PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Find A M&P Shield 9mm

GFan
11-09-12, 13:58
Looking for a 9mm Shield. Anyone know of a shop that has one that is not charging an arm & leg..? Thx

ra2bach
11-09-12, 14:04
if you can find one at all, it will cost an arm or two and a leg but I doubt you will find one. if I needed one (I don't :D), I would snag the first one I saw regardless of the price...

zander
11-09-12, 14:18
I can't even find one in stock anywhere that charges a arm & leg.

ldunnmobile
11-09-12, 15:43
They're on Gunbroker, but still really high.

Ready.Fire.Aim
11-09-12, 16:07
I'm waiting a year, classic supply and demand driving up prices (which is ok).

I went to a very large regional gunshow a couple weeks ago. I asked at a major dealer's display if they had a Shield- a salesperson said they had none for sale but she would sell me her personal used Shield for $650. Which is $200 over MSRP. No thanks.......

zander
11-09-12, 16:15

I went to a very large regional gunshow a couple weeks ago. I asked at a major dealer's display if they had a Shield- a salesperson said they had none for sale but she would sell me her personal used Shield for $650. Which is $200 over MSRP. No thanks.......

yikes

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
11-09-12, 16:39

She should slap herself silly. The sad thing is someone would buy it.

packinaglock
11-09-12, 18:13

Damn!:eek:

antlad
11-09-12, 18:47
$365 OTD at a run down shit hole ammo shop on Nov 7.
Everywhere else has a waiting list up here.

straitR
11-09-12, 19:51
GFan... Check your PM's.

Mossyrock
11-09-12, 19:56
I have seen ONE Shield for sale in the wild for $450. I got mine about a month ago after a five month wait...five month PRE-PAID wait!

Tigereye
11-09-12, 20:55
I saw a Shield this afternoon at the local Gander Mtn. I didn't look at the price.

Kokopelli
11-09-12, 21:00
Try http://www.mahoneysports.com/ Cheers.. Ron

Leonidas24
11-10-12, 01:39
I saw a Shield this afternoon at the local Gander Mtn. I didn't look at the price.

We've had ours set at $450 for as long as I've known. I'm unsure of how long our waiting list is but I know customers that have waited as short as 3 weeks before they got their gun.

BioLayne
11-10-12, 08:30
I personally kind of lucked out. After reading reviews online, I was 99% sure this was the subcompact I wanted. I went into my range to shoot one day and was browsing the guns that day for whatever reason, and right there in front of my was an M&P shield for $470. I jumped all over it. sure I had to pay $20 over MSRP but I'd rather do that than search around for months trying to find one. Afterwards I called up every LGS in the area and felt better about my purchase instantly after finding out no one in the area had one.

Brian H
11-10-12, 08:45
I was kicking myself for paying $430 when I picked up my 9mm; now I realize that's probably not the worst decision I've made. There's a store up by me that still always seems to have a few in stock even though the (bigger) shop next door is always sold out.

- Brian

Sikiguya
11-10-12, 09:00
Someone just posted one on Smith & Wesson for $450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
11-10-12, 09:03
I've been told that S&W is currently about 75,000 units backlogged on the 9mm Shield. I'd suggest deciding what your limit is for buying one, and snagging the first one you find. They're out there, just have to look.

That being said, I bought mine about 5 days after they were introduced at SHOT from my LGS. I thought I was paying too much at $399, when the LE SKU guns were going supposed to be in the $320 range. I bought it anyway. Glad I did...

NavyDavy55
11-10-12, 16:01
I bought one locally about six weeks ago for $437.00 The place had four in stock when I went in, they sold the other three before I left.

YammyMonkey
11-11-12, 00:46
If there's a Sportsman's Warehouse near you they seem to get quite a few in every week. I think I was on their waitlist for about a month & paid $420 plus tax, so not bad.

F-Trooper05
11-11-12, 02:05
If there's a Sportsman's Warehouse near you they seem to get quite a few in every week. I think I was on their waitlist for about a month & paid $420 plus tax, so not bad.

My Sportsman's has about a dozen 9's and 40's in stock for $420.

Bogart
11-13-12, 16:53
If there's a Lawmen's near you you can get on a waiting list. I've got about 20 people ahead of me on the list at the Lawmen's in Charlotte. I was number 40ish in early August...they're slowly getting to my name. They're $324+tax there.

CoopScoop
11-20-12, 16:36
I asked the salesperson at my local Academy Sports about The Shield. They have it in their system for $399, but he told me they've never had them in stock for more than a few hours. He told me to call every morning and come over right away if they happened to have one. The other salesman at the counter said he has never seen one in there!

Lucky Strike
11-20-12, 17:56
Been looking for one locally with no luck. A smaller gunshop this morning said they made a big S&W order (well big for them) and was allowed two Shields to their order due to the dollar amount.

THey said you can't just order shields, you have to make big S&W orders and then they'll let you have some shields.

Anyway my friend happened to be there a the right place/time and got our names attached to the two shields. Worked out perfectly as I wanted a 9mm and he wanted a 40 and that's what they're getting

They should be here after Thanksgiving. Only scary thing is they didn't know what the price would be (said they'd have to see the invoice when they get their big shipment in first).....if it's higher then $450 I'm likely going to pass on it.

Kirkrv8
11-21-12, 11:00
Hey Guys,
The Sportsmans Shop in New Holland, Pa has an M&P Shield in 9mm
On the shelf as of 10:00am today for 429.00
I would have picked it up myself but I really like my G19.
Hope it helps

clarkz71
11-21-12, 11:37
Excuse my not knowing about these as a Glock guy but
what is it about the S&W Shield that makes them so hot.

I remember back in the day it was the Seecamps.

Deputy Dan
11-21-12, 11:44
I am a Glock guy as well, but the Shield is far easier to conceal (it is about an inch wide at it's widest point).

I have a Shield in .40 and it is every bit as accurate as my issued G23 and my back up G27.

P.S. Looks like they are beau coup backordered. For the LEOs here, Atlantic Tactical (atlantictactical.com) has LE only pricing for the Shield at $319.95... but they are backordered until Summer 2013.

clarkz71
11-21-12, 11:55
Wow, that is a supply issue. Must be a nice piece.

IdahoRenegade
11-21-12, 12:00
I had been looking for about 6 months and had never even seen one. Finally gave up and went into a local shop to buy a LC9 for ccw. As we're filling out the 4733 the owner comes out and says "Attention Staff, we have Shields". I got the 1st one, my buddy the 2nd. They were sold out again in about 2 days. $449.

BTW, great little gun. Carries well and (by my limited handgunning standards) shoots really well for a small CCW.

medicth
11-21-12, 13:12
I believe there is a 40 shield in the swap meet on lightfighter right now. Can't remember who posted it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

C4IGrant
11-21-12, 13:54
Excuse my not knowing about these as a Glock guy but
what is it about the S&W Shield that makes them so hot.

I remember back in the day it was the Seecamps.

Size, accuracy, reliability, trigger, etc.

C4

clarkz71
11-21-12, 14:10

C4

May have to give one a look for the wife.

tb-av
11-21-12, 15:08

C4

Grant what do you think of the Shield compared to your PPS in regards to overall ease of shooting/handling and accuracy?

C4IGrant
11-21-12, 15:34
Grant what do you think of the Shield compared to your PPS in regards to overall ease of shooting/handling and accuracy?

The PPS is a more accurate gun IMHO, but the trigger is not nearly has good and has little after market support.

C4

Sensei
11-21-12, 16:20
I just purchased one at a local gun store 2 days ago. Personally, I'm not seeing all the hype on the factory trigger. The uptake is very gritty and the break is right at 6 lbs. The reset is an improvement over my previous M&P's, but it is nowhere near as distinct as a Glock or PPQ.

Fortunately, Apex makes a trigger upgrade kit that should address most of these deficiencies.

C4IGrant
11-21-12, 17:09
I just purchased one at a local gun store 2 days ago. Personally, I'm not seeing all the hype on the factory trigger. The uptake is very gritty and the break is right at 6 lbs. The reset is an improvement over my previous M&P's, but it is nowhere near as distinct as a Glock or PPQ.

Fortunately, Apex makes a trigger upgrade kit that should address most of these deficiencies.

With some buffing of the trigger bar, striker block and sear, you can drop between .5-1LBS from the pull weight.

I am not so sure that a hard reset is actually a good, but that is for another discussion.

C4

Delta_co
11-21-12, 20:07
Got mine at Cabelas when they first came out. Cost $429 out the door.

LowandLeft
11-25-12, 22:58
Wow, I'm officially nuts. I literally had a dream last night that I walked into my local shop just as a 9mm Shield came in and I bought it. I got so excited that I woke myself up. :blink: Issues...

Anyway, in my local area (NE Washington. Spokane is the biggest city) the shops haven't seen a Shield in three months. That includes Cabelas! I'm hoping that I can get one from G&R, but I'm afraid to know how long the waiting list is. Any online tips? Thanks!

nimdabew
11-26-12, 09:57
.40's in stock at Buds

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/82837/S%26W+M%26P40SHIELD+40+3.1+67R+Black

Salamander
11-27-12, 22:58
At least you guys have an outside chance. Availability date for the California compliant version keeps slipping, first to November, now to December (as of a few days ago). As for the odds of finding one on the shelf for quite a while after that... yeah, right. Now that everyone seems to be in post-election day sky-is-falling mode I don't expect that to get better anytime soon.

So... I'm not going to worry about it. When I see one, maybe I'll buy one, if that's in six months or a year that's OK. Stressing out over it won't do any good.

IdahoRenegade
11-27-12, 23:13
Wow, I'm officially nuts. I literally had a dream last night that I walked into my local shop just as a 9mm Shield came in and I bought it. I got so excited that I woke myself up. :blink: Issues...

Anyway, in my local area (NE Washington. Spokane is the biggest city) the shops haven't seen a Shield in three months. That includes Cabelas! I'm hoping that I can get one from G&R, but I'm afraid to know how long the waiting list is. Any online tips? Thanks!

Center Target in Post Falls had them about 3 weeks ago, that's where I got mine. Can't imagine they didn't sell out though.

LowandLeft
11-28-12, 19:59
I found Shields in .40 here. At time of writing they have 30 in stock! Too bad I'm looking for a 9mm

http://sgcusa.com/handguns/s-w-m-p/s-w-m-p-shield-40s-w.html

Cheers!

sobiloff
11-29-12, 18:04
At least you guys have an outside chance. Availability date for the California compliant version keeps slipping, first to November, now to December (as of a few days ago). As for the odds of finding one on the shelf for quite a while after that... yeah, right. Now that everyone seems to be in post-election day sky-is-falling mode I don't expect that to get better anytime soon.

Just bring one in via a FFL07 and the single shot exemption. Besides, who really wants the State-mandated gizmos anyway?

Salamander
11-29-12, 19:05
Just bring one in via a FFL07 and the single shot exemption. Besides, who really wants the State-mandated gizmos anyway?

I've let several of these suggestions pass because I know people mean well. But it's apparently time to explain why I'm not rushing right out to do this:

1) For reasons I'd rather not go into here, I need to hold myself to a higher regulatory standard than most people. Basically, I need to set a good example at the community level. Acquiring guns through a technically/probably legal loophole is still likely to be perceived by some as an ethical gray area, or a way of circumventing the system. Not a problem for many people, but you'll just need to take my word for it, better if I don't go there.

2) Why would I want to rush out and buy a gun at a premium, plus add the cost of the FFL upcharge, to buy a gun that I will eventually be able to buy over the counter and, eventually, probably under MSRP? To put it bluntly, by doing the feeding frenzy, by acting like kids on Christmas morning, all you guys are doing is driving up prices for all of us. The only people who benefit are the manufacturers, they must love this. What's the big hurry, anyway? I can only carry one (or two) guns at a time, and I already own five, not counting rifles. And spending extra just to have it right now is, in this case, somehow offensive to my business school/economics training.

3) The Shield is apparently difficult to get in most parts of the country. I can just wait a month of two, and it will be the same situation here as everywhere else, available but hard to find. Again, what's the big rush?

4) If in spite of the above for some reason I wanted to do a single shot exemption, I'd do it for a gun that is not expected to be available in California anytime soon, if ever. For example, a P30... it appears that HK hates the State of California and isn't stooping to the silly rules on any of their newest guns. S&W, on the other hand is so far choosing to play the game on many of their various models. We are, after all, the eighth largest economy in the world after Italy (down from #5 pre-recession), so California matters more for the high-quantity mass market manufacturers than it might for the high-end, low-volume outfits like HK.

Hopefully that explains my philosophy on this issue, and I'm guessing there are others who for various reasons also choose not to follow this pathway. So please, don't assume it's the standard answer for everyone.

brushy bill
11-29-12, 19:18
I've let several of these suggestions pass because I know people mean well. But it's apparently time to explain why I'm not rushing right out to do this:

1) For reasons I'd rather not go into here, I need to hold myself to a higher regulatory standard than most people. Basically, I need to set a good example at the community level. Acquiring guns through a technically/probably legal loophole is still likely to be perceived by some as an ethical gray area, or a way of circumventing the system. Not a problem for many people, but you'll just need to take my word for it, better if I don't go there.

2) Why would I want to rush out and buy a gun at a premium, plus add the cost of the FFL upcharge, to buy a gun that I will eventually be able to buy over the counter and, eventually, probably under MSRP? To put it bluntly, by doing the feeding frenzy, by acting like kids on Christmas morning, all you guys are doing is driving up prices for all of us. The only people who benefit are the manufacturers, they must love this. What's the big hurry, anyway? I can only carry one (or two) guns at a time, and I already own five, not counting rifles. And spending extra just to have it right now is, in this case, somehow offensive to my business school/economics training.

3) The Shield is apparently difficult to get in most parts of the country. I can just wait a month of two, and it will be the same situation here as everywhere else, available but hard to find. Again, what's the big rush?

4) If in spite of the above for some reason I wanted to do a single shot exemption, I'd do it for a gun that is not expected to be available in California anytime soon, if ever. For example, a P30... it appears that HK hates the State of California and isn't stooping to the silly rules on any of their newest guns. S&W, on the other hand is so far choosing to play the game on many of their various models. We are, after all, the eighth largest economy in the world after Italy (down from #5 pre-recession), so California matters more for the high-quantity mass market manufacturers than it might for the high-end, low-volume outfits like HK.

Hopefully that explains my philosophy on this issue, and I'm guessing there are others who for various reasons also choose not to follow this pathway. So please, don't assume it's the standard answer for everyone.

From my perspective, it would be well if all manufacturers stopped bowing to the silly restrictions in the non-free states. This would compel the gun owners on the fence or the wrong side of the fence in those areas to become politically active. It would also ensure that "reasonable" restrictions didn't become mainstream and preclude us from seeing abortions such as shortened firing pins and certain versions of gun locks from showing up in our areas.

Salamander
11-29-12, 19:35
From my perspective, it would be well if all manufacturers stopped bowing to the silly restrictions in the non-free states. This would compel the gun owners on the fence or the wrong side of the fence in those areas to become politically active. It would also ensure that "reasonable" restrictions didn't become mainstream and preclude us from seeing abortions such as shortened firing pins and certain versions of gun locks from showing up in our areas.

Friends in the legislature tell me that the original intent of the California regs was to make it difficult to buy cheap Saturday night specials. Unfortunately it hasn't had that effect, there are still plenty of cheap California-legal guns on the market. Instead it's tended to be the higher quality, higher margin guns that become unavailable.

I don't want to get too far off topic here, maybe someday I'll give it some more thought and start a new thread on this. No time to do the necessary research in the near future though. For now, just know that there are a number of carefully thought out legal challenges already working their way through the California court system including a challenge to the DOJ approved list.

ra2bach
11-29-12, 20:20
Clydes Armory in Athens GA had them earlier last week. I found out about this and sent my friend over. he said they had a few left after he got his...

Travelingchild
12-03-12, 19:04
Well after 8 months the Shield in 9mm came in to my local gun shop.Funny thing after the wait I actually could care less, wanting vs having.
$420 plus tax I only picked up and paid for it because I ordered it way back when..
Bright side Both my bosses (partnership) want it and are currently in a bidding war for it.. :sarcastic:

Tds
12-03-12, 20:52
I had to pay msrp to get one. I don't regret doing so at all.

BioLayne
12-03-12, 22:42
I had to pay msrp to get one. I don't regret doing so at all.

same here