PDA

View Full Version : Priming tool for 223

Bro KV
11-11-12, 16:18
I have an RCBS Universal Hand Primer that I use for my 10mm which is large pistol primer. Now when I switch over and use it on 223 it is a little flakey. Sometimes it'll kick the primer sideways or I can feel the resistance so I stop. When I use it on 10mm I never have an issue. Now I am using once fired brase which I am running through the swager. Any recommendations? I am using a Forster single stage.

jstone
11-11-12, 19:00
What you describe can happen with all the handheld units. It does not happen all that often once you get used to it. Just take a quick glance to ensure primer is oriented right. If not with no case in run the primer to the top. It Will usually straighten out if not when it is at the top you can fix it. It used to happen to me like ten out of a hundred now it is like one maybe two if i am rushing.

If you want a new handheld a lot of people like the lee. The only problem i have with the rcbs is it needs shell holders. I might get the new one with the universal shell holder. I have been using mine for years. It is a good tool. The only time i have problems is if the primer slides in slowly. That gives it a chance to fall on its side. If you tip it at an angle where it slides in at a good pace it should fall into place just right.

Stump70
11-11-12, 19:02
I like the Lee, but with the old handle. New one is kind of small.

I usually can prime about 500 an hour while watching "Judge Judy.":D

JStor
11-12-12, 18:43
I use a pair of K&M Precision primer seating tools. I leave one set up for small primers and one for large. You'll need a set of the Lee flat style shell holders for different cartridges. www.kmshooting.com is the company website, but you can probably find them for less money through a vendor.

markm
11-13-12, 07:09
The sinclair hand priming tool won't do this since you hand feed each primer into the cup.

But that thing has become too much of an ass ache for me. too many adjustments, shims, etc. TOO HIGH maintenance.

I'm priming on my silly little single stage Hornady press.

JW5219
11-13-12, 07:48
I have an RCBS Universal Hand Primer that I use for my 10mm which is large pistol primer. Now when I switch over and use it on 223 it is a little flakey. Sometimes it'll kick the primer sideways or I can feel the resistance so I stop. When I use it on 10mm I never have an issue. Now I am using once fired brase which I am running through the swager. Any recommendations? I am using a Forster single stage.

Are you changing the primer plug when you switch from 10mm to .223 ? It should have come with a large and small primer plug.

Bro KV
11-13-12, 16:15
Are you changing the primer plug when you switch from 10mm to .223 ? It should have come with a large and small primer plug.

Yes, it also comes with another adapter for the feeding tray. But yes I have charged it over.

glocktogo
11-13-12, 16:38
I use the RCBS hand primer as well for certain things. If you rush the handle stroke before making contact with the pocket, this will happen a LOT more frequently. Also, is the crimp (if any) fully removed from the pockets? Are they swaged out?

FWIW, I also drilled and tapped the handle on my tool for a set screw. This allows me to better control seating depth for more uniform ignition. I can adjust the depth depending on what I'm priming.

Bro KV
11-14-12, 00:15
I just primed 50 casings without issue. Made sure they were swaged good and made sure to line up the inserting of the primer. Basically slowed down. Thanks guys

JW5219
11-14-12, 07:31
Good, glad you got it straightened out! :D

Bro KV
11-15-12, 00:09
Now I have a silly question, am I missing something? The RCBS comes with a tool to screw in the plungers. Yet only works on the larger primer plunger. There's no way to screw in the small plunger unless I'm using needle nose. Is it me?

JW5219
11-15-12, 07:28
That tool should work with both size plungers, mine does. Give RCBS customer service a call if you can't get it to work. They are outstanding.