PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 TH XP 223...anybody have one?

brickboy240
11-14-12, 14:09
Well, I am still looking for an inexpensive, knock about 223 bolt gun. One that will be taken out on the ATV and will most likely get treated like the ATV! It will see dirt, rain and other bad weather. Main use is a medium range varmint rifle (coyotes, etc). Will probably launch cheapo factory soft points or hollow points from Wal Mart.

I noticed that Bud's has this Savage for cheap:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78121/Savage+11+TH+XP+223+NIKON

It even comes with a Nikon scope that looks better than the cheapo Tasco or Bushnells that come on most of these "budget package" rifles.

Anyone own one of these lower end Savage rifles?

Are rifles like this a good option or should I save my pennies for a M700 Remmy or M70 Winny?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

-brickboy240

(remember...this is not to be used in matches or on some dream hunt...a beater is what I am after...something that has more "reach" than the 1976 open sighted Mini-14 and is under 500 bucks.)

GunnutAF
11-15-12, 14:16
Yes I have one and it shoots very nicely. First accutrigger gun I owned took some getting use to but it definately a shooter! Kind of heavy though. Thats a great price- I paid more for mine! PS it will shoot the 75gr Amax fairly well for a 1:10 twist. Absolutely loves 69 gr SMK's.:D

brickboy240
11-19-12, 10:58
Yeah, for the money....it is hard to beat.

I could sure use a no frills, no nonsense 223 bolt gun and this might fit the bill.

How Savage can offer these at such a cheap price is beyond me. There is even one Savage 223 bolt gun at about 270 bucks without the scope! I have a barely used 6 power Leupold in my closet and might get this instead and put the Leupold back into service. That rifle with my scope and a set of decent rings still comes in under 400 bucks.

-brickboy240

MurtaughF3
11-19-12, 14:56
I've got the Model 11 in a .243 in the package below the xp with the bushnell scope(it's now in the closet), added a Vortex Diamondback 4x14-40 and am loving it. I shoot the cheapest ammo I can get, groups are pretty good, defianlty enough to put supper on the table. I know this is a little different what what your looking at, so I hope this helps a little. If you get the one with the Nikon scope I'm sure it will meet your needs.

brickboy240
11-19-12, 15:57
I might go the cheap route and get the Savage Axis 223 for 269 bucks and toss my Leupold 6 power on it for now. My dad used this Leupold for 2-3 seasons on his 7 mag then took it off and it has sat in my safe for about 4 years now. Quality glass just collecting dust.

I have read that Rifle Basix makes a good replacement trigger for this rifle, if I find the trigger too terrible.

Its a cheap way to get into a 223 bolt gun.

...very tempting

-brickboy240