PDA

View Full Version : WHICH AK ?

skipper49
02-13-08, 22:24
I currently have a YUGO u/f that I like a lot. I'm looking to get a second AK in a fixed stock and am looking at a YUGO for $420 or the VECTOR for about $530. The VECTOR is a nice, high quality AK, but with the heavy built (which I like) YUGO I would have commonality of spare parts with my current one. The YUGO is not chrome lined and the VECTOR is, but in an AK that's not a deal breaker for me. Which way would you lean? Anyone here have either or both?
Thanks for any ideas.

Skip

Jay Cunningham
02-14-08, 05:15
It'ssort of personal preference but I would go with the Vector.

"Parts commonality" doesn't really apply, and a chrome barrel/chamber is important to me in a fighting gun. Also, you may very well like the heavier receiver but it's not really doing anything for you.

skipper49
02-14-08, 05:44
Thanks Thekatar. Can't argue with those points, but are things like firing pins and extractors the same in the Yugo as the Vector? I was thinking they were different. Very good point about the weight. I probably needed to hear that as I tend toward "overkill" in most everything. I also just don't hear anything bad about the Vectors.
Thanks,
Skip

rob_s
02-14-08, 06:16
I wound up with a Lancaster (http://atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=446) after speaking with Blaine from www.atlanticfirearms.com. I called him up, told him what I wanted to do with the gun, we went over a couple of options, and wound up agreeing that the Lancaster was the best solution for me. It helped that I was in front of the computer when I was talking with him so that I could look at the various options.

Here's a pic of mine, FWIW. I added an extended safety, an Ergo grip, and a Vtac sling.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_1917cropped.jpg

TOrrock
02-14-08, 07:10
I have an original underfolder Yugoslavian import from 1989, all Yugo, and I have a Vector built Polish underfolder.

I prefer the Vector for a serious rifle. Lighter weight, hard chrome lined barrel.

skipper49
02-14-08, 19:46
Nice carbine rob. I've only heard good things about Blaine and Atlantic. I had not really thought about the Lancaster and I also see the Bulgarian on Atlantic's site that really looks good, but with it we're back to the weight of the Yugo, but w/o the "goofy" stuff like the grenade launcher sight and related apparatus.
One reason "heavy duty" kind of appeals is that I see this as my (as Boston says) "end of the world rifle". Yes, we gunnys are a wierd bunch.
Both the Vector and Lancaster seem good, PRACTICAL choices for my purposes.
Thanks,
Skip