PDA

View Full Version : SW40VE for $299 - $50 rebate = good deal?

sonrider657
02-14-08, 08:50
I have heard a lot of trash-talk about S&W Sigmas. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them, especially the new ones?

They are available right now for $299 - $50 mail-in rebate from S&W with two extra magazines (same deal for the 9mm). A brand new Smith & Wesson for $250 is hard to pass up.

Who knows about these guns?

John_Wayne777
02-14-08, 09:20
I have heard a lot of trash-talk about S&W Sigmas. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them, especially the new ones?

Every Sigma I have tried has had some of the world's nastiest triggers.

Aside from that, the later production Stigmas....errr......Sigmas seem to go bang pretty reliably.

Personally for the 300 and under market I'd rather have one of the police trade in S&Ws, but that's just me.

Edit -- The S&W rebates are a good deal, but if you buy a qualifying weapon don't expect the rebate to show up instantly. S&W is absolutely swamped with rebates to process right now and will be for quite some time.

Delta1067
02-14-08, 09:42
My Dad has one and it is like John Wayne says---terrible trigger. It is a good gun to shoot in the backyard with, but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Save up some money and buy something better.

ST911
02-14-08, 12:44
A training venue that has seen a lot of them advises students to bring a spare gun if they're planning to shoot a Sigma. Or have an armorer standing by.

Each of several agencies that used them had a multitude of issues, mostly unresolved even with replacement guns. They then had to beg LE firearm dealers for a trade allowance toward something else.

Eventually, S&W was unable to give them away to agencies transitioning or standardizing.

The "Enhanced" wasn't, and the eval guns I had in my hands failed to fire at an alarming rate. Subsequent samples were little better.

A S&W sales rep was heard saying that the Sigma wasn't suitable for a LE gun, but was fine for the commercial market. (My kingdom for a tape recorder.)

There are examples of those that run. Their use is usually minimal in volume and instensity.

That's what I know first-hand.

RD62
02-14-08, 16:10
I owned one for several years, but that was several years ago. I don't remember the trigger being too bad, but I didn't have much to compare it too at the time. I seem to recall an occasional FTF. I polished the feed ramp a little and never had another issue with it. I can't say I'd run out and buy another, but I can't say anything bad about them either.

-RD62