PDA

View Full Version : Barrel makers

TacticalSledgehammer
11-10-12, 07:11
I'm wanting to build some kind of precision minded AR-15 but am hung up on barrel makers. From these brands which would you pick and why? Lothar Walther, Noveske, Rainier's Ultra Match, or??

I'm looking for an ideally medium or heavy barrel not bull and 18-20"

Thanks for any replies

BrigandTwoFour
11-10-12, 12:17
Take your pick, they are all going to be outstanding shooters. It is very easy to get hung up on barrel x vs barrel y. The reality is that there really is only so much that can be done to make a barrel accurate, and all the ones you have (among many others) do those steps.

You will have fanboys for every one, so pick whichever fits your budget and specs best and go from there.

I would also look at the SS410 series from BCM as well as the DMR/MK-12 barrels from Centurion arms. Figure out what kind of ammo you want to shoot, and order accordingly. BCM uses the S-DMR chamber spec, Centurion uses MK262, and the others you mention typically use a Wylde chamber spec. All three are great performers, but may perform better with different ammo.

You should also apply the right twist rate to your ammo. 1/8 will probably be the most useful for things you will shoot, but is by no means the only way to go.

mic2377
11-10-12, 13:22
Also, take a look at Nordic Components for barrels. They have a really nice 18" rifle-gas barrel that is a medium profile and Wylde chamber. I have one on my 3 gun rifle, and it is consistently sub-MOA for me with 52-75 gr loads. It was fairly lightweight as well, not something that can be said for many of the "SPR" style barrels. These barrels are extremely popular with 3-gunners who are looking for the lower felt recoil of the rifle gas system coupled with an accurate barrel that is not too heavy to be running around with.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-11-12, 08:41
I'll be sure check them both out.
I only thought bcm made pretty much milspec carbine/rifle barrels. I never thought of them making match grade stuff. I've never heard of nordic either. Thanks for the info fellers!

BrigandTwoFour
11-11-12, 21:06
I'll be sure check them both out.
I only thought bcm made pretty much milspec carbine/rifle barrels. I never thought of them making match grade stuff. I've never heard of nordic either. Thanks for the info fellers!

BCM's SS410 barrels are chambered with the SAM-R spec, which is a military specification. It is similar to the .223 Wylde chamber, but leaning a little bit more to the 5.56 side (at least that's my understanding).

There are several guys around here that run them. I have seen Grant state that they are some of the most accurate barrels on the market.

The Centurion barrels are the same ones you will find on the military MK-12 rifle. Very accurate, very durable. Monty, the proprietor of Centurion, is active duty cool guy .mil and knows how to build fantastic weapons.

Again, nothing wrong with the ones you posted above, either. Noveske has a huge following, and I'm using a Rainier Ultramatch on my .308 build that is in the works. Every one of these barrels is more accurate than me or just about anyone else but the most awesome precision shooters. Unless you are planning on strapping the thing down into a vice and really testing, you won't notice a difference between them.

mic2377
11-12-12, 07:45
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159751&hl=%2Bnordic+%2Bbarrel

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156689&hl=+nordic%20+barrel#entry1752463

Enjoy some info here. Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the mil-spec dimensions of WOA or Nordic barrels, except that I know mine chambered in 223 Wylde runs everything reliably.

My real advice would be to decide how much you'll be carrying the rifle. Some of the SPR profile barrels are quite heavy, a primary reason I didn't choose MK12 profile barrel.

Really though, it would be hard to go wrong with choosing any of these barrels. I am sure they are all exceptionally accurate, it is more a matter of choosing profile and gas system length.

Firefox
11-12-12, 14:27
I would try out some of white oak armament's barrels. As someone who's first precision rifle was built on a WOA SS barrel I am more than happy with how the barrel shoots given quality ammo. I've had some great sub-moa groups with the rifle and can take it out to 600 and beyond without any problems on a consistent basis. But as others have said, the mk12 profile it sports is heavier than other barrels on the market. I personally don't find it to be a big deal but something to think about if you plan on lugging it around all day.

eesmith4
11-13-12, 16:47
I have the BCM MK12 Mod 0 upper with their SS410R bbl on my SPR, it's an amazing tack driver with 77 or 75 gr OTM. I have no problem putting MK 262 in groups that I can easily cover with my palm at my range, which lasers 607 yards to the steel.

I believe the BCM barrels are from Criterion, which is Krieger's in-house button rifled division.

Sticks
11-16-12, 03:59
I just completed my Mk12 assembly with a Mk12 barrel from Centurion.

Vltor MUR upper, PRS stock, MI Gen2 15" tube, PSA lower, Magpul Gen2 BUIS. No mag, no optic, the weight came in at 9.2#

Optic and mag I suspect will push me into the 11 - 12# range.

skywalkrNCSU
11-16-12, 16:25
In my research I couldn't find a reason to get a Noveske over Ranier, bother seem to shoot better than I will be able to

polymorpheous
11-16-12, 16:40
I believe the BCM barrels are from Criterion, which is Krieger's in-house button rifled division.

The industry's best kept secret.

TehLlama
11-16-12, 21:41
I can't come close consistently to maxing out the ability of the Centurion source Douglas BR unit on my DMR upper, the very similar HCS, or the BCM unit are just as highly thought of, likely for good reason. Noveske is obviously always a premier option, and KAC's LPR if you want a complete precision rifle from them.

On the budget side, WOA or the Rainier UltraMatch are probably the go-to options.

skywalkrNCSU
11-17-12, 07:05
The industry's best kept secret.

Apparently, I need to do some more research now lol

DRT
11-22-12, 08:42
I have a 20", 1:7, .223 wylde, douglas SS match barrel turned/chambered by CLE (Frank White). I'm very happy with it. I've been able to regularly get .9MOA 10 shot groups using 5.56mm-pressure 75gr handloads. It's been 100% reliable and handles full 5.56mm pressure loads without any issues. When I shoot this one out, I'll replace it with a krieger version built by CLE to the same spec's.

Biggy
11-22-12, 11:02
In my research I couldn't find a reason to get a Noveske over Ranier, bother seem to shoot better than I will be able to

Same here. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=809

The_Hammer_Man
12-04-12, 02:20
Interesting tiddle bit of info for you gents...

I don't know if they still are doing them.. but as of 2 yrs ago WOA was cutting to spec for Rainier.

Which is one of the reasons I use either Criterion or WOA barrels in most of my builds when a client specifies a SS barrel.

My CMCL budget precision builds utilize customized Green Mountain rifle barrels. My personal 18" SPR build uses one of GM's barrels cut to 18.7. 1/2 moa all day with 55vmax up to 77gr smk's.

Word up though.. it HATES 55 hardball and barely tolerates SS109's :)