PDA

View Full Version : M&P Compact for 2nd gun use?

m4brian
11-12-12, 07:36
So does anyone use the compact on a carbine course as #2 gun supporting their carbine with extended mags, etc.?

In other words, with gloves, etc does the short grip length preclude the compact's use as a substitute service pistol?

(SW needs to make a g19 sized pistol )

awm14hp
11-12-12, 08:47
If it works for you do it. I know some guys love FS guns others Compact.

m4brian
11-12-12, 09:06
It is a question.

KCabbage
11-12-12, 14:00
Install a X-Grip on a full size magazine if you need more grip. The .45 compact is a G19 sized pistol.

Sry0fcr
11-12-12, 15:00
In other words, with gloves, etc does the short grip length preclude the compact's use as a substitute service pistol?

No. And I would question why you would worry about it if you actually carry the compact and not the fullsize.

(SW needs to make a g19 sized pistol )

They do, the SD9 and M&P45 Compact.

zerocool
11-12-12, 15:23
I don't feel I'm qualified to "weigh-in" on whether a M&Pc would fill the intended role; however, the size differences outside of grip length, are tremendously close. I don't want to make assumptions about an individuals needs, but the G19 and M&P9/40/45c dimensions, to me, seem close enough to be a "push" (again, outside of grip length, which people prefer one or the other for a variety of reasons).

The video below (no affiliation) demonstrates the size from a couple of perspectives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyEDxbYGMg

Hopefully this helps.

m4brian
11-12-12, 19:29
The G19 grip length is optimal for most. You can shoot it with gloves and the mags drop free.

The MP Compact is shorter, and if you use X grip extensions it looks to me like you'll have trouble dropping mags. I suppose you can cut part of the X grip off in the rear to help this.

I was not considering the SD.

scootle
11-18-12, 00:54
I'm a little confused why the OP has concerns about the M&P compact with gloves on... what exactly would preclude the compact from being used with gloves? If you are comfortable with the 2-finger grip on the compact it should work fine, gloves or not, no?

The main thing that I notice when running my compact is watching that I don't pinch myself during reloads due to the shorter grip, that's about it.

Some of this will be directly related to your actual hand size, of course.