
11-09-12, 20:52
I too prefer the lever style mag release. And it does look a little like a hipoint.:D

11-09-12, 20:56
Being a walther, I'm sure it performs well. That being said, I believe that is one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen. Not that looks should matter, but damn...

The PPQ and PPS are both pistols that interest me. I'm not so sure about this one, being DAO.

milosz
11-09-12, 23:18
The P99 line was pretty ugly, too, IMO. The PPQ somehow got the lines more right, I guess?

I wouldn't be in the market for one anyway, but reports will be interesting just to see if the trigger is 'better' than comparable DAOs out there.

Noodles
11-09-12, 23:41
I've been following this closely as I'm rely into the PPQ.

From what I can gather this is either a stepping stone gun for users that have only ever know known Glocks, and can't fathom the German mag release.

Or it's a budget PPQ. Entry level German handgun. Like the Simga or SD line or whatever smith is calling it.

My guess is that come SHOT, there is going to be this, another PPQ variant or two, and maybe updates to the PPS line. More wouldn't surprise me.

MistWolf
11-10-12, 02:45
PPX-
-Hammer fired
-DAO
-Button mag release
-Three steps backwards from the PPQ. Thank you, but no

ColdDeadHands
11-10-12, 03:41
PPX-
-Hammer fired
-DAO
-Button mag release
-Three steps backwards from the PPQ. Thank you, but no

Those are my thoughts as well.

5pins
11-10-12, 04:33

Hrm...

LOL that was my first thought.

Hogsgunwild
11-10-12, 04:47
Strange that they would offer this configuration but I'm glad to see a quality manufacturer is making more offerings.

Seems like it would have been less work to just address the subcompact market share. Glock, H&K and S&W did.
This gives me hope that they will. That is where my money will go.

Sikiguya
11-10-12, 11:49
Following FN, having both hammer and striker models of the same gun. I still like the PPQ over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sensei
11-10-12, 15:13
Pass....I'll take the PPQ over that any day.

The hammer-fired DAO thingy is a deal killer.

-bickboy240

I hear you on the DAO issue and I prefer the PPQ. However, Walther may be OK if it is similar to a lite LEM on the HK line.

balance
11-10-12, 15:41
I hear you on the DAO issue and I prefer the PPQ. However, Walther may be OK if it is similar to a lite LEM on the HK line.

I'd like to know the trigger weight as well. It looks like it has a short length of pull for a DAO hammer fired pistol, and judging only from the pictures, it seems like it could be a shorter length of pull than an LEM equipped H&K.

The P99 line was pretty ugly, too, IMO.

This PPX has to be one of the ugliest polymer pistols I've seen, though I said that about the PPQ until it grew on me. I don't see it happening with this pistol, but if it performs well, looks wouldn't matter all that much to me.

As far as the P99, I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't put any polymer pistol in a beauty contest, but I can't think of one with better lines than a 1st gen P99.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_1242.jpg

Hmac
11-10-12, 15:56
This PPX has to be one of the ugliest polymer pistols I've seen,

Ugly pistols? Man, I can't see where that figures in in selecting a combat firearm. Besides, Glock is one of the most popular pistols on the planet.

balance
11-10-12, 16:04
I was just pointing out the obvious.

It didn't bother me when I bought my PPQ, which I though was ugly at the time.

ztug
11-10-12, 16:09
They have certainly come a long way from the PPK.:(

JW5219
11-10-12, 16:49
Being a walther, I'm sure it performs well. That being said, I believe that is one of the ugliest guns I have ever seen. Not that looks should matter, but damn...

The PPQ and PPS are both pistols that interest me. I'm not so sure about this one, being DAO.

+1 this.

Gary1911A1
11-11-12, 04:05
Between my PPQ and 99AS I'm not sure what the PPX would offer me. For LE looking for a DAO design it would give Walther a design to submit as well as having it assembled/made in the USA.

gtmtnbiker98
11-11-12, 08:41
....assembled/made in the USA.
This would be a deal killer for me.

balance
11-11-12, 09:09
They haven't made any statements about producing firearms here. They seem to have just started paying more attention to the US market. The US market seemed to be secondary to them for a long time, so I'm not sure if they would start a production facility here just yet.

Hmac
11-11-12, 09:23
For LE looking for a DAO design it would give Walther a design to submit as well as having it assembled/made in the USA.

This would be a deal killer for me.

Yeah, but look what it did for SIG.:rolleyes:

They haven't made any statements about producing firearms here. They seem to have just started paying more attention to the US market. The US market seemed to be secondary to them for a long time, so I'm not sure if they would start a production facility here just yet.

I was under the impression that Walther just wanted to be able to import and service their own firearms here, borne of dissatisfaction with S&W's performance in that arena. OTOH, if there ever is a UN treaty that bans importation of firearms...maybe the US market is too big to ignore. OTOH, firearm ownership is under assault here in the US. Maybe this is the worst time possible to invest in a major firearms manufacturing endeavor.

Army Chief
11-11-12, 10:57
As far as the P99, I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't put any polymer pistol in a beauty contest, but I can't think of one with better lines than a 1st gen P99.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_1242.jpg

I can't believe I'm adding a "me too" to a looks remark, but the Gen1 P99 was/is certainly a well-rendered design.

AC

MrTips
11-11-12, 13:14
Initial hopes were that it was a .45-chambered or long-slide PPQ. Talk about let downs...

I'd say that it's the handgun no one asked for, but I've got to think the only reason it exists is a request from a government agency somewhere.

kmrtnsn
11-11-12, 13:35
Hammer-fired, nice! We should be soliciting for handgun replacements soon and hammer-fired was a criteria the last go-round. Now, if they'd put the S&W name on it, make it a .40S&W, and put the paddle mag release back on the frame we'd have a worthy contender.

LowandLeft
11-11-12, 18:11
Ya, sorry there's nothing in the PPX that interests me. Other than the Walther name, what's new or improved? It seems a step backwards more than anything.

1911-A1
11-11-12, 22:44
I can't help but think that a LOT of discussion went into the design of the takedown lever, but I can't figure out why. It seems to be very deliberately shaped, but I don't see the benefit.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-11-12, 23:56
Holy high bore axis!

How long is that firing pin? The slide area behind the chamber is longer than the barrel it seems?

Magic_Salad0892
11-12-12, 03:09
I dig the slide release on that gun.

Littlelebowski
11-12-12, 08:42
They have certainly come a long way from the PPK.:(

Yup and thankfully so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bsem
11-12-12, 08:51
Walther is calling this their "Constant Action" trigger system. Sounds like it'll be a DAO trigger with a short reset. Didn't see anything other than that. Maybe they're trying to compete with H&K's LEM trigger system.

balance
11-12-12, 10:10
Maybe they're trying to compete with H&K's LEM trigger system.

This wouldn't require them to change the mag release over to a push button release, or make a pistol with an MSRP of $499.

Walther's 99-series pistols compete with H&K's P-series pistols. This thing may have been made specifically for the US market, or maybe to compete against other lower priced hammer fired pistols for a contract somewhere.

balance
11-12-12, 11:36
This video was just found by a member on the Walther forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UsUTkpQto

6.5lb trigger pull with an MSRP of $449.

I also didn't notice this before, but it looks to have an internal extractor.

Noodles
11-12-12, 11:51
This video was just found by a member on the Walther forum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UsUTkpQto
6.5lb trigger pull with an MSRP of $449.

Says it right there, entry-level-handgun. While I don't think this will (at all) replace my PPQ. You could do a shit ton worse than this for what I expect to be $400-425 street price gun.

The quick list of worse guns: Hipoints, S&W Sigma and SD series, Most or all Taurus models, Bersa, etc etc etc. So now if the option comes down to Taurus vs Walther, I think we all expect the Walther to be the clear winner.

I think this is clearly a USA market gun with the intention of widening Walther's base. Not a bad thing.

brickboy240
11-12-12, 12:51
At that price...if it is reliable, half as accurate as the PPQ and does not toss brass at your face...I'd say it might be a contender.

You could buy tons of other pistol at that price, that are much worse.

-brickboy240

Maverick07
11-12-12, 15:08
What is the point in another Walther duty type pistol? Other than online, you can't even find the PPQ on the market. I would rather Walther focus on making the PPQ available and having better parts support than this diversion of resources and logistics.

Noodles
11-12-12, 15:32
Other than online, you can't even find the PPQ on the market.

I don't think that's exactly Walther's plan or fault. My guess is a lot is going to change in the logistics and availability regard with their own shop here. Hopefully the parts become more reasonable as well.

Maverick07
11-12-12, 15:41
I don't think that's exactly Walther's plan or fault. My guess is a lot is going to change in the logistics and availability regard with their own shop here. Hopefully the parts become more reasonable as well.

It doesn't change the fact that Walther has neither the logistics or availability of product, yet continues to push out new gear. Guessing and hope is not a good business model.

balance
11-12-12, 16:33
It doesn't change the fact that Walther has neither the logistics or availability of product, yet continues to push out new gear.

According to the video, this pistol will not be available until the first quarter of 2013. This would be after they finish setting up their new import/distribution/service center in the US.

Walther splitting from S&W and setting up shop here, is probably the biggest reason there is a shortage at the moment. It should be over by the time that Walther Arms opens it's doors in the beginning of next year, and the breakup from S&W will only happen once.

Maverick07
11-12-12, 16:44
According to the video, this pistol will not be available until the first quarter of 2013. This would be after they finish setting up their new import/distribution/service center in the US.

Walther splitting from S&W and setting up shop here, is probably the biggest reason there is a shortage at the moment. It should be over by the time that Walther Arms opens it's doors in the beginning of next year, and the breakup from S&W will only happen once.

That is probably the most relevant information I have heard regarding their product line. Thanks for something positive on this!

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-12-12, 17:29
Me likey

crusader377
11-12-12, 18:01
If Walther can maintain its typical quality and with a MSRP of $449 giving a street price in the high $300 to low $400 this pistol could be a very successful especially if it is well supported with magazines, holsters, etc...

Doc. Holiday
11-12-12, 18:07

Hrm...

+1 Not so sure I'm interested... Walther has always seemed to be the "Daisy" or "Crosman" in the firearms world for me.

graffex
11-12-12, 22:36
Hammer? No thanks. Why anyone would want a hammer fired pistol with there lousy triggers is beyond me.

Magic_Salad0892
11-13-12, 04:21
I don't think this gun looks too awful actually. I'd carry it if I was on a budget.

PlatoCATM
11-13-12, 04:41
Hammer? No thanks. Why anyone would want a hammer fired pistol with there lousy triggers is beyond me.

I'm more interested in the hammer-fired model for potential AIWB carry. No way I'm carrying AIWB with a striker-fired pistol without something like the glock gadget. If walther can maintain a nice trigger feel despite the hammer then they will have surpassed hk's LEM variance in my opinion.

Littlelebowski
11-13-12, 06:24

Since you probably are not allowed to carry in MD, you might have forgotten that riding the hammer home with your thumb as you reholster is a nice and easy safety measure. As far as the trigger, dry fire.

BocaDan
11-13-12, 06:32
Not to dis Hi-points but this thing looks just like one. Do they even do a comparative market analysis when they design these things?

Littlelebowski
11-13-12, 06:36
The amount of hand wringing over aesthetics on a training oriented gun forum reminds me of a 191 forum, any of them.

1911-A1
11-13-12, 09:22
The amount of hand wringing over aesthetics on a training oriented gun forum reminds me of a 191 forum, any of them.

Well honestly, no one has one yet, so there isn't much else to discuss about it.

Gary1911A1
11-13-12, 10:03
If Walther can maintain its typical quality and with a MSRP of $449 giving a street price in the high $300 to low $400 this pistol could be a very successful especially if it is well supported with magazines, holsters, etc...

Agree and if Walther can maintain the quality and parts holster makers will line up to get a mold of the PPX.

Striker
11-13-12, 13:55
Personally I think I'll wait until I can shoot one to decide whether or not it's worth considering. After that, we'll see how durable and reliable it is, the availability of parts and how good after market support is. Then decide whether to buy one or not. Don't really care that it's hammer fired, wouldn't care if it was SF either. Both seem to work fine for me.

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-12, 00:59

When I said "looks" I was thinking in terms of a external hammer fired DAO gun, made of polymer, with a magazine release I'm used to.

It may physically look kinda odd, that's not really an issue. Except for that weird hump on the grip. That hump is really abrupt, and could dick with how the gun would point for me.

balance
11-15-12, 05:48
The P99 and PPQ also have a "hump" on the backstrap, and the pictures in post #7 seem to show a similar grip to both of these pistols. Some people may not like the hump there, but I find that it forces me to get a higher grip when I grip the pistol.

I wouldn't worry about the ergonomics. Walther is the company that brought ergonomic grips to polymer pistols, while everyone else was making bricks and 2X4s.

What I want to know is, is the internal extractor spring loaded, or tensioned? It seems strange for any company to go with an internal extractor on a new pistol design these days.