PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself and have a question

AR Newby AZ
11-12-12, 18:34
I'm new to the rifle world and I have been researching all options for my new AR. I have my heart set on the PSA MOE carbine. I went from DPMS to double star to bushmaster and now I'm stuck on the PSA. My use for this rifle is plinking and varmint hunting mainly coyotes.

I'm not sure if I should get the carbine or for a little more money get the 12" Midwest Industries SSG2 Free Float Rail? I won't be puting on a scope just an eotech with the 4x magnifier. I couldn't imagine shooting anything further than 300 yards.

P2000
11-12-12, 19:57
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98378

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113242&page=3

Why PSA? I would read and search this site some more before forking over your hard earned money.

AR Newby AZ
11-12-12, 21:18
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98378

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=113242&page=3

Why PSA? I would read and search this site some more before forking over your hard earned money.

The affordability and quality that I've read about them is what sold me. Also, the 1:7 twist is a nice bonus. Yes, I've read those threads and something that's happened 5 years ago doesn't bother me. Companies mess up and people have bad experiences and I can't let that deter me away from buying a product.

Iraqgunz
11-13-12, 00:59
Apparently you aren't reading the same thing we are. It's not just something that happened 5 years ago.

Oversized gas ports, selling BCG's that may or may not have been HP/MPI tested and checked are just a few things.

The problem is like many right now is that you procrastinated in buying an AR and now because Barry was re-elected you are in panic mode and are afraid of some looming AWB.

You could easily wait a month or two and get a Colt or BCM. I have seen Colts ass low as 999.00 and I have a local FFL that could probably get you one for 1100.00.

It's your money, you buy what you want.

The affordability and quality that I've read about them is what sold me. Also, the 1:7 twist is a nice bonus. Yes, I've read those threads and something that's happened 5 years ago doesn't bother me. Companies mess up and people have bad experiences and I can't let that deter me away from buying a product.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 02:53
I see what you're saying. It's not the fact that I can't get a Colt it's whether I want to spend the money on it. For what I'm going to use it for I'd rather not spend that much for one.

And no... not quite sure where you got the whole re election panicking BWG theory from.

Iraqgunz
11-13-12, 03:18
Buy a Delton and be happy.

Redhat
11-13-12, 09:28
You can't plink and shoot coyotes with the rifle you have? Is it giving you problems?

Krusty783
11-13-12, 14:31
You could get an RRA rifle in the ~$900 price range. I've also read [on here] that some Walmarts are starting to stock Colt ARs for ~$900.

Colt are definitely straight shooters and you're much less likely to have an issue with one of their weapons.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 15:03
You can't plink and shoot coyotes with the rifle you have? Is it giving you problems?

The first sentence in this thread answers your questions.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 15:22
You could get an RRA rifle in the ~$900 price range. I've also read [on here] that some Walmarts are starting to stock Colt ARs for ~$900.

Colt are definitely straight shooters and you're much less likely to have an issue with one of their weapons.

Good info I'll look into RRA and if I'll look around for Colts at Walmart. I haven't seen a Colt in the few walmarts I've been in.

Seagunner
11-13-12, 15:31
Your looking for cheap, plinking and low end. The advice you get from professional and knowledgeable members of this forum will always be to buy a quality, dependable and proven AR.

JR TACTICAL
11-13-12, 15:33

LOL!!! Priceless

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 15:33

Ok I'm sure you're getting a hard on ripping on new members as a mr cool moderator. But I'm positive it's not a good thing to be ripping on the vendors like PSA that probably pay to help keep this forum up. There's other ways of getting your point across other than being a complete douche.

Many new people come here for advice and some guidance, not to be talked down to and ridiculed. So, if this is how the whole forum and moderators act please tell me now so I don't return.

Seagunner
11-13-12, 15:45
Mission Statement
The purpose of M4Carbine.net is to provide a forum to share professional and technical information to the shooting community. The forum is open to military, law enforcement, and recreational shooters.
The guys you see with all those hi numbers of posts next to their names are very informed..and just that he's giving you advice is impressive. New guys post everyday about decisions they are about to make..and if you read any of them they'll all are told the same thing. Save up, read and don't make the same mistakes new guys make.

JR TACTICAL
11-13-12, 15:48
Ok I'm sure you're getting a hard on ripping on new members as a mr cool moderator. But I'm positive it's not a good thing to be ripping on the vendors like PSA that probably pay to help keep this forum up. There's other ways of getting your point across other than being a complete douche.

Many new people come here for advice and some guidance, not to be talked down to and ridiculed. So, if this is how the whole forum and moderators act please tell me now so I don't return.

Sir,

For you to be calling someone down like is extremely disrespectful. Iraqgunz is simply trying to help you make a informed choice and trying to save you some heartache in the long run. IF you had done some reading here you would know all the threads where someone bought some shitty "xyz" rifle and come here and complains that their rifle is "screwing up" or "no good" asking for advise to fix it.

Iraqgunz has answered those questions many times and with his experience has found that the rifles you have mentioned are just not up to par for the standards be has set for himself or most people here or the TDP.

If you want to start calling names when someone gives you an honest opinion, and the you don't like it, and then complain and say you won't return here....IMHO don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!!

Redhat
11-13-12, 16:33
The first sentence in this thread answers your questions.

No...it doesn't at all.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 17:00
No...it doesn't at all.

I'm new to the rifle world and I have been researching all options for my new AR.

Redhat
11-13-12, 17:02
I'm new to the rifle world and I have been researching all options for my new AR.

Yes and I asked if you were having problems with your current rifle.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 17:18
Sir,

For you to be calling someone down like is extremely disrespectful. Iraqgunz is simply trying to help you make a informed choice and trying to save you some heartache in the long run. IF you had done some reading here you would know all the threads where someone bought some shitty "xyz" rifle and come here and complains that their rifle is "screwing up" or "no good" asking for advise to fix it.

Iraqgunz has answered those questions many times and with his experience has found that the rifles you have mentioned are just not up to par for the standards be has set for himself or most people here or the TDP.

If you want to start calling names when someone gives you an honest opinion, and the you don't like it, and then complain and say you won't return here....IMHO don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!!

I really don't care who he is or how much experience he has in this or that. The fact is that he showed disrespect to me first. I understand PSA may not be the best option out there but it's all I'm willing to spend on a gun. If something goes wrong with it and its due to their poor quality then ill send it back to them and they'll fix it. Pretty simple. I'm not going to war with it and its not even for home defense.

Plus he didn't even address the only question I did have about the rail. But it's ok I see where this thread is going.

Also, thanks for the people giving their own insight and recommendations.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 17:20
Yes and I asked if you were having problems with your current rifle.

I don't have a rifle. I only own handguns and shotguns.

Redhat
11-13-12, 17:31
Now I see. I thought you had owned the brands you mentioned.

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 17:41
Now I see. I thought you had owned the brands you mentioned.

No, simple misunderstanding. Just named off brands I was about to buy before coming across PSA. Sorry for my dickish replies as I thought u were being a smartass to me.

RogerinTPA
11-13-12, 19:54
I'm new to the rifle world and I have been researching all options for my new AR. I have my heart set on the PSA MOE carbine. I went from DPMS to double star to bushmaster and now I'm stuck on the PSA. My use for this rifle is plinking and varmint hunting mainly coyotes.

If your first line is true about researching all options (did you do any research at all on M4C?), how on earth did you conclude and be stuck on the PSA???:confused:

AR Newby AZ
11-13-12, 20:15
If your first line is true about researching all options (did you do any research at all on M4C?), how on earth did you conclude and be stuck on the PSA???:confused:

I did research here and other places. Read good reviews and also bad experiences. So far it fits the bill price wise and my main intentions of using it. If there's a better option within the same price range please let me know. I've also recently looked at a sig m400 for $900 which is really stretching it.

AR Newby AZ
11-18-12, 20:53
During my suspension I took some time to do some deep thinking. I won't go with PSA. Either going with Colt or build off a BCM upper if its not too hard of a task. I guess Iraqgunz is right.

The end.

TehLlama
11-18-12, 22:09
Learning has occurred - seeing threads like these makes me feel that the time put into the threads by SME's and others that have been down the same road is time well spent - enjoy that quality hardware.

AR Newby AZ
12-01-12, 22:33
I couldn't find a BCM anywhere locally or online reasonably priced to ship so I ended up with a 6920 and I couldn't be happier. I will be going out to the desert to shoot the shit out of it tomorrow. Can't wait!