PDA

View Full Version : Crazy day in Colorado

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-10-12, 18:47
Downtown commuter college- Police shoot and kill a guy after he attacks them with a sword

http://www.9news.com/news/article/298885/339/Officer-injured-suspect-killed-at-Auraria-Campus?odyssey=obinsite

You can see the Japanese style sword in the video...

There was recently an armed mugging two blocks from my house in a little park. We have break-ins, but not muggings around here. I take my kids to that park and fly my model airplanes there. Wouldn't they be surprised....

austinN4
11-10-12, 19:19
Never ever take a knife, or a sword in this case, to a gun fight.

LHS
11-11-12, 00:18
His finger was 'slightly severed'? Isn't that like 'slightly pregnant'?

SteyrAUG
11-11-12, 00:54
And they thought legal weed wouldn't be a problem.

:D

GeorgiaBoy
11-11-12, 01:07
How does having a cut up hand and a "possibly" missing finger put you in critical condition?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Spiffums
11-11-12, 06:45
So was it too much Walking Dead or are they still blaming all sword related stuff on Highlander and World of Warcraft? :haha:

Caeser25
11-11-12, 12:25
We need more regulation of assault swords. People shouldn't be allowed to just walk around with weapons of war, these things belong on the battlefield. They serve no purpose in your kitchens or for hunters. I think we need to enact common sense sword laws.

Sensei
11-11-12, 12:36
How does having a cut up hand and a "possibly" missing finger put you in critical condition?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The hand was probably not his only injury.

Belmont31R
11-11-12, 12:46
Crime has been going up a lot here, and getting more bizarre. Just this year we've had at least 2 OIS's with dead perps, odd random high speed chases, a lot more drug busts, and just crime in general. When we moved here it was a nice city about 35k people. In just 5 years are are north of 60k, and not slowing down at all. Figure by the time we get through school it will be a good time to go find another town about 15-30k people, and live there until it gets like this.

Where I grew up went from less than 10k to over 130k in about 10 years. Became a miserable traffic infested shit hole. I like a town big enough where you don't know everyone but small enough you don't get big city problems.

One of of the OIS's was a week or so ago. Guy took a woman hostage, swat called, and the guy went full retard shooting out the front door in an apartment complex. Thankfully no one other than the perp was shot (and killed).

Jer
11-11-12, 13:02
And they thought legal weed wouldn't be a problem.

Post #4. What took so long? :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-11-12, 15:26
BH123 PM'd me since he doesn't have the post count for the GD.

Here is something even crazier for you. That sword is a replica of one that is in a Japanese anime called Bleach. You can tell by the shape of the guard and the chain at the rear of the grip. Just something you might want to mention that makes the incident even more bizarre.

Thanks for the tip. The only anime I know is Cat Shit One.

J-Dub
11-11-12, 18:05
I hate blades man.....that would honestly be the LAST thing I'd want someone to pull on me. Simple fact, you're going to get cut....

Jer
11-11-12, 18:12
I hate blades man.....that would honestly be the LAST thing I'd want someone to pull on me. Simple fact, you're going to get cut....

Unless you shoot them. A lot.

J-Dub
11-11-12, 19:25
Unless you shoot them. A lot.

Chances are you're going to get cut. Either way, I hate blades.

Plus, way more people carry knives on them than guns. And in my line of work, thats something I consider everytime I contact someone.

Jer
11-11-12, 19:40
Chances are you're going to get cut. Either way, I hate blades.

Plus, way more people carry knives on them than guns. And in my line of work, thats something I consider everytime I contact someone.

You have to be pretty close to someone to cut them. I keep a fair distance from all unknowns whenever possible. If one of them starts closing said gap with a knife in hand they're getting lots of rounds into them and if they're close enough to cut they also are close enough for headshots... several if need be. I don't think I'm getting cut but that's just how I go through life. Self fulfilling prophecy in play here. I carry a knife too but that's not me preferred weapon of choice. I generally carry a Glock 19 plus an LCP in my front pocket as my backup. People with knives are not at the top of my list of fears.

SteyrAUG
11-11-12, 21:23
You have to be pretty close to someone to cut them. I keep a fair distance from all unknowns whenever possible. If one of them starts closing said gap with a knife in hand they're getting lots of rounds into them and if they're close enough to cut they also are close enough for headshots... several if need be. I don't think I'm getting cut but that's just how I go through life. Self fulfilling prophecy in play here. I carry a knife too but that's not me preferred weapon of choice. I generally carry a Glock 19 plus an LCP in my front pocket as my backup. People with knives are not at the top of my list of fears.

Most people who are serious about knives and using them don't pull them out and wave them around first.

Jer
11-11-12, 22:19
Most people who are serious about knives and using them don't pull them out and wave them around first.

I don't think I said that.

Mac5.56
11-11-12, 22:29
Jer,

Have you ever been in a real conflict? Had shots fired at you? A knife pulled on you? You seem well armed at all times, how do you carry your wallet?

Jer
11-11-12, 22:34
Jer,

Have you ever been in a real conflict? Had shots fired at you? A knife pulled on you? You seem well armed at all times, how do you carry your wallet?

I guess the word 'conflict' can be defined many ways but yes, I have been in enough situations where well being and or life were in immediate jeopardy to know how I react when the adrenaline dump hits. I am pretty well armed and I carry my wallet in my front pocket. Why?

Mac5.56
11-11-12, 22:47
Why? Because your outlook on life really blows my mind. I have a CCW permit, I am an avid gun owner, I train with my rifles and my pistols. I always have the ability to defend myself and my family with me at all times. This ability is as much mental as it is physical (with my body) and physical (with my tools/tech/weapons).

The announcement that you carry around two pistols and a knife, with your wallet in your front pocket is really sad to me. Do you live in Somalia, the Middle East, a war zone, or New Guinea?

I know that I am being rude, and I do apologize for the harshness of my critique, but I have to know: Are you as scared of being struck by lightening as you are being attacked while in public? Does your house have a lightening rod? Because statistically if you don't work in a high risk LEO profession or the drug trade, you are more likely to be struck by lightening then suffer an attack by a stranger.

SteyrAUG
11-11-12, 23:06
I don't think I said that.

I wasn't trying to suggest you don't know what you are talking about. Just pointing out that a person doesn't always have the benefit of knowing they are about to be attacked with a knife. This goes back to that "expect to get cut" comment made by others.

This is also why a person should have some unarmed fighting skills, because you might have to fight a person off and get to your gun.

SteyrAUG
11-11-12, 23:14
Why? Because your outlook on life really blows my mind. I have a CCW permit, I am an avid gun owner, I train with my rifles and my pistols. I always have the ability to defend myself and my family with me at all times. This ability is as much mental as it is physical (with my body) and physical (with my tools/tech/weapons).

The announcement that you carry around two pistols and a knife, with your wallet in your front pocket is really sad to me. Do you live in Somalia, the Middle East, a war zone, or New Guinea?

I know that I am being rude, and I do apologize for the harshness of my critique, but I have to know: Are you as scared of being struck by lightening as you are being attacked while in public? Does your house have a lightening rod? Because statistically if you don't work in a high risk LEO profession or the drug trade, you are more likely to be struck by lightening then suffer an attack by a stranger.

Are you really criticizing somebody for being prepared for a "worst case" scenario?

Would you criticize a LEO who carried "two guns and a knife" off duty?

If we went by "statistics" then none of us should be carrying weapons at all. But we do because we don't know who will be the statistic and who won't be.

And what is the wost thing about being over prepared? Best case scenario is you never, ever need it. This goes for the guns, stockpiles of ammo and mags and all that "training." Hopefully nothing bad ever happens and you never use it, that would be wonderful.

But IF something does go to shit, I'd rather be the guy who prepared for downtown Somalia than the guy who planned on only needing 2 rounds because in most defensive situations that is all that is usually fired.

Jer
11-11-12, 23:21

This is a pretty sad opinion to have of another person who has chose to take responsibility for their safety and that of their loved ones. Never thought I would find a member of this site with this outlook.

I'll start by saying that I'm around 285lbs and can handle my own just fine in an unarmed fighting situation. That being said, why in the hell would I choose to put myself in a less than desirable situation where I'm unarmed just to try to prove how bad ass I am? I avoid conflict whenever possible but this doesn't mean I'm not capable of resolving it when unavoidable. That also doesn't mean that I can control the type of conflict and if you think you can handle any situation that could possibly come at you with your bare hands then you're more naive than I'm giving you credit for.

I carry a knife on my back pocket and it's not a weapon... 99% of the time. I use it to open boxes, trim stuff and cut open that horribly dangerous plastic blister packages that companies love to use for goods these days. It's not a weapon. I think of it like I think of my little flaslight that I carry and that's a tool that I use frequently that is quite handy to have on my person. That's not to say that the knife couldn't be used as one and I'm not afraid to if I have no other choice but I do have other choices (two in fact) and I'm glad I do because a knife is a horribly ineffective self defense weapon in all but the most trained of hands compared to a firearm in just about every self defense situation. If you're talking about some gang banger threatening me with a knife... I'm not getting cut. I'm not saying it's not possible for me to get cut because that's not the case. I'm saying that the situation where I could would be rare since I choose to limit my vulnerability based on the decisions I make and how I conduct myself when in public.

My wallet goes in my front pocket because I don't want to give some idiot an opportunity of what they think might be an easy target. Big bulging wallet in a back pants pocket is just asking for it. As to why I carry two guns... two is one and one is none. Last thing I want is to think I have a firearm should I absolutely have no other choice and then have it fail. Pretty simple principle and an LCP is so small that I don't really ever notice it in my pocket so why not have it? How is it bothering you?

The fact that you think you have to live in a war-torn 3rd world country to have your life taken for the $20 in your wallet makes me chuckle. I just hope your choice to ridicule those who choose to be prepared while you chose to not doesn't come back to bite you.

Jer
11-11-12, 23:21
I wasn't trying to suggest you don't know what you are talking about. Just pointing out that a person doesn't always have the benefit of knowing they are about to be attacked with a knife. This goes back to that "expect to get cut" comment made by others.

This is also why a person should have some unarmed fighting skills, because you might have to fight a person off and get to your gun.

Agreed. I'm good there too. :cool:

Jer
11-11-12, 23:23
Are you really criticizing somebody for being prepared for a "worst case" scenario?

Would you criticize a LEO who carried "two guns and a knife" off duty?

If we went by "statistics" then none of us should be carrying weapons at all. But we do because we don't know who will be the statistic and who won't be.

And what is the wost thing about being over prepared? Best case scenario is you never, ever need it. This goes for the guns, stockpiles of ammo and mags and all that "training." Hopefully nothing bad ever happens and you never use it, that would be wonderful.

But IF something does go to shit, I'd rather be the guy who prepared for downtown Somalia than the guy who planned on only needing 2 rounds because in most defensive situations that is all that is usually fired.

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder what forum I was on with the types of statements I was having to address. Kind of wild how far off topic we've come because someone felt the need to call me paranoid due to a simple statement.

Mac5.56
11-11-12, 23:25
Like I said, I'm just being a dick. I believe that situational awareness involves more then carrying three weapons. I've been in enough conflicts that I can state with confidence that without the right mindset all of your guns/weapons wont do shit against a determined attacker if said conflict happens to take place. The biggest asset you have is your brain, and your ability to stay calm under pressure. If you don't have that, you should stay home.

Jer
11-11-12, 23:49
Like I said, I'm just being a dick. I believe that situational awareness involves more then carrying three weapons. I've been in enough conflicts that I can state with confidence that without the right mindset all of your guns/weapons wont do shit against a determined attacker if said conflict happens to take place. The biggest asset you have is your brain, and your ability to stay calm under pressure. If you don't have that, you should stay home.

So you assume that all I own is 'three weapons' and I am blind to the people and places around me & I'm completely inept because I carry 'three weapons'? That and you've modified your post several times now and each time it appears to get worse. I think you should have left it with you wondering 'how I bend over to pick my shoes on' as this was your most intelligent post yet. I feel like you're trying to provoke me for no reason here and your posts really have nothing constructive to add to this conversation so I suggest you just stop.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-12-12, 00:14
Speaking of Colorado, it is third in the nation for lightening attacks, and when you consider the population differences between CO and Florida and Texas- lightening does strike alot more in Colorado....

I'd rather face a guy with a sword than a knife. You can see a guy with a sword coming from a ways away...

My wife used to make fun of my single cell 123 flashlight and Benchmade 940 series that I carry in my left and right pockets. Now she just goes "Knife!" or "Flashlight!" when she gets in a bind. I hit 40 and realize a flashlight more than I used to... The knife is more a nod to my grandfather than anything. He used to carry a pocket knife with him all the time.

And all you quit screwing up my dead ninja wannab thread before I come and ninja on you anime style

;)

SteyrAUG
11-12-12, 00:17

Situational awareness is great IF you happen to see it coming and/or are provided an alternative to confrontation. But that isn't always the case or some very professional people would NEVER have armed confrontations.

And if it can happen to them, then sure as shit it can happen to anyone so you might just want a plan. Obviously if you are fortunate enough to see it coming and find a "walk that way" alternative it's great to never have to fight.

Sadly, many bad and dangerous people ALSO have situational awareness and predatory skills. Even gang bangers with 4th grade educations are sometimes experienced enough to set up ambushes, diversions and baited traps.

Jer
11-12-12, 00:20
Speaking of Colorado, it is third in the nation for lightening attacks, and when you consider the population differences between CO and Florida and Texas- lightening does strike alot more in Colorado....

I'd rather face a guy with a sword than a knife. You can see a guy with a sword coming from a ways away...

My wife used to make fun of my single cell 123 flashlight and Benchmade 940 series that I carry in my left and right pockets. Now she just goes "Knife!" or "Flashlight!" when she gets in a bind. I hit 40 and realize a flashlight more than I used to... The knife is more a nod to my grandfather than anything. He used to carry a pocket knife with him all the time.

And all you quit screwing up my dead ninja wannab thread before I come and ninja on you anime style

;)

I still have my grandpa's Buck knife tucked away in a safe place that he carried every day. One of the few things I got from the vultures in my family who cared more about monetary value than sentimental value. I do use the crap out of my knife though and I laughed when I read about your wife asking for a knife or a flashlight all of the time because my wife does the same thing.

SteyrAUG
11-12-12, 00:22

;)

Not if it's Zatoichi. You never see that coming.