PDA

View Full Version : Intro/First BUild

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 18:03
Hey all, Long time lurker, finally decided to pull the trigger and join to get some feedback on my build. I live in the great tater state of Idaho and love the AR/M4 platform, that said I'm relatively new to building them though I have experience sending lead down range. I would love some feed back on my parts list before the build gets underway, so let me know if anything sucks. Compliments to all the members and the site for a great black rifle community.

Lower Parts:
Noveske Chainsaw Lower
DD LPK
Tango Down battle grip
Mil spec buffer tube with H buffer
UBR stock
Magpul ASAP

Upper Parts:
BCM Middy 14.5" upper
BCM Lo-Pro gas block
Noveske KX3? Battlecomp 1.5?
Larue 13.2 rail
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Troy BUIS
Tango Down stubby grip
Aimpoint Comp M3 or Micro T1

ZGXtreme
11-14-12, 18:07
Go with the Battle Comp and T1.

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 18:09
I apologize for the double post, I didn't see my last post had been moved. Newbie mistake I guess, however I appreciate feed back and you will see I have changed my mind on some parts. thanks again.

SpankMonkey
11-14-12, 18:10
Sounds overall like a good set up. The ubr stock and larue rail will add some weight. Whats the purpose of the gun?

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 18:16
This gun will be used in several classes hopefully, I just want a quality BR that I can depend on. I like the look of the Larue rail however, if some body can suggest something different that will be more practical by all means, I would love to hear what you all have to say.

SpankMonkey
11-14-12, 18:23
This gun will be used in several classes hopefully, I just want a quality BR that I can depend on. I like the look of the Larue rail however, if some body can suggest something different that will be more practical by all means, I would love to hear what you all have to say.

If you are going to use this in classes you want to lower the weight. I would look at other rails. Drop the ubr and get a moe stock, you can always buy something different down the road.

As for optics, micro aimpoint all the way and get the BC not the pig.

nksmfamjp
11-14-12, 18:26
I would go light profile barrel and maybe a lighter rail if it will be a true carbine.

Something like a CTR, MOE or Vltor stock might still give you a good cheek weld and save weight.

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 18:55
Appreciate the input brother, I'm thinking about going with a modular rail, however with my ape arms I would like to keep it long, any suggestions on a lighter rail system? How does a SOPMOD stock sound? I would like to keep a heavier profile barrel for accuracy and temperature issues, however if I'm misinformed correct me.

jaxman7
11-14-12, 19:06
Noveske NSR, Samson/Rainier Arms Evo rail, VTAC are all good options for tubes.

Would go with another stock. Plenty to choose from:

-Magpul ACS/STR/CTR/ACS-L

-Vltor EMOD (one of personal favs)/IMOD

-B5 SOPMOD (other favorite)

Aimpoint PRO is the best deal going now for an RDS

Battlecomp over the KX3. Better choices than KX3 for your barrel length

Speaking of barrel length. Ditch the 14.5 and get a 16. By your post I assume you're new to this game. Nothing permanent. Trust me. You'll thank me later.

Good luck

-Jax

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 19:17
Much appreciated, I had the VLTOR Emod in mind and I think I'll go with it. As far as the tube I really like to Noveske NSR, as far as length 13.5? 12? 11? And the price is good to go. Will you give me some specifics of why I should ditch the 14.5 barrel (I trust your word) I would just like to know the info behind it. Thanks again to all for the input

lethal dose
11-14-12, 19:18
The rainier evo is super light and locks up great.

jaxman7
11-14-12, 19:40
Ive got the NSR 13.5 and love it.

As far as the barrel goes look at your question about the muzzle device.

What if you decide to get the 14.5 and the muzzle is pinned. Well some new super ninja black ops uber device comes out and you want to try it out on THIS gun. See my point.

An argument can also be made for the reliability advantage of a 16 over a 14.5 but I am not going there.

The main thing is to keep your opinions open when first delving into this stuff. With a pinned FH, Comp, whatever, you limit your choices. Not to mention one more example:

I bought a Centurion rail or a Rainier Arms tube which uses a stock barrel nut. Well I've decided I dont like Rainier's because it doesnt match my purse or the Centurion rail messes with my manicure and Ive decided to try Noveseke's NSR.

The NSR has a proprietary barrel nut that requires the removal of the muzzle device and gas block.

-Jax

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 19:46
Point well taken brother and I appreciate it. I will got with the 16" with a BC 1.5. How is installation with the NSR?

jaxman7
11-14-12, 20:10
Don't need the 1.5 BC with the 16";) Just the 1.0

Installation is easy with the NSR. You have to time the barrel nut just right to line up the tube correctly but its a snap. Make sure you get a gas block small enough to fit underneath that little handguard. I used a vltor set screw gas block and it worked fine.

-Jax

CLDWLL-BRD
11-14-12, 20:39
Alright I believe everything is squared away, now I can order parts. Thank you everyone for the info it's much appreciated. I will keep you all posted with pictures of the progress I make throughout the build.

HaydenB
11-15-12, 02:21
It should shape up to be a very nice rifle. I wholeheartedly agree with jaxman's recommendations of a 16" barrel, NSR, and BC 1.0.

I know its mostly a personal preference thing, but will also highly recommend a B5 SOPMOD stock.

What part of Idaho are you from?

CLDWLL-BRD
11-15-12, 09:03
That is my hope too, and if finances cooperate it should come together soon.

I'm in southeast Idaho in the tiny town Rigby, its between Rexburg and Idaho Falls.

What's the advantage of the B5, I'm still open for suggestions and would love some info from those with some trigger time behind it.

fallenromeo
11-15-12, 10:48
That is my hope too, and if finances cooperate it should come together soon.

I'm in southeast Idaho in the tiny town Rigby, its between Rexburg and Idaho Falls.

What's the advantage of the B5, I'm still open for suggestions and would love some info from those with some trigger time behind it.

The UBR is a great stock, but it is heavy. If you do decide to get it, don't buy a Mil-spec buffer tube because the UBR comes with a RE.

CLDWLL-BRD
11-15-12, 17:02
Thanks for the input brother, but I think I have ruled out the UBR for this build. As far as the Emod and B5 go, is the Emod worth the extra cash? They both appear to be SOPMOD style stocks so I am assuming the cheek weld will be similar.

PrivateCitizen
11-15-12, 17:11
Things I learned:

Use an A2 until you have a reason not to.
Use a standard M4 Stock until you know why you don't want to (or a B5)
Skip the rail until you know you why you need it.
Aimpoint PRO will save you some coin.

Why not just shave the FSB instead of the gas block?

HaydenB
11-15-12, 18:41
As far as the Emod and B5 go, is the Emod worth the extra cash? They both appear to be SOPMOD style stocks so I am assuming the cheek weld will be similar.

One of my builds has a SOPMOD, and one has a Vltor, for me the SOPMOD is superior in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, Vltor is an awesome company and they make a great product, but for my type of shooting (very tucked in and squared up) the shape and angle of the butt pad on the SOPMOD is perfect. Also, if you plan on attaching a QD swivel to the stock, the B5 is anti-rotation, while the Vltor isn't.

The fact that that the SOPMOD is cheaper, stronger, and wont rip my facial hair out is just icing on the cake.

CLDWLL-BRD
11-15-12, 19:04
Appreciate the input, I think I am leaning towards the B5, the price is good to go, however I am undecided on a QD attachment point. Do you think I should go that route?

I know the purpose of the gun, mainly a light weight carbine to train with in classes. I don't want to go cheap on the initial build and buy parts for the same gun down the road, I would rather get the parts upfront.
A2 would be good for flash suppression, but I would like a compensator.
A SOPMOD stock will give me the cheek weld I am looking for I believe.
The rail has to be light weight, and I will hang a flip up front sight, stubby grip, and a light eventually. And the NSR seems to fit the ticket.
And finally, I am not yet comfortable enough taking on shaving the FSB. I think ill just spend the extra coin on a lo pro

Col_Crocs
11-15-12, 21:38
B5 is GTG. Since this is a fresh build, you might want to look into getting an A5 buffer system as well.
also, you mentioned getting an ASAP... You still going the sling mount endplate route? Get the noveske QD endplate instead. You indicated you have long arms so i assume you have fairly large hands to go with them. I know some people who find the ASAP's ears obtrusive when charging. Highly subjective to how you charge your weapopn but it's something to consider.

CLDWLL-BRD
11-16-12, 00:57
Thanks for the suggestion brother, is transition from strong side to support side as easy with the QD end plate? Also both the SOPMOD style stocks I'm looking at have QD attachment points, are these better suited for a two point sling?

Col_Crocs
11-16-12, 03:05
The guy running it said it felt the same as when he was running the ASAP. Mine's still on. It doesnt really bother me so Ive held off replacing it for now.