PDA

View Full Version : First Upper Build

Neeglik
09-04-06, 15:35
Ok, I've finished my first upper build (pics to follow). Well, almost, I still plan to add a light and Troy backups.

Specs:
16" mid-length Govt. profile barrel from BCM.
CMT M4 upper.
CMT BCH.
Larue gas block.
Larue 12.0 rail.
Trijicon Tripower in Larue cantilever mount.

Only question I really had was on the placement of the gas block. I eyeballed it as best I could, and it looked to be in the right spot. Well, so far I've given it a 40-50 round function test and it seems to work just fine, so I guess the gas block is in the right place. Once I have it zeroed, I plan to shoot and abuse the shit out of it to see how much I like the sight and the configuration. Is there anything else that I should be watching over the next few hundred rounds or should I be good to go?

Now, on to the lower build...

VA_Dinger
09-05-06, 09:25
That sounds like a damn sweet upper.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

M4arc
09-05-06, 10:03
GotM4 posted his method where he marks the position of the gas port with a grease pencil on both the barrel and gas block and then lines them up. I haven't tried it but it makes sense and hopefully he'll be along to clarify that since I can't seem to find the original thread.

Standing by for pictures!

nickdrak
09-05-06, 11:21
Neeglik,

Only thing I can suggest, if you havent already done so, is install a D-fender ring and a Wolff or Colt extra power extractor spring in your bolt. Some places sell extractor upgrade kits that work great as well, like S.A.W. and 10-8. Wheres the pics man!!!

Neeglik
09-05-06, 15:11
Ok, here she is. Sorry the pics are a little dark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/Neeglik/Mid-Length1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/Neeglik/Mid-Length2.jpg

The flash hider was a bit tough to get on, thus the scratches to it. That's a Falcon Husky VFG with quick detach ability. Seems like a pretty good mount; time will tell. I'm still experimenting with light mounts. Shown is a Vltor mount, but I have the Viking offset mount en route to see if I like it better. I'll be sticking with either a Surefire G2 or the pictured 6P/9P conversion. Like I said before, she still needs the Troy BUIS's.

Oh, the lower is off my SAM-ish rifle. The lower I build for this upper will be virtually identical.