PDA

View Full Version : any tips for installing a clamp style gas block ???

stormblue
02-15-08, 00:07
What is the "right way" to install a clamp style gas block?
Are there any steps beyond applying a little red loctite and tightening the screws appropriately?
Do I need to get out the half inch drive breaker bar? :)

VA_Dinger
02-15-08, 15:56
I would send it off to Adco to have it permamently pinned in place.

KevinB
02-16-08, 00:57
I would send it off to Adco to have it permamently pinned in place.

+1

I have no use for a non pinned block.

Ellery Holt
02-17-08, 04:06
When the Vltor clamp-on gas block/sight is installed correctly, the barrel index pin will shear before the gas block ever shifts on the barrel (over 100 ft/lbs of rotational torque).

http://web.pdx.edu/~portinga/torque12.jpg

KevinB
02-17-08, 10:03
However rotational torque is not the only issue at play -- direct impact with move a gasblock that is not pinned in.
I've had it happen.

Harv
02-17-08, 10:46
Yup... I'm with Kev.. if it's not pinned.. It's not going on my barrel...

Gas block only has to screw up on me once..

But I know... the "Range Only" crowd say's that it's good enough and pinning is over kill..

In that case if your using it for that purpose, then it does not matter how you do it...

In my book there is no "Right Way" for a clamp cause I don't think the clamp itself is the right way...

C4IGrant
02-17-08, 13:56
Pinning a gas block is always a good idea. With that said, I feel that if you install a clamp GB (the way we do it) and the GB is sitting under a rail, it will never come loose.

We first degrease the barrel and GB. We then put green loctite on the gas port area. The GB screws are then degreased coated with rocksett and then torqued on with 50-60 inch lbs.

We have NEVER had a GB come loose or ever even shift on ANY weapon we have done.

C4

stormblue
02-17-08, 14:40
Grant,

Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to get loctite in the gas port because the gas will blow/burn it away.

Where can one purchase Rockset? I googled it and the only hit I got was in a thread in another firearm forum.

Ellery Holt
02-17-08, 15:05
Well nobody is claiming that they can't be installed incorrectly and then later fail to take abuse. The detailed, supported claims I've seen provide far more useful information for decision making than, "I had one once and it didn't work." Nevertheless, the "tactical only" crowd is going to overgeneralize into blanket condemnation for every model and method. What ever keeps their confidence in their weapon up, I guess.

C4IGrant
02-17-08, 16:10
Grant,

Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to get loctite in the gas port because the gas will blow/burn it away.

Where can one purchase Rockset? I googled it and the only hit I got was in a thread in another firearm forum.

I try and keep things out of the gas port.

I get my rocksett from SF, but am sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

C4

PALADIN-hgwt
02-17-08, 17:09
xxxxx

stormblue
02-17-08, 19:06
I try and keep things out of the gas port.

I get my rocksett from SF, but am sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

C4

Even google couldn't help my failure to spell Rocksett correctly.
I left off the second "t" once I corrected that I found in on the net.

My question about Loctite in the gas port was prompted by the fact that I couldn't visualize how I would put loctite on the gas port area and then slide a Vltor clamp gas block on the barrel without possibly getting loctite in the gas port. Of course with a split clamp design like YHM this would not be an issue.

Again, thanks for the help Grant.

KevinB
02-18-08, 00:55
Well nobody is claiming that they can't be installed incorrectly and then later fail to take abuse. The detailed, supported claims I've seen provide far more useful information for decision making than, "I had one once and it didn't work." Nevertheless, the "tactical only" crowd is going to overgeneralize into blanket condemnation for every model and method. What ever keeps their confidence in their weapon up, I guess.

The blocks on these rifles where rocksett by an armorer -- however they where used with a BOTB suppressor - and impacts from rope and para decents - as well as impacts through a competition (another went down in Benning giving a buddy of mine a bolt action SPR for a spotter gun).

I depend upon my work guns for the life of myself, my team and our clients and I will not accept a non pinned block.

I am sure Grant's method would work, and many have had sucess with clamped blocks -- however I for one -- only need to see the fact that USSOC recalled all non pinned blocks for the SPR/MK12's to pin them. Thats shows that there is obviously an issue --- maybe not an issue all would be affected by - but if your planning on trusting your life to a weapon you want to ensure you can take the most Murphy accessible issues that you can.

DocGKR
02-18-08, 01:38
KevinB is 100% correct--if it is not pinned, I don't want it. Period. Every clamped/screwed gas block/FSB system, including those using both red loctite and rocksett, that has been tried by USG/DOD organizations to date has eventually failed in extended field conditions, rendering the weapons unusable--not a good condition in a combat zone... Pinning works; why not go with a design proven to reliably and consistently work time-after-time in harsh conditions and hard use vs. something that does not have such a good track record?!?!?

C4IGrant
02-18-08, 09:30
KevinB is 100% correct--if it is not pinned, I don't want it. Period. Every clamped/screwed gas block/FSB system, including those using both red loctite and rocksett, that has been tried by USG/DOD organizations to date has eventually failed in extended field conditions, rendering the weapons unusable--not a good condition in a combat zone... Pinning works; why not go with a design proven to reliably and consistently work time-after-time in harsh conditions and hard use vs. something that does not have such a good track record?!?!?

I agree that pinning is the most robust way to go.

I do question though, the method that some of the failed GB's were attached and or if they were using a clamp GB.

Here are some questions that I would have to see answered before I would totally discredit the method in which we install GB's:

1. Did they use a clamp model GB?
2. Was the GB covered by the rail?
3. Was the barrel, GB and screw degreased properly?
4. Did they use green loctite on the barrel?
5. Did they use rocksett on the screws?

Most people use red loctite on their gas block screws. This is a not a good choice as red loctite does not have a high enough temp threshold.

C4

Harv
02-18-08, 16:19
Ellery Holt

Oh, I see.. if we disagree with your method, we are "Tactical Only" and we just overgeneralize based on experience.

Puhleeze.....

Guys who's experience is well documented stick with Pinned Gas blocks for a reason. Post all the pics of a sheared pin you want...Mine will always get pinned and that is what I will always recommend.

Ellery Holt
02-18-08, 19:35
The original poster asked how to correctly install a clamping gas block. Some here offered him advice to that end and I offered evidence that such a method can be very strong and robust.

Some other posts don't respond to the guy's question but instead serve to tell how absolutely black and white; how very my-way-or-the-highway things can be for those with the very highest, very Tier-One standards.

[shrug]