PDA

View Full Version : H2 or 9mm buffer......

kiki
11-13-12, 05:19
Which buffer for both worlds....orderd a 9mm upper, and was wondering if my H2 buffer would be ok, or do i have to go heavier for 9mm upper...differences are..
H2/4.6 vs 9mm/5.5 oz if my memery serves me right....

markm
11-13-12, 07:11
I would run the right buffer for each caliber.

fixit69
11-13-12, 07:36
Run the correct buffer for each caliber, or your going to spend a lot of time running malfunction drills.

Dionysusigma
11-13-12, 11:30
I'd spend the monetary, and half-minutes' time for changing buffers, difference for the peace of mind and proper operation required for each upper.

Until I got around to building a dedicated 9mm lower, that is. https://www.m4carbine.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Todd.K
11-13-12, 13:06
The 9mm buffer does a poor job of buffering because it lacks the sliding weights of normal buffers. This can cause bolt bounce with 5.56 uppers.

You don't want a lighter buffer for blowback. I have run the H3 on 9mm some without problems. I suspect the 9mm buffer is a cheaper all steel way to get the correct weight over the tungsten in the H3, but I have not spent enough time with 9mm to claim it with certainty.

I prefer the Vltor A5-H4 with rifle spring in the standard carbine stock for controllability, if you are willing to swap out the spring and buffer.

Dionysusigma
11-13-12, 18:54
I prefer the Vltor A5-H4 with rifle spring in the standard carbine stock for controllability, if you are willing to swap out the spring and buffer.

I'm most likely misreading this... but are you saying that you put an A5 -H4 buffer and rifle spring in a standard carbine receiver extension? :eek:

Todd.K
11-14-12, 11:33
Yes. The 9mm bolt goes about 3/4" further than the bolt catch. The 9mm also has a reputation of breaking bolt catches, probably because the buffer gets a good running start at it. Some people put a stack of quarters behind the spring and buffer, heavy buffers makes a longer buffer for 9mm, and I found the A5 to work as well.

I don't know anyone else using the rifle spring with a 9mm but I found the bolt and carrier do not bottom out harshly like with the 9mm buffer and carbine spring.

wahoo95
11-14-12, 11:45
I really prefer the Slash 9Q from Heavy Buffers. It pretty much eliminates broken bolt catches, smooths recoil, and keeps the action closed a hair longer reducing port noise when using s silencer.

Ferris2son
11-14-12, 21:43
I really prefer the Slash 9Q from Heavy Buffers. It pretty much eliminates broken bolt catches, smooths recoil, and keeps the action closed a hair longer reducing port noise when using s silencer.

Slash 9Q was recomended to me on this forum. When I switched to that system all the problems I was having went away. Very impressive.

Paulinski
11-15-12, 11:24
I broke bolt catch with 9mm buffer on my 9mm AR...

Installed longer heavy buffer and bolt catch has been happy ever since...

Ferris2son
11-15-12, 20:18

Wahoo95. I think you got me into the Slash. Thanks again.