PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Esstac Trim Bush...

Bogart
11-10-12, 21:42
So I'm looking to put together a chest rig. I'm currently not LE/MIL (working on getting into LE right now) so this will be for training/SHTF purposes. Here's what I need:

-holds 3-4 M4 mags
-MOLLE webbing to attach pouches for 2 pistol mags, med pouch, maybe a few other things (multi-tool, knife, etc.)
-simple, slick, and as non-bulky as possible (don't want a ton of weight and bulk on the front pulling me forward and would like to be able to get in my car with it on if I ever needed to)

After looking around on here at lots of different rigs the Esstac Trim Bush looks like it will be a perfect fit but I've got a few questions about it for anyone with experience with it:

First, I'm a smaller guy (5'8" and 140 lbs.) and I've heard this rig fits smaller guys well. Is this true? I don't want a rig that's loose or moves around on me at all; I want it to fit snug with just a t-shirt under it in hot weather. Second, can this thing ride high enough to clear my my first line belt (P30, spare mag, and SF 6PX all in RCS gear on an Ares belt - my EDC gear)? Lastly, is there a preferred color for civilian purposes? May seem like a dumb question, but I don't want to look like that guy decked out in all black and also don't want to be the guy with no MIL experience running around in camo. I was leaning toward coyote or OD. Opinions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

snake eater 332
11-11-12, 22:19
Esstac makes bombproof gear! Their quality is excellent, some of the best gear I've used.

I had a Trim Bush with Padded Harness w/ Sleeve Kit in coyote until I recently sold it to a fellow LEO at work. I had it for about 2 years and used it in several training classes and numerous range sessions. I replaced it with the Esstac Bush Boar A-1 split-front (easier on and off while in patrol uniform with body armor), with the Padded Harness w/ Sleeve Kit and Boar Hydration Carrier, one as my Active Shooter rig (in black) and another as a Training/SHTF rig (in multicam).

Their chest rigs are fully adjustable to a variety of body sizes (I'm 5'9" 200 lbs) and you can easily adjust it to be carried high or low. Mine is high so that I can access my LE duty belt and my first line training belt.

As far as color goes, that's totally personal preference. Don't worry about anyone's opinion, chose a color scheme that fits your own needs and likely environment and select your gear accordingly, whether it be black, multicam, ATACs, OD, Coyote/FDE, whatever.

Bogart
11-12-12, 19:28
This was the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the help! Also, would you recommend getting the A-1 split front model or just the regular one available through SKD?

J_B
11-12-12, 22:13
Split front. I have the Bush Boar A1. Easier to don/doff.

snake eater 332
11-12-12, 22:55
The Trim Bush worked very well for my intended purposes. It is just much easier and quicker to put on the split-front Bush Boar A-1 while wearing my patrol uniform and body armor.

Bogart
11-13-12, 16:27
Sounds good. I'll be getting in touch with Stu soon to get one of these in the works soon. Thanks for the input guys!

snake eater 332
11-18-12, 20:38
Another awesome and pretty unique feature that the Esstac chest rigs have is the ability to use the same rig for 5.56 and 7.62 mags with a quick change of an additional Velcro insert. Instead of buying a completely different chest rig, buy the other insert and keep everything consistent on your rig for familiarity, training, and expense. The same chest rig can be used for multiple weapon platforms.

Here are some pics of the rear of my Esstac Trim Bush chest rig and its 5.56 insert:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/19/arajabam.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/19/y3y4amy7.jpg

Bogart
12-10-12, 21:07
Snake Eater, any chance you could post some pics of the front of that rig? That looks a lot like how I would like to set one of these up?

jenrick
12-10-12, 21:44
If you don't need integral mag pouches you can check out High Ground Gears chest rig: http://www.highgroundgear.com/products/chest-rig

Sucker is about as minimalist as you can get. It's just a series of MOLLE loops attached to shoulder straps. Had a chance to T&E one for a while, and it's plenty sturdy. Basically put exactly what you need on there, loose the rest. Sounds like you need a triple AR mag shingle, pair of double pistol shingles (one for mags, one for multi-tool and light), add one double AR mag pouch with flap for a medical (tourniquet, hemostatic of choice, EMT shears). Probably will weight a hair over 2 pounds without gear in it, and maybe 5-6lbs loaded. As a bonus you can clip it into a plate carrier pretty easily if you go that route later.

-Jenrick

CGSteve
12-15-12, 02:03
I too have the Trim Bush and like it very much. It can fit smaller guys but with a bit of adjustment. I am only 5'5" about 160lbs. By the time I was finished adjusting the back buckle strap, the excess was rolled up into about a 1/2" thick square.

I have used the rig for quarterly range days at work as well as in shooting matches where moving around was required. It has worked out well in all situations. I have experimented using the rig while wearing a kydex holster on a regular belt and the side of the rig would get in the way of drawing from that setup. However, I preferred to wear the rig closer to my abdomen versus high on my chest. I have not tried using the rig while wearing any "battle belts" (as I don't own any) so I don't know how that's going to work out for you.

I like the interior placement design for the carbine mags very much. On the PALS I am able to fit a small blowout kit, three pistol pouches, and a radio pouch with some room left over. I have also purchased the 7.62 rack but have yet to use it, but it is the same thing just for different mags/platform.

snake eater 332
01-03-13, 11:15
Bogart, I wish I could, but I'm pretty sure I deleted the pics shortly after selling my Trim Bush rig to a LEO coworker. I may have posted those pics somewhere, so I'll see if I can find them. However, I can get you picks of my Bush Boar A-1 split front set-up if you'd like.

Bogart
01-03-13, 19:25
That'd be great if you can post those. I ordered the Trim Bush from SKD during their after Christmas sale. Would have liked the split-front, but couldn't pass up the sale price at SKD. Waiting to see how it fits and works with the stuff on my belt when it comes in before I decide exactly how I want to set it up, though I have the general idea in mind. It'd be good to see pics of yours to get some more ideas.

Thanks!