PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with a Del-Ton

fury413rb
11-12-12, 08:53
lurking on here a while as well as arfcom

I just picked up a Del-Ton Echo 316. I know a lot of people frown upon Del-Ton firearms but it had everything I was looking for.

CMV barrel .gov profile
Carpenter 158 hpt/mpi bolt and properly staked
Mil-spec receiver extension with staked castle nut
H-buffer
etc

for $629 before tax I thought it was a better alternative to a Oracle. I could be wrong I guess.

I am not a photographer by any means.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/319037_10101926543752808_1999938954_n.jpg

vicious_cb
11-12-12, 08:56
This won't go well :rolleyes:

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:00
I know...

Airhasz
11-12-12, 09:02
How many rounds a month, year do you plan to run through it will probably be key to it holding up to your expectations:eek:

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-12-12, 09:03
Somebody just chummed the water for sharks.....

If your not trolling.... Sounds like a fine purchase for some range/dirt clod pinking I guess.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:05
I just moved to NE Ohio for work. I am not too familiar with the area and haven't found very many outdoor rifle ranges.

Normally around 250-500 rounds a month before I moved.

If I meet some like minded enthusiasts in my new locale maybe more.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:08
I'm not trolling.

My main hobby is trap and sporting clays as well as shotgun reloading.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:11
How many rounds a month, year do you plan to run through it will probably be key to it holding up to your expectations:eek:

I guess a better thing to say would be 100-250 rounds in a weekend would be a usual outing.

MrTips
11-12-12, 09:38
Maybe consider lurking longer if you thought you were going to get a lot of congratulatory posts for a questionable purchase.

High Tower
11-12-12, 09:40
If nothing else, it will be a good rifle to learn how the AR works.

I would advise getting a spare fire control group. I have seen factory Deltons that had problems with this.

polymorpheous
11-12-12, 09:42
Good luck with your rifle.

Keep an eye on the bolt lugs.
They have been known to completely shear off at low round counts.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:43
Maybe consider lurking longer if you thought you were going to get a lot of congratulatory posts for a questionable purchase.

I didn't want anyone congratulate me on a low end purchase.

I didn't say that this is as nice or well made as a Colt or Noveske or DD.

I wasn't trying to make it out to be.

I think it would be appropriate for a moderator to lock this thread or delete it.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:45
If nothing else, it will be a good rifle to learn how the AR works.

I would advise getting a spare fire control group. I have seen factory Deltons that had problems with this.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice!

Good luck with your rifle.

Keep an eye on the bolt lugs.
They have been known to completely shear off at low round counts.

Will do. Why does this happen? Poor QC? Even though they are MPI? or are they only batch tested?

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-12-12, 09:48
This is coming:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ybE1YJzkiAY/Tu3-x-RSx9I/AAAAAAAAAMk/7Su15mh2UNo/s1600/173-0804215016-burn-the-witch-burn-witch-kill-monty-python-demotivational-poster-1223816026.jpg

freebug
11-12-12, 09:49
Congrats on your new rifle. I've never had any issue with DT parts. If its up to mil-spec then it should work just fine.

After all mil-spec is the lowest common denominator that the gov requires.

polymorpheous
11-12-12, 09:49
Thank you. I appreciate the advice!

Will do. Why does this happen? Poor QC? Even though they are MPI? or are they only batch tested?

Bad heat treating.

polymorpheous
11-12-12, 09:50
Congrats on your new rifle. I've never had any issue with DT parts. If its up to mil-spec then it should work just fine.

After all mil-spec is the lowest common denominator that the gov requires.

Please stop posting until you know what you are talking about.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 09:50
Bad heat treating.

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it with a cycle count.

Animal_Mother556
11-12-12, 09:56
A friend of mine had his Bushmaster lugs shear off years ago. He was shooting M193. Cool part was...I was looking right at the ejection port at the time. BIG ball of flame came out. I am left-handed, and I was also shooting the rifle that day. I am pretty sure I would have been missing eyebrows if I was shooting it when the lugs failed.

That's why we wear safety glasses.

bullittmcqueen
11-12-12, 09:59
I think it would be appropriate for a moderator to lock this thread or delete it.

Then why post? Nothing wrong with posting something you bought if you want to review it or back up assumptions or beliefs with real world results. But why post something assuming it will be locked?

fury413rb
11-12-12, 10:00
Then why post? Nothing wrong with posting something you bought if you want to review it or back up assumptions or beliefs with real world results. But why post something assuming it will be locked?

I didn't want/mean to start a shitstorm. I didn't assume anything.

Gunzilla
11-12-12, 11:05
On a 'survivalist' forum there is another Delton fan that swears by his purchase, claiming it is a mil-spec AR.......he too is unaware of their shortcomings....but that doesn't stop him from claiming it's just as good as a (insert one of the top 5 AR makers here).

There is an old saying that is as true today as it ever was: "You get what you pay for".

Just remember, that there is a reason 1 AR15 cost $700 and why another one that looks just like it (from the outside) will cost $1500. It's usually the materials used and how those materials were prepared for use in an AR15, 2 things you normally can't tell by looking at it.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 11:07
On a 'survivalist' forum there is another Delton fan that swears by his purchase, claiming it is a mil-spec AR.......he too is unaware of their shortcomings....but that doesn't stop him from claiming it's just as good as a (insert one of the top 5 AR makers here).

There is an old saying that is as true today as it ever was: "You get what you pay for".

Just remember, that there is a reason 1 AR15 cost $700 and why another one that looks just like it (from the outside) will cost $1500. It's usually the materials used and how those materials were prepared for use in an AR15, 2 things you normally can't tell by looking at it.

I completely understand and I have never said it was in the same realm as the well known brands.

glocktogo
11-12-12, 11:19
Just keep it lubed, do a thorough cleaning & inspection after each range session and consider upgrading when you have the funds available. In the meantime, focus on accuracy and proper technique when you shoot it. Just sending rounds downrange in a haphazard fashion may be fun, but it's not conducive to being a good shooter.

fury413rb
11-12-12, 11:24
Just keep it lubed, do a thorough cleaning & inspection after each range session and consider upgrading when you have the funds available. In the meantime, focus on accuracy and proper technique when you shoot it. Just sending rounds downrange in a haphazard fashion may be fun, but it's not conducive to being a good shooter.

upgrading the components of the rifle or upgrading to a new rifle?

Funds weren't really an issue in the purchase. Is the quality of the lower that bad where I shouldn't even consider keeping that?

Honest questions.

polymorpheous
11-12-12, 11:36
As long as the lower is within machining tolerances, (all the springs and pins fit where they are supposed to fit), you should be fine.
You can install a quality lower parts kit later, it is not as important as the upper.

The upper is the heart and soul of the rifle.
The bolt and barrel are huge in terms of the quality of the rifle.
Proper chamber dimensions, gas port diameter, and materials used are very, very important.
Parts ain't parts, and mil-spec is not the lowest bidder but the minimum standards that must be met.
Del-ton doesn't meet many of these minimum standards.

Buying a new upper is like buying a new rifle.
You can buy different uppers to serve different purposes.
For now, buy a quality bolt carrier group, (preferably with the heavier full auto carrier), and keep the Del-ton as back up.
Buy a heavier buffer as the Del-ton barrel is very likely over gassed.
Keep it well lubed and watch for signs of pressure when shooting 5.56 pressure ammo.

cthompson36
11-12-12, 11:40
in all reality, since youre not going to war with it, you can correct any problems if they arise. just go out and enjoy your rifle, it should hold up to your wants just fine. if anything breaks, replace it with BCM or the like and youll be in buisness

fury413rb
11-12-12, 11:47
As long as the lower is within machining tolerances, (all the springs and pins fit where they are supposed to fit), you should be fine.
You can install a quality lower parts kit later, it is not as important as the upper.

The upper is the heart and soul of the rifle.
The bolt and barrel are huge in terms of the quality of the rifle.
Proper chamber dimensions, gas port diameter, and materials used are very, very important.
Parts ain't parts, and mil-spec is not the lowest bidder but the minimum standards that must be met.
Del-ton doesn't meet many of these minimum standards.

Buying a new upper is like buying a new rifle.
You can buy different uppers to serve different purposes.
For now, buy a quality bolt carrier group, (preferably with the heavier full auto carrier), and keep the Del-ton as back up.
Buy a heavier buffer as the Del-ton barrel is very likely over gassed.
Keep it well lubed and watch for signs of pressure when shooting 5.56 pressure ammo.

Is there any information where I can see a breakdown of what parts don't meet mil-spec standards? Going of off their website (which is obviously subjective) It lists the upper,lower and the bolt as all being "mil-spec".

I completely understand what you are saying but I am confused on the specs of this rifle.

I am not trying to be an ass. I just don't understand that if I cant trust certain information then whats the point?

Just a little confused at this point. Everything I read on looking what to buy (barring from Brand Name) it seemed to have.

I just thought that it would at least be "ok" to start with.

Barrel:
Chrome Moly Vanadium
M4 Feed Ramps
16" Length
1x9 Twist
A2 Flash Hider
Manganese Phosphated
Phosphated under Front Sight Base
Taper Pins on F-Marked Front Sight Base
Threaded Muzzle
M4 Profile

Chamber:
5.56 X 45 mm

Bolt And Carrier:
Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI Tested
Heat Treated and Plated
Mil-Spec
Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key

Per their website:
Upper Receiver:
Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
Flat Top With M4 Feed Ramps
Hard Coat Anodized
Mil-Spec
Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
Right Hand Ejection
Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface

Lower Receiver:
Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Anodized
Mil-Spec
Aluminum Triggerguard
Semi-Auto
Aluminum Mag Catch Button

Gunzilla
11-12-12, 11:50
upgrading the components of the rifle or upgrading to a new rifle?

Funds weren't really an issue in the purchase. Is the quality of the lower that bad where I shouldn't even consider keeping that?

Honest questions.

I would consider the upper more important than the lower considering that is where the bullet fires and exits the rifle, then upgrade to components of your lower. In the future you may want to change buffers, grip, add a BAD lever and swap out to a winter trigger guard.

Uppers: you can't go wrong with BCM (Bravo Company), HUGE variety of configurations to choose from. They also make lowers now too, and they've been getting good reviews. BTW, a mil-spec barrel is 1/7 twist, just to be accurate.

If your lower has an angle to the back end of the buffer tube you may even decide to change the buffer tube to the flat back mil-spec tube. I consider this to be important if you plan to have more than 1 AR and you buy a better mil-spec rifle next time.....then swapping parts becomes a non-issue.

Don't get me wrong...lowers are important too but mostly because of the trigger and related springs.

When you're ready for your next AR15 just ask here, you may get 5 different answers but ALL will (likely) be worthy answers that will put you into a fine AR.

BTW, I wasn't accusing you of being like the other Delton owner...just pointing out his flawed thinking. Funny thing about him is he came onto that forum....asked what AR he should buy and nobody suggested Delton....but that's what he bought. :blink:

fury413rb
11-12-12, 11:55
[QUOTE=Gunzilla;1439717
BTW, I wasn't accusing you of being like the other Delton owner...just pointing out his flawed thinking. Funny thing about him is he came onto that forum....asked what AR he should buy and nobody suggested Delton....but that's what he bought. :blink:[/QUOTE]

Well thats strange lol.

It also has a flat back mil-spec tube.

polymorpheous
11-12-12, 11:55
Is there any information where I can see a breakdown of what parts don't meet mil-spec standards? Going of off their website (which is obviously subjective) It lists the upper,lower and the bolt as all being "mil-spec".

I completely understand what you are saying but I am confused on the specs of this rifle.

I am not trying to be an ass. I just don't understand that if I cant trust certain information then whats the point?

Just a little confused at this point. Everything I read on looking what to buy (barring from Brand Name) it seemed to have.

I just thought that it would at least be "ok" to start with.

Read all of the sticky threads at the top of the technical sub-forums.

Iraqgunz
11-12-12, 12:04
So you have been lurking here and TOS and I assume that you haven't read any of the tech threads. Yet you seemed to know that people were going to frown upon your purchase for good reason. If you believe the Dalton offers a "milspec" gun for less than others then you have been reading something wrong.