PDA

View Full Version : Help ón deciding ón rails for new project

kajen
11-13-12, 10:41
Hey there i am putting together a new gun to have as a shtf gun, but i Cant decide ón what rail system i should Throw ón it...
The rail needs to be 12-13 inches and Work with a vltor lowprofile gasblock and a noveske 14.5 barrel and a hera arms linear comp.

Please Throw some suggestions at me, was thinking an urx3 but hard to find here

Heres a pic of the project so far
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1991/imageyqr.jpg

Inkslinger
11-13-12, 11:10
My suggestion would be to read the stickies. You would probably get more bites in AR general discussion.

kajen
11-13-12, 11:15
ok... read the sticky it said this was the place to ask question about my custom build so i figured it was the right subforum ..

if its misplaced maybe some moderator can move it instead of me making a duplicate thread?

bodhisattva
11-13-12, 16:16
The URX is one helluva rail but they can be hard to find and install. Geissele makes a rail along the same lines as the URX though and they offer it in tan so it could match your upper and lower.
http://geissele.com/mkii.aspx

Just curious, are you from the US? The accents on some of your "o"s is throwing me ha.

IYAAYASwarrior
11-13-12, 16:19
What's up with the apostrophe over the o's?

bodhisattva
11-13-12, 16:27
What's up with the apostrophe over the o's?

I'm guessing the OP is from outside of the US. Accent marks and mentioning that URXs are hard to find "here" (though this true of America as well :P ) seem like dead giveaways.

Col_Crocs
11-13-12, 17:11
I'm guessing the OP is from outside of the US. Accent marks and mentioning that URXs are hard to find "here" (though this true of America as well :P ) seem like dead giveaways.

So is the auto sear pin hole. ;)

og556
11-13-12, 17:26
Is weight a consideration ?

If not then maybe a rail from LaRue Tactical, Geissele, or the Daniel Defense RIS II. These are all extremely durable rails but very different in their own ways.

If weight is a consideration then go with a Centurion Arms, NSR, or even Troy/VTAC tubular handguard.

Personally I am torn between the LaRue 12" or Daniel Defense RIS II for my next rifle.

bodhisattva
11-13-12, 17:29

:eek:

I'm so conditioned to seeing plaine ol' semi AR lowers that I missed that extra hole.

Inkslinger
11-13-12, 18:37
Good eye.

OP take a look at the Evolution by Samson/Rainier. They have one that's 12.37".

jbo723
11-13-12, 18:37
In the end, rails end up being a personal preference. As long as its from a quality manufacturer, any one they offer should serve you well.

Having said that, I think asthetically, the Sand color Geissele, DD RIS II, Troy, or URX III/3.1 would look pretty cool on what you have so far.

MrSunday
11-13-12, 18:57
I like Daniels Defense and Centurion rails for my rifles.

HaydenB
11-13-12, 19:00
Noveske NSR. Buy it, install it, love it.

If you need more convincing: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1441132#post1441132

kajen
11-14-12, 02:36
The URX is one helluva rail but they can be hard to find and install. Geissele makes a rail along the same lines as the URX though and they offer it in tan so it could match your upper and lower.
http://geissele.com/mkii.aspx

Just curious, are you from the US? The accents on some of your "o"s is throwing me ha.

hard is not the word here lol its damn near impossible , even in the us it seems..
that geiselle rail looks nice that one will be in my considerations , as well as the noveske NSR another user mentioned , color is not important since the whole gun will be multicam or a-tacs covered

no i am not from the US , im from scandinavia , that ` on the o´s are my ipads autocorrect bugging me hehe sorry for that

i know it comes down to personal prefrences at the end , i did this thread to gather some inspiration from all you good folks in here , so.. keep em coming :)

anyone who have tried the german oberland arms TRH II ? looks like a mix between URX and DD ?

kajen
11-14-12, 02:44
it looks very nice , and i see vltor adoptes the keymod system on their new vis uppers , does the covers stay in place properly in that system im guessing you just pull backwards on the covers to get them off?

Noveske NSR. Buy it, install it, love it.

If you need more convincing: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1441132#post1441132

ROG Tactical
11-14-12, 02:49
Be aware that not all handguards will fit your upper receiver. From your picture, the Geissele, Troy/VTAC Alpha, Centurion Arms, and many others that have anti-rotation tabs, will not fit your receiver without modification.

kajen
11-14-12, 03:01
Be aware that not all handguards will fit your upper receiver. From your picture, the Geissele, Troy/VTAC Alpha, Centurion Arms, and many others that have anti-rotation tabs, will not fit your receiver without modification.

did not think of that , but yeah youre probably right the Hera upper is very similar to the MUR-1 upper in design and shape..

but its not a major problem , just have to spend some time at the cnc machine

ra2bach
11-14-12, 12:15
may be silly of me to ask but it appears you are outside of the US - can you even get US products where you are?

Inkslinger
11-14-12, 12:33
Not necessarily.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-114186.html

HaydenB
11-14-12, 13:46
it looks very nice , and i see vltor adoptes the keymod system on their new vis uppers , does the covers stay in place properly in that system im guessing you just pull backwards on the covers to get them off?

The accessories are very solid. To get them off you have to lift a tab (with something like a screwdriver) and pull back at the same time.

ROG Tactical
11-14-12, 16:21
Not necessarily.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-114186.html

Yes, you are correct, the MUR-1A will accept any rail that a standard M4 pattern receiver would, but there is another version of the MUR that Noveske uses, that will not accept many of these rails with anti-rotation tabs, without some modifications. The OP's receiver looks to be in the same boat as the "less compatible" MUR. Here is a pic showing the difference between the two versions of MUR receivers.

http://s4e5fc2d16a332.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/e5/fc/2d/16/a3/32/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/h/chainsaw_murs_-_side-by-side.jpg

Inkslinger
11-14-12, 17:14
Is that because of dimensional differences in the area where the gas tube enters the upper? Or is it because of the extra material between the dust cover and end of the receiver? Not that I plan on buying a VLTOR upper, just interested.

ETA: By dimensional differences, I do mean externally. I didn't want you to think I was talking about the gas tube hole. ;) you never know with some people. Carry on.

Yes, you are correct, the MUR-1A will accept any rail that a standard M4 pattern receiver would, but there is another version of the MUR that Noveske uses, that will not accept many of these rails with anti-rotation tabs, without some modifications. The OP's receiver looks to be in the same boat as the "less compatible" MUR. Here is a pic showing the difference between the two versions of MUR receivers.

http://s4e5fc2d16a332.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/e5/fc/2d/16/a3/32/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/h/chainsaw_murs_-_side-by-side.jpg

bleaman225
11-14-12, 17:16
Is that because of dimensional differences in the area where the gas tube enters the upper? Or is it because of the extra material between the dust cover and end of the receiver? Not that I plan on buying a VLTOR upper, just interested.

This one...
I have no idea why that hole is so damn big?

ROG Tactical
11-14-12, 17:36

ETA: By dimensional differences, I do mean externally. I didn't want you to think I was talking about the gas tube hole. ;) you never know with some people. Carry on.

This one...

bleaman225's answer is spot on! Regarding that massive hole...that was one of the Noveske Chainsaw MUR receivers...I don't know what's up with that gaping hole...lol. That was the only oddball receiver from the batch I received and it remains a paperweight on my desk.

Inkslinger
11-14-12, 19:56
This one...

Gotcha. I would think that large of a hole could be problematic. OP said he's got a mill (jealous) so that should be an easy mod.

kajen
11-15-12, 03:04
may be silly of me to ask but it appears you are outside of the US - can you even get US products where you are?

some products are available in europe but far from all , and mostly at insane prices, for instance a swedish shop will charge in the area of 600 dollars for an UBR stock lol ..
but i can get parts from the US.

Gotcha. I would think that large of a hole could be problematic. OP said he's got a mill (jealous) so that should be an easy mod.

i have 2 :) one smaller 4 axis hoppy machine and a larger 5 axis machine , best investements ever !!

The accessories are very solid. To get them off you have to lift a tab (with something like a screwdriver) and pull back at the same time.

ah ok that makes sense that theyd make some locking system , NSR is probably one of the favs. right now