PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting failure to extract

Tarheel
11-09-12, 21:03
I'm trying to trouble shoot a failure to extract condition I experienced last week and I'm not sure what to make of the info I have.

I was practicing with a Gen 2 G19 and some new mags by putting 5 rds of 3 different brands of ammo through each mag on the same drill - only 5 rds at a time. The ammo was Blazer Brass 124, AE 147 and HST 147. On 3 of the mags with the HST the 4th round was not extracted and the nose of the 5th round was lodged into the case head of the 4th round. This only happened w/ the HST and it was consistently on rounds 4 & 5. It also happened on rounds 2 & 3 of a 3 round test.

The same mags and HST ammo did not do this in a different Gen 2 G19. The gun was fairly dirty for me, having about 400 rds since the last cleaning. It's clean now but haven't' had a chance to retest yet.

I'm fairly new at this so any ideas would be appreciated.

ST911
11-09-12, 23:45
Gun detail cleaned recently?
Extractor condition? (Chipped claw?)
Mags are new, as in not new to you, but out of the store? Which followers?

5pins
11-10-12, 04:39
The only time I have had extraction issues with my gen 2 19 was when the recoil spring needed replacing.

Tarheel
11-10-12, 13:28
Gun detail cleaned recently?
Extractor condition? (Chipped claw?)
Mags are new, as in not new to you, but out of the store? Which followers?

- Detailed clean earlier this summer. It still had some of the copper colored lubricant from GLOCK.

- I don't see any chips in the extractor.

- Mags are new this past spring, the new gen 4 type with follower #6.

Wouldn't this type of malfunction have to mean that the extractor never had a grip on the rim?