PDA

View Full Version : PDQ Ambi-Bolt Release

jet66
11-14-12, 13:11
Has anyone seen or used one of these? PDQ Ambi-Bolt Release. (http://tealbluebravollc.com/index.html) The concept is nice. I was able to handle a rifle with one installed (and talk to the creator) and it felt solid. It requires just a small notch/groove that needs to be cut in the side of the lower, but could it be enough to substantially weaken the receiver?

Noodles
11-14-12, 14:33
I went to the site, I clicked the Install video... I stopped when it said Dremel tool. No thanks.

The_Hammer_Man
11-14-12, 15:16
IF you looked at the hyperlinks above the video you can d/l the MILLING instruction as well.

I did.

Gonna fiddle with this a bit to see if worth a hoot.

Looks promising.

To answer the OP's secondary question about receiver durability after you make the cut... Not sure it will make a huge difference on a semi auto. This is one of those.. "I dunno.. yet!" thangs :)

Noodles
11-14-12, 15:43
Maybe I'm traditional, but I'm not sure I'd remove that much material from my AR lower (certainly not my SBR lowers!) just to get a bolt release on the right side of the gun.

Sure as hell not with a dremel tool and some paint to cover the inevitable oxidization. Mill seems only slightly better. I guess I would considering a factory built lower with the slot, but none of this really seems like a priority to me for the resulting function.

jet66
11-14-12, 16:14
He recommended the milling approach in person, the Dremel was more of a 'you can DIY, very carefully, if you really wanted to.' I'd rather have a lower made for it from the beginning, as well, just because of the as-for-now unknowns that come with long-term use after cutting the lower. The inventor/creator (and actual gunsmith) seemed pretty confident with it, but I was looking to see if anyone else had any input. I tried searching for any info on it here and didn't find anything else.

Seekins has a lower that comes built with an ambi release. After buying a lower, the PDQ, and paying someone to mill it, the price is probably a wash. The Seekins lower looks like it is a really nice piece on top of that, to boot.

ldub5818
11-14-12, 16:21
I got lucky and an lgs had an lwrc operator which has their ambi lower. And not just a release, a true catch/release. And not some random button thing, an actual ping pong paddle. The IC architecture that will be their entire line soon will sport the same lowers, except the will be forged not billet as the operators are.

trinydex
05-15-13, 14:10
http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

spdldr
05-15-13, 17:03
It's a nice idea, but one that has been thought of a long time ago. Camp Perry match shooters have been using it for years, albeit with a much less elaborate tab for your finger. I notice that there is a patent pending, but that may be difficult to complete due to the prior art.

joshua79109
07-15-13, 20:33
Not sure where yall ended up on this, but I have one on and I'm going to install another one on another AR in the next few days.

I thought the install was fairly simple. I put ARs together though and mess with this sort of stuff. I'd imagine it's not for everyone.

I used a dremel tool.

I understand that some folks don't care for this sort of stuff and that's ok. I get some good function out of it.

Here's a pic of mine:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww180/joshua79109/IMAG0746_zpscf636ad6.jpg

justin_247
07-15-13, 22:13
This looks very similar to the bolt release on the Remington RGP.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20130116_140412_zps53639c60.jpg

MistWolf
07-15-13, 22:23
That little cut isn't going to make any practical difference in the strength of the lower. Remember, the lower takes very little stress.

The cut is very easy to make. My concern is whether or not I could release the bolt with my trigger finger. Looks like a bit of a stretch

montrala
07-16-13, 03:51
PDQ is wokrs same as HK416A5 ambi bolt release (HK version is clever design and works good with dust cover, PDQ is more crude approach and works better with dust cover removed). I wait to get OFM HK part, so for time being I installed PDQ. I already shot IPSC rifle match with it and it worked fine. I prefer it over Magpul BAD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Camera%20Awesome%20Photos/preview_image_0_5707782x_zps58c0f1e7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/montrala/media/Camera%20Awesome%20Photos/preview_image_0_5707782x_zps58c0f1e7.jpg.html)

mrvco
07-16-13, 09:49
I like it for a pre-milled lower, but I'd rather stick with my Troy ABR than break out the Dremel on my DD lower.

kwelz
07-16-13, 10:00
I agree with the general consensus here. I wouldn't mind a pre milled lower with this in it. But I am not going to modify an existing lower. I saw MAC did a video on this a while back and I thought the same thing then..

Edward_Tz
07-16-13, 11:29
Does the PDQ hit the upper receiver when you lock the bolt back? It's looking like it in the pics I'm looking at.
I'll stick with the AXTS A-DAC system.

MistWolf
07-16-13, 12:39
If you guys are afraid of making a little cut like that on your rifle, you'd better stick to ARs. Heaven forbid any of you attempt to build something as simple as a FAL:moil:

justin_247
07-16-13, 16:39
I really like the innovation that we've been seeing recently with lower receivers. We now have five kinds of ambidextrous bolt controls on various lowers:

- Simple bolt release button with no bolt catch: KAC, POF, Lancer, Mega, Seekins, Spike's.

- Bolt release / bolt catch combo button: HK 416A5, Remington RGP, PDQ.

- "Ping pong" bolt release / bolt catches on both sides of lower receiver: LWRC Individual Carbine, S&W M&P 10.

- Bolt release button and mag release/bolt catch combo: AXTS AX556.

- Bolt release/catch at bottom of trigger guard near mag well: Bushmaster BAR-10.

Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Noodles
07-16-13, 16:51
I really like the innovation that we've been seeing recently with lower receivers. We now have five kinds of ambidextrous bolt controls on various lowers:
- Simple bolt release button with no bolt catch: KAC, POF, Lancer, Mega, Seekins, Spike's.
- Bolt release / bolt catch combo button: HK 416A5, Remington RGP, PDQ.
- "Ping pong" bolt release / bolt catches on both sides of lower receiver: LWRC Individual Carbine, S&W M&P 10.
- Bolt release button and mag release/bolt catch combo: AXTS AX556.
- Bolt release/catch at bottom of trigger guard near mag well: Bushmaster BAR-10.
Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Good list.

IMO... it's a nice feature, but I'm not sure I get the big deal. If everything is going well, you shouldn't need to lock the bolt back. If things are going poorly at distance, reaching your hand around to pretty the ping pong down and rack shouldn't matter. If things are going poorly close up, you don't have time to clear a malfunction so going to another weapon is key.

I guess I get the appeal for gamers that have to lock and show clear all the time. But, for the most part, this seems like a luxury feature. And there is nothing on earth that would have me drilling and dremeling on a fighting gun just to add a luxury feature. Just my opinion though.

ps> I have the Mega ambi release... If you're not careful or used to it. Expect to now and then drop the magazine instead of the bolt ;)

Swag
07-16-13, 17:04
I don't get it. I mean I DO GET IT but I fail to see it providing actual value. My motor skills can be spotty at best under duress and this screams "fine motor skill" to me while over-complicating the AR's controls.

Edward_Tz
07-16-13, 17:08
Good list.

IMO... it's a nice feature, but I'm not sure I get the big deal. If everything is going well, you shouldn't need to lock the bolt back. If things are going poorly at distance, reaching your hand around to pretty the ping pong down and rack shouldn't matter. If things are going poorly close up, you don't have time to clear a malfunction so going to another weapon is key.

I guess I get the appeal for gamers that have to lock and show clear all the time. But, for the most part, this seems like a luxury feature. And there is nothing on earth that would have me drilling and dremeling on a fighting gun just to add a luxury feature. Just my opinion though.

ps> I have the Mega ambi release... If you're not careful or used to it. Expect to now and then drop the magazine instead of the bolt ;)
It's a lot faster to clear a double feed with an ambi lower than a legacy one. It's also a lot more fluid. Making anything easier under stress is good in my book. Other than that an ambi lower really isn't faster or better. But there is something to be said for pretty much never having to take your firing hand off the grip. Just gives you confidence that you can control the gun better. That's my experience with the AX556 anyway. Idk about this PDQ thing.

Personally I don't like the addon ambi stuff like the BAD lever or this PDQ. I'd stick with a lower made for it like the LWRC or AX556.

montrala
07-16-13, 18:01
Does the PDQ hit the upper receiver when you lock the bolt back? It's looking like it in the pics I'm looking at.

There is a relief cut in PDQ to clear upper receiver wall when in up position.

justin_247
07-16-13, 18:04
I agree. I don't see the ambidextrous bolt devices as being absolutely necessary, and I would advise against new shooters using them.

I think that they could be very useful for somebody who is very experienced with the platform or uses it for 3-gun matches. But for new shooters, it would just be a distraction.

Swag
07-18-13, 12:07
Speaking as a consumer...

Respectfully, as a right-hander, I'd be more interested in a bolt release that gave a clear indication of bolt-open condition. Maybe a combination of hi-viz yellow and tritium insert (hidden within lower till engaged).

*A few more moments to think about it and maybe an indicator may not really be beneficial either.

Tzed250
07-26-13, 20:17
Aero precision has announced a pre-milled lower for the PDQ lever.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-ambidextrous-lower

BBB
12-11-13, 12:59
Aero precision has announced a pre-milled lower for the PDQ lever.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-ambidextrous-lower

I've got one here, came with Norgon mag release as well. My only concern after mocking it up is intereference with the ejection port door causing a failure to lock the bolt on empty. Otherwise it seems like a much better solution for manual lock than a BAD. I shall see.

j-ro
01-15-15, 14:09
Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought I would mention the following: I had been in contact with the owner just prior to Christmas. I was a asking him questions about his product. He was very pleasant and informative. I believe he was a Vietnam vet. I had some follow up questions for him a few days later. When he answered the phone he told me that his wife had been taken to the emergency room. I followed up a few days later via text expressing concern for his wife with no response. Today I noticed that the website was down and the telephone number has been disconnected. I assume that something bad happened to his wife. Does anybody possess any information on what happened to his business?

quino171
01-15-15, 21:11
That is horrible. I hope all is well with him and his family.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

ag08
01-16-15, 10:18
Hopefully all is well with their family. The website is back up. Hopefully the PDQ remains in production. I'd like to give it a try.

j-ro
01-16-15, 15:47
Got an email response today from the owner. He said he was still in business. I don't know the reason for the problems with website and telephone number.