PDA

View Full Version : magazines to buy?

kiki
11-12-12, 12:29
So theres a storm coming and we all want to be prepared and buy now before prices go up! So my question to you guys is as far as mags go....do you buy
Original military style aluminum mags or magpul pmags......whats your opinion
On this matter......

AKDoug
11-12-12, 12:36
I buy 10 packs of aluminum GI mags. My last batch from BCM has been flawless. My previous batch of from DSG arms also has tested fine. The biggest problem having so many mags is actually getting the time to run them thoroughly to test. At my last class I brought 18 fully loaded mags and only a few of them actually got used twice.

BTW search is your friend. Here's a huge thread on the topic. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074

ST911
11-12-12, 12:37
So theres a storm coming and we all want to be prepared and buy now before prices go up! So my question to you guys is as far as mags go....do you buy
Original military style aluminum mags or magpul pmags......whats your opinion
On this matter......

If you need magazines, buy any of the known-goods and go shooting. Hit the other threads on what results people are having with various mags, including detailed write-ups.

Here's a running thread on buying, hoarding, and post-election paranoia:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116020

markm
11-12-12, 12:39
You're just NOW thinking of getting mags?

Next you'll be complaining that ammo is hard to find and when you do find it, the price is too high.

WS6
11-12-12, 12:43
I really like Lancer L5 AWM's. They did excellent for me at the carbine course I just got home from. 1700 rounds, and the only 2 failures I had were riding the CH (my fault) once, and an unknown double-feed early on.

The double-feed was weird, and I used that mag extensively afterward (the next 1000+ rounds) and it did fine.

Lock back on empty chamber, slam mag home, bolt-release, double-feed.

Possible causes:

1) somehow a loaded round was in the chamber from the last mag and the bolt was locked back and when I glanced into the chamber I missed it (Dunno how, not likely).

2) When I pulled the mag out of my pouch, the top bullet caught on some of my kit and was pulled partially out, and slamming the mag home and dropping the bolt launched it into the upper/chamber region and another round was also loaded as the bolt flew forward catching ITS base. Still odd, but much more likely, as I was indexing my rifle mags similar to how pistol mags are, and pulling up and forward could have snagged a projectile tip and sent the bullet askew in the mag before I slammed it into the mag-well. I'm still learning, and my rifle was not in my face like it should have been so I did not SEE the top rounds in the mag as I loaded it. This is what I think occured, as I cannot fathom a double-feed from a fresh mag, and the mag NEVER malfunctioned after or prior to that. I used it a lot.

Anyway, noone else running AWM's had any issues at the course.

USGI mag users had a few issues, but not many.

A few people had PMAG's, several had bad experiences previously and stopped using them prior to this course. Followers freezing in bodies, feed-lips breaking, etc. The training group that hosted Viking Tactics at this course had also said they have seen many issues in previous courses with PMAGs.

I like my AWM's. They work. They are smaller than PMAG's. They cost about the same (not worth quibbling over the difference). I recommend them.

ra2bach
11-12-12, 14:49
I really like Lancer L5 AWM's. They did excellent for me at the carbine course I just got home from. 1700 rounds, and the only 2 failures I had were riding the CH (my fault) once, and an unknown double-feed early on.

The double-feed was weird, and I used that mag extensively afterward (the next 1000+ rounds) and it did fine.

Lock back on empty chamber, slam mag home, bolt-release, double-feed.

Possible causes:

1) somehow a loaded round was in the chamber from the last mag and the bolt was locked back and when I glanced into the chamber I missed it (Dunno how, not likely).

2) When I pulled the mag out of my pouch, the top bullet caught on some of my kit and was pulled partially out, and slamming the mag home and dropping the bolt launched it into the upper/chamber region and another round was also loaded as the bolt flew forward catching ITS base. Still odd, but much more likely, as I was indexing my rifle mags similar to how pistol mags are, and pulling up and forward could have snagged a projectile tip and sent the bullet askew in the mag before I slammed it into the mag-well. I'm still learning, and my rifle was not in my face like it should have been so I did not SEE the top rounds in the mag as I loaded it. This is what I think occured, as I cannot fathom a double-feed from a fresh mag, and the mag NEVER malfunctioned after or prior to that. I used it a lot.

Anyway, noone else running AWM's had any issues at the course.

USGI mag users had a few issues, but not many.

A few people had PMAG's, several had bad experiences previously and stopped using them prior to this course. Followers freezing in bodies, feed-lips breaking, etc. The training group that hosted Viking Tactics at this course had also said they have seen many issues in previous courses with PMAGs.

I like my AWM's. They work. They are smaller than PMAG's. They cost about the same (not worth quibbling over the difference). I recommend them.

its most likely that slamming the mag into a bolt-back condition dislodged the top round. it's pretty easy to make a round pop out of any good GI mag with a firm rap on the bottom. generally this happens when the mag is not full but I have seen it dislodge a round out of a fully loaded Pmag...

sammage
11-12-12, 15:00
You're just NOW thinking of getting mags?

Next you'll be complaining that ammo is hard to find and when you do find it, the price is too high.

No joke, the chicken little schtick is getting old.

AKDoug
11-12-12, 15:19
I also have 5 ea of the Lancer mags. They are cool in the fact that I have the smoked versions so I can see how many rounds I have. That's useful on the square range, but I don't really know how useful it'd be in a defensive situation. The cost wasn't worth it to me, so I didn't buy any more. Still, they run great.

Iraqgunz
11-12-12, 15:38
1. Why not read a little and use the search button first?

2. Almost every post you have made so far has been covered many times over.

3. It took the 2nd re-election of Obama for you to realize what was coming and you decided to act. Where were you before?