View Full Version : LE6940 now I need optics...

Remmy
11-10-12, 19:46
I would like to put a mid range optic on my new Colt.

Around 350$ to spend for which scope?

What mount should I get?

It seems to like the green tip 62 grainers but only had it out twice. First time with 55 grain cheap steel casings, Tula or something. It didn't like that first time out.

Got it hitting 5 inch steel swinger at 100 meters on the bench, front rest. When I used my leather claw sling sitting on the ground it was hitting to the right. Sling is attached on the right side. Might just be me...but it got me wondering if it was being pulled by where the sling is attached. I moved back to the bench and front rest and the POI was back over to the left. This doesn't happen using my M1.

bodhisattva
11-10-12, 19:51
Quality makes it a Colt! For your optic needs, it seems like the Aimpoint PRO would be right up your alley. They go from 350-400 brand new.

jet66
11-10-12, 20:02
Since the 6940 has a monolithic rail system, the sling shouldn't be affecting the point of impact by pulling on it. (Assuming it's connected to the rail and not a mount point on the bbl, of course.)

Were you wanting something magnified or an RDS/HWS? I wasn't sure if 'mid-range' was for price or distance.

Remmy
11-10-12, 20:11
I do like the looks of the Aimpoint Pro but would like more then 1x.

Magnified.

AKDoug
11-10-12, 22:11
What is your use going to be. I can make hits out to 200 yards with my red dot sight AND I can use it for close range defense, especially in low light. It's a damn combat rifle and I treat it as such.

For $350 you can buy a decent basic scope, but it won't be combat tough and it won't be capable of low light use. It will also be difficult to use at close range in a defense situation. There are some low priced illuminated reticle scopes out there, but you really don't get into a decent one until the $500 mark (Vortex PST) and you still need a good mount.

An Aimpoint Pro comes with a mount and gets you a combat quality RDS in the 350 to 400 range.

jet66
11-10-12, 22:29
Out to 200 yds, a RDS works well for me, and I don't have perfect vision. I don't know if I could hit a 5" target every time at that range with no magnification and only 'decent' ammo, but I have no problem keeping all of my shots in the scoring rings of a 100 yd target at 200 yds. (XM855, XM193, and many types of .223 like PMC and AE. Resting fore-end on tool box, range bag, etc.)

I had an SWFA SS 1-4X on my 'most used' carbine, but replaced it with an Aimpoint PRO for the very reason AKDoug stated: Close range shooting. The 1X of the SS would work, but you had to be mindful of eye relief and there isn't as much wiggle room for looking through at an angle, due to the length of the tube and parallax.

bodhisattva
11-10-12, 23:02
I do like the looks of the Aimpoint Pro but would like more then 1x.

Magnified.

350 is untenable for a quality variable magnification scope, unless you find a screamer of a deal on an older Accupoint.

VIP3R 237
11-10-12, 23:05
Maybe a Burris Tac30 1-4x or a Burris MTAC 1-4x might be your best options at the price range.

Remmy
11-11-12, 06:11
AKDoug makes a good point. I am leaning towards an Aimpoint Pro again, then no need for a quick scope release.

I really like the one piece upper in my LE 6940, rock solid piece!