PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews of DD's revamped line of DDM4 rifles?

Chris17404
11-09-12, 15:47
Hi all,

Now that Daniel Defense's newly-revamped line of DDM4 rifles are hitting the shelves, does anyone have a review or opinions on the new features? Including new style front sight, new DDM4 rail, optimized gas port, new flash hider? Thanks.

Chris

JJay03
11-09-12, 22:17
I have a new DDM4 but never shot an old one either. Whats different about the gas port?

Blak1508
11-09-12, 22:39
I bought a V1 in August and I bought the older one but I have the new upper newer lower with the markings, newer barrel, old front sight Omega rail , and A2 flash hinder... I kinda got a hybrid I was told by DD that the rifle I bought was only made like that for a month and a half, inbetween the transition from older model to newer.... I also was told that mine had a newer optimized gas system but sorry I have no idea what this means as it is my first AR I know the newer M4 rail is lower profile, lighter and the bottom rail has a wide first notch... I think the newer flash hinder is just DD's version of the A2.

I personally like the older Omega rail, but I like how the new one bolts up. So it's really a matter of preference, both rifles are great, I'm enjoying mine very much . You cannot really go wrong with DD.

Chris17404
11-16-12, 08:05
No one else has any reviews or thoughts on these new rifles?

Blak1508
11-16-12, 08:26
It's empty because everyone and their mother knows that the DD is one of the best AR-15's on market... You will be impressed beyond expectation .... Nuff said.

Split66
11-16-12, 08:43
Yeah nothing bad to say/new to add after a good bit of trigger time on the v7. Not a huge fan of the MFR12, gets hot as a M uthaF @#$@ R, and the rail sections and how they attach is not optimal IMHO, but that's me. All those issues can be easily mitigated. Otherwise the gun is light and wieldy, and a fine piece of weaponry that runs like a "raped ape".

halfkorean
11-16-12, 21:18
Are there any post on the upgrades that were done by Daniel Defense? How do you tell the difference between the old version and the new version? I tried searching but couldn't find any post on the topic. Thanks.

Blak1508
11-17-12, 00:15
I stated out the upgrades in an above post, new flash hinder, new M4 rail as opposed to the OMEGA, new markings on upper, newer barrel, so called newly optimized gas system, new front sight post. Look at the old version and then new you will notice how the newer model rail bolts on. Also you can tell the difference in the rail itself, the first attachment point is wider then the older, also the new M4 rail has 4 female QD attachment points front both sides and rear both sides, the older rail has 2 on both sides on rear. The newer rail is lighter but I am not sure how much same with the barrel. Personally I like the omega rail better but the bolt up of the new M4 better. Bolt carrier, stock, trigger, trigger guard all the same.

Redbeardsong
11-17-12, 05:25
I haven't shot them, but in handling them I love the new changes.

The new DDm4 rail is my favorite part. The width is narrow, like the old Omega X rail, but the bottom of the rail is closer to the barrel than the top, like the Mk18 RIS II or Larue rail. It feels a lot smaller in the hand, and works well for those who like a thumb-over grip. It also has two QD socket on each side.

The front sight base is completely new as well. It's a piece of art, with machined scallops on the back to reduce glare, and no bayonet lug or sling mount below the barrel to get in the way of rails.

Psybain
11-17-12, 06:05
I've never held the old ddm4s, but I love the V1 I got in august. the rail system is nice and compact, and like redbeardsong mentioned, it's perfect for a thumb-over grip, even with my small-medium hands. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it shipped with a standard A2 pistol grip, but that is changed easy enough.