PDA

View Full Version : Novak gold bead sight or night sights for BHP

joe scuba
02-13-08, 19:49
Hi, I am getting ready to send my FN- Browning P35 military contract Hi Power to Novaks for a set of sights. My question is which are better, a gold bead front sight or the night sights. Price is very close. I like the looks of the gold bead front sight, but have never fired a weapon with the gold bead. One hears alot about how the gold beads never lose their brightness like night sights etc. I don't plan on every selling this Hi Power so resale doen't come into play. The last Hi Power I had had a single white dot front sight with a plain black rear and it worked very well for me. So I just need some input from people who have used the gold bead front sights to give me some input as to how well they work cmpared to night sights.

Regards, Joe

Sam
02-13-08, 20:10
I have gold bead on a gun and a bunch of night sights on other guns. Their use is not interchangeable. I have plain black sighted guns which is very hard for my old eyes to see the front sight, night or day. For an inexpensive fix to make the front sight more visible, I use a dab or two of orange construction marking paint on the front sight post. This makes it much easier to pick out the sight. At night, forget the plain black sight, painted sight doesn't help either in darkness.
A set of night sight helps tremendously in shooting accurately at night or in low light. We're not talking about bullseye accuracy, we're talking about self defense accuracy, usually measured by the palm of your hand, not calipers. At the start of sunset, don't count on night sights to perform as well as when it's darker. A set of night sight in bright daylight doesn't perform any better than plain post sight. As a matter of fact painted sight works better in daylight. Even better in daylight are the fiber optics tubes. They don't perform well at night or in the dark.
A gold bead front sight is a glorified high visibility sight. I like mine. It helps me see better in bright daylight and at the on set of dusk or semi low light. The gold bead reflects any ambient light and make the front post easier to see in most condition except total darkness.
I'm comfortable with night sights or my gold bead.
Regardless of any type of sights, a flashlight is still needed in self defense to identify the target.
My most favorite carry handguns have either night sights or gold bead AND a set of Crimson Trace laser grips. That's the ticket!