PDA

View Full Version : Choices, Choices

Cpnraisnuts
11-12-12, 20:53
I've done a ton of reading here and elsewhere regarding barrel lengths and gas systems and I'm having trouble trying to decide on the upper I'm going to get. Most likely it will be a BCM or LMT as far as brands and my budget go.

The barrel length for me will most likely be a 16 since the 14.5 would have to have a pinned flash hider. I've read a lot about the benefits of a mid length gas system vs a carbine for this barrel length, but I can't find anything in regards to benefits of a carbine gas over mid length.

Are there any benefits to a 16" carbine over a 16" mid length?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aero Precision lower
Dpms lpk
LMT L7D3 STD FULL AUTO BLT CAR (ordered...)
The rest to be determined...

PrarieDog
11-12-12, 21:01
I've read a lot about the benefits of a mid length gas system vs a carbine for this barrel length, but I can't find anything in regards to benefits of a carbine gas over mid length.

To my knowledge there are no benefits for the carbine over the mid length. As has been stated on this board many times over mid lengths have a longer dwell time and are not as over gassed. They also have a different recoil impulse compared to a carbine system.

Cpnraisnuts
11-12-12, 21:21
Thanks. Pretty much affirmed what I was thinking. If I go BCM I'll get the middy since there is no difference in price for the two models I was looking at.

Aero Precision lower
Dpms lpk

Airhasz
11-12-12, 22:36
[QUOTE=Cpnraisnuts;1440231]I've done a ton of reading here and elsewhere regarding barrel lengths and gas systems and I'm having trouble trying to decide on the upper I'm going to get. Most likely it will be a BCM or LMT as far as brands and my budget go.

The barrel length for me will most likely be a 16 since the 14.5 would have to have a pinned flash hider. I've read a lot about the benefits of a mid length gas system vs a carbine for this barrel length, but I can't find anything in regards to benefits of a carbine gas over mid length.

Don't know about benefits but if you want a 16" Colt you'll get a carbine:rolleyes:

PrarieDog
11-13-12, 00:10
I have been very happy with both my BCM mid length uppers. 1 standard and the other light weight. I almost prefer the light weight.

Amontgomery
11-13-12, 02:35
IMHO, the 16" midlength is the best "first AR" for the general AR buyer.

New buyers often go through many different configurations on their first rifle before deciding on one and the 16" middy gives the most flexibility with the least legal red-tape and complications that pin/weld or silver solder have. You can swap handguards, gas blocks, and muzzle devices without issue.

With the mid-length on a 16", you have optimized reliability and parts wear as well, due to the system having the right timing and pressure on the gas system. It also will have a slower and softer recoil impulse when compared to a 16" carbine, which most shooters will prefer.

polymorpheous
11-13-12, 05:01
You could have just ran a search on "mid-length vs. carbine" instead if starting the hundredth thread on the subject.

Cpnraisnuts
11-13-12, 09:41
You could have just ran a search on "mid-length vs. carbine" instead if starting the hundredth thread on the subject.

I did. Here and on google. I have read as much as I could find about it. I was trying to find out if their was any benefits to running a 16 carb over a mid, since from what I had read the mid has benefits that the carbine does not.

Toyoland66
11-13-12, 09:56
The only benefit I see is the ability to run a car cutout rail with the fixed fsb and a pistol light at 12:00.

Cpnraisnuts
11-13-12, 11:08
IMHO, the 16" midlength is the best "first AR" for the general AR buyer.

New buyers often go through many different configurations on their first rifle before deciding on one and the 16" middy gives the most flexibility with the least legal red-tape and complications that pin/weld or silver solder have. You can swap handguards, gas blocks, and muzzle devices without issue.

With the mid-length on a 16", you have optimized reliability and parts wear as well, due to the system having the right timing and pressure on the gas system. It also will have a slower and softer recoil impulse when compared to a 16" carbine, which most shooters will prefer.

Thanks. :)

Aero Precision lower
Dpms lpk