PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR15 help in I.D.??

Sportdog7
11-10-12, 13:09
Guys I lost my brother back in April and as a result I now have 5 of his guns. I'm gun savvy with all of them except this Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II serial # SP 32****. The shooting range manager where I shoot says all internals in the lower and upper are Colt and that the gun is pre ban. the upper he says looks to be a 6500 carbine, but there is no shell deflector? I never shot an AR and was gonna sell it but yesterday I tried it out and its a great gun very light & accurate. So I'll be keeping it. I hope these pic's will help I.D. just what model I have, the range mgr. thinks it could be a rare duck. Any help would be most welcome.

Split66
11-10-12, 13:47
It looks like a "transistional" Colt 6420. Seems there was a period in the mid 80s where the Colts had the A2 lower and A1 sights. There is a vintage AR section of this forum, you can post the pics there for more expert analysis. Also there is a guy named Scotty Ryan who lurks this board who knows his shit when it comes to old ponies, he would be the guy to ask about rarity/worth and the like. In addition to that, you can use the orange search button up top, I found this thread which might shed some light.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90425

Airhasz
11-10-12, 13:53
Op, sorry about your loss, keep the colt in the family!

Split66
11-10-12, 15:09
Yes and sorry for your loss. I'd hang onto all of his guns, I let some of my dads guns go years ago after he passed and have regreted it since.

JJay03
11-10-12, 15:40
Looks like its in nice shape I would hang on to it also.

Bmoe
11-10-12, 20:07
OP sorry about your brother. You have a very clean Colt there, don't let it get away. People really like the SP1's with the non fenced lowers.

Sportdog7
11-10-12, 22:08
Thanks for your input, I was very close to selling it because when got it I said I have enough rifles, but after all the offers I got when I brought it to the range. I said to myself I'm gonna have to put some rounds through this old AR15 A2 and find out why everyone wants this gun. Now I know! And its staying right here! Its a light, ammo is very affordable to shoot and accurate with just the iron sights.

I could see a scope on this gun soon, is that what most here do or do you stay with the standard sights?

If I decide to use a scope how is it mounted and what hardware is needed or is there a commercial scope mounting kit available?

I sure am glad the range manager told me about this site, I'll save some time & money on mods for the AR.

AKDoug
11-10-12, 22:23
That rifle brings back some good memories back in the late 80's when my best friend and I, fresh out of high school, bought a pair of the same rifles. If it were me I would just shoot it with the fixed sights. The scope mounts available for that rifle just look like crap and really don't work well in my opinion.

Sportdog7
11-10-12, 22:44
Well it was just a thought, I guess its one of those things that can wait.

Is there a shooting supply dealer that deals with AR15 add ons? The reason I ask it I've tried a few like Midway and, I admit I don't know the terminology or gun speak when it comes to the Colt AR15 but it sure seems hard to find parts and be assured they are the right parts for this model. Any recommended sites come to mind?

AKDoug
11-11-12, 00:04
There are a ton of sponsors of this website that can likely help. However, you have a much older rifle that really doesn't take many upgrades like a more modern M4 copy. The only scope mount available for that fixed carrying handle is one that mounts on top of the handle. It puts the scope way up high and a real pain to shoot. With the handicap of the fixed carrying handle I cannot think of many upgrades that would be worth while.

Sportdog7
11-11-12, 00:54
Thanks, I'll just enjoy it as is then.

JohnnyC
11-11-12, 08:34
Really, if you enjoy shooting it, and think you might want to change things, keep that one just the way it is and buy a new gun that you can do whatever you want to. Spend the grand on a Colt 6920 and go as wild as you want.

Moonlight Again
11-11-12, 08:54
Sportdog:

Like everyone else, my condolences on your loss. Losing family makes me feel really alone.

As for the rifle, like everyone else I'm going to urge you to keep it the way it is. The rifles I grew up calling "CAR-15s" are a handy, nifty little package---almost like an AR version of a Winchester 94 carbine. Then get something more modern to keep it company.

Sportdog7
11-11-12, 12:28
Yeah your all making good points here about just keeping it stock. I really like the compact, lightweight style of this gun. I can now better understand why he bought the gun new years ago and decided to never part with it.

Its so versitale!

One question I was at a shop yesterday and they offer a conversion kit that allows you to replace the bolt assembly and shoot 22LR in the gun. The kit came with a mag and all needed parts for less than 20.00, anyone try one of these, or just leave well enough alone?

bodhisattva
11-12-12, 18:32
There is a lot to be said about the beauty of simplicity in a rifle like yours, OP. I say get a nice sling and leave it as is.

One question I was at a shop yesterday and they offer a conversion kit that allows you to replace the bolt assembly and shoot 22LR in the gun. The kit came with a mag and all needed parts for less than 20.00, anyone try one of these, or just leave well enough alone?

Conversion kits like that aren't known for their accuracy and I could never get mine to run well but it is awfully hard to beat blasting .22lr in terms of fun and it is even harder to ignore that price point.