PDA

View Full Version : possible crack 2 glock 17 gen 4

G4PI09
11-11-12, 18:31
I have two blue label gen4 17's. One has 500 rounds through and the other has 450 rounds through it as of last night. I noticed this in my most recently purchased 17 prefix AAD purchased in october. It appears to be a crack right behind the striker channel. Im wondering if this is maybe a milling or machining mark being that I have it on both of my glock 17's in the same exact spot same length and nearly identical in shape. The "crack" is much more pronounced on the more recent 17 prefix AAD as opposed to my older mid july 17 prefix SYE. The ammuntion used has been winchester 124 grain and 115 grain and winchester ranger t 147 grain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i will not be able to take this to a glock certified armorer until thursday.

ralph
11-11-12, 19:15
I looked on my Gen 3 g19, it has it as well, I think it is a machining mark, I ran a pick over it and cannot feel anything..I'm sure if it was a crack I would've felt it....

og556
11-11-12, 19:18
My two gen 4 glock 17's both have a very similar mark in that area. One is from march the other one is brand new and has not been shot yet.

G4PI09
11-11-12, 19:55
thanks for the replys guys, when i run a fingernail over the spot on my prefix AAD 17 i can feel the mark where as with my other one i cannot. Im just surprised that this mark was there last night when i have never noticed it on any of my other glocks and i didnt notice it when i took them apart to look them over after i purchased them.

KrampusArms
11-12-12, 16:40
OP
I just looked at two of my Glocks. An 2005 G17c Serial HFAXXX, & a 2012 G26 TFSXXX.

Both weapons have very similar looking marks as yours. My G26 is much more apparent, it looks like a crack, but it has to be machining marks. The odds of all of us having "cracks" on our weapons in the same exact place........

Your concern was valid IMO. They really look like cracks. I never would have noticed if not for this thread.

G4PI09
11-12-12, 19:10
Krampus- Thats what i was thinking when i noticed them on both of my guns, but i figured it was just a sample size of two so i figured i would ask around.

Thanks everyone for the replies

brushy bill
11-12-12, 19:12
Patrick Sweeney's The Gun Digest Book of the Glock 2nd Edition page 32 shows this as a weak spot and indicates that it is not uncommon to chip the area due to over aggressive disassembly pressure. However, it will still work fine. Not saying this is what happened, only indicating it is a known weak area of the slide.

SPD387
03-23-13, 20:53
Those are probably "legitimate" cracks and not surface defects. They will get worse, as mine did. Check out my post (#13) in this thread for a pic of my Glock 22C: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122276
Glock, atleast in my case, did not replace the slide. They chalk it up to a common "milling error", and say it doesn't hamper function or safety. That doesn't inspire confidence for me.