PDA

View Full Version : AK Buying Question - Compliance

Robc1219
11-13-12, 09:05
Hi,

Probably a dumb question to AK knowledgeable folks...

I know there is alot of info out there on 922 compliance, but my question is, if I'm looking to buy from someone online like GB, Gunsamerica, etc...and there is an older Maadi or Polytech with folding stock, wood pistol grip and not the typical thumb-hole stock Maadi'a came with, how do I know what I get or am getting is compliant? Is that the sellers responsibility?

Reminder - I am not an AK guru at all. I am just not interested in a CAI or IO type of AK, I prefer the Maadi type I had back in the 90's but sold (regrettably)

Thanks!

jamesavery22
11-13-12, 10:08
If the imported rifle isn't the original sporter configuration and you know it doesn't meet 922r then it's not a good idea to purchase it...

Are rifles on GB sold that are out of 922r compliance? I'm sure there are. Is it your responsibility to double check with you receive the rifle? Definitely.

If you want a Maadi then get one with a thumbhole stock. If you want it to have a pistol grip do the due diligence yourself and ensure it's 922r compliant.

Robc1219
11-13-12, 10:14
If the imported rifle isn't the original sporter configuration and you know it doesn't meet 922r then it's not a good idea to purchase it...

Are rifles on GB sold that are out of 922r compliance? I'm sure there are. Is it your responsibility to double check with you receive the rifle? Definitely.

If you want a Maadi then get one with a thumbhole stock. If you want it to have a pistol grip do the due diligence yourself and ensure it's 922r compliant.

Thanks! I would also i guess have the seller let me know in writing what the US parts are to make sure it meets standards.

Todd.K
11-13-12, 13:29
Is it your responsibility to double check with you receive the rifle? Definitely.

Nothing in the law actually requires you to check. It's not illegal to possess, just illegal to make.

SteyrAUG
11-13-12, 15:15
Nothing in the law actually requires you to check. It's not illegal to possess, just illegal to make.

Thank you.

922r compliance is only the responsibility of the manufacturer. There is zero responsibility for anyone else to verify compliance.

jamesavery22
11-14-12, 07:34

Did not know that. Thank you.

cma g21
11-15-12, 09:35

Yes, but I'd want proof that's how I bought it (so I don't get accused of being the one that 'made' it non-compliant). Even being acquitted, can bankrupt a person...

Personally, I'd just replace the FCG (assuming it hasn't already been). Good idea on most Maadi's anyways. If the folding stock is US made, then only one other listed part would need to be changed (again, assuming it hasn't already been). The pistol grip would be the cheapest and easiest to replace with a US made part, either the cheap Tapco copy of the OEM grip, or an 'improved' grip (I prefer the Hogue). The forearm/handguard could also be changed easily and relatively cheaply.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

But that's just what I'd do, and YMMV.